Chapter 3.

Ephemeral

Fuelled

            Junghwa scanned through the heads of the students, before her eyes fell on a bright orange beanie in the far right corner of the classroom. She smiled at the class teacher, before making her way to the joint desk she would have to share with Yoongi.

“Hey.” She said softly as she sat down to his right. Yoongi smiled gently, albeit uttering a word. Almost at once, she heard whispering.

Which wasn’t really whispering. Obviously, the girls in front of her weren’t really good at it.

“Oh wow, did Yoongi just smile? That’s new.”
“But he looks alright, not as intimidating as he does-

Junghwa looked at Yoongi and sighed at their silliness. Yoongi, who clearly wasn’t used to his classmates talking about him, turned pink at the mere mention of his name.

As the bell rang for the end of homeroom, Junghwa looked at her schedule. English Literature. A few people stood up to move to other classes, the two girls included.

“Hey, girls!” Junghwa called out to them. They turned around, looking at her with smiles on their faces.

“If you think Yoongi’s not as scary as he seems, you could tell him yourself, you know?” She smiled sweetly, though she was resisting an urge to snap at them. They turned beet red, and immediately walked away without uttering a word.

Junghwa smiled smugly as she opened her notebook, and began taking down the notes on the blackboard. As she was losing herself into the world of Shakespeare, a gentle tap on her hand shattered her imagination.

Glancing at Yoongi, she mouthed “What?” with a tinge of annoyance at being snapped out of her imagination, almost instantly regretting it as Yoongi’s eyes widened and he looked away. Junghwa bit her lip nervously as Yoongi rubbed the back of his neck with his hand, avoiding her gaze.

“Sorry, Yoongi.” She said quietly. “What is it you wanted to tell me?”

Yoongi pointed at a small piece of paper on the table, before looking away. Slowly, she unfolded it.

Thank you for the save :)

Junghwa couldn’t help but smile like an idiot. Intimidating? She found Yoongi adorable. She chuckled again, looking at the smiley face at the end of the sentence. She quickly scribbled something down and held it out in front of him.

Anytime, Yoongi :D

Yoongi was unable to stop his lips from curving into a broad smile.


            “Oh, my god, did you see Yoongi smile today?”
“He looks like an idiot when he does! Maybe he’s not as bad as he seems?!”

Yoongi exhaled heavily, opening his locker as the obvious whispers followed him. He could feel the embarrassment creep up his neck, until it consumed his face. Shaking his head, he took out a book from his locker as he slowly fanned his face.

“Oh, Yoongi, what’s this about you smiling like an idiot?” Hoseok tapped his shoulder, smiling mischievously. Yoongi shook his head adamantly, his cheeks betraying him again. Hoseok chortled through his nose.

“Oh, you’re so cute sometimes, Yoongi-yah.” Hoseok pinched his cheek. Yoongi clicked his tongue in annoyance, pushing the brown haired boy away.
“Hey, where’s Junghwa-?” Namjoon asked, yawning loudly, as the rest of the gang walked up to the two.
“Somewhere.” Jungkook muttered quietly. Yoongi looked at him in surprise, seeing his solemn expression. The sadness in his voice did not go unnoticed by the others.

“What’s wrong, Kookie?” Taehyung arched his eyebrows.
“Well, it’s Junghwa obviously.” Jimin looked at him. “Jungkook, what’s up?”
“Ah, well, just… Hwa’s depressed again, it seems.” He sighed, running his fingers through his hair.

“Well, your mother only passed away, Jungkook…” Seokjin spoke gently. “It’s not easy on either of you.”
“I know.” Jungkook mumbled. “I just wish I had been with her when she needed me the most.”

Yoongi looked at Jungkook, whose sadness was clearly reflected in his eyes. Before he could even stop himself, he looked at Jungkook and opened his mouth to speak.

“Where is she?” He blurted out, not stopping to think. Everyone looked at him in surprise, especially Jungkook.

“Uh, why do you want to know?“ Jungkook asked.
“Where is she?” Yoongi pressed on, and Jungkook saw a glint of irritation in his eyes. Not wanting to anger his friend, he told him that Junghwa was at the terrace. Before anyone could say anything, Yoongi speed-walked his way out of their circle, walking down the hallway. Seokjin looked at him in bewilderment.

“What was THAT all about?” He arched his eyebrows.


             Junghwa allowed the wind to play with her hair as she looked down at the playground. She saw so many people, happy and carefree.

Unlike herself.

Tears streaming down her cheeks, she contemplated jumping off, landing gracefully in front of the masses, when she was shocked back into reality by a deep voice.

"Are you okay?"

Junghwa looked around in surprise. Yoongi! He just spoke to her!

Yoongi, realising that this was the first time he had ever spoken to her, looked away, slightly red in the face.

"Uh- yeah-" She nodded, wiping her tears away. "I'm fine, Yoongi, thank you."

She looked at him with a half-hearted smile. Yoongi walked towards her, his face still emotionless. But as he stood in front of her, he gazed at her with an unknown intensity that was compelling her to cry. Junghwa bit her lip to hold back the tears that threatened to make their presence known.

Yoongi gently held his hand to her face, ever so delicately. It was as if he knew she was fragile, that she would break anytime soon. The sudden display of concern brought her dormant emotions to life, as she held in a sob with much difficulty.

"Are you really okay?" He asked quietly. The intensity reflected in his eyes had started off the emotions in hers.

Junghwa covered her hands with her face, crying into them gently. Yoongi held one of her hands in his and gave it a gentle squeeze. It gave her an unknown reassurance.

Junghwa looked up at him. He gave her a look, a look that showed a burning desire to know of her predicament. She sat down, Yoongi sitting down in front of her.

"My mother passed away this summer, just before Jungkook came back to New York." She began, and her voice trembled as she spoke. "That's why I'm here, in Korea, because my father wants me to start over and get over my mother's death, but-"

Junghwa paused, shaking her head. Yoongi squeezed her hand again. She took a deep breath, and nodded.

"I don't know if I can get over that." She said quietly. "Over my mother. I loved her so much, and she just left me all alone. I don't know!"

Junghwa paused as her voice gave way. Breathing heavily, she sighed again.

"I feel so alone, even though I'm with people." She exhaled. "I don't want to feel this way-"

Yoongi held out his hand to stop her from speaking. Junghwa looked up at him.

"It'll be okay." He whispered. "Promise."

Junghwa looked at him with a glint of anger. As if he could ever understand how she felt! However... there was something about his words that made her believe that everything would be alright. And she bit back a sharp retort, realising that he had done, in fact, nothing, but only listened to her talk, watch her cry, but other than that, he did nothing. And yet, Junghwa felt a strange sense of comfort when she had told him everything, as she had just done.

And Yoongi didn't show anger, annoyance nor pity. He just was there. To listen.

And never once had he let go of her hand.

"Thanks for listening... I really appreciate it." Junghwa mumbled. Yoongi nodded, his lips forming a small smile, before he awkwardly scratched the back of his neck. He looked away shyly.

Junghwa looked at him in amazement, as to how people mistook his shyness and silence for intimidation and anger. She pursed her lips, taking in his breath-taking features. In all honesty he wasn't as good looking as the rest of Jungkook's friends... but there was something that attracted her to him, nonetheless.

Yoongi let out a gentle cough, his cheeks slightly flushed. Realising that she was staring at him, she looked away, turning pink as well.

"Yoongi." She asked quietly, once the silence got to her again. He glanced at her, his lips forming the same expression they had that morning, when he was locking up his flat. He nodded to show his attentiveness.

"Uh, how come you don't speak so much?"

Yoongi froze, his eyes slighly widening. She instantly regretted asking him that question, getting the feeling that she had hit a nerve. However, Yoongi chose to shrug it off, looking at the children who were running back into the buildings. Silence.

After a while, Yoongi finally spoke up.

"I- don't know." He said quietly, surprising her. "I can't express how I feel."

Junghwa sighed again. Yoongi looked at her in surprise.

"Stop." He shook his head. "Don't sigh."
"O-Okay, I'll try not to-" Junghwa stood up. "I should go.”

Yoongi slowly nodded, and as Junghwa made her way towards the door of the roof, he called out to her.

"Junghwa." Yoongi said, and immediately turned pink, surprised that he had called her out with such boldness. Junghwa seemed to think so too, for she looked back at him, equally perplexed. He stood up, and took the phone from her hand. He typed in a number, before handing the phone back to her.

"Call." He stammered. "If you- uhm, well, wanna talk, about anything, call me- yeah."
Yoongi felt incredibly stupid for asking her to call if she wanted anything, but she didn't think so. She smiled at him, nodding slowly.

"I will do. Thank you."

Junghwa smiled again, before making her way back inside the school building. Yoongi exhaled heavily, leaning against the wall.

“Man, almost showed her my weak side…”


Hiya folks! XD Hope you're liking the story so far^^ Yoongi has a weak side? D: what even, right?
Suspense, suspense, suspense... 
Okay... I know it might not make sense... trust me, it will. The next chapter is like a turning point for Yoongi and Junghwa, so anticipate it! ^O^
Anyway, subscribe if you're liking it so far, don't forget to upvote if you really like it, and drop a comment to let me know what you think.

Love you folks! See ya in the next update<3 :3 — Haru.
(P.S Suga is so adorable<3)