Chapter 34: Three months

Saviour: Right Next to You

Eun Kyung held her mum’s hand tighter as they walked up the stairs. Eun Kyung carrying a bouquet of red roses with baby breaths entwined- both flowers were symbol of love and everlasting love respectively. Both the daughter and the mum carry a sorrowful look on their faces as they advanced up, passing by the rows of mausoleum.

            Eun Kyung tugged her mum forward as she saw a familiar spot on top of the hill they’ve been going for the past two years. They bowed their respect as they stood in front of the tomb. Hee Young kneels down, clearing the fallen dried leaves littered on the grave, removing the already lifeless bouquet of flowers they left a month ago. Eun Kyung replaced it with the fresh bouquet as she traces her fingers on the tomb and lightly kisses it.

            “Dae Ho-ah.” Hee Young started, trailing her fingers slowly on the green perfectly trimmed grass.

            Eun Kyung trudge towards her mum, kneeling next to her, putting a shoulder around her mum, giving her comfort.

            “Dae Ho-ah. I’m sorry.” Hee Young whispered.

            It’s been two years. Every single time Eun Kyung’s mum visited her husband’s grave all she did was apologised, her soul lived in remorse. Followed by-

            “I really miss you, Dae Ho.” Hee Young sobbed. “I love you, forever and always. I can never forget you, no matter how hard I try. You left such a deep impression on me. Our love… I promise, I’d take care of Eun Kyung.”

            The memory of every single moment the two shared had never once left Hee Young, every single one even the painful ones. It’s these memories that kept her alive. It’s these memories that kept her already dead husband living in her heart. She can do so much but to unwind the clock and go back to those days where she could have just stayed by their side instead of being selfish. But Hee Young knew, it was too late, and what’s done can never be undone.

            “Dad, I hope you’re happy just as we are right now. I hope you’ve gone to a better place and always watching over us. We have forgiven you, a long time ago. I love you, dad.” Eun Kyung whispered as she pulled her mum to a tight embrace.

            “It’s okay mum. Dad should have forgiven you by now. He might already have forgiven you the moment you left the house.” Eun Kyung coaxed her mum, who is crying in her arms.

            “Now, wipe those tears away. You can’t be crying every time we return back here. Dad won’t be happy. Besides, you’re ruining my dress!” Eun Kyung playfully whined at her mum.

            Hee Young stepped away and wiped her tears from her eyes. Eun Kyung, the reason she stayed strong and never crumbles. Her reason why there is always a smile on her face.

            “I’m sorry my dear. You still look the best to me.” Hee Young apologised as she cupped her daughters face and kissed her lightly on the forehead.

            “What time you’re meeting them again?” Hee Young asked as they descend down the stairs heading to the exit.

            Eun Kyung looked at her watch, “In an hour? But Kiseop’s probably going to be late, as always. His schedules never end on time.” Eun Kyung complained.

            Hee Young smiled. “Are you going to be back for dinner?”

           “Mum! We ARE meeting for dinner!” Eun Kyung stopped in front of her mum, putting her hands on her hips; giving her mum the ‘DUH’ look.

            Hee Young face palmed herself. “I’m sorry my dear. It slipped my mind.” Hee Young squeezed her daughter’s cheeks.

            “Don’t be too late. I’ll wait for you.” Hee Young kisses the top of her daughter’s head before watching her turn to walk towards the exit.


 

            ‘I’m on my way! See you guys in an hour! Love you! –Kyungie!’

            Eun Kyung locks her phone and slid it in her jeans pocket as she flag down a bus to the city.

*

            “That’s all for today, guys. Drink plenty of water and get some rest. Remember-“

            “Practice makes perfect.” AJ’s student chants his usual phrase.

            AJ greeted them goodbye as they bowed down and took their leave. AJ beamed- Just another day had ended. It has been a year since AJ opened up a dance studio to coach potential dancers or just teenagers who would like to gain another skill. AJ started small, conduction workshops regularly, until he made enough to open a dance studio. It was Lee Kiseop, his very own best friend who motivated him and gave him confidence to try something new.

            His phone began to beeped, indicating that he received a text message. He settled down on a couch outside the dance studio, quenching his thirst as he read the message. It was from Eun Kyung, he smiled. AJ took a quick shower to freshen himself up, packs his things and make his way to their usual coffeehouse where they would meet occasionally.

*

            Hoon’s head was buried under layers of papers and countless of notes. Stacks of thick books lined his study table as Hoon drifted away from reality, exhausted from a night of study. It was his final year at the college, unlike Eun Kyung who had another year to go despite them being the same age. After so long, Eun Kyung finally returned to college, despite missing out college for almost two years. Hoon had his final thesis to be completed as well as a long week of exams coming up.

            Hoon’s phone rang. He stirred for a bit in his sleep before he surrendered to the sound of loud messaging tone almost blasting his eardrums. He let out a groan, annoyed. With half-closed eyes, Hoon read the message and jerked up immediately.

            “Oh . Oh . Oh . How can I forget!” Hoon cussed as he sped to the washroom to run his face under cold water to wake himself up. Hoon tidied his desk a bit before rummaging through his wardrobe for the most comfortable clothes to wear for the meet-up. It’s been awhile. Hoon grabbed his wallet, keys and phone and head out to the coffeehouse in the city they always meet.