Chapter 40

My Imaginary Rebound [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Mia’s POV]

 

“Mia noona!?” Bambam’s legit loud voice stood out among the American-accented chit-chats in the house’s backyard that all eyes were immediately directed towards my direction. I awkwardly rolled my eyes sideways to avoid everyone’s gaze and bowed down at nobody in particular. I must have been heavily influenced by the Korean culture already that I just automatically bow my head down every time I meet people.

 

“Noona, you’re here!” Bambam was already standing in front of me, raising his hand for a high-five. This dude seriously knows how to adapt to the American culture really well. I gave him an amused smirk and did high-five with him.

 

“What’s up, man?” I , lowering my voice to match the tone of a guy who wants to impress girls with his deep, manly voice.

 

Bambam laughed. “What’s up, noona?”

 

“I honestly don’t know what I’m doing here.” I whispered. We were still standing near the gate, not moving an inch. I glanced to the direction of the homies with GOT7, and the members were all waving their hands at me. I waved back and smiled.

 

“Hey, Mark hyung! Mia noona is here!” Bambam shouted again. I felt unfamiliar pairs of eyes looking at me once more. Can Bambam just stop shouting and mentioning my name?!

 

I looked at Mark’s direction and he was already jogging his way towards us… towards me. He smiled as soon as our eyes met and I immediately felt a genuine feeling of relief and liberation from all existing dilemmas I just had minutes earlier.

 

“How was the flight?” He asked with his effortlessly deep voice.

 

“Hey Bam! Come back here!” Someone from the squad called out and Bambam immediately excused himself from the two of us.

 

“Terrible.” I honestly said, contrary to the lie I told to Papa Tuan just so he wouldn’t feel bad for me.

 

Of course, it was terrible. It was the first time I travelled alone this far and the turbulence was the worst I experienced my entire life.

 

“You surely look exhausted.” He said. “Dad already brought your baggage inside my room.”

 

I gulped what seemed like a liter of saliva. “What? Your… room?”

 

“Yeah. You’re staying at my room.” He replied, eyes filled with playful intentions.

 

“You’re not being serious, right?”

 

“I am serious.” He said, grinning.

 

“Huh! Your face surely is!” I said, dismissing his teasing attempt.

 

“Come… I’ll introduce you to my sister.” Mark said, taking a step forward. I immediately grabbed his hand to stop him. “Wait.” I said, fixing my composure and preparing a calm mindset.

 

He smirked. “It’s okay. She won’t bite.” He assured with a handsome wink.

 

We neared Tammy, her sister, who was busy grilling the barbecue with Yumi and Andrea, Joey’s Japanese girlfriend. Joey approached them to get the two kids just so they won’t get burnt or something.

 

“Hey Tammy.”

 

Tammy looked up. I felt my muscles getting numb.

 

“This is Mia. She’s uh…” Mark and I exchanged secret glances before he continued.

 

“…She’s a good friend with GOT7. She works with MBC.” Mark finally introduced me. Good friend. I don’t know if I should be disappointed or not, but that kind of introduction would do for now. Especially that Yumi is just right in front of me, not even giving a damn about my presence although we already know each other. I didn’t breathe until I heard her sister’s response.

 

“Hi. It’s nice to meet you!” Her smile is so lovely and comforting it made me want to cry in front of her.

 

“No. I mean… it’s me who’s really glad to finally meet you! You’re so beautiful...” I said, totally making it obvious that I adore the cool Tuan family. “I’ve been… following you on Twitter. You’re a cool mom and an awesome sister.”

 

“Wow. Thanks.” She said, obviously pleased.

 

“You don’t have to flatter her.” Mark cut us off.

 

“Hey, can’t you just agree with what she said?” Tammy gave her bro a death glare.

 

 “I honestly adore you!” I added. She smiled at me fondly.

 

“You’re such a sweetheart.” She said. I felt my bones cringing happily as if I just heard the best set of words someone has ever framed for me.

 

“This is Yumi, she’s like part of the family already. And this is Andrea, Joey’s girlfriend. They’re both Japanese.” Tammy said.

 

“Hi.” I said. Andrea let out a pretty smile, while Yumi just stared at me blankly. She must’ve known already, and she must be really hating on me a lot by now.

 

“I like your coat.” Andrea said.

 

“Oh. Thanks.” I said, glancing at my light brown coat as if I’ve already forgotten what coat I’ve been wearing. “Unfortunately, it doesn’t have a brand so I’m not sure where you can buy something like this here. Hehe.” I awkwardly smiled. I’m not the type of person who casually talks about fashion.

 

Andrea laughed. “You’re funny. Well, I’m not after branded clothes, too.” She said.

 

“I actually just buy branded stuff when they’re on sale.” I said.

 

“Wow. You sound just like me!” Andrea was obviously amused.

 

“Mia! Come inside!” Papa Tuan suddenly called out from the door near the patio.

 

“Oh…” I muttered.

 

“Let’s go.” Mark said, and I followed suit.

 

“My mom’s roasting some turkey inside.” He said.

 

“Wow. Turkey? Your family’s insanely rich.”

 

“Ya. Don’t exaggerate.”

 

“Your house is huge.” I whispered when we stepped inside the living room. I don’t know much about American houses but theirs seems to exude a mixed modern and country vibe. The two-storey house is neat and warm and packed with people, and it smells of pepper, and butter, and onion. It feels like celebrating Christmas with the entire clan.

 

“Mom!” Mark called out as soon as we arrived in the kitchen. He gave his mother an immediate back-hug. It was so picture-perfect that I find it a waste to be witnessing it just by myself.

 

“Mom.” He pulled out from hugging her. “This is Mia.” He said, introducing me.

 

“Hello.” He smiled lovingly and reached out to hug me. I felt a different kind of warmth from her touch. It made me suddenly miss home.

 

“Welcome to LA.” She said.

 

“Thanks.” I said, unable to stop myself from smiling.

 

“I met this kid when I watched the show in Hong Kong. It was so funny back then.” Papa Tuan said.

 

I don’t know how to react properly with this whole situation I am in. Mark hasn’t even told his mother yet on who I really am aside from the fact that my name is Mia, but her mother is already acting as if she knows me and has been hearing a lot about me. It’s as if she has been expecting to see me today.

 

“Let me help you with the cooking.” I offered.

 

“No… no… it’s okay. Have some rest. I’m sure you’ve had a tiring day.” Her smile was filled with concern.

 

“I’m fine.” I smiled.

 

“Mia enjoys cooking though.” Mark said.

 

“Really?”

 

“My mom’s a chef. We run a small family restaurant back in our hometown.”

 

“Your mom really raised you well.” She said, smoothing her palm on my hair and looking at me fondly. Tears were suddenly lurking inside my eyes. I didn’t know I could get home-sick after meeting Mark’s mom. I should probably convince my parents to spend Christmas in Korea so I could get to see them again.

 

“But you’ll be here for a couple of hours only. You should go outside and enjoy the company of Mark’s friends. They’re a bunch of funny kids. You’ll enjoy hanging out with them.” His mom said.

 

“Mom, can we eat first? I’m planning to take Mia out for a ride.” Mark asked his mom. I felt my own lips slowly curving into a smile as I imagined myself with Mark on a car, making our way to downtown LA. I mean, how cool is that?

 

“Yeah. Sure.” Her mom responded at once, placing two plates on the table with a few delectable dishes. She turned to me saying, “The boys will have a packed schedule tomorrow so today’s the best time to have a quick city tour.” She winked at me coolly. I grinned excitedly.

 

---

 

I inhaled the perfection that is Los Angeles as we cruised our way downtown, passing through miles of picturesque coastlines and expansive landscapes – the skies a perfect shade of scarlet and blue. Driving the car with one hand and dressed in a laidback gray pullover perfect for a boyfriend material, Mark rolled the top down of the convertible car and we watched the sun go down in the most breath-taking fashion.

 

“Wooooooooooooooh!” I stood and embraced the wind as the stunning view rendered me speechless for a while. It was one of those moments that I wasn’t quite sure if I was there or if I was just trapped in a beautiful dream - breathtaking scene, the cold wind against my cheeks, and the beautiful man on the steering wheel.

 

“Ya! Sit down! It’s dangerous!” He yelled out in between laughs, totally amused at my silly actions, and when the sun has finally set, he rolled the top up again.

 

“Wow!” I blurted out. “The sunset here in the City of Angels is just… wow!” This short road trip in the West Coast has totally left me in complete awe.

 

He chuckled. “Glad you’re enjoying the ride. There are a lot of scenic spots around LA. This isn’t even one-eighth of the whole picture yet.”

 

“You know, I’ve always wanted to have a road trip in the US.” I said, glancing at him. “Thanks for granting me one of my life’s bucket list.”

 

He smiled bac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter