Chapter 22

My Imaginary Rebound [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Nikki's POV]

 

I looked at Jackson with creased eyebrows as soon as he forced himself to sit in that tiny spot between Mia and I. "Eyyyy. Mia noona really likes to sit next to Mark." He explained as soon as he saw my expression. Just then, that Yumi Watanabe played the guitar and sang an acoustic version of T.Swift's Come Back, Be Here.

 

"Shooot. I love this song." I whispered to Jackson.

 

"Who's the singer?" Jackson asked in a whisper.

 

"Taylor Swift."

 

"Oh."

 

Mia seemed to be feeling uneasy when that Yumi Watanabe was suddenly put on the spotlight. And I couldn't blame her. It was pretty obvious that Yumi was directing the song towards Mark!

 

"Mia can sing better." I murmured.

 

"Does she play the guitar too?" Jackson asked.

 

"Of course! She's so good at it!" I proudly said.

 

And then I caught a fleeting glance of Jinyoung from across the campfire and realized he was looking at me again. I stared back. He smiled at me showing his perfect set of teeth and his charming eye-smile. It suddenly became so hard to resist not to smile back. And then he looked sideways and turned to Youngjae who was sitting next to him. I cleared the lump in my throat. Is he being like this because he knows I like him?

 

Jackson coughed and nudged me. "Eyyyy. Mia noona should sing." I looked at Yumi again as she continued singing. "Definitely." I said. There's something about Yumi that is really intimidating. Yes, she's beautiful and has a perfectly sweet voice... but still intimidating though. I don't know why I am feeling this way but it's probably because I ship Mark for Mia.

 

For the past few weeks that we've been here in Korea, Mia and Mark never stopped exchanging Kakaotalk messages. Sure, the topics were just so random but they sure were not just some sort of fan service. There's no such thing as fan service at 2AM! And although Mia has to wake up at six for the filming, she still grabs her phone at the wake of dawn every time it starts beeping. Sacrificing her sleep is one clear sign that my best friend is starting to fall in love for that pretty boy Mark Tuan.

 

And unless I misunderstood his actions, Mark seemed to be showing interest in my best friend, too. I could usually read people but this Mark Tuan suddenly became too hard to decode. And seeing Mark and Yumi sitting side by side with that look in their eyes is enough reason to make my blood boil.

 

"Does Mark like Yumi?" I asked Jackson in my serious attempt to make my voice so low. But he pursed his lips together, signaling that he's not supposed to divulge such very personal information to anyone. "Fine. I'm not asking anymore." I said.

 

Yumi's performance ended and I bitterly forced myself to put my hands together.

 

"Hey. Mia noona can also play the guitar!" Jackson suddenly said. Mia's eyes widened in surprise. "Ya. Noona. You're not supposed to say no." And then Jackson got the guitar from Yumi and handed it to her.

 

I was confident... very confident that Mia could outdo Yumi. Her talents and musicality are just so innate in her that it is impossible not to be awed by her voice and guitar skills. But today is different. Today, she will be singing in front of KPOP stars, in front of that intimidating Yumi, in front of GOT7... in front of Mark.

 

You can do it, Mia!

 

She brushed her long brunette hair to one side and started her soulful strumming of the guitar. And in an instant, all eyes and ears were on her while her delicate fingers effortlessly ran through the strings of the acoustic guitar.

 

[A/N: Hear Mia sing HERE.]

 

This could have been just another day

But instead we're sitting here

No need for words it's all been said

In the way you hold me near

I was alone on this journey

You came along to comfort me

Everything I want in life is right here

 

Suddenly, Mark couldn’t take his eyes off of her.

 

‘Cause

This is not your ordinary

No ordinary love

I was not prepared enough

To fall so deep in love

This is not your ordinary

No ordinary love

You were the first to touch my heart

And everything’s right again with your extraordinary love

 

My best friend was too lost in the song to even notice the look in Mark’s eyes as he continued staring at her and listening to her soulful voice.

 

But if Mark really likes my best friend, then who is Yumi to him?!

 

I get so weak when you look at me

I get lost inside your eyes

Sometimes the magic is hard to believe

But you're here before my very eyes

You brought joy to my world

Set me so free

I want you to understand

You're every breath that I breathe

 

The song ended, and Jackson and I gave Mia a proud standing ovation. “Yeokshi! Mia noona is the best!” Jackson said. I shot him a look since he sounded like he was trying to imply something and others might misunderstand his words, but he just let out his usual cute smile.

 

 

[Mia’s POV]

 

I was transported back to reality as soon as I opened my eyes. I didn’t even notice that I was already closing my eyes while singing.

 

“Mia, wow! You’re really good!” Amber said and the rest were giving me a two-thumb up.

 

I just slightly bowed down and smiled. “Thanks.”

 

And unknowingly, I looked at him. And he was looking down at me. And I bit my lower lip in embarrassment. I don’t even know why I’m embarrassed. And then I broke the eye contact and gave back the guitar to Jackson.

 

“Okay. Youngjae-ya! You sing an English song for us!!!” Amber proposed and the rest were playfully cheering for him, most especially Bambam and Yugyeom.

 

“Engrishhh?” Youngjae’s eyes formed a perfect circle. And then Jack

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter