Chapter 25: by the sunset

Saviour: Right Next to You

It has been almost a day, Eun Kyung was out all day relieving her stress, thinking things over and spending some quality time with herself. She has been window-shopping, sitting by the window in a coffee house watching people pass by. She went to the bank to pay off the loans only to realise someone has already settled it.Only one person came to mind, her mum.

            ‘Maybe she felt bad. Maybe it’s her way of making up for it. I should feel glad, right? I should forgive her by now right?’ Eun Kyung thought to herself as she left the bank.

           Before she heads home to end her day, she decides to go to one last place, to ease her mind- the Han River. Smiling at the thought of watching the sunset by the river, Eun Kyung made her way there fast, not wanting to miss it.

            “AJ?” Eun Kyung started for a familiar figure who sat by the river.

            Eun Kyung was just in time, the sun is indeed setting. As she came closer to the figure, Eun Kyung was sure it was indeed, her other guardian angel; AJ.

            “AJ. What are you doing here?” Eun Kyung asked, surprised to see him at the river. His head hung low. Eun Kyung sat next to him.

            AJ’s eyes were closed and he did not speak a word. Eun Kyung looked ahead, the brink of twilight exposing yellow and red hues sparkling over the river. Eun Kyung let out a sigh as she felt the weight on her shoulders was lifted off watching the Earth’s beauty. Eun Kyung smiled.

            AJ slowly opened his eyes to a beautiful horizon; the sky was the colour of warmth; red and yellow.

            “It’s beautiful.” AJ gasped in admiration.

            “It is, isn’t it?” Eun Kyung’s eyes still set on the sunset.

            ‘And to be watching such a beautiful spectacle together with someone whom I can call special, it makes it even more, priceless.’ AJ thought to himself as his eyes watched Eun Kyung for a bit before turning away. It was silent.

*

            “I did not expect to see you here of all places. It’s been while, AJ.” Eun Kyung finally broke the silence.

            As they sat by the river, the sky turned dark blue, the moon shining majestically on the night sky.

            “Yeah, it’s been a while since we spend some time together.” AJ mumbled, refusing to meet Eun Kyung’s eye.

            Eun Kyung turned to look at AJ, his body is there with her, but his soul is somewhere else. His eyes, something about his eyes are different. It has always been a warm feeling whenever Eun Kyung looked into AJ’s eye. But today, it felt cold.

            “What are you thinking, AJ?” Eun Kyung asked, softly.

            “Um, I don’t know. Stuffs?”

            “Can’t you share it with me?” Eun Kyung asked again, this time, she puts her hands over AJ’s.

            AJ showed no reaction to the touch, his mind is wandering, endlessly.

            “I’d prefer to keep it to myself.”

            Eun Kyung nods and turned to face the river again.

            “It feels different, AJ.”

            “What?”

            “We’re, distant.” Eun Kyung mumbled.

            “Maybe, something’s change.” AJ let out a sigh, as he buried his face in his hands and leaned forward.

            “You can tell me anything AJ.” Eun Kyung puts her hands on AJ’s shoulder.

            “I have nothing to tell you, Eun Kyung.”

            “I know you’d say that. Stop bottling it all up. If I can share everything with you, you can do the same.”

            “It’s…” AJ hesitated. “It’s nothing, really.”

            ‘It’s everything, Eun Kyung-ah. How my heart has always goes out to you but you never realised. I don’t know why, it hurts me more to see you with my very own best friend than with any other guy. Why Kiseop, Eun Kyung? Can’t you see the look in my eyes as I talk to you all this while? Does even a slightest of my affection reach your heart? I know I’m not really good with words. I know I can’t express myself well like Kiseop does. Just once, I want you to be able to see right through me and see that this guy right here, would give up anything to be in Kiseop’s shoes.’

Eun Kyung looked at AJ. He looked so lost and helpless, so deep in his thoughts. At this point of time, Eun Kyung badly more than ever wants to be able to read his mind, invade his thoughts. AJ has never been expressive of his thoughts, it scares her sometimes. His heart might explode if he keeps bottling everything up.

“AJ, please.”

“Just, leave me alone for a bit.” AJ whispered softly as he looked up to look at Eun Kyung’s eyes.

He had that crooked smile; it looks almost natural on him, if you don’t know him well enough. But to Eun Kyung, that smile was not enough to fool her. But she knows, it’s no use being persistent.

Eun Kyung simply nods her head, gave AJ’s shoulder a little squeeze and leave AJ with his thoughts.