Chapter 2.

Ephemeral

Re-Ignition

            “Jeon Jungkook!” Junghwa shouted.

WHAT?!” He yelled back angrily. “Jesus, we’re late enough, as it is-
And whose fault is that? Idiot!” She smacked his head angrily. “Where is my chain?”
“Which one?” He arched his eyebrow. “You have, like, a million of those.”
“You know which one I mean.” She sat down at the dining table. “The one mom gave me.”
“I haven’t seen it here.” He shrugged. “Check your room?”
“Twice. Not there.” She groaned. “No~ that was my favourite one!”
“Is it this one?”

Jungkook bent down and picked up a silver cross off of the ground. Junghwa squealed with joy as she grabbed it from his hand.

“Take better care of your stuff.” He rolled his eyes.
“It’s safe! Thank you, Kookie~!”

She jumped on him, pulling him into a tight hug. He gasped and spluttered for air, and pushed her back.

“Christ! Calm down, I know you missed me and !”
“Yeah right.” She snickered, fastening the chain around her neck. He shook his head in disapproval at her childish behaviour, and grabbed her arm,

“Okay, Hwa, let’s GO. Don’t wanna be late on our first day back!”
“Okay.” Junghwa grabbed her phone and her bag, and stepped out of the apartment.

“, my theory homework- WAIT RIGHT THERE. I’ll be right back.” Jungkook smiled sheepishly and ran back inside. Junghwa tapped her foot impatiently as she waited for her brother to come out. The sound of a door closing to her right caught her attention.

Junghwa slowly looked to her side, and saw a brownish-orange haired boy, two doors down the hallway, lock up his flat. He wore an orange beanie, and as he turned the key into the lock, his lips pursed into a funny expression. She noticed, that his eyes had been lined with a thin layer of eyeliner, funnily enough, but it gave him a strange vibe of intensity. Had it not been for the tie, she wouldn’t have known that he was in her high school, Seoul Arts High.

Quite suddenly, the boy turned to look at her. Junghwa looked away immediately, blushing as she’d been caught staring.

“Thanks for waiting – Oh, Yoongi!” Jungkook shouted as he jumped out of his apartment.

The boy wearing the orange beanie turned around, looking at Jungkook and Junghwa quietly. He gave them a small nod, barely noticable.

“Yoongi, this is my twin, Junghwa.” Jungkook grinned at his sister. “Junghwa, this is Min Yoongi.”

Yoongi nodded at her, not saying much. Her wide smile had faltered under his intense gaze.

“Nice to meet you.” She said quietly. He nodded again.
“Sorry, Hwa, Yoongi’s not much of a speaker. But right now, I think he’s just really shy.”

Jungkook winked at Yoongi, who rolled his eyes, but Junghwa noticed that he was turning pink at the cheeks. Giggling to herself, she walked along with them downstairs. Unfortunately for them, their building’s elevator had a habit of breaking down when you least expected it, so they had to walk down five floors.

“Jungkook-ah!” Another brown haired boy grinned as they stepped out of the apartment. His hair was plastered against his forehead, and he had a bright, gummy smile. Along with him were four other boys. One of them had black hair, which was spiked up. Another one had bright orange hair and looked pretty hot – Ah, Junghwa, don’t! These are Jungkook’s friends, they are off limits! – And another had dark brown hair, with a fringe. The last boy had an adorable eye smile, and he wore a cap on his head.

“Meet my sister.” Jungkook smiled. “Guys, Junghwa. Hwa, these are my friends. My “gang”, if you must.”
“Nice to meet you.” She waved. They all smiled at her.

“Woah, so pretty~” The boy with the cap spoke bluntly.
"Thanks, I think." Junghwa blushed a little - she wasn't too used to such straightforward remarks.

“Hot damn. How come you’ve never introduced us to her before?” The orange haired boy stood up, smirking at Junghwa.
“Back off, Taehyung. You can’t lay a finger on Junghwa.” Jungkook shook his head.
“Aw, look, he’s getting mad!” Taehyung teased. “Don’t worry, I’m not hitting on your sister anytime soon.”
“I don't think I'd mind if you did.” Junghwa joked.
“I think I’m gonna like you, Junghwa.” Taehyung smirked again. “Kim Taehyung.”

The boy with the cap stepped in front of her and smiled.

“I’m Park Jimin.” He spoke. “Nice to meet you.”
“Busan?” Junghwa arched her eyebrows. Jimin laughed and nodded.

“You have a good ear for accents.” He grinned
“Because I’m from Busan too.” She chuckled. Jimin nodded again.
“Of course I knew that! Obviously, because Jungkook’s from Busan too!” He rolled his eyes. “Do you think I’m that dumb?!”

“That’s the problem, Jimin, everyone thinks that you’re dumb.” The boy with the fringe snickered, before stepping forward and smiling lopsidedly.
“Kim Seokjin.” He nodded. “I’m the most attractive one.”

“Shut up. Even Jimin gets more game than you, Jinnie.” The boy with the spiked hair rolled his eyes. “Kim Namjoon. Nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you, Seokjin, Namjoon, Jimin, Taehyungie.” Junghwa winked at the orange haired male, who grinned again.
“I’m Jung Hoseok.” The last boy stepped forward. “Nice to meet you!”

“So nice to meet you folks!” Junghwa grinned. Everyone laughed, except for Yoongi, who was unusually quiet.

“Ah, Yoongi-yah! Stop avoiding us and come say hi to Junghwa!” Namjoon pulled the quiet boy closer to them. Yoongi turned pink immediately, stuttering quietly. Junghwa felt sorry to see the boy struggle with his words, and immediately stepped forward.

“Ah, Namjoon, it’s alright, I met him a while ago.” Junghwa covered for Yoongi’s stammers. Yoongi looked at her, gratefulness gleaming in his eyes.

“Well, alright.” Namjoon nodded, and the eight teenagers walked to school.


“Woah!” Junghwa gasped, looking around the auditorium. Being a new student, she had to rendezvous here in order to be briefed about the rules and regulations.

“Hey, I’ll see you later, yeah?” Jungkook nodded at her. “I gotta go before I get into trouble-

Junghwa nodded and waved at her brother, who ran like the wind. As he disappeared around the corner, she walked inside. Looking around at the other new students, she was pretty sure that she was the only third-year high schooler. Sighing again, she glanced at the huge screen that had been put up especially for their briefing. She walked forward and took a seat in the back row.

Junghwa looked to her left as someone tapped her shoulder.

“Third-year?” The blonde haired girl asked hopefully. Surprisingly, she was Caucasian, and despite that, she spoke in Korean with an incredible fluency that even Junghwa did not have at times. She didn’t even have an American accent mixing with her Korean as she spoke to Junghwa, smiling toothily. Junghwa nodded, and the girl proceeded to sit down next to her.

“I’m May. Nice to meet you.” The Caucasian girl grinned at her.
Nice to meet you too. I’m Junghwa.” She replied in English. May’s eyes widened in recognition.

Woah, you’re from New York? I’m from Jersey! Nice to meet you, fellow American!

Junghwa chuckled, the accent now somewhat familiar.

“You have a good ear for accents, May from New Jersey.” Junghwa chuckled. “And your Korean’s really good too!”
“Thanks. I try.” May shrugged. “Oh, look, the orientation’s starting-

The orientation was incredibly boring, and as the head teacher droned on about what to do and what not to do, Junghwa zoned out, and May actually had the audacity to fall asleep on her shoulder.

After the teacher was finished with her speech, Junghwa shook May awake.

“C’mon, we’re being assigned into our classes.”

After this, Junghwa went to choose her subjects. She decided to go for English Literature, Theatre and Dance. May chose Dance, Music and English Language.

After a while, she was told that she would be in class 3-F. To her dismay, May was put in 3-E.

“Aw, shucks.” May sighed. “I was hoping we’d be in the same class.”
“My twin brother’s in 3-E.” Junghwa smiled. May’s eyes lit up in excitement.
“I hope he’s hot.” May said bluntly. “Because you’re really pretty, Junghwa.”

Junghwa, who almost made a protective remark, immediately held herself back, and chuckled in bemusement.

“Well, how about that? Sure, you can have him, you have my permission.” Junghwa winked. “I’ll see you later, gotta get to class now! Bye, May~!”

Junghwa jumped out of the auditorium and sprinted to class. Students in the hallway looked at her in surprise as she whooshed past them, a determined look plastered on her face.
“Ah, yes!” She laughed, reaching class just as the bell rang. Now she wouldn’t get in trouble for being late-

“Hey, blondie!”

Junghwa arched her eyebrows at the red haired boy who had the nerve to call her blonde. He looked quite intimidating, but for him to insult a new student was, for her, slightly outrageous. And so, she held her ground, crossing her arms across her chest.

“Yes, tomato?” She retorted coolly. "And for the record, they're streaks, get your eyes checked."
“Touché.” He smirked. “You run fast, lady, ever considered being on the track team?”
“Boy, you’re fast at looking for new recruits." She smirked.
"I try." He shrugged, grinning broadly. "So you game?"
"Wait, you actually have a track team?” She asked disbelievingly. “I thought this school was all for performing arts!”
“That doesn’t mean we neglect physical recreation.” He arched his eyebrows. “You’re good at running. Saw you running out of the auditorium and ran after you. 3-F, huh? I’m in 3-A, filled with those snobs- oh, I’m talking more than I usually do!”

He flustered, and it was amusing to see the intimidating boy look embarrassed for once.

“Ha, that’s okay.” She smiled softly. “I’m Jeon Junghwa.”
“Bang Yongguk.” He shook her hand and grinned. “Do you happen to be Jungkook’s sister, by any chance?”
“Actually, I’m his twin.” She grinned back. His mouth formed a small 'oh' as he nodded.

“Thought so, you have his running traits. Plus, your smile. Exactly like his.” He smiled, showing off his gums as he did so.
“Are you possibly gay for my brother?” Junghwa teased.
“No, he is not.”

They heard an annoyed voice, and turned to look at Jungkook, who was looking at him angrily.

“Chill, Kookie.” She laughed. “Yongguk here was just asking me if I’d like to be on the track team.”

Jungkook arched his eyebrows, before his lips slowly broke into a smile.

“Yeah, alright. I’ll see you after school today, Bang.” He chuckled. “Gotta dash, Hitler’s wife’s going to smother me with poisonous words and-
“I get it. Go.” Yongguk chuckled, and as Jungkook dashed off, he looked at Junghwa, who stared after her brother in bewilderment.

“Hitler as in our principal. His wife’s equally bad.” Yongguk shrugged. “So you in? The team I mean.”
“Oh, why not?” She grinned. “I was on the track team back in America.”
“So was Kookie, right? Anyway, gotta bounce. Catch you later.” He grinned. “Oh, and for track… come in whenever you can. We’ve got a trial session next Monday, so you can come down the track, 5 AM. Be there or be square.” He winked.
“I won’t forget.” Junghwa nodded, before hopping into her class. The teacher looked at her in surprise.

“Oh, another new student!” The teacher smiled pleasantly.
“Sorry, I was lost-
Junghwa bowed, before smiling at her.

“Why don’t you introduce yourself to the class?”
“Hello, everyone.” Junghwa bowed to the class again, before smiling widely. “I’m Jeon Junghwa. You might know my twin brother Jungkook, from 3-E.”

A few chuckles rose in the air, and Junghwa sighed in relief, knowing that she was somewhat welcome to the class.

“I’m the homeroom teacher and English Literature teacher, Yuna Joo.” She smiled kindly. “Why don’t you sit next to Yoongi over there?”


Here's the second chapter! Hope you folks are liking this story so far^^
In case you're wondering why Suga is so freaking shy... you'll find out soon enough :P let's just say I'm casting aside his ahjumma-chic confidence for a shy, sorta introvert and quiet person. Funny, Suga's not actually like this, but idc lololol xD