Chapter 29.

Ephemeral

Hello everyone! Sorry it took me a while, I was dead busy with assessment but I'm here now and here is the next chapter. Prepare your hearts!

Sunday, December 14th, 2014

Jungkook peered at the doors to the airport over the large number of people, clicking his tongue irritably as he pushed past the crowd. Junghwa followed suit, her face twisted in an annoyed expression as she walked behind Jungkook.

“Not a fan of crowds?” Seokjin, who was trailing behind them, asked casually.
“Hell no.” Junghwa shook her head. “Jesus, where are they- oh, Jungkook, there they are!”

Junghwa pointed towards three familiar figures who were standing near a train of trolleys, looking around for something, or rather, someone familiar.

"Junghee!" Junghwa knelt down as her baby sister ran into her arms, giving her a tight hug.

"Unnie, I missed you!" Junghee giggled. Junghwa patted her head lovingly, and smiled as she stood up. "Woah, Junghee, your hair looks amazing! Did Jungah unnie do it?"
"Yup! You know how good she is!" Junghee giggled as Jungah widely smiled at Junghwa.

"I missed you." Jungah wrapped her arms around her sister as she pulled her into a tight hug.
“Me too, Jung.” Junghwa sighed, hugging her sister back just as tightly. They stayed in each other’s embrace for a while, before Jungah broke away from her, giving her older sister a broad smile.

"You look good, unnie."
"Thanks, Jungah." Junghwa grinned, pinching her cheek. "You look fit!"
"Guess MMA's paying off." Jungah smirked. "Jungkookie oppa!"

Jungah jumped on her brother, who let out an 'oof' as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Jesus, did you put on weight or something?!" Jungkook joked as he hugged her back. "You're so heavy!"
"Ay! It's all muscle!"
"You, and muscle? Yeah right!" Jungkook snickered.
"Aish! You're so mean! I hate you!"
"You guys are at it already?! Come on, we just landed a while ago!" Jungho rolled his eyes as he walked up to Junghwa, before holding his arms out dramatically as he announced, "Hwaaaaa~!"
"Oppa!" Junghwa wrapped her arms around his waist and looked up at him cheekily.

"Ah, this reminds me of when you were twelve." Jungho hugged her back. "Missed you, kiddo."
"Me too, oppa." Junghwa grinned. "I missed you all so much!"
"Unnie, oppa, I got chosen to take part in a musical!" Junghee jumped up and down with glee.
"That's amazing! Well done!" Jungkook held up his hand, and Junghee gave him a high five, a gleeful smile spreading across her face.

"Hey, how about we go back to the apartment and then sit down and talk?" Jungho suggested. “Seokjin’s been waiting for a while it seems.”
“Ah, not really-” Seokjin shook his head, smiling as he walked up to him.
“Good to see you again, Seokjin.” Jungho shook his hand, giving him a broad grin.
“You too, hyung.” Seokjin grinned back, before looking at Junghwa with a forced smile. Junghwa let out a small ‘ah’ as she looked at him, before nodding vigorously.

“Hey, Jin’s got to go soon-” Jungkook spoke up for his friend, looking at Jin apologetically.
“Aw, pity, I’d have loved to get to know him.” Jungah pouted. “Call me blunt, Jin oppa, but you’re pretty cute.”
“There she goes again-” The three older siblings groaned, rolling their eyes at the same time. Seokjin blinked, before letting out a small laugh.

“Why, thank you, Jungah.” Seokjin smiled, his cheeks flushed with pleasure. “I have to rush my mother to the railway station right after this. Perhaps we should continue this conversation over a cup of coffee.”
“That would be lovely.” Jungah winked, before picking up her heavy bag, which was obviously quite the struggle for the girl.

“Allow me.” Seokjin offered to take her bag, prising it from her hand. Jungah laughed sheepishly, as she walked alongside him through the crowd. At once, Jungkook and Junghwa broke into animated whispers.

“Did you see Jin’s face?” Junghwa hissed.
“He seemed so smitten!” Jungkook grinned.
“Seemed? He is!” Jungho butted in, unable to hide a mischievous smirk as he looked at the two teenagers walk off. “I don’t think it’s often that he’s been told he’s cute, and he wouldn’t stop staring at her, either.”
“Well, let’s go.” Junghwa laughed, picking a confused Junghee off her feet. “You ready to see unnie’s room, Jeejee?”
“Yeah!” Junghee grinned, throwing her arms up excitedly. “Let’s go!”
“Oof, you’ve become heavier, you know…”


"I'm so glad we didn't get many bags-" Jungah laughed bitterly at the elevator doors. "It had to break down the day we arrived!"
"It’s unfortunately a common occurrence here." Jungho shrugged, remembering the last time he had come over early November. "And it's only five floors, we can do this!"
"Yeah, yeah, we can do this..." Jungah muttered darkly. "My suitcase isn't as heavy as yours, oppa!"
"What've you got in there, your dresser?" Jungkook snickered.
"Jeon Jungkook!" Jungah roared.
"OW! Whatever happened to calling me oppa?!" Jungkook winced as she hit him on the head.

Min Yoongi had chosen the perfect time to walk in on this chaotic scene, his eyes widening with surprise as he saw Jungkook argue with a shorter girl, and three other people behind them whining about the elevator that had conveniently broken down.

Jungah turned around and saw a young green haired male, with a smoothie in his hand and a bewildered expression on his face. She turned pink with embarrassment, and tapped on Jungkook's shoulder.

“Yoongi-?” Jungkook blinked, before his eyes widened. “Oh , dude, when did you get back?”
“Just now?”
“Sassy. I meant when did you get back from Daegu, you .” Jungkook huffed. “And what’s with the hair?”
“I dyed it back home.” Yoongi shrugged. “I just went out for a shake and, well, you’re back now…”
“Aren’t you cold?” Jungah asked, her eyes widening at the older male. Yoongi blinked at her, before slowly shrugging as he said, “Yeah, a bit.”
“More like a lot.” Jungah scoffed, seeing how he was covered from head to toe with warm clothing.
“I like smoothies, okay?” Yoongi pouted, making Jungkook laugh.
“Ah, you’re so precious, Min.” He sighed, before putting an arm around his sister’s shoulder, pulling her close. “This is my younger sister, Jungah. Jung, this is Yoongi, Hwa’s classmate and our neighbour.”
“Nice to meet you.” Jungah smiled kindly. Yoongi smiled back, out of politeness, just when Jungho’s voice caught his attention.

"Oh, Yoongi!" Jungho said in surprise, walking over to him. "Hope you've been keeping well."
"Good to see you again, hyung." Yoongi grinned as they shook hands.
"Yoongi~!" Junghwa jogged over, but her eyes widened upon seeing his hair. “Who the dumped their mint ice cream on you?”
“Oh, savage…” Jungah snickered, and Yoongi rolled his eyes, before looking back at Junghwa as he muttered, “Well, someone’s been missing me, clearly.”
“Clearly.” Junghwa suddenly laughed, before immediately wrapped his arms around his neck. "You're finally back from Daegu!"
"Did you miss me that much?" Yoongi chuckled as his arms moved to her waist.

The first thing that hit him was the fruit scent of her shampoo, mixing in with perfume. Their position had become slightly more intimate as he pulled her a little closer.

More intimate... well at least it was to Yoongi, anyway. His mind had immediately gone back to that day when he had nearly given away his true feelings… or were they his true feelings? He didn’t know. He did not want to ponder upon the thought, though he would find himself thinking about the possibility of him and Junghwa being more than friends-

Stop it, Yoongi. It’s not happening. You aren’t good enough for her.

He sighed inwardly, instead choosing to find guilty pleasure in the embrace they shared. They stayed that way for a good few moments before Junghwa let go, pouting as he ruffled her hair.

"I'm sorry, am I missing something here?" Jungho arched his eyebrows.
"Yeah, a black eye on that pretty little face of yours." Junghwa snarled.
"At least I have a pretty little face." Jungho smirked.
"Is this unnie's boyfriend?" Jungah asked curiously, looking at Junghwa, and then Yoongi before turning back towards her sister again.

"Not yet, he isn't." Jungkook smirked.
“Not yet.” Jungho winked at his brother, before the two men looked over at Junghwa and Yoongi with suggestive glances.

"Nope." Yoongi shook his head adamantly, without forgetting to glare at Jungkook.
"We're just friends, Jungah." Junghwa shrugged, before shooting her brothers with the dirtiest looks she could manage. Jungah didn’t look very convinced, eyeing the pair suspiciously; however, before she could pry further, a high-pitched voice gathered everyone’s attention, especially that of the latest arrival to the group.

"Green-hair oppa, hello~!" Junghee looked up at Yoongi and grinned toothily.
"Hello, Junghee." Yoongi knelt down and smiled. "I'm Yoongi."
"Hi, Yoongi oppa!" Junghee grinned again and put his arms around his neck, surprising him.

"A friend of Junghwa unnie is a friend of mine!" Junghee giggled, and Yoongi couldn’t help but grin at how cute she was.

"Ah, I'm sure we'll be great friends then." Yoongi laughed, pinching both her cheeks.

As everyone got ready to climb up the stairs, Jungah struggled with her suitcase. As everyone began clambering up the stairs, she wasn't able to even lift hers. Yoongi chuckled at her futile attempts and walked over.

"Need help?" He smiled. Jungah looked up at him, and smiled gratefully.

"Thank you, uh-" Jungah fumbled, not remembering his name.
"Yoongi. Min Yoongi." He grinned as he lifted on end of the suitcase. "Woah, you've got a lot of stuff in here."

Jungah laughed at his shocked expression, and smiled apologetically. "Sorry... I have this annoying habit of packing more than needed. Got that from my mother." Jungah shrugged as she lifted the other end.
"At least you're better prepared for things. Unlike Jungkook and Junghwa."
"Hah! Tell me about it! Me and mom used to end up packing extras for the both of them during our trips!"

Jungkook looked back at Yoongi and Jungah with unease. He knew the look on his younger sister's face.

And he didn't exactly like it.


"Oh, Yoongi, it's you." Jungkook grinned as he opened the door slowly. Yoongi held up a notebook and his literature textbook, as he smiled meekly, "I need a little bit of help with my homework so..."
"She's actually gone out for a bit so maybe you can wait inside." Jungkook stepped aside to let his friend in. "I'm off to meet Hoseok. Gotta get some stuff sorted for the dance thingy, know what I mean?"

Yoongi slowly nodded, as he stepped inside the house, taking off his shoes.

"How's it going with May? The practice, I mean.”

Yoongi looked at Jungkook curiously, before shrugging as he said, "It's going. She's really supportive. I'm just a bad dancer."
"You'll be okay. Plus, May is awesome. She might save your a bit."

Just as Jungkook turned around again, Yoongi called out his name, making the younger man turn around.

"Hey. You've gotta fix things with her, man. I don't know why you argued. I'm pretty sure it was stupid." Yoongi began. "Also, you're even more stupid for holding her selection of dance partners against her."
"Wow, you are very talkative, aren't you?" Jungkook chided sarcastically, making Yoongi blush with embarrassment. However, he soon recovered from the shock, before looking at Jungkook crossly.

“Don’t get sassy with me, Jungkook.” Yoongi shot back. “The sooner you get your together the better.”
"Breathe. I'll fix things with her. Just waiting for the right moment." Jungkook smiled, now rather wistfully.
"After the dance would seem like a good idea. Think about it."

Jungkook grinned again, before he gave Yoongi a small wave as he turned around, walking down the hallway. Soon, he turned towards the staircase, and disappeared around the corner.

"I'll just go wait in Hwa's room." Yoongi nodded, deciding not to snoop around. He walked into Junghwa's room, smiling as he inhaled the familiar floral scent of her clothes freshener.

She's changed her sheets. Yoongi thought to himself. He was right, for the bedsheets had indeed, been changed, to a colour he hadn't seen before.

Of late, Yoongi had been very observant of his friend's environment. It hadn't been surprising to see her desk in a mess, or stray pieces of clothing on her bed. In fact, the more he came to Junghwa's, which was everyday now, for some reason, he started to grow to love the mess, and just every bit of this bedroom really. He couldn't remember the many times he had fallen asleep on the bed, out of the sheer comfort it offered him, the calming effect her presence gave her. He would often wake up to find her sister, however, who always seemed to be around when he passed out.

Yoongi soon found himself drifting towards the dressing table, upon which many items of makeup were strewn across; one end was quite well organised, while the other seemed like a mini-hurricane had hit the table. Yoongi immediately knew it to be Junghwa's makeup set, and was rather surprised to see it all out on the table. He knew she didn't bother with makeup as much, save for the occasional eyeliner.

"I can't believe I used to wear this." Yoongi chuckled, as he held the eyeliner pencil in his hands, twirling it in his fingers. "Seriously."

He popped open the cap, eyeing the sharp tip, only slightly blunt after being used. This was obviously a new pencil.

"Yoongi?" A voice interrupted his thoughts, and he turned to look at the door, noticing Junghwa with a bewildered look on her face.

"Are you going to really wear my eyeliner?" She began to giggle, and Yoongi pouted as he sat down on the seat, before his lips curved up into a mischievous smirk as he replied, “Maybe I am.”

Junghwa shrugged, leaning against the table as she murmured, “Go on, then. Let's remind ourselves of how you used to look with it.”

With a chuckle, Yoongi began to carefully trace the pencil on his waterline, drawing in a thin line of black ink. It had been quite a while since he had dropped the strange style statement, so his fingers shook a little as he applied the eyeliner, but thankfully, the end result was quite satisfying.

“Damn, well done.” Junghwa nodded approvingly, as she took the pencil from his hands, before turning him around towards her. “I can make that a bit more defined though, if you let me.”

Yoongi chuckled again, nodding slowly. Popping the eyeliner's cap off once more, she gently tilted his head, filling in the waterline with more ink, until it had become more visible.

“Aw, Yoongi, you’re so pretty!” Junghwa laughed, grabbing some hair clips from the dressing table and, ignoring Yoongi’s protests, pinned his fringe back into a tiny bun above his head, revealing his shiny forehead.

“Hwa~” Yoongi pouted up at her, and Junghwa, who had been giggling uncontrollably up until that point, stopped laughing as she looked down at him, her head tilted to the side with a confused look on her face.

“Yoongi, you actually look really pretty with makeup…” Junghwa slowly frowned. “Prettier than me…”
“No- what the hell?” He protested when she pulled him to his feet, before pushing him towards her bed.

“Sit down. We’re giving you a proper makeover.” Junghwa grabbed a bottle of foundation and her sponge, as well as other makeup things that Yoongi had no clue about.

“What the , I came here for help with homework, not a makeover!” Yoongi complained, but Junghwa clearly wasn’t going to hear the end of that.

“This is foundation.” Junghwa shook the bottle in her hand back and forth, before squeezing the nozzle to get some of the beige substance on her hands. She dipped her finger in the foundation, before putting spots all over his face.

“Because you’ve got a pale complexion, I won’t put on a lot. We’re going for a natural look, right?” She grinned, taking her sponge and spreading the foundation on his face evenly. Yoongi looked at Junghwa, her teeth sinking into her lower lip in concentration. Her straight hair falling across her shoulders and arms, her light brown eyes scanning his face as she applied the makeup with care.

“How are you so pretty...” He murmured, before doing a double take and realising that he had said the words out loud.

“What?” Junghwa looked down at him incredulously, and Yoongi quickly reiterated with a lie. “Your hair looks nice today. Pretty.”
“Oh.” Junghwa bought the lie thankfully, telling him about how she had been sat down by her sister to have it straightened enough to make people notice.

“Now is the lipstick. I'll give you a pink shade, it would compliment the foundation quite nicely.”
“Okay.” Yoongi eyes her fingers as they popped open the lipstick. Junghwa then tilted his head up towards hers, accidentally pulling his hair in the process.

“Ow, don’t do that!!” Yoongi clicked his tongue angrily as he glared up at Junghwa, whose brows were furrowed in concentration as she applied the lipstick on his lips. With an annoyed growl, she brought her knee up, resting it on Yoongi’s thigh as she tried to maintain her balance. She didn’t seem as fazed about the gesture as he did; his cheeks were turning pink and he did his best to avoid their eyes from meeting.

He was impulsive. He knew what would happen if they did.

“Almost-” Junghwa dabbed tissue paper on his lips, to reduce the intensity of the colour, but she lost her footing, letting out a yelp as she began to fall sideways.

Yoongi acted quickly, his hands catching a hold of her waist as he steadied her, before looking up at her again.

“Are you okay-?” He began, but he fell silent when his eyes met with Junghwa’s. She let out a sheepish laugh, slowly nodding as she said, “I’m alright, thanks.”

Yoongi looked up at Junghwa, his smile faltering. Without him realising, his grip on her shirt had tightened considerably, enough for her to notice as well. His ears managed to shut out her voice; he finally had her in his hands (quite literally) and he didn’t want to let her go. He was scared of letting her go, and for what reason, he couldn’t explain.

But for now, the selfish side of him wanted to savour this moment as long as it could.

“What’s wrong, Yoongi?” Junghwa murmured, but her words faded when Yoongi’s hand moved to the nape of her neck, bringing her closer until their foreheads touched. She looked away, her cheeks turning pink at their sudden intimacy, which wasn’t normal even for their level of friendship.

“Hwa.” He whispered, making her look at him again. Gathering his courage, he moved forward, his lips meeting hers.

Junghwa blinked, her hands hovering awkwardly above Yoongi’s shoulders. She was unsure of how to react to the situation, because this was just as pleasing as it was shocking for her. Thoughts, emotions, everything came crashing down on her at once but she didn’t know how to feel, and she didn’t know if she should give in.

But, give in she did, her hands gently resting on his shoulders as her head tilted slowly, some of her long hair falling across his face in the process; ticklish as they ran down his cheeks.

They soon broke apart, their foreheads still rested against each other’s. Yoongi opened his eyes, his heart beating a mile a minute as he looked at Junghwa, who had an equally stunned expression. His fingers gently pushed some of her hair behind her ear, brushing her cheek in the process. His hand lingered next to her face, as he thought of the words to say.

But what would he say? In situations like this, wouldn’t he be the one to come out with his feelings since he was the one that ing kissed her in the first place? He didn’t know how to do it. The scenario was almost a little too cliched to be real.

But it was real. He wasn’t imagining it.

Yoongi opened his mouth, hoping to say those three words. I love you. Three words that seemed so simple, but held so much in them. They weighed down on his heart, and everything seemed to hurt within. He ached to say them. They had been on the tip of his tongue for so long, aching to spill, aching to make his heart known to her.

Junghwa… I love you.

But Yoongi also knew that he wasn’t worthy of her.

Junghwa… I don’t deserve you.

"Hwa- let's just put that behind us. Please."

He hated himself for doing it. He hated that he had to force back his feelings, hold in the powerful emotions. But Yoongi was doing it for her.

Junghwa looked at him quietly, her expression unreadable for a while, and it was almost as if she were… disappointed.

His eyes were probably deceiving him.

“Okay.” Junghwa finally nodded, allowing Yoongi's thumb to gently rub away the lipstick that stained her lips. The atmosphere had become awkward, and Yoongi wanted nothing more than to punch himself repeatedly for acting so impulsively.

Unnie, unnie, where are you- oh?” Junghwa distanced herself from Yoongi abruptly, smiling at Junghee sheepishly as she walked into the room. She looked back and forth between Yoongi and her sister, before her naivety of the situation compelled her to greet the older male instead.

“Yoongi oppa~” She rushed to him, immediately jumping onto his lap. “Wa, oppa looks pretty!”
“Haha, thanks Jeejee.” Yoongi ruffled her hair playfully. “Your sister’s been helping me.”
“Unnie, you’re putting makeup on boys again!” Junghee looked at her sister scandalously, making Junghwa giggle.

“Whoops. Wanna help?”
“Yeah!” Junghee nodded enthusiastically, before looking at Yoongi with doe-like eyes as she murmured, “Yoongi oppa, can I please do your makeup too?”
“Anything for my little princess.” Yoongi nodded at her, before looking up at Junghwa with a sheepish grin.

“Let me get you both something to drink, yeah?” Junghwa nodded at the both of them, giving Yoongi a sad smile as she turned around, walking towards the door. Yoongi slowly nodded, his eyes following her as she exited the bedroom, and he slowly sighed, allowing himself to be distracted by Junghee’s story telling instead.

Did he screw up?


Friday, 19th December 2014

Hoseok jumped up and down excitedly, and Jimin couldn’t help but join in, the both of them spinning around in circles. Junghwa watched with amusement as they began to waltz in the corridor, earning the looks of many of their classmates who eyed them cautiously, rushing to get away from the weird pair as fast as they could.

“It’s over, it’s over~” Jimin sang excitedly, suddenly skipping over to Junghwa and lifting her off her feet.

“Jimin! Put me down!” Junghwa laughed, slapping his shoulder repeatedly. “Aw, you both are so excited that we’re done with assessment.”
“Aren’t you?” Hoseok ruffled her hair.
“Of course I am, just not as showy about it as you are.” Junghwa chuckled, before grinning at Taehyung.

“You did well, too, Taetae.” Junghwa smiled kindly. “I didn’t think you had it in you.”
“Well, I had a lot of help from my partner, so…” Taehyung waved after his dance partner, a tall girl with blonde hair. She gave him a small smile of her own, before she rushed down the hallway with her friends, talking about something animatedly.

“Aw, Junghwa!” May hugged her friend from behind. “You did really well, you and Jimin! I’m sure you got the best mark in the whole class.”
“You and Yoongi weren’t too shabby either.” Junghwa chuckling. “Speaking of Yoongi, where is he?”
“Here.” A low voice called out from behind her, and she turned around, grinning at him broadly.

“Good job.” She chuckled. “You did well.”
“Same goes to you, Hwa.” Yoongi said softly, before he gave her a wistful smile as he began to talk with Hoseok. Junghwa noticed the sudden change in his mood, but decided that now would not be a good time to approach the subject. She shifted her attention back to May and Taehyung, who were arguing animatedly about who had better footwork.

“Hey!” Jimin called out. “Me and Hoseok were planning to go karaoke, and get some drinks. Anyone coming along?”
“Not so sure about the drinks but I’ll definitely come along.” Junghwa grinned. “I haven’t been to a noraebang in ages!”
“Oh, you will love this then.” Jimin put his arm around Junghwa, nodding at Hoseok. “He rarely sings, but when he does, it’s a treat.”
“He doesn’t seem the singing type.” Junghwa gasped.
“I’ll tag along too!” Taehyung grinned, walking over to the trio. “You can hear me trot sing, it’s amusing apparently.”
“Anyone else?” Jimin looked behind them, and was surprised to find only Yoongi standing there.

“May and Jungkook had something to talk about, apparently…” Yoongi looked behind him, before turning towards his friends again.
“Well, come along, Yoongi.” Junghwa grinned, but Yoongi slowly shook his head, giving her a wry grin.
“Sorry, I’m not feeling so great, um, I think I might just go home- yeah.” Yoongi was a horrible liar, and Hoseok was looking at him suspiciously, but thankfully, Jimin was dense enough to buy it.

“Oh, that’s okay, Yoongi.” Jimin grinned. “Hope you feel better soon!”
“Yeah, hope you feel better…” Hoseok looked at Yoongi, and the latter knew that Hoseok would bring this up again eventually. The reason why he lied. Not known to many, but Hoseok had a knack of telling when something was up with someone. And unfortunately for Yoongi, recently he hadn’t been so good at hiding his feelings.

Yoongi glanced at Junghwa, and not caring that he was speaking to her more than anyone else, he whispered, “See you later, then.”

Junghwa nodded, giving her a sad smile of her own, and Yoongi sighed, knowing that him not being there was affecting her in some way. But he just didn’t want to make it awkward for the both of them.

But isn’t this making matters worse, you idiot, you’re the one that’s making it worse than it already is… Yoongi argued inwardly, and he could have chosen to listen to himself but he was stubborn enough to turn away.

I’m sorry.

-----

“What do you want?” May looked up at Jungkook. The pair were hiding under the staircase, as they had normally done whenever they skipped classes together. She was tempted to laugh at how much he had to bend down to be able to stand under the staircase, for the pair usually sat down. However, the seriousness of the situation refrained her from doing so.

“I need to talk to you.” He whispered, his dark wine-red hair had been cut short and pulled back, making him seem funnily older than his actual age. But in a good way.

No. Now isn’t the time.

“What is it?” She replied coolly, pretending to admire her manicured nails, which she hadn’t frankly been able to do anything to in the last few weeks.

“Stop it, look at me.” Jungkook pushed her hand aside, surprising her with his brusqueness. May’s eyes narrowed as she looked up into his own, dark and unreadable. She was intimidated by the seething man’s anger, and it didn’t help that she was unsure of why exactly that was the case.

“I just wanted to apologise.”

Huh? May blinked, unable to find the words for his sudden apology. Seeing that she was confused, Jungkook looked away as he murmured, “For what happened a few weeks ago. I shouldn’t have argued with you over the project. It was childish of me.”
“Damn right it was.” May crossed her arms across her chest, looking up at him incredulously. “I don’t even know why we argued over it. It was stupid. You were stupid.”

Jungkook’s eyebrows flew up in disbelief, and May knew she had hit a nerve. However, she inwardly smirked at having irked him off, leaning against the wall as she murmured, “You have to admit, Jungkook, it was a silly thing to fight over.”
“I- yes, it was.” Jungkook stressed on his words, and it was obvious that he was trying to keep a calm composure. “And I’m sorry. But you didn’t have to go to Taehyung to ask about it when I’m your partner.”

May looked up at Jungkook with surprise, and he had realised the blunder he had committed, as he looked away with his cheeks turning a bright shade of red.

“You were jealous.” She murmured disbelievingly.
“So what if I was, May?” Jungkook whispered. “What if I told you something else?”
“Stop beating around the bush, Jungkook.” May suddenly smirked, and he knew that she had unfortunately caught on to what he wanted to say. He looked away for a few moments, before he opened his mouth to confess his true feelings; hopefully they would justify why he fought her, and hopefully they would be reciprocated too.

“Kiss me.”

Damn it, Jungkook, that’s not how it was supposed to come out. Jungkook cursed inwardly, closing his eyes as he let out a low groan. “No, I mean-”
“You mean you don’t want me to?” May tilted her head to the side, looking at him with a teasing grin.
“Of course I want you to…” Jungkook looked away, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. “It just didn’t come out right, what I wanted to tell you.”
“Well, why don’t you kiss me and see how it goes from there?”

Jungkook looked back at May, his eyes darkening as he came closer, but his touch was gentle as he tilted her face up towards his. Shutting his eyes, he closed the distance between their lips, feeling the soft and tender flesh mingle with his.

“I like you.” He whispered against her lips, and May nodded, looking up at him with a sheepish smile. “Me too. I like you too.”

Her arms wrapped around Jungkook, she pulled herself to him, delighted at having feelings she had harboured for the last three months returned. As one would often say in the cliched k-dramas on the television, it was like she and Jungkook were the only people in this world, in this moment that was taking her up, and she never wanted to come down. She and he were lost in their bliss, lost in this moment that was, for her, beyond explicable.

Yoongi had chosen to walk by the staircase at that moment, his eyes falling on the pair. He did not to look long enough to realise that it was May and Jungkook, so caught up in their embrace that they did not even hear him walk by. He did not want to be one to ruin the moment either, so he simply smiled as he walked away quietly, his shoes softly squeaking against the tiled floor of the hallway.

He was glad that Jungkook had finally made a move. The rest of their friends were starting to get edgy because of the younger male not acting on feelings he hadn’t made much effort to hide. Maybe this would be some good news for all of them, after the stress of exams and assessments.

But once he was a good distance away, Yoongi sighed heavily, dragging himself to the exit doors. What he had just seen between May and Jungkook had only made his heart ache more. They made it seem so simple. Why had it been so easy for the both of them?

He stopped just as he reached the door, his fingers lightly tracing the handle. He was alone in the hallway, and he could hear his sigh being carried across the empty space. He was so tempted to turn around, to go back to accept Junghwa’s invitation to go out with her and the others. Why had he refused, though?

His mind wandered back to May and Jungkook, unwillingly remembering the intimate moment they shared. That could easily have been him and Junghwa too.

But he knew what was holding him back.

Jungkook deserved good things. Yoongi didn’t think the same about himself.

His heart rekindled the hurtful feelings of realisation, mixed with the heartbreak that only he could give himself. Yoongi sighed again, pushing through the doors slowly, almost as if he had been exhausted with the effort of walking himself there. Truth be told, he was tired of torturing himself like this. Why did he hold himself back like this?

Yoongi knew he’d never be good enough for Junghwa.

Wow, well this has been a very eventful chapter! I'm sorry if I broke any hearts T.T

So here, I have finally updated, I hope I've made someone's, if not all 273 of you (yes, 273! I'm over the moon, I never thought we'd get to these many subscribers. I am absolutely ecstatic and so so glad that you're reading Ephemeral). I'm sorry it took so long for me to update, I have been dreadfully busy. Hopefully the next few updates will be more regular ^^

Being completely honest with you though, the last few months have been really difficult for me with my depression. It was pretty bad back in November, when everything went to , basically... and things haven't been becoming any better even though I've been waiting for them to, you know, become better? I guess it's why I've been 'off the radar' for a while, as far as this, and most stories are concerned.

However, I've talked to student services, who have suggested what I can do to make things better, even referring me to this place that does talk therapy if I felt like I needed it. So, I'm going to try and change my lifestyle a little, and hopefully stop feeling so low and worthless all the time :') Here's hoping it won't get bad enough for me to see my doctor again...

But, in light of recent events, thank you for being so patient and hopefully understanding of why I haven't been updating. It still might be a bit slow as I try and get my together, and I hope that you'll be alright with waiting a bit more between chapters. I finally found the drive to try and write again, which is a good sign. I'm hoping that everything will become okay in the next few months.

Okay, I had better stop before the A/N section becomes longer than the actual story >.<

Thank you for listening to my rambling haha *sweats nervously* I love each and every one of you so much <3

- Haru.