Chapter 14.

Ephemeral

Hey, folks! Sorry for a late update T^T I hope you like it, and the song too :3 The quoted text in italics means that the conversation is in English. WARNING: There's so much fluff towards the end! I suppose I have to blame HeadToToesLove, my chingu for influencing my fluffballiness... thing. Is that even a word?
This is revenge for what you did in
You're In Danger Right Now, by messing with my JiSeok feels //cries all the rivers I can carry//
AND I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY IT SARANGHAE >3<


“Ah, Yoongi, you’re late.”

A red-haired boy looked at the pair as they walked into the garage. The smell of oil and rust engulfed them the moment they stepped in, and Junghwa inhaled heavily, grinning at the sight of the cars that were being fixed.

“Who’s this?” He peered at the girl curiously.
“She’s a friend.” Yoongi chuckled. “Junghwa, this is Jaehyo. He’s from Busan too.”
“Oh, you’re from Busan?” Jaehyo asked. “Nice to meet you.”
“You too.” Junghwa smirked.
“So you’re single, huh?” Jaehyo slung his arm around her shoulder, giving her a flirty smile. “How about I give you the pleasure of going out with me?”
“How about I give you the pleasure of being kicked in the balls?” Junghwa arched her eyebrows. Jaehyo immediately backed off, and let out a breathy chuckle.

This one, she American, she is.” Jaehyo laughed, speaking in English. “I know an American when I see one.
Well done.” Junghwa stuck her tongue out.
Stop hittin’ on every single chick one o’ us brings over!” Yoongi rolled his eyes.
Why, you jealous I might steal your girlfriend?” Jaehyo chortled.
She ain’t my girlfriend! Jesus!

Yoongi threw a punch at him, which only just missed Jaehyo’s arm. Junghwa grinned as the two boys argued with each other. It really reminded her of her two only friends, Tony and Nate, back at her local garage in America.

Stop getting so touchy.” Jaehyo snickered. “Come on. That car that been causin’ us problems, we fixed up most o’ it.
“Don’t you have to change or something?” Junghwa asked, as they came up to a row of dirty jackets hung up against the wall.

“We just wear our jackets, and an old pair of jeans.” Yoongi shrugged, as he took his hoodie off. “Hang on to this.”

Junghwa held his hoodie, and casually stole a glance at him. Oblivious to Junghwa’s eyes, he turned around and reached out for a bandana that was placed on a high shelf. His arms, which were concealed from sight by his tight black top, unintentionally flexed as they stretched out towards the ceiling.

Junghwa bit her lip. Despite being very skinny, Yoongi had very toned arms. She couldn’t believe that she’d never noticed them before.

Jesus, a few more months and Yoongi’s arms would give Jimin’s a run for his money. 

As soon as Yoongi pulled on his jacket, Junghwa looked away, feeling a blush make its way to her cheeks. Why did she always find herself staring at him? Damn it.

Yoongi smiled as he took his hoodie from Junghwa and hung it where his jacket was. Pulling on his black hoodie, he motioned towards Jaehyo, and walked towards him.

So, you little ,” Jaehyo hissed softly, patting the hood of the car. “You’ve been givin’ me and Min some problems. We gon’ fix you up today for good.
“He always does this.” Yoongi rolled his eyes, slapping Jaehyo’s hand away to open the hood of the car. “Talks to the car like it’s a person. But… Ah, she a real beaut, this.

Junghwa looked at the green car, and couldn’t hold back the grin that formed across her face. The sight of the vintage Corvette took her back to her childhood, as she remembered her visits to her grandfather’s house, where his white Corvette would boast its presence in the driveway. Her love for automobiles and anything mechanical was thanks to her grandfather, who was always working on something in his garage. When they were much younger, Junghwa and her brother Jungho were the only ones to wake up earlier than their grandfather – such was their eagerness to help him out.

Supressing the sudden spike of emotions in her, she looked at the Corvette, allowing the awe of the nostalgia to light up her face with excitement.

She’s beautiful.
“Ah, it was so hard fixing her up.” Jaehyo smiled wistfully. “But there’s something wrong with her. She ain’t got effective breaking anymore.
How did the car end up here in the first place?” Junghwa asked curiously.
“Accident.” Yoongi nodded at her. “Real bad.”
Aw, baby, looks like you been through a lot, huh?

Junghwa patted the car door, before walking over to Yoongi. “So no effective breaking?

There might be something wrong with the connections here.” Yoongi stuck his tongue out as he looked inside the hood of the car. “There ain’t anything evident.
What’s it like, breaking the car?” Junghwa asked.
Bad. Whole car acts up. Starts shakin’ like when she know her mama gon’ beat her up for takin’ money out the money jar.” Jaehyo pulled on his gloves, opening the door of the driving seat.

He’s from Detroit, isn’t he?” Junghwa smirked, hearing his accent.
Yeah, it’s annoying.” Yoongi gritted his teeth. “He speaks like a ghetto, acts like one. The worst part is that it rubs off on you.
I can see that.” Junghwa chuckled, noticing the slight accent in Yoongi’s English. She smirked at him, before looking at Jaehyo.

Hey, step out for a second?

Jaehyo stepped out of the car, giving her a confused expression as he handed her the keys. Junghwa jumped into the front seat, her smile broadening as she ran her fingers across the smooth interiors.

Ah, Yoongi, she a keeper, dawg! Ain’t many girls into cars and stuff nowadays!” Jaehyo snickered. Yoongi smacked his head with a lot of force, glaring at him as his cheeks turned pink. Junghwa giggled at his embarrassment, as she slipped the key into its slot, turning it to start the engine. 

Her happy expression soon turned into a frown, as the car vibrated uncomfortably – and that meant that something was up with the brakes.

Yoongi… is this car’s braking system fine?
Uh huh.” He looked up, arching his eyebrows. “What Jaehyo said.
“Check it again.” She jumped out of the car, rushing over to the hood. “Take it out. Check it again.
“Okay.” Yoongi nodded.

They slowly brought out the car’s hydraulic system, and Junghwa placed it on one of the work tables, before inspecting it carefully.

“Oh, look.” She mumbled. “There’s not enough liquid in the hydraulic system! No wonder it shakes all over when you brake the car.”
“But Jaehyo refilled it yesterday.” Yoongi mumbled. “I don’t know…”
“There aren’t any holes, are there?” She asked quietly. Yoongi arched his eyebrows, as he stood next to Junghwa, looking at them carefully.
“None that Jaehyo could see-”

Yoongi said quietly, edging closer to Junghwa so that he could have a better look at the tube. Junghwa’s cheeks involuntarily turned pink with the sudden contact, the sudden lack of space between them.

“W-Well, I think there might be holes on them…” She cleared .
“You’re right about that.” He said grimly. “Yah, Jae! Didn’t you wear your glasses when you looked at the braking system?!”
“Oh, , I don’t think I did-” He scratched his head awkwardly. “I wear contacts now, must’ve forgotten that I wasn’t wearing them.”
“Idiot. There are holes all over the lower part of the tube!” Yoongi snapped. “Now we have to replace it!”
Hey, at least we’ll get a raise now!” Jaehyo winked, before putting his arm around Junghwa’s shoulder. “Thanks, babe.
Uhm, you’re welcome?” Junghwa arched her eyebrows. “Now how about you take your arm off? Or would you rather work with just one?

Jaehyo immediately backed off, as she gave him a smug smile and walked over to her jacket.

You’re right, Jae.” Yoongi sniggered. “She really is American.


As the pair walked back to their building, Yoongi began to whistle out a tune, his head bobbing up and down as he walked. Junghwa looked up at him in surprise.

“I know that song…” She mumbled. “That’s by Mobb Deep. Wasn’t that in 8 Mile?”
“You know 8 Mile too?” He blinked.
“Oh, yeah, who doesn’t?” She scoffed. “I grew up listening to Slim, Yoongi, of course I’d know 8 Mile.”
“I didn’t know that.” He stuck his tongue out.
“Well, now you do…” Her voice trailed off as she looked to her right. A devilish smirk crossed her face as she looked up at the board that read ‘IKEA’.

“Oh. Now?” He asked, catching on. She grabbed his hand in hers and pulled him inside.

Yoongi turned pink with the sudden contact, and found himself getting redder by the second. Junghwa jogged along the aisles as she dragged the taller boy behind her.

“Junghwa-” He began, but she didn’t hear him as she was engrossed in looking for something.

“Oy, Hwa!” He said firmly. Junghwa whipped her head around, arching her eyebrows.

“You just called me Hwa.” She mumbled. She didn’t seem angry though.
“U-Uh- I d-did?” He stuttered, realising his mistake. He wanted the ground to swallow him up mercilessly, as he felt his cheeks become redder by the second.

“Yeah. Say it again.”
“What?” He blinked.
“Say it again.” She smirked.
“H-Hwa?” He mumbled under his breath, avoiding her gaze.

“I can’t hear you, Yoongi.” Junghwa shook her head.
“Hwa.” Yoongi looked up from the floor, his eyes meeting hers. Junghwa looked at him with squinted eyes, before bursting into fits of laughter. Yoongi looked at her in surprise, blinking at the sudden turn of events. Junghwa looked at him again and grinned.

“I’m not mad, Yoongi, don’t worry. You really think Jungkook’s the only one that can call me Hwa?”

Yoongi gave her a stunned look, before letting out a relieved sigh.

“Sorry.” He shrugged, giving her a shy smile. “Now… not to be rude or anything, but do you mind, uh-”

Yoongi motioned towards their hands, and Junghwa immediately let go, turning pink herself.

“Sorry.” She flustered.
“It’s okay. Now let’s decide who’s getting in the cupboard.”

After a quick round of kai-bai-bo, Yoongi unfortunately lost, and was elected to step inside one of the cupboards when no one was looking. Junghwa stood out, pretending to admire the fine designs on one of the other cupboards.

A good ten minutes later, Junghwa found her victim, a young scrawny boy who looked no less than fourteen. He had a very timid look to him, and looked like even a fly could startle him into tears. Junghwa smirked evilly. Perfect. 

As soon as he reached the cupboard, Junghwa let out three loud and hoarse coughs. 

At once, Yoongi jumped out of the cupboard, and screamed "FOR NARNIA!" at the top of his voice.

Big mistake.

The young boy's eyes widened, and he let out a series of shouts, running down the aisle. Junghwa's eyes widened in surprise - she didn't expect him to react this bad. Yoongi stepped out of the cupboard, his eyes following the boy as he disappeared around the corner. 

"Well that went well." Yoongi glared at Junghwa. "Poor kid's scared out of his wits."
"Y-Yeah-"

Junghwa bit her lip guiltily, startled by the younger boy's reaction, and even more taken aback at how pissed off Yoongi seemed to be. 

"Well, . Let's just go back now." He said curtly, walking past her. Junghwa followed Yoongi, the happiness she felt a while ago now punctured, as she dragged her feet, not bothering to keep up with his pace. 

No words were exchanged as they walked out of the IKEA store. Yoongi firmly maintained his pace, while Junghwa's became slower with the passage of time. Finally, she was a good five metres behind him as they walked, her eyes downcast as she avoided looking up at him. 

They had turned into a dark alley. While there were obvious signs of habitation, the dark and gloomy atmosphere shot her nerves up. What the was she doing, walking down this ominous path?

Avoiding looking up, she walked on, biting her lip nervously. 

As Junghwa walked, she suddenly bumped into a figure standing in front of her. She looked up at the tall, intimidating man, immediately stammering out her apologies. 

"Can't you watch where you're going- Oh."

The irritation on the man's face had immediately changed into surprise, as he gave her a smirk. Junghwa stepped back, giving him a slight glare as she realised that he was obviously having inappropriate thoughts about her. 

"Ahjussi will accept your apologies if you give him something valuable." The man wiggled his eyebrows. 
"Wasn't my apology valid enough?" She spoke coolly, but on the inside, she was frightened out of her wits. She held her ground, however, now glaring at him viciously. 

"Don't be an impudent brat, and come with me." He grabbed her hand roughly. 
"Where to? Isn't your wife waiting at home? Junghwa snapped. "I'm never getting down with s like you. Let go of me." 

She knew she'd never get out of his grip. He was far too strong. However, she had to try to coax him out of trying to get down with her... at least until she could make a break for it. 

"Nice try, lady, that reverse psychology ain't working on me. Plus, I ain't married. Now, let's go-"
"Would this psychology work for you instead?"

A voice behind the man hissed, the anger in his voice evident. To Junghwa's shock, Yoongi was holding a knife to the man's throat, looking at him darkly. 

The elder male shook his head immediately, frantically shouting out his apologies. Yoongi let go of him. before pushing him to the side, giving him the most vicious glare Junghwa had ever seen from him. 

"Why don't you keep your hands to yourself?" Yoongi took Junghwa's hand in his, gripping onto it tightly. "Most people aren't like me, you're lucky enough to be alive. Now get out. Mess with Hwa again and I swear I'll punch you so hard you'll see the entire ing solar system."

Without another word, he turned away and walked away from the startled man, pulling Junghwa behind him. 

As they walked out of the dark alley, Yoongi's footsteps had slowed in their pace but his body language still showed a sense of urgency, as his grip on Junghwa's hand never slackened. Junghwa groaned inwardly. The already awkward atmosphere had intensified, as he refused to meet her gaze. 

After what seemed like forever, Yoongi relented his harshness. He cast a glance at Junghwa, who was looking down at her shoes as she walked. 

He looked down at their hands, and his cheeks turned pink again, realising that he'd been dragging her along, for how long he didn't know but he sure as hell hoped that it wasn't for too long. 

He stopped in his tracks, before giving her hand a gentle squeeze that made her look up into his eyes for the first time since they left the IKEA showroom that morning. He almost wished he hadn't done that. 

Junghwa bit her lip, the hurt in her eyes evident, and Yoongi felt horrible. Here he was, supposed to make her get over the unfortunate death of her parents, and yet, he was doing just the opposite, his actions and sharp words inflicting more pain and hurt than anything else.

"I'm scum. I'm sorry." He mumbled under his breath. "I didn't mean to get so mad back there."
"No, it's-" She shook her head, smiling sadly. "I shouldn't have done that. I knew he'd get scared, but I didn't think he'd take it so bad-"
"Hey, it's alright." He smiled, letting go of her hand to ruffle her hair. "You didn't know. It happens. I shouldn't have gotten so ticked off-"

Yoongi stopped, his brows furrowing together as he thought hard. Junghwa looked at him in surprise, as he suddenly grinned.

"I know how to make you feel better."


The two friends stood in front of room C of Soul Dance School, which was the dance practice room for Junghwa's dance crew. 

"I've never been in here before." Yoongi looked at the door with the board 'Room C', his eyes twinkling witth excitement. 
"Well be privileged to view this practice room. This door's usually only open for Hyerin unnie's class." Junghwa shrugged, putting the key in the lock. As she made to turn it, Yoongi suddenly held her hand.

"Wait, what if Hyerin noona's in there with Hobie?" He arched his eyebrows. Junghwa laughed, and shook her head as she pointed up at a light bulb that was positioned above the door. 

"It's off, no one's inside. So they're not doing anything 'inappropriate' in there." She grinned as she unlocked the door, and stepped inside, Yoongi walking in behind her.

The grey room, despite not being as colourful as the other rooms, had a strange sense of beauty that he couldn't explain. Maybe it was because it was his first time in here. Maybe, it was because he liked the colour grey. Maybe, it was because he had a ed up sense of beauty-

His train of thoughts were interrupted by Junghwa waving her hand in front of his face. 

"Earth to Yoongi~" She arched her eyebrows. "I gave you the dance room, now make me feel better!" 
"Aish, calm down, I haven't forgotten." He rolled his eyes, before pinching her cheek. "Ah, you're like a kid, so cute-"
"What? I hope you remember that I'm Jeon Jungkook's sister. Me, and cute? Psh." Junghwa scoffed.  
"Jungkook's cute. So you're cuter." Yoongi stuck his tongue out. 
"Why are you even saying this?!" Junghwa wailed, turning red as she looked away. Yoongi also turned pink, but thought fast. 

"Oh, well, just thought I'd cheer you up." He lied, secretly feeling proud of being able to cover up for the slip of his tongue. Goddamn, Min Yoongi, when did you become such a fast thinker?

"Okay. Cheering me up will take a lot more." She smirked as he walked to the music system, his phone in his hand. Taking a wire, he connected his phone to the speakers, before putting his songs on 'Shuffle'.

"Drop that nae nae, drop that nae nae~"

"AYYYYYY~" Junghwa laughed as she began to dance, a goofy smile across her face. Yoongi burst into laughter as he jumped next to her, beginning to do the dance with her, throwing his hands up in the sky. Junghwa laughed as the two danced wildly, not caring about making fools of themselves in front of each other.

"You're awfully chipper!" She laughed, as the song ended. Yoongi looked at her with a surprised expression, before softening into a warm smile. 

"If me being stupid makes you laugh, then I'd act stupid all day if it means making you smile, because I'd rather behold your smile when you're happy than hold you when you're sad."

He gave her a heart-warming smile, one like she'd never seen from him before. It was surprising, what one simple smile could do to a face, as his eyes became crescent-shaped, his dimple flashing as he grinned at her. Junghwa blinked, before her lips slowly curved into a smile she knew she couldn't hold back even if she tried.

The eye contact they'd established in those few seconds was broken as a familiar song started playing through the speakers. 

"This is a beautiful song..." Junghwa smiled as she recognized the piano tune from the beginning of Talking To The Moon. 

Yoongi jumped to his feet, and stood in front of her. To her surprise, he held out his hand in front of her.

"Dance with me." He smiled. Junghwa grinned as she put her hand in Yoongi's, allowing him to pull her to her feet. He ended up pulling her too hard; the sudden force made her fall against him, and she looked at him with a flustered expression. As she steadied herself, the song began to play, as Bruno Mars began to sing through the speakers. 

"I know you're somewhere out there, somewhere far away~"

"Uh, I haven't done this in a while..." She smiled sheepishly. "Dance like this, I mean." 
"I'll guide you. Dont worry."

He placed his arm around her waist and grinned, their figures pressed against each others as they swayed to the music, occasionally breaking apart so that he could twirl her around. Junghwa let out a laugh every time he did so, and sighed as they slowly swayed to the gentle beats of the song.

"On good days, when Mum would be able to stand..." Yoongi whispered. "Yoonjae hyung used to dance to this song with her, and sometimes Yoonmi."

Junghwa looked up at Yoongi as he shared this bit of his past with her, and sighed seeing the sad smile on his face. Her heart began to hurt when she could see the obvious sadness he was holding in, a part of it reflected on his face. 

"Sometimes, I'd join too, with either Mum or Yoonmi as my partner." He chuckled, smiling wistfully. "We barely had any good days back then. It was moments like those we lived for." 

Yoongi looked away, his grip on Junghwa's hand becoming tighter as they danced. 

"After hyung died... Mom never danced to this song again. And neither did I." He finally looked at her, smiling sadly. There was a long silence, after which he looked at her again, a grateful smile spreading across his face.

"But... I got to relive that happiness, that calming feeling, the joy and memory of dancing to this song again... thanks to you. Thank you, Hwa."

Junghwa gave him a sad smile, as she leaned her head against his chest, surprising him. 

"No, Yoongi..." She whispered, as the song came to an end. "Thank you."


"If me being stupid makes you laugh, then I'd act stupid all day if it means making you smile, because I'd rather behold your smile when you're happy than hold you when you're sad."

Best. Quote. Ever. And I made it. Call me narcissist but I don't care, because I think this is the most beautiful piece of literature I've ever written, period.
I don't know, if someone said that to me I'd start squealing like mad... Surprised how Junghwa keeps her cool (oh wait she's my character *facepalm*)
I'm becoming such a cheeseball. Oh my Namjesus. Oh my sweet Suga.This is the sappiest chapter I've done. Ever. Comments are welcome :3 You guys can't handle YoonHwa moments WHAT ABOUT ME I WRITE TME T^T #thesappinessofitall 

- Haru (P.S this GIF is so dreamy I just want to melt into his smile ugh Yoongi is so cute sometimes kthnxbye T^T //cries the Han river//)