Chapter 34

My Imaginary Rebound [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Mia’s POV]

 

Music Cue: SISTAR – Hold On Tight

 

Swiftly and ever so smoothly, he grabbed my left hand and I was noticeably startled at the sudden touch. He turned his palm down, as if covering my hand with his, and held me tight. I couldn’t hide the smile on my face upon the sudden palm-to-palm contact, and when I caught him peeking through his cap to see my reaction, he subconsciously bit his lower lip. His fascination for his own lips is seriously getting out of hand. I exhaled deeply through my own tightly pressed, pursed lips while trying to get a grip of the situation. Mark Tuan is just divine.

 

As soon as we got off the cable car, he wore back his mask and casually held my hand once again while walking back to the area where the car was parked earlier. I panicked in my head for the very obvious reasons that some fans might spot and recognize him. But instead of holding back, he intertwined his fingers onto mine. When my hand did not seem to respond, he glanced at me, cocking his head to one side.

 

“Hold onto me… tight.” He said with his deep commanding voice beneath the mask.

 

My eyes widened, surprised by his words and hesitantly, I clutched my fingers into his. He was tightly holding me as if not wanting to let go.

 

I coughed before materializing the words in my head. “I didn’t expect I’d get to hear Mark Tuan saying such words to me in this… lifetime.” I glanced at him and cheekily smiled.

 

He chuckled. “One of these days, you’ll be the one telling me those same exact words.”

 

“I’m kind of afraid it might happen too soon, though.” I laughed at my own straightforwardness and continued walking.

 

We raced through the streets as we headed towards the southeast part of Daegu in his manager’s heavily tinted car and excitedly stepped out of it when we arrived at Suseong Lake. Mark unmasked himself again. The summer air was starting to get humid so we decided to cool down near the lake and enjoy the view.

 

“Is that an amusement park over there?” I pointed.

 

“I think?” Mark assumed.

 

“Shall we take a look?”

 

“I think there’d be a lot of people in there.” Mark stated.

 

I nodded my head. “Right. I forgot I’m with a KPOP star.” I chuckled.

 

“You like amusement parks?” He asked.

 

 “Yeah. I mean, who doesn’t like amusement parks?” I laughed.

 

“I can’t take you inside that amusement park for now but I’d definitely bring you to California Disneyland one day. It’s the best!” He proudly said, raising both of his thumbs.

 

“Really?!” Unknowingly, I was jumping off my feet out of excitement. It was like indirectly saying that he’d take me to his hometown with him.

 

“You sound so happy.” Mark laughed.

 

“It’s my dream to visit all the Disney parks in the world. I’ve only visited the one in Hong Kong. I still have four to go.” I chuckled.

 

“I’m planning to go home for Christmas, but I’m still not sure if JYP PD-nim will approve of it. We still have to check our schedule.”

 

“Oh my god. So, if you’re going home for Christmas, I’m… uh… like… is it possible if…” I was stuttering and couldn’t even complete my own sentence because the thought just sounded so unbelievable.

 

Mark was nodding his head, grinning. “Sure, you can come with me. The others also mentioned that they want to go back to LA.”

 

“Ohmygod. I need to make a lot of money now!” I stated with firm resolution as if going to Disneyland is a do-or-die thing.

 

Mark laughed, and looked at something right behind me. “Hey, stay here while I grab some ice cream for us.”

 

“Oh. Okay. Be careful.” I whispered the last two words like a secret agent on a mission.

 

I took a better look of the view by the lake as I waited for Mark to come back with the agreed cookies-and-cream-flavored ice cream. The sun was partially covered by the clouds, making it an ideal time to roam around the place. I closely observed the people walking nearby and it seemed to be a safe place for us since I could rarely spot some teenagers and everyone seemed to be having a world of their own.

 

And then I saw him.

 

I froze for a moment, not really trusting what I was seeing. It’s been more than a year since we last talked.

 

He was alone, casually-dressed, with a DSLR camera on his grip, busily taking photos of the view and the people. I remembered that he always had a passion for photography, and whenever he got some free time, he would go places.

 

My knees wobbled as soon as his camera lens was aimed at my direction. I didn’t know if I should just keep my feet on the ground -- not moving -- or if I should turn back and pretend that I didn’t see him. But it was very evident in my face. I did, in fact, see him.

 

Still, I turned my back away from him.

 

“Mia!” He called out. I held my breath for seconds.

 

With a brave soul, I turned around and looked at him. He looked surprised… amused… happy? I actually couldn’t quite decipher.

 

He jogged his way towards me, hanging the camera around his neck.

 

“Hey Mia! How are you? It’s been ages!” His smile looked so carefree as if everything has been perfectly fine between us.

 

“Hoya.” I mentioned his name for the first time in a long time.

 

“Hey. Let’s not be awkward. It’s been over a year!” He said, grinning, and it was honestly pissing me off. “Why did you deactivate your Facebook account?”

 

“I made a new one.” I coldly replied.

 

“Oh. And you blocked me on Instagram.” He stated, looking sorry for himself. “Anyways, I miss you! I really do!” He was smiling again. It looked so gay. Why did my first romantic relationship end up with this kind of guy?

 

Everything happens for a reason, Mia.

 

And then all of a sudden, he flung his arms around me, hugging me tight. My jaw suddenly tightened.

 

“You’re one of the most genuine people I’ve ever met. I feel sorry that we ended that way. I should’ve tried to save the friendship.”

 

And for a moment, I softened.

 

“Some things are just not meant to happen.” I murmured.

 

Just then, I heard someone cough from my back.

 

Mark!

 

I lightly pushed Hoya away, and immediately straightened the crumple on my shirt. I cleared the lump in my throat before looking at Mark.

 

“Heyyy…” I awkwardly said, and Mark handed me the ice cream. He gave me a questioning look.

 

“This is uh… Hoya. He was an exchange student in our university back then.” I started.

 

“And this is uh---”

 

Wait, I can’t tell Hoya his name. He might recognize him.

 

“This is uh… Raymond.” I lied. I don’t know what got into my system that I mentioned that name out of all names in the planet. I glanced at Mark and he was trying so hard to hold in his laugh. It was almost contagious. Good thing that the ice cream he was eating had a great job in concealing the amused look on his face. We could’ve gotten busted. “He’s an American-born Chinese.” I added.

 

“Hey. Nice to meet you.” Hoya offered his hand, and Mark received it politely. They shook hands and my unconventional way of thinking was messing with my brain again.

 

No, there’s no way that these two would click.  

 

“I can see that you’re doing great, Pucca.” Hoya uttered after they shook hands. He had his half-smile on his face while I stand there like a lifeless pagoda; my ice cream melting on my hand.

 

Pucca. Why should he mention something that would bring back bittersweet memories?!

 

“I have to go. Hope to see you around!” He beamed. And just like that, he left.

 

“Hey.” Mark shook the life in me, motioning at my melting ice cream.

 

“Oh…” I said, immediately eating the ice

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter