Chapter 35

My Imaginary Rebound [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Nikki’s POV]

 

Soothing Korean Indie songs were playing on the background inside a cozy photography café located in the outskirts of Seoul as I waited alone at a corner, sipping on my favorite green tea latté. Since I arrived in Seoul two hours ago, I couldn’t stop contemplating on whether I should get myself dragged into this kind of situation or not. But then, life’s up for grabs. We’re not prophets. And so, my two feet made their way to this very spot, with my head endlessly thinking of the many possible reasons why he suddenly contacted me for a meet up.

 

“Nikki!”

 

I heard the familiar voice calling my name, and I immediately glanced to the direction where the voice came from.

 

Instantly, I smiled upon seeing him. It has been so long since we last saw each other. And despite everything that has occurred in the past, I couldn’t deny that we somehow had a remarkable friendship back then; considering that we both shared the same passion for travel and photography.

 

“Hoya!”

 

“Whoa! Oraenmaniji?” He was all smiles as he sat on a chair in front of me.

 

“Yeah. I’d probably be getting a serious smack down from Mia once she knows that I’m meeting you without telling her.” I said, taking another sip of the green tea latté.

 

“I actually saw her earlier at Daegu.”

 

“You did?!” I asked, surprised.

 

“Yeah. He was with that guy named uh… Raymond… I think?” He said, a little unsure of the name.

 

“Raymond? Who the heck is Raymond?” I had a puzzled look on my face.

 

“You don’t know him? He’s that American-born Chinese guy with height of around 5’7” or something…” He started describing.

 

I coughed.

 

American-born Chinese? Is he talking about Mark Tuan?

 

And then I laughed so hard when realization hit me.

 

Right, Raymond! How could I not get it?!

 

“What’s funny?” He curiously asked.

 

I pursed my lips to stop myself from laughing. “Nothing. So, what’s up?” I asked.

 

“Well, first of all, thanks for not blocking me on Facebook.” He said.

 

“Yeah. But I unfollowed you so I won’t see any updates from you on my newsfeed.” I laughed.

 

“Thanks for your honesty.” He chuckled.

 

“My pleasure.” I sarcastically replied, sipping on my latté. “Go grab a drink first before we get down to business.” I said.

 

He immediately stood, laughing. “You’re still bossy as ever.”

 

“I was raised this way.” I said with a poker face.

 

“Right. I forgot you were the student body president.” He chuckled.

 

“Is it Throwback Thursday yet?” I playfully asked.

 

“Fine. I’ll stop talking for now.” He left and a moment later, he came back with a Caramel macchiato on his grip.

 

“So, what have you eaten that you decided to message me on Facebook?” I directly asked, leaning my elbows on the table.

 

He then looked at me straight in the eye, took a deep breath and said, “Well, I want us to be friends again... And Mia. Of course.”

 

I paused for a moment, taking in his words. “Friends. Again.” I slowly repeated.

 

“I know best friends have this universal law that whoever becomes your best friend’s enemy automatically becomes your enemy as well. So if I have to make use of that kind of logic, I have to earn back your friendship so I could also become friends with Mia again.” He stated.

 

“Why?”

 

“Why?” His eyebrows creased, obviously confused.

 

“Why do you want the three of us to become friends again?”

 

“Because… I miss hanging out with the two of you.”

 

“And?” I raised my eyebrows in curiosity.

 

“And honestly… honestly, you’re the only people in this world who actually know the real me.” He sincerely said.

 

And that hit me. I was silent for a moment, trying to digest his words. “The REAL you.” I repeated. “By that, do you mean your preferences?”

 

He nodded. “I was never open about it. And you know how the Korean society works.”

 

“I thought you were seeing somebody else.”

 

“Yeah. But it was a mess. Everything was a mess. I even considered going back to Mia. Because I feel like she would still accept me even after that revelation.”

 

“What?! What do you even mean by that?”

 

“I’m still trying to explore my preferences. I’m still confused.”

 

“How old are you that you’re still going through some sort of identity crisis?”

 

Hoya laughed. “Trust me. I’m still on that age where I have the right to have an identity crisis.”

 

I exhaled deeply before throwing another response. “Anyways, stop feeling so burdened about it. The society today is more open about the whole LGBT thing than you think. You see, love wins.” I winked, referring to the history-making decision in the United States granting marriage equality for same- couples.

 

Hoya laughed again. “Thanks for taking my case seriously.”

 

“Yeah. But you’re not going back to Mia. You’re still confused and you’re trying to win her back? She doesn’t deserve to become the subject of your experimental game.” I strongly said.

 

“Yeah. I know. I just want the three of us to be friends again.” His eyes were like longing for something important. Or maybe it was just me.

 

“A year has passed. Mia has moved on. She’s happy now. If you’re going to be fully honest with her, I think it won’t be impossible to win the friendship back.”

 

“Really?” His eyes lit up.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“So, she’s dating that Raymond guy now?”

 

“Eyy. I’m not in the position to tell you anything about her dating life. As far as I know, you are yet to earn back her friendship.”

 

“Right. But, how about us? Are we friends now?”

 

“As long as Mia’s okay, I’ve got no problem with the whole friendship thing.” I grinned.

 

“Oh. Good thing you’re in Seoul today.”

 

“I just arrived actually. I’ll be watching Inkigayo tomorrow.”

 

“Forever a fangirl, huh?”

 

“There are some things that you just can’t change.” I smirked.

 

“How about Mia? Has she fallen out of love with KPOP?”

 

“No way… She’s even d….” I cut myself off and mentally slapped my own mouth. “She’s even dreaming about KPOP dudes these days. Hehe.”

 

“What? You guys are so funny.” Hoya laughed. “Why didn’t she come to Seoul with you?”

 

“She’s a bit busy with our upcoming filming for the next few episodes.”

 

“Right. You’re working with KTO and MBC now. You’ve really come a long way.” He had a proud smile on his face.

 

“Been stalking us on Facebook, huh?”

 

“I have to admit myself guilty for that one.” He chuckled. “So, where are you staying now?

 

“Well, uh… I just realized I lack Seoulster friends. I might be renting some sort of backpacker’s inn for tonight.”

 

“You can stay at my apartment then.”

 

“What? No way. You’re still having your identity crisis!” I opposed.

 

Hoya laughed out loud that the other people inside the peaceful café immediately turned their heads on our direction. He automatically bowed his head down as an apologetic gesture.

 

And then he turned his attention back to me, lowering his voice. “Ya. Shut it. I have a guest room. You can get yourself locked and stay there as long as you like.”­­­­

 

“Oh.” I pretended to be in a deep thought before responding, “Well… uh… if you’re asking for it… and… it’s free… so…”

 

“Ya. Stop stuttering. Let’s just go.” Hoya chuckled and motioned for me to stand.

 

“Where are you staying?” I asked as I grabbed my bag.

 

“Just around the corner.” He said and I followed him out of the café until we reached an expensive-looking apartment with two security guards at the main entrance.

 

“How long have you been staying here?”

 

“Since five months ago.” He replied.

 

“Oh. With your parents?”

 

“They’re in Daegu.”

 

“Right. I forgot your hometown is in Daegu!”

 

“I live on the second floor.” He said as he pushed the elevator button. “There are rumors that some rookie KPOP group members are occupying the entire third floor and turned it into some sort of dormitory. But I never get to see them. I rarely come home.”

 

“Really? What do you do these days?”

 

“I work as an intern at KBS.”

 

“Seriously?! I thought you were studying Social Welfare?”

 

“Yeah. But, I reali

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter