Ch. [30]

Rain of Blades
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You must be really confused,” Kyuhyun’s mother said. “With everything that has happened to this family, and yours.”

 

Hyukjae looked down, humming lowly as he walked around the halls of the mansion. “I’ve resigned myself knowing I will never know,” he said. “Even if I try to understand, there’s nothing I can do and no one has enough patience to explain.”

 

Kyuhyun’s mother looked at Hyukjae and smiled apologetically. “I will,” she said. “Our point of view, of course.”

 

Hyukjae looked at the woman by his side and nodded slowly. “Please do.”

 

Mrs. Cho was a beautiful and thin woman. She wore showy dresses and looked like a woman that came out from an old painting of the medieval time. “The Cho’s and the Lee’s have always been enemies,” she said. “Ever since I have memory, and believe me, that’s a long, long time ago,” she joked, making Hyukjae let out a sincere chuckle. “By the time Kyuhyun’s father came to be the head of the Cho’s, your father was already there and they decided to sign a pact to end war itself, but that wouldn’t stop them from hurting each other from time to time.”

 

“The no-harm pact was signed just a few years ago,” Hyukjae said.

 

“Exactly,” Kyuhyun’s mother smiled, turning left in one of the halls to walk towards the huge garden of the mansion. “It was because of the fight in the academy when your sister, Sora, and my son, Hankyung fought against each other,” she sighed softly. “Hankyung was going to give up, because he didn’t want to fight Sora,” she explained. “And she was fine with it because she didn’t want to fight Hankyung,” she smiled weakly. “Did you know they were lovers?”

 

Hyukjae stopped his tracks and gasped loudly. “W-What?”

 

Kyuhyun’s mother also stopped and turned around, smiling. “They loved each other quite a lot,” she continued. “We didn’t know, of course, but I think your father heard about it just before the battle and something happened, that we don’t know,” she looked down before sighing deeply. “She attacked Hankyung when he was off guard. We all knew she had great powers,” she shivered slightly. “We even thought she would soon be the queen of the world and the Cho dynasty would be forever over,” she confessed. “But it went out of control…”

 

 “Her powers had gotten enhanced for some reason and she didn’t want to use them but there was something that was making her do so,” Mrs. Cho continued. “Hankyung ended up being murdered by her, but she couldn’t control her own power anymore and desperation made a few of the audience get hurt as well. It was chaos.”

 

They continued walking slowly and mrs. Cho stopped as soon as they reached the garden. She smiled as she saw Sora running around with that boy Hyukjae had learnt was called Junsu. Kangin  and Taemin were also there, taking care of them because Sora was stripping all the time and Junsu would also fall down. “I-I didn’t know… I just-”

 

“It’s alright,” Mrs. Cho said softly. “But Sora wasn’t being controlled and she would die if she didn’t stop what she was doing. Whatever they did to her to enhance her powers was soon going to kill her and everyone in there, if not that the whole world.”

 

Hyukjae looked down. “No one told me that before.”

 

“It’s not something the Lee’s seem to like,” Mrs. Cho said, bitter, before turning towards Hyukjae. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to offend your family.”

 

“No…,” Hyukjae shook his head and looked at Sora. He had never seen his sister so happy.

 

“So then Kangin came in,” Mrs. Cho smiled as Kangin turned around and waved at them before going to play with Junsu. “He can trigger and turn off people’s powers, so he jumped in and tried to control Sora…,” she sighed softly. “Unfortunately, it wasn’t easy and as Kangin tried his best, he couldn’t save her eyes and she lost her powers instead.”

 

Hyukjae felt his whole self fall down.

 

Everything he had heard of his family was a lie and he had always defended them with nothing more to explain. He closed his eyes to try to calm down before opening them again, seeing Sora smile widely as Kangin and Taemin played with the boy.  

 

“It was until some months later that we found out she was pregnant,” Mrs. Cho said, her voice breaking. “Hankyung knew but he never told us and we knew until a spy from the Lee house let us know.”

 

Hyukjae gasped as he watched the boy carefully. “J-Junsu-”

 

“We requested the Lee’s to let us keep the baby,” Mrs. Cho said in a low voice. “We would send a letter every day, trying to convince them to let us bring Sora here and that we would take the baby into our family, as well as Sora. That baby was a Cho and it needed to be with its rightful family.”

 

“Sora never-” Hyukjae’s voice was hoarse and he wasn’t able to speak clearly. He closed his eyes, feeling his heart beating extremely fast before opening them again, realizing it didn’t help at all and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter