Chapter 28

Ephemeral

Here's chapter 28. Didn't want to leave you peeps in the dark for too long ^^ 
Warning: THINGS WILL HAPPEN!

Junghwa blankly looked at the wall in front of her, her mind going back to that morning. How did tripping over your laces and falling down face first make you a drug addict?

Oh, right. I didn't have my 'daily dose of steroids' today. She scoffed to herself as she slipped another pill into . She heard Jungkook's frustrated shout outside her room as her door violently moved back and forth against her back, and stifled a sob as she held the already-locked door shut with her body as firmly as she could, slipping another pill into .

Jeon Junghwa, eighteen and fifty shades of ed up. And not the ual kind.

"Junghwa, open this goddamn door!" Jungkook shouted from outside. Even Namjoon tried his hand at pacifying her from outside, but it was of no use. Junghwa simply refused to open the door.

"There's only one person who can bring her out now." Taehyung rushed to the front door, yanking it open. He rushed down the hallway to Yoongi’s flat, not bothering to ring the bell as he fiercely banged at the door.

One of Yoongi’s eyes peeked open, as he looked at the door, and he sat up abruptly as the incessant knocking on the door increased in volume and momentum. Throwing his -of-a-blanket off his body, he jumped off the sofa, rushing to the door.

“What the -?!” Yoongi snapped as he yanked the door open, and immediately groaned when he saw who it was.

“What is it, Taehyung?” One of his eyebrows flew up with irritation. “I told you guys not to bother me today, you know I’m not well…”
“Come with me.” Taehyung grabbed his hand and pulled him outside, closing his door behind him.
“What’s wrong?” Yoongi arched his eyebrows with worry now, as he allowed himself to be pulled towards Jungkook’s apartment.
“Junghwa.”

Yoongi’s eyes widened as he walked inside the flat, and saw Namjoon and Jungkook outside Junghwa’s door, trying to open it.

“She isn’t opening the door.” Namjoon explained quickly. “She just ran into the house and locked herself inside. We tried to get her out but she won’t listen.”
"What makes you think I'll be able to get her out?" Yoongi asked quietly.
"We don't think you'll be able to. We know you'll be able to, one way or another." Jungkook nodded assertively.

Nodding slowly, Yoongi walked to the door, knocking on it softly. “Junghwa?”

After no reply, Yoongi sighed and, to everyone's surprise, knelt down beside it.

"Junghwa, I know you can hear me." He said softly. "I haven't given up on you. Jungkook hasn't given up on you. Nor have the others."

From the other side, Junghwa clenched her fists tightly, blinking back her tears.

"I know you're sad. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking about every single person against you. You're thinking that applies to us too." Junghwa shook her head, knowing that every single word he said was perfectly true. She closed her eyes, holding up the sixth pill.

"It would take a fool not to notice the antidepressants on your bedside table."

Junghwa froze. He noticed them-?

"Let me in." Yoongi murmured. "Just me. Please."

Junghwa shook her head violently, unable to believe that she was actually listening to him.

"Junghwa, I thought we were supposed to do this together." Yoongi sighed dejectedly as he stood up. Junghwa let out a breathy sigh, but did not open the door.

Footsteps, and they were gone.

Junghwa whimpered into her hands.


Yoongi sighed as he quickly typed into his phone, brows furrowed in concentration. Taehyung looked over his shoulder, reading the message.

"Junghwa, I still haven't given up. I'm going to wait for you at the bridge by the river." Taehyung murmured. "You're actually going to wait, Yoongi?"

Yoongi nodded fervently, and Taehyung, knowing that he wouldn’t be able to dissuade the other male from his decision, let out a resigned sigh. "What if she doesn't come?"
"She will."
"Why are you going so far just to help her?" Taehyung clicked his tongue in annoyance. "I don't understand. Fine, I would help her too, but to this extent... Yoongi, you've only known her for three months."
"And that's a problem, because, Taehyung?" Yoongi glared at him. Taehyung's face turned pink with shame as he looked away.

"I know you're thinking that I like Junghwa. I don't."
"But still! Doesn't explain it..." Taehyung mumbled.
"Well... It's hard to explain, Tae. You can say that I see myself in her." Yoongi murmured quietly. Taehyung looked at him in surprise. It wasn't like Min Yoongi to open up about himself so easily.

Yoongi ignored his friend's stunned expression, sighing to himself again.

"I didn't have anyone three years ago. I know you and Joon were there but I shut myself out and made myself miserable. I don't want her to go through that, and I certainly won't allow her to either." He mumbled quietly.

Silence.

"You know, by helping her though..." Taehyung finally began. "I think you're actually helping yourself too."
"How's that?"
"You're speaking a lot more now, Yoongi. It's almost like before." He smiled at the ground. "I haven't seen this Yoongi in a long time. I actually kinda like it."
"I try." Yoongi shrugged, giving Taehyung a pleased grin.

"Want me to wait with you?"
"Get inside, kid, it's cold enough already." Yoongi ruffled the younger boy's hair, making it messier than it already was.

"Hey! I just got my hair done!" Taehyung pouted.
"As if. I see no difference." Yoongi smirked. "Go home. ."
"Bye, Min." Taehyung nodded.
"And Tae? I really don't like Hwa. I wouldn't do that to you, and you know that, right?" Yoongi mumbled.
"Thanks, Yoongi. Good night! Don't stay out too late!"

Yoongi chuckled as Taehyung waved at him and ran down the road back to his apartment, before shuddering as the wind blew against his face. Hopefully, it wouldn't have to be a long night in the cold.


"Jungkook, guess what? Yoongi's still waiting at the bridge-"

Junghwa gasped as she heard Namjoon speak, and chills shot through her whole body. Yoongi’s actually going to wait for me-?

"Did he message you?"
"Yeah, he did. I don't know why he did it though, waiting in the cold, I mean. He looked like and that is sick enough anyway."
"It's 3 AM!" Jungkook roared at Namjoon.
"I know." Namjoon rolled his eyes. "But he won't come back. He's too damn stubborn."
"That , he's always making us worry!" Jungkook quickly pulled on his jacket, much to his friend’s surprise.
"Where are you going?"
“Bringing him back, of course! Hwa's not going anywhere, at this point, she probably fell asleep-”

By now, Junghwa couldn't take it anymore. She opened the door, and strode out of the room.

"Hwa-" Jungkook spoke, startled by her appearance through the door. Namjoon jumped up in shock, equally taken aback by the her sudden arrival into the living room.

"Kookie, let me borrow your jacket-" Junghwa pleaded. "It's okay, Hwa." Jungkook shook his head. "I'll go bring him back-"
"Please." Junghwa said shakily, grabbing on to his arm. "Please, Jungkook, don't argue with me, just let me ing bring him back, please-"

He was shocked to see that see that his sister was very nearly crying, but despite that, he saw the fierce determination behind her tearful eyes. Jungkook decided that it would be best not to argue, and slowly nodded, allowing her to go.

"Take mine, it's warmer." Namjoon quickly pulled off his hoodie and handed it to her. "Bring that back as soon as you can. He’s getting hell from me tonight..."

Junghwa nodded, giving the two boys a grateful smile before she ran out the flat and down the stairs to the ground floor. The moment she stepped out, the cold pierced through her jacket, and she shuddered. If it was this cold right now, and Yoongi was already sick…

Without wasting another breath, Junghwa ran down the road, her surroundings getting significantly colder as time passed. She managed to get to the bridge in less than five minutes, given that she was an adept runner.

And sure enough, he was there, wrapping his arms around his upper body as he looked down into the near-frozen lake from the bridge above.

"Yoongi!" She shouted, the hot tears she never knew she was holding in streaming down her cheeks uncontrollably. He looked at her in surprise, and slowly smiled.

"I knew you'd come." He chuckled weakly, as she ran up to him.
"Why would you do this?!" She bit her lip, looking up at him tearfully. “Wait out in the freezing cold, you’re an idiot- you really are-”

She grabbed on to his shoulders in anger as she reached him, and she could feel him shiver violently.

"You're a ing idiot! Who told you that you could wait out until three in the morning, huh?!" Junghwa cried. "You know that it's cold! Do you even know how much you've made me worry?!"
"Hey, you-" His teeth chattered as he spoke. "You came- you actually came."

Yoongi pulled her close, holding her against him as tight as he could. Junghwa blinked rapidly, before her arms went around his waist as she hugged him back even tighter, burying her face into his chest as she broke down into a fit of uncontrollable tears she could no longer hold in, her body racking with sobs against his thin frame.

It was an unexpected situation for him. Yoongi had been expecting a scolding, maybe even a violent outburst, but not a breakdown; at least, not of this of this intensity, anyway. Junghwa was holding onto him as if her life depended on it, her whole being convulsed with what he was sure to be cold, and extreme sadness. However, he reacted accordingly, bringing a hand up to gently pat her head, and in the process, hopefully comfort her.

“This , Yoongi. All I did was fall on my own two feet and I get called out for using steroids.” Junghwa choked out. “It seems like nothing wants me to feel better about myself. I’m trying so hard to move on, to be better, but nothing’s working out, and it’s just-”

Yoongi opened his mouth to say otherwise, but her next words rendered him speechless.

“I’m a mess. I’m hopeless.”

Yoongi shook his head as he backed away, moving her hair out of her face as he shushed her gently, his hands cupping her face in them while his thumbs wiped away the tears that streamed down her cheeks.

“Hey, Hwa.” Yoongi began, gently tilting her face up to face his. “I’m going to need you to calm down, can you do that for me?”

Junghwa slowly nodded, holding herself together so that she could hear what he had to say.

“You’re not a mess. It’s okay to feel sad, and cry, but that doesn’t make you a mess, and it sure as hell doesn’t make you hopeless either.” Yoongi exhaled shakily, partially because of the cold, and because of what he was saying to her. “You wake up everyday, eat food, go out, meet up with your friends… ing hell, Hwa, you’re not hopeless, you’re just as human as I am.”

She blinked, slowly absorbing everything that he had told her. Yoongi looked down at her deploringly, before beginning to speak again.

“We care about you, Hwa. I’m not asking you to smile all the time, because sometimes we just have those moments where we can’t bring ourselves to.” He gave her a wry smile of his own. “But the fact that you don’t have to be pulled out of bed by Jungkook anymore speaks a lot for itself.”
“How did you know about that?” She mumbled tearfully.
“He tells us sometimes. And he sounds really, really proud of you.” Yoongi decided to change tactic, seeing how she was curving towards his reasoning. “And I’m proud that you’re doing everything because you feel like you want to, not because you feel like you have to.”
“Yoongi…” Junghwa whispered, slowly wiping away her warm tears. “Thank you. You have no idea how much that helped.”
“Listen, no matter what people say, Jungkook’s always here for you, and so is Namjoon, Tae, Jimin, Hope and Jin. And I am always here for you, okay? You’re not hopeless.”
“Thanks, Yoongi.” Junghwa nodded, stepping back into his embrace for a thankful hug. And, they stayed like that for a while, with Yoongi occasionally patting her head in an attempt to soothe her further.

However, the moment was short-lived she soon realised that they were out in the freezing cold, and she backed away a little looking up at him. Anyone could tell that he was really ill, by his complexion that was paler than normal, flushed cheeks and his tired eyes that were a complete giveaway.

“Yoongi, why the did you wait out in the cold?”

He was slightly intimidated by the coldness dripping in her voice, so all he did was mumble a meek “Sorry.”, but not before he felt the cold run down his spine. He shivered as he looked away, and in the moonlight, his bloodshot eyes had suddenly become more evident. Junghwa immediately brought her hand to his forehead, before she gasped. 

"You're burning up!”
“I’m fine-” Yoongi opened his mouth to protest, but his confidence was betrayed by a series of harsh coughs. Junghwa shook her head, looking at Yoongi worriedly.

“You’re really not fine, let’s go home.”
“Well, I’m still fine. But yeah, let's.” He looked at Junghwa with a strained smile, as he began to walk back to the buildings with her. However, a dizzy spell soon stopped him in his tracks, having him hold onto the bridge’s wall for support.

“Come on.” Junghwa put her arm around his waist. "Put your arm around my shoulder and let's go."
"Junghwa-"
"Now, Yoongi." Junghwa said sternly, and Yoongi had no choice but to comply.


“Did you bring him back- oh wow.”

Namjoon's eyes widened as Junghwa trudged into the flat, supporting Yoongi on her shoulder.

"Hey." Yoongi grinned weakly.
"Dude, you look terrible." Jungkook murmured.
"You look like !" Namjoon gasped.
"Yeah, well, given I've been out in the cold for almost six hours-" Yoongi croaked, smiling wryly.
"You brought it upon yourself." Junghwa sighed as she opened the door to her room. "No, I've had it with your stubbornness. Lie down."
"Junghwa-" Yoongi protested, but she wouldn't hear a word of it, and pushed him down on her bed.

"I wasn't asking you, Yoongi!" She snapped as she pulled off Namjoon's jacket that she was wearing, and yanked it over his sweater. "And who told you to wear such a thin sweater anyway?!"
"Junghwa- ow!" He yelled as she smacked him on the head. She forcibly made him lie down on her bed, and pulled the blankets over him.
"If you move one muscle, you’re in for it, Yoongi." She shook her head, before rushing out of the room, almost running into Jungkook on the way.

"Pfft..." Namjoon snickered as he walked into the room. "I was going to give you hell for that stupid stunt, but it seems like Junghwa's already beaten me to it."
"Shut up." Yoongi grumbled, before coughing violently for a good fifteen seconds.

"You sound really ed up, dude." Jungkook clicked his tongue angrily. “Man, I hope we don’t get into trouble with Junghwa for letting you stay out late.”
"Why?" Namjoon let out a small chuckle, sitting down at the foot of the bed.
"The last time something similar happened was when my sister Jungah was sick and our parents were out of town. We were stupid enough to let her go out with her friends." Jungkook shook his head. “Needless to say, Jungah’s flu worsened, and we got into with Hwa because of it.”

Yoongi looked at Jungkook amusedly as he shuddered at the mere thought of it. Namjoon chuckled lightly, before saying quietly, “She's such a mom sometimes.”
"She's a lot like our mother. Always caring about people more than she needs to." Jungkook sighed, smiling wistfully as he looked towards the door. Yoongi brought his hand to his temples, massaging them as he looked back up at his friends.

"She’s really mad, isn’t she?" He smiled sadly.
"She's only mad at you because she cares for you a lot, Yoongi. Why else do you think she'd even bother coming for you at three am?"

Yoongi took Jungkook’s words by surprise. But before he could ponder about it, a voice interrupted his thoughts.

"Okay, everybody. I need to talk to Yoongi, can you please leave us alone for a bit?" Junghwa walked into the room, holding a bowl of steaming hot soup.
"Junghwa-" Namjoon stood up, but the look she gave him after his feeble protest told everyone that she wasn't in the mood for arguing. Nodding slowly, he walked out of the room with Jungkook, closing the door behind them.

"Sit up." She said quietly as she sat down next to him.
"Junghwa-" He began, sitting up slowly. “I really am sorry-”
"Say ah." She held up the spoon towards his face. He arched his eyebrows, almost refusing to do so, but his expression faltered under her sharp glare. Letting out a resigned sigh, he opened his mouth and grudgingly accepted the spoonful of soup.

"Ow!" He roared, clasping his hands over his mouth. "It's too damn hot!"

Junghwa tried her best to hold back her smile, as she rolled her eyes."It's lukewarm!"
"No it's not. Far from it! What the hell..." He grumbled, his eyes watering. “Is this payback for making you worry?
"I’m not that childish. Open up." She held out the spoon again, but stopped herself upon Yoongi’s pleading look.

"Can you please cool it down or something?" He pouted. Junghwa couldn't hold it in any longer, and laughed.
"Okay, Yoongi." She smiled, blowing on it gently so as not to spill any of the soup.

"Say ah." She held out the spoon towards him. Hesitantly, he brought his lips closer to the spoon and drank the soup slowly.

"Thanks, it tastes really good-" He mumbled, after a few mouthfuls, but suddenly broke into another violent fit of coughs. Junghwa began to rub his back soothingly to calm him down.
"You sound terrible..."
"-" He groaned, rubbing his eyes. He felt terrible. His fever had shot up again, and horribly too. And, he was tired beyond belief, but there was something in Junghwa’s eyes that told him he needed to speak to her again.

"See what you got yourself into?" Junghwa sighed.
"Sorry-" Yoongi coughed again.
"Hey, don't be sorry. Let's get you fast asleep." She smiled kindly, keeping the bowl of soup on the bedside table. “Finish that if you want to.
“Just a minute.” He took her wrist, looking at her with worry. “Sit down. I need to talk to you.”

Junghwa sat down slowly, just as Yoongi began to cough again, each one getting progressively worse by the second.

“I saw this coming, but are you sure you’ll be able to talk?” Junghwa began. Yoongi slowly nodded, rubbing at his tired eyes before looking at her.

“Promise me you’ll tell me if something ever happens.” He looked at her, his face twisted with concern. “Please don’t ever lock yourself up in your room like that. It might not have shown, but I was really worried when you did that, and hurt, too.”

Junghwa bit her lip, nodding slowly. She looked up at him, the regret washing over her face twisting his heart in the worst way possible.

“Don’t do it again.” He lowered his voice, letting go of her wrist to take her hand in his instead. “It might not show a lot, but you’re really important to me, and-”

I love you.

Yoongi stopped himself in time, his heart racing a mile a minute as the words rang inside his head. Where in the world did that come from? The sudden interference of those three words had taken a toll on his thinking, as his mind went completely blank. It might not have seemed very long to Junghwa, but it felt like forever before Yoongi could have at least some control of his thoughts that were now all over the place. His hands shook as the words echoed in his head, and his grip on her hand tightened a little, in the hope that she wouldn’t feel his fingers tremble against hers.

Swallowing his words, he looked up at Junghwa again, before saying, “You don’t realise how important you are to other people, until they tell you. Just know that you’re really important to all of us.”
“Thank you, Yoongi.” Junghwa gave him a small smile as she squeezed his hand reassuringly. “I… I get it now. I really do. And I’ll do my best to be… positive, and if anything bothers me, I’ll be sure to tell someone, anyone about something that’s bothering me. Yourself included, of course.”
“Works for me.” He nodded with a small grin. “Now, can I leave, or will you not let me?”
“Stay here, so we can check on you.” Junghwa stood up, letting go of his hand. She gave him a smile of her own, as she walked to the door. “Good night. We’re here if you need anything.”

Yoongi murmured his thanks, as she walked out of the door, closing it behind her. He fell against the pillows, grabbing onto his jacket as he let out a shaky sigh.

This couldn’t be happening. While his mind had constantly denied it, his heart had betrayed him just as frequently, making it hurt in an inexplicable way. He did not want to feel this way, but at the same time… he couldn’t help it that he did.

And that thought terrified him to no end.


Yoongi woke up that morning, finding himself in an unknown room. After getting over the disorientation of just waking up, he remembered what had happened the previous night. Glancing at the clock, he saw that it was three in the afternoon. I slept for nearly twelve hours straight-?

"He's finally awake!" Taehyung burst into the bedroom and jumped on him. "Yoongi~ you're awake!"
"You- - Get off!" Yoongi snapped, pushing Taehyung off of him. With disgruntlement, he looked around the room, meeting eyes with Hoseok, Namjoon and Jungkook.

"You're the !" Seokjin stormed into the room, surprising everyone with his outburst. "Who told you to wait out in the cold for six hours?!"
"Uh, well- I-" Yoongi stammered nervously.
"This idiot's too goddamn stubborn for his own good." Hoseok rolled his eyes as he walked into the room.
"Sorry, dude." Yoongi smiled sheepishly. "Guess acting recklessly has its downsides too."
"Ya think?" Seokjin smacked his head.
"Ow! Don't! Junghwa did enough of that last night." Yoongi grumbled, falling back against his pillows. Taehyung walked out of the room upon being called, which made Hoseok look at Yoongi mischievously.

“Well, at least she’s getting you under control.” Hoseok smirked. “You need a girl like that in your life.”
“What the is that supposed to mean, Jung Hoseok?” Yoongi’s brow shot up, his lips twitching in anger. Seokjin rolled his eyes, as he flopped down on the bed next to Yoongi.

“You haven’t thought about it? Junghwa and you?” He asked incredulously. “Don’t lie, Yoongi, we could see it the other day. It was written all across your face.”
“See what, Jin? Yoongi hissed, turning pink as he remembered his own thoughts from the night before. “It really isn’t anything like that.”

Hoseok and Namjoon glanced at each other, before nodding at each other slowly. They looked back at Yoongi, before bursting out into song, “Why the you lyin’, why you always lyin’~
Oh my God…” Yoongi buried his face into his hands, shaking his head slowly.
“Stop ing lying, Yoongi, we know you my sister.” Jungkook scoffed. “Just come out with it.”

“There’s nothing to come out with.” Yoongi snapped. “I’m ed up, Jungkook. I’m never going to be good enough for her.”

Yoongi glared at everyone, sending them into a stunned silence. Taehyung chose to walk into the room that very moment, looking at everyone curiously.

“Did I miss something?”
“Oh no, Yoongi’s just miffed for no reason.” Jungkook stepped in to save the day, giving him a reassuring smile. “Don’t worry, it’s unimportant.”
“Exactly. And isn’t Jimin coming over, Tae?”
“Yeah, here he is.” Taehyung grinned, just as Jimin walked into the bedroom, immediately followed by Junghwa.

“Well, aren’t you a lively bunch?” She chuckled. “I made waffles. First come, first served.”
“Me!” Yoongi and Taehyung chorused, while looking at each other in surprise.

“Hey, I haven’t had since last night.” Yoongi jumped out of bed, knowing full well that an argument was about to ensue.
“ you, you can always get waffles since you’re neighbours anyway.” Taehyung argued, as the both of them walked out of the room, the walls carrying the sound of their arguing to the bedroom.

"Waiting until three AM in the blistering cold, who does that?!" Jimin muttered, finally addressing the one doubt everyone had been having. "I’m so sure Yoongi likes Junghwa."
“I’m sure that he does.” Namjoon shrugged. “I don’t think he’d put his own health at risk unless he really cares for the person.
“Plus, him and Junghwa are super close, I think they’re both in denial.” Hoseok sighed. Seokjin rolled his eyes, looking at the door.

“There’s no need to think, Hoseok. Didn’t you hear him? ‘I’m never going to be good enough for her’, that was the giveaway.” Seokjin sighed. “Damn, why would he say that he’s ed up…”
“I think that he’s saying that because of the accident.” Namjoon mumbled quietly, sitting down on the bed. “He thinks he’s too emotionally scarred to care for her.”
“He takes care of her better than my older brother does.” Jungkook raised a brow, obviously not agreeing with Namjoon’s theory.
“It’s what we think. To him, though, he’s just looking out for her.”
“Bull.” Seokjin scoffed at Namjoon, slowly shaking his head.
“I think… it’s a given that Yoongi likes Junghwa.” Jimin looked at Jungkook with a small shrug.
"I have a feeling that that's the case." Jungkook nodded slowly. “Yoongi likes her, and I have a feeling that Hwa likes him too, but-”
"But what?" Namjoon arched his eyebrows. Jungkook sighed as he looked out the door, smiling sadly as he saw Junghwa smack Yoongi upside the head, much to the latter’s dislike.

“I have a bad feeling about it… it’s happened before.” Jungkook looked at everyone else, surprising them. “There’s someone else. Someone else who might be interested in Yoongi. Someone who might come in between them very soon.”

Hoseok looked at him curiously, before murmuring, “Who, Jungkook?”

With a small sigh, Jungkook looked at everyone else, as he murmured, “It’s…”

Oh, who could this someone be? And Yoongi's realisation... oh my, I did say things are happening >.< #whyualwayslyin
Huge shoutout to dede-chan for helping me with this update! Funny story actually, I showed her a line from this update and she started a full-on rant in which she outlined why Junghwa wasn't a mess (she isn't!) and that inspired what Yoongi tells her when they're out in the cold T.T
Anyway, that's it from me today. I have a horrible headache and I am going to get some well-deserved rest now! ^^