Chapter 36

My Imaginary Rebound [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Mia’s POV]

 

I drummed my fingers on the table inside an Italian restaurant, anxiously waiting for his arrival. The weather has been nothing but pleasant, and the entire restaurant smelled of garlic and cheese and of tomato sauce. It was appetizingly inviting that I almost eased up from the anxiety of meeting Hoya again. While my mind was in the middle of battling which thought should come first – food or how to react upon meeting Hoya – I suddenly received a phone call from Mark. I cleared my throat, giggling by myself, and pressed the button after three rings.

 

“Hey.” His deep, warm, husky voice at the other end of the line instantly caused a fluttery feeling down the pits of my stomach.

 

“Hey.” I said back, trying not to sound too excited.

 

“I’m blonde now.” He said. I could sense him smiling.

 

I beamed, amused at the act of him reporting such detail to me “I know. I’ve seen some photos. Whoa! You seriously look like an angel or something.”

 

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” He laughed.

 

“Suit yourself.” I chuckled.

 

“What are you doing now?”

 

“I’m waiting for a friend.” I briefly replied.

 

“Friend?”

 

“Yeah. Just someone I know. What about you?”

 

“I’m playing with Coco.”

 

“Whoa. Coco again?” I laughed.

 

“What? You want to be a puppy now?” His high-pitched laugh seriously rang a bell to my eardrums.

 

“Ha-ha. Funny!” I sarcastically reacted but in the back of my mind, I was honestly thinking that Coco the Puppy is such one lucky mortal.

 

And while I was laughing, I saw him entering the restaurant, wearing my favorite hairstyle of him and rocking the plain white shirt and jeans. He glanced at me, smiling while walking his way towards my direction. My jaw suddenly tightened.

 

“Hey… uh… Mark… my friend’s already here. I’ll just call you later.” I said and hung up the phone. I didn’t even notice right away that I was talking to Mark in a whisper as if I was afraid of getting caught.

 

“Hi.” Hoya flashed a pleasant smile as I placed my phone down. I then responded with a brief, casual smile and gestured for him to sit.

 

“So, what brought you here?” I asked, trying to succeed at the casual, i’m-not-really-affected talk.

 

“Well… uh… I’ve been meaning to talk to you.” His words seemed calculated. “I’m so glad you’re here now.” I noticed a little crack in his voice telling me I’m not the only one who’s been anxious about this meeting.

 

“I felt the need to.” I honestly replied. “Why don’t we order first? The smell is such a brutal torture.” I chuckled a bit to lighten the mood.

 

“Yeah… yeah… sure…” He smiled and motioned for the waitress to hand us the menu. Minutes later, we feasted our eyes on the table filled with Italian classics – from spaghetti Bolognese, eggplant parmesan lasagna to Mediterranean frittata and some other dishes unfamiliar to me.

 

“Ya. I think this is too much for both of us.” I remarked.

 

“You mentioned that you’ll be having a meeting later, right? You can bring some to your friends.” He beamed.

 

“Well… uh… thanks. This sure is heavy but they do smell really good.” I took a deep sigh before tasting the dishes one by one. It felt like pills of pure ecstasy were being ingested to my cells.

 

“Wow. You never changed. How do you do that?!” Hoya chuckled, shaking his head in amazement.

 

I creased my eyebrows, looking at him, with fork still attached to my mouth. “What?”

 

“You eat as if you’re shooting a commercial film. It’s enticing. Makes me want to eat more.” He continued to laugh.

 

“Ya. You never changed too. You’re still fond of mocking my eating habits!” I countered and tried hard not to match his quirky laugh.

 

“It’s fun, though.”

 

“Ha! Thanks!” I replied in a sarcastic manner.

 

And in the next few hours, we talked about almost everything under the sun – from our current work and future plans, and even our failed relationship and his confusing gender preference. It’s funny how both of us just laughed about all of those things which used to be very massive issues. As each moment passed, I somehow felt happy that I made the decision of talking to him again. I have confirmed to myself that I have now fully moved on. No more strings attached or tug of romance involved. Just the warmth of talking to an old, dear friend. And it was comforting.

 

---

 

[Nikki’s POV]

 

“Wang Kong, when’s the scheduled date of your MV release?” I asked curiously as I took another bite of my Thai chicken curry.

 

“In two weeks, I think.” He casually talked and then a moment later, he paused from eating and hit his own mouth. “I’m not supposed to be disclosing that one yet.” He talked as if he was only talking to himself.

 

And although his unconventional reactions are nothing new, I still laughed.

 

“Why are you so animated?” I blurted.

 

“And you think you’re not?” He countered and both of us laughed our tummies off.

 

“You and Youngji definitely look cute together.” I randomly talked and quickly observed his reaction.

 

“Why do you keep insisting that we look cute together? Can’t you just tell me I’m cute?” He rebutted and did his signature pursed-lips smile like an adorable puppy.

 

“You seriously are becoming more of a real puppy now!” I chuckled. “And you even have blonde hair!”

 

“I’ll take that as you saying I’m cute because puppies are cute.” He said and cutely beamed before taking another sip of the noodle soup.

 

“Why do you like hearing that you’re cute?” I laughed continuously.

 

“Because I am. Fans even call me wang puppy.”

 

“Why are you so vain?”

 

“Why do you have so many questions?”

 

“Because I’m naturally curious about so many things. Why are you answering me with a question?” I countered.

 

“Because I’m also curious.” He retorted. “Hey. Are you done eating?”

 

“Yeah. I’m so full now. Seriously.” I said, holding my stomach.

 

“Okay. Let’s ask for the bill and go for a stroll for a bit.” He said, motioning for the restaurant staff.

 

“Stroll? Are you even serious?” I asked; my eyes almost forming a circle.

 

“I know what you’re thinking but I told you already, we’re just friends so no need to worry about what other people are saying.”

 

Friends… yeah…

 

“Yeah. But fans might misunderstand. It’s 8PM and Jackson Wang of GOT7 is going for a stroll with someone. That’s news!”

 

“You worry about so many things.”

 

“Someone even recognized me earlier outside the SBS Public Hall because I had photos with you and GOT7 in Instagram.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes, so don’t underestimate fangirls. They’re professionals in their field.” I laughed but with a hint of worry and what… thrill?

 

“No… no… let’s split the bill.” I stopped him when he was about to hand his card to the restaurant staff.

 

“Ya. I received my paycheck today so I’m treating you.” He proudly said, shrugging his shoulders as if it’s no big deal, and finally handed his card.

 

“Okay then. Next time, it will be me treating you.” I said.

 

“Okay. I’ll choose an expensive restaurant.” He laughed a rather evil laugh and I just playfully shot him with a devilish glare.

 

---

 

“Let’s play a game.” Jackson suggested as we strolled along the Han River.

 

“What kind of game?” I asked.

 

“Do you know the Of Course game?”

 

“You are really the crazy type, huh?” I quickly asked.

 

“What?” Jackson’s face was blank and epic.

 

“Ya! You have to answer of course!” I laughed.

 

He chuckled, clapping his hands slowly and dramatically. “You’re so quick to pick up!”

 

“Of course!” I replied, playing the game.

 

“Ya. We haven’t even started yet!” He complained.

 

“Fine… fine… let’s do this.” I laughed. “You start.”

 

“You honestly think that Jackson Wang is the cutest living creature in the whole wide world, right?” He said with an exaggerated facial expression matched by his high-pitched laugh.

 

First round of the game and I could already tell how his series of attacks would sound like. “Of course!” I said.

 

“You have to stay single for three years but you think it’s not a bad idea because you can just date any of your members without the public knowing about it, right?”I laughed at my own question. I didn’t even know what I was talking about.

 

“Yeokshi. You really have a different way of thinking.” Jackson was shaking his head in disbelief.

 

“Ya. You have to answer.” I laughed and argued.

 

“Of course!” He replied with a darkened expression on his face.

 

“You’ve never met anyone as awesome as Jackson Wang and you can’t contain your excitement every time you see him up close, right?” He beamed evilly.

 

“Of course!” I replied, not showing any hint of hesitation because what he just said was definitely true.

 

“You realize that you’re being so vain right now but you don’t really care because well, who else would praise Jackson Wang except himself, right?”

 

I could sense his blood rushing to his face with my harsh attack, causing me to laugh so hard. “Of course!” He glared.

 

“Your last attack was actually a lie and you truthfully think that I am awesome and handsome and y and my presence in itself is just too good to be true, right?” He had a proud look on his face as if he just aced an exam.

 

“Of course!” I said. “You suggested playing this game because you think it’s a good way of boosting your self-confidence, right?” I laughed.

 

“Of course!” He replied without any second thought. “You’re actually enjoying this game right now because Jackson Wang is just so funny and witty you can’t help but just laugh the whole time, right?”

 

“Of course!” I said, nodding my head in total agreement. “And you’re also enjoying this game because nobody else could match your crazy attacks better than I do, right?”

 

“Wow. Of course!” He snapped his fingers. “You’re definitely sticking with me an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter