Chapter 19.

Ephemeral

Hey sugarplums! <3 Hope you've all been doing well! I'm sorry this chapter took so long to get together, but it was really hard to get it all in place and ish, but I think it's come out pretty well. I've been fooling around with the HTML a bit too, so the text isn't too big, or too small anymore! I'm sorry I took forever to get this posed but this was a really hard chapter to write, and it's pretty long too, since there's plenty of action. Do leave a comment, peeps! I love hearing what you've to say! <3

Oh, and the title of the story... HeadToToesLove is to blame for that (well, mostly me since it was my idea to do the ing wager...)

"He did not." Junghwa's jaw dropped. 
"He did." Taehyung muttered bitterly. "He's a ing idiot."
"I'll say!" Junghwa grumbled, as they turned into a hallway on the right. "Goddamnit, Min Yoongi, why on earth would you do that?"

"It's complicated." It was all Yoongi could say as he glared at the floor. Namjoon let out an exasperated groan, as he glared back at Yoongi.

"What the do you mean 'It's complicated'? It's only so damn complicated cause you're making it." Namjoon growled. 
"You gonna shut up, or do I have to make you?" Yoongi arched his eyebrows. "Listen, if you don't get it, don't bother. I know this seems like a really dumb thing to do, but at the same time, it's not so stupid, you know that feeling?"

Namjoon looked at him worriedly, before letting out a resigned sigh. "Yeah, only too well."

"So please. Just help me out once I'm in. You've always had my back even though I've been an ungrateful little bastard these three years, haven't you?" Yoongi gave him a small smile, and Namjoon shrugged, giving Yoongi a grin.

"Damn straight I have." He smirked.
"Hey, don't let Namjoon be the only one." Daehyun spoke up. "We're a team, man. We got your back."
"Thanks, Dae." Yoongi grinned, giving him a grateful smile. 
"Yeah, man!" Hanbyul wrapped his arm around Yoongi's shoulder, smiling widely. "You're family. And since you're shooting guard with me and Mark, that practically makes us brothers." 
"Yeah, we got you, brotha." Mark grinned, ruffling Yoongi's hair, before turning towards the rest of the teammates. "Y'all ready to kick some today?"
" yes." Jiho smirked, and on cue, the whole team began to cheer excitedly, riling each other up for the match that was about to follow. 

"How are they so excited?!" Taehyung arched his eyebrows as he and Junghwa stood behind the crowd, looking at the basketball team with bewilderment. Junghwa shook her head slowly, unable to believe what she was seeing. Her eyes looked around until they fell on a familiar figure, and she patted his shoulder, making him turn around.

"Oh, hey, Junghwa." Jackson gave her a wide smile.
"What's going on?" She asked quietly. 
"Yoongi got challenged by a shooting guard in Changsuk High, so we're all giving him the motivation he needs to show them who's boss!"
"What he needs is a good -whooping!" Junghwa suddenly snarled; Jackson jumped with surprise, slowly walking back before he disappeared into the crowd behind him.

"Yah." Jackson hissed into Yoongi's ear as soon as he got to him. "Junghwa's here with Taehyung. And she seemed really pissed when I told her about what happened, might wanna go see what's up." 
"News gets by fast, doesn't it?" He sighed, looking at Namjoon, who gave him a sheepish grin. "Come on, then."

Yoongi nodded at Namjoon, who followed him through the crowd to the other side of the team, and they found themselves face to face with Taehyung and Junghwa. And they did not look too happy. 

"Oh crap." Yoongi hissed under his breath. "Hey, Tae, Hwa."
"Can I have a word with you?" She arched her eyebrows, looking at Yoongi only. Yoongi glanced at Taehyung, who was looking at him just as sternly. With a resigned look, he nodded, following Junghwa to the other end of the hallway. By now, there were a fair deal of eyes looking their way, murmuring indistinctly as he turned around the corner; his cheeks began to flush with the attention that he suddenly didn't welcome any longer.

"So you're trying to prove yourself to this  of a guy that you're not responsible for what happened three years ago." She crossed her arms across her chest, looking at her sternly. "And you agreed to take the blame if SAHS loses today."
"Oh, tell me something I don't know." Yoongi scoffed, allowing his easily provoked irritability to show. 
"Why?" She demanded. "Why'd do you do it?"
"What do you mean? I have my reasons." He muttered, honestly not wanting to justify himself to anyone.
"Why, Yoongi? What's there to prove to him?" Junghwa rolled her eyes. "You don't have to prove anything! You're not responsible for what happened, Yoongi-"

Her voice fell as she slowly took his hand in hers, giving him a worried look.

"Why?" She looked at him sadly. 
"...I blame myself for their deaths every day, Hwa." He whispered. "And this... I don't know how it'll make sense to you, but it does to me. If I win today, it just might help me move on... I don't know how, but I get the feeling that it just might work."

She looked up at him once more, before sighing again. 

"I get it. It seems crazy for us, but not as much for you."
"It's actually-" He grinned, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze. "Very crazy. But... I have to do this."
"You better kick today." She mumbled, before giving him a reproachful look. "Or else I'm going to kick your today." 
"I won't mess up." Yoongi shook his head, giving her a confident smile. "I'll give them all I've got."
"I'm sure you will." Junghwa turned around to walk towards the gymnasium, when Yoongi, in the spur-of-the-moment, grabbed her wrist, before pulling her towards him.

"Yoongi?" Junghwa arched her eyebrows as she was pulled into an embrace that she hesitantly returned.
"I guess I needed that." Yoongi murmured, giving her a grateful smile.
"Good luck." She slowly grinned. "We're rooting for you... you got this."

Yoongi grinned back, ruffling her hair gently before making his way back to his team, his heart filled with slightly more confidence.

He got this.


"Folks, give it up for our very own basketball team!"

One of the freshmen shouted into the mike, riling up the audience as the fifteen players walked into the gymnasium, sending the crowd into screams and shouts of motivation.

"With third-year student Jung Daehyun assuming captaincy of the team this year, we might see some strategic differences in the SAHS team's play. We can see many new additions to the basketball, which interestingly enough, consists of only third years!" 
"Yeah, thanks for that newsflash." Mark muttered sarcastically. 
"It's not like it's our fault anyway." Daehyun shook his head. 

Yoongi wasn't paying attention to the conversation between his teammates, nor was he listening to the commentary by his junior. His eyes scanned the players of Changsuk high, making mental assessments of the players. He could see that most of the players weren't as tall as most of theirs; they would be around his height, maybe even shorter. So this is what Mark meant by Changsuk High being easy for us. 

His eyes shifted towards Jinhyuk, and his little troupe of shooting guards. They were fairly tall, as tall as Hanbyul. But in his experience, he knew that height wasn't always an advantage.

Yoongi looked at the sleeves of his training undershirt, before glancing back at the rest of his teammates, who were shivering slightly; and he realised that someone managing the hall had cranked the air-con up to max-cooling.

Proof that Min Yoongi was nervous, he tended to think about things he ought not think about. This was just one of them. 

"Alright, crew." Daehyun began, as the team formed a clustered circle around him. "Here's what we're going to do. Their shooting guard's pretty strong, but their defense look undergrown and weak. The first quarter should be a piece of cake for us." 
"Let's hope that's the case." Changmin snickered, earning a few nervous laughs from the rest of his teammates. 
"Well, yes." Daehyun rolled his eyes. "Anyway, I'm sending Taekyeon in first, along with Namjoon, Jiwon, Jaebeom and Hanbyul. Let's try and keep these players the same for the first quarter."
"Gotcha." Taekyeon nodded, before he walked away with the rest of the chosen teammates.

"Is it okay to send Taek in first?" Yoongi looked at Mark curiously. 
"Yeah, don't worry about it. Taek may have joined at the end of second year but he's one hell of a point guard. He's usually sent in first, he's like a good luck charm to the team, bless him." Mark pretended to wipe a tear away as he beamed at the point guard. 
"No pressure there." Yoongi snickered.
"None." Mark winked back.

"I'm not going to go over the rules." The referee looked at Namjoon and the other team's centre player seriously. "Just play fair. Last thing I need is broken bones on this court."

The two centre players nodded, before casting each other vicious glares. The referee blew into his whistle, before throwing the ball up in the air.

Being the taller of the two, Namjoon had the greater advantage over Changsuk High's centre; he jumped and managed to catch the ball in his hands. The audience screamed with joy as he moved around the other player, taking the ball towards their net.

"And Kim Namjoon manages to take the ball for the home team! SAHS has already made it very clear that they're not sparing time for any niceties." The announcer shouted into the mike ecstatically, as Namjoon raced past the away team's power guard, before passing to Taekyeon, who passed to Jiwon effortlessly. Jiwon streaked through the court, dodging the other team's point guard as he passed the ball to Hanbyul. Hanbyul ran to the three-point line, the ball bouncing on the floor as he reached his desired position.

"PG on you!" Taekyeon roared, and Hanbyul bit his lip as he took the plunge, shooting the ball towards the basket. It spun around the rim, dangerously that too, before falling through the net. Hanbyul let out an excited shout as the audience roared.

"About damn time we took the first basket!" Namjoon whooped as the rest of his team surrounded Hanbyul, ruffling his hair and patting his hair.

"We don't take the first basket?" Yoongi looked at Mark curiously.
"Nah, we don't take the first basket, not usually. That usually means our defence has improved or our passing. Our strengths are our SGs and our PGs, but the rest wasn't this good last year." Mark shrugged. "Jiwon's been training like mad, hasn't slept much except for yesterday, when he skived class."
"They all have. Namjoon hasn't been sleeping much either. And he's always practicing his passes with me and Taehyung."
"Tae plays?" Mark arched his eyebrows.
"Yeah, and he's mad good, too." Daehyun spoke up. "But he goofs around too much. I don't know how serious he'd be on the team."
"Well, if something happens, you know who to force onto the team." Yoongi winked at Daehyun, before diverting his eyes back to the court.

The other team glared at the SAHS players quite venomously, before glancing at each other. Though it was very discreet, Yoongi managed to notice the gestures that were near impossible to see from where he was sitting. He nudged Mark, before motioning towards the other team's power guard, a large and burly player.

"They're signalling at each other, and it doesn't look like good news."
"Dae, I think these guys are going to be unfair again." Mark called out. "Warn Taek. And yeah, Changsuk's best known for playing dirty, so no surprise there."

The away team passed back and forth, but their shooting guard was immediately apprehended by Jaebeom, who snatched the ball while he was distracted. With an incredible speed, he began to move towards the defense's net, his eyes fixed on Hanbyul, only flickering back and forth to avoid collision with the other players. 

"Jae, pass to Joon!" Taekyeon shouted from the other end of the court; Jaebeom immediately threw the ball to Namjoon, who whizzed past the enemy players, before passing to Hanbyul, who managed to land the ball in the basket with a clean lay-up.

"And Hanbyul scores once more for SAHS, taking the score up to 5-0!" Cheers rippled through the gymnasium, celebrating this small victory over the opposing team.

The game went on for the remaining of the fifteen minutes, and the referee signalled the end of the first quarter with his whistle. Daehyun looked at the scoreboard, before letting out a small sigh.

"What's up? We're leading 15 to 6. Isn't that good?" Yoongi looked at Mark curiously.
"You have so many questions, I always forget you're new." Mark shook his head. "Changsuk's known for lagging behind in their first quarter. They pick up by the second or third quarter, because they're known for playing dirty. Just wait, they'll catch up somehow, they always do."
"We're usually neck to neck by the final quarter." Junhong added, sitting down on the floor beside the pair. "We've won a few times because of the SGs, but somehow, I don't like the look of this Jinhyuk character..."
"He plays mean." Yoongi scoffed. "He used to be SG with me back in middle school. Of course, we used to get along back then, despite the fact that he was being a bit of a ."

As the rest of the players jogged back to the benches, Daehyun stood up, smiling at them broadly.

"Okay, good game so far, guys." Daehyun beamed at his team, before becoming serious again. "Alright, we've had a good first quarter, but there's no telling how it'll change. We need to be careful from now. Yunho, I'm sending you in, it looks like they' aren't changing their PF anytime soon, we're going to need an equal footing for that. I'll go in next, and swap with Changmin in between." 
"Gotcha." Yunho smirked, standing up.
"Chanyeol, you're in. Jiwon, I'll keep you for a bit longer, we'll send you back in between so Hanbin can come play." Daehyun grinned at Jiwon, who looked beyond ecstatic at staying on the court for much longer. 

"About time staying up late paid off." Jiwon smirked.
"Mark, you're in. Yoongi, I'll send you in for the third quarter." Daehyun nodded at the auburn-haired male, who slowly nodded.

Chanyeol took his place on the court, facing the new centre player that was giving him the dirtiest look he could manage.

The referee blew into his whistle, throwing the ball up in the air. Chanyeol immediately grabbed the ball in his fingers, but it slipped out of his hands and bounced to the side, where the other centre player took advantage of his slip-up and caught the ball, dribbling it towards his net. He passed it to his team's shooting guard, who scored a triple-point with incredible ease.

"Tsk." Changmin muttered. "Doing exactly what I told him not to."

Chanyeol gritted his teeth angrily as the enemy team celebrated their victory. The score was now 15 to 9, but SAHS was still leading. For now, anyway.

"For 's sake-" Daehyun clicked his tongue, his eyes emphasising the anger that was evident on his face. "Damn it, Chanyeol-"
"Chill, we got this." Yunho nodded at him, before jogging back his side. Chanyeol passed the ball to Jiwon, who passed it to Daehyun, who whooshed through the players to the enemy net, running past Changsuk's defences, before passing the ball to Mark, who scored with a dunk.

"Mark's really good at dunking." Namjoon shook his head, grinning broadly as the score shot up from fifteen to seventeen.
"He's shorter than me and he can dunk better than I can." Yoongi shrugged, applauding with the rest of the team as Mark ran across the half court, shouting victoriously as he was pulled into a tight group hug.

The match went on for another few minutes, until there were only five minutes left until half-time. But Changsuk had regained their momentum, bringing their score up to 20 against the home team's 21.

"Tsk." Yoongi clicked his tongue, angry that Changsuk had managed to catch up with such ease. And he wasn't the only one that was displeased with the sudden turn of events.

"Alright, this isn't going well." Daehyun grumbled, as motioned towards Changmin to lift the board for the player changeover. "Chanyeol, go back! Junhong, you're up."

"Watch me slay!" Junhong grinned, jumping to his feet.
"He's the better of the centre players and he knows it." Namjoon grinned at Yoongi as Junhong jumped towards the other players, exchanging a high-five with Chanyeol as he walked back to the sidelines.

And for a while, things did look up for SAHS; Junhong's massive height proved to be an incredible advantage for their team, and Mark, being extremely able to adapt to the change in play, managed to score three baskets in four minutes. With one minute left, SAHS was now leading against Chanhyuk with 26 to 21.

"Junhong's doing a good job." Namjoon nodded, looking very pleased with the tall centre.
"He really is." Yoongi nodded, although he was a bit worried. He had noticed Jinhyuk, who had just come in, looking at Junhong with what seemed like contempt. And that usually wasn't good. Yoongi strongly hoped that he was wrong about that.

But unfortunately, things chose to go awry when none of them expected it.

In the last minute, none of the teams were able to score a basket, but as the referee blew the whistle for half-time, Changsuk's point guard began making his way towards Junhong, the basketball held in his hand at a suggestive angle.

"Yah, Junhong, look out!" Hanbin yelled. Junhong turned around, and, to everyone's utmost shock, was greeted by the ball. Right in the face.

"Junhong!" Yoongi jumped to his feet, running towards the boy who had just collapsed to the floor. The rest of the players rushed up to Junhong, kneeling down on the floor beside him.

"Woah, Junhong, you okay-"
"Of course he's not, look-"
"He's bleeding!" Daehyun yelled. "Get the medic!"

Amidst the confusion, Yoongi caught Jinhyuk's eye, only to be met with a mischievous smirk in return. 

Yoongi jumped to his feet, his face contorted with fury. Curling his hands into tight fists, he was beginning to make his way towards the other team's shooting guard, when he was immediately restrained by Mark and Namjoon.

"Yoongi, no!" Mark spoke struggled words as he held Yoongi back. "Don't! They'll kick you off too!"
"Damn it, let me at him!!" Yoongi snapped. "Just let me at Jinhyuk, 'cause someone needs to set that straight-"
"Take him back to the bench." Daehyun shook his head, and Namjoon and Mark, along with Jiho and Yunho, dragged Yoongi back to the sidelines.

"Oy, listen!" Mark snapped, grabbing Yoongi's shirt in his fist. "No, stop this. This is ridiculous."
"You should know that he's just doing this to egg you on." Namjoon began. 
"He ing set the point guard up to do that to Junhong!" Yoongi shouted. "What, I'm supposed to sit here and just watch that happen?!"
"They sent the PG off, okay?" Yunho shook his head.
"Yoongi, if you pull off some sorta stunt out there, he won't be taken off the court, you will." Jiho shook his head. "And if you keep this up, Dae won't send you on court, so calm the down. We're still leading."

Yoongi grudgingly nodded, shaking the arms off him. He glared at Jinhyuk, who was looking at him with ill-contempt.

"Jinhyuk's been having his eyes on Yoongi for a while now..." Hanbin mumbled, looking at the other team.
"I'm aware." Yoongi stood up as the rest of the team helped Junhong to the benches. Sitting him down, Daehyun placed an ice pack on top of his swollen eye, while the medic began to tend to his injuries.

"It's not deep, fortunately. We won't need stitches. Let's just clean it up and put some ice on it, and see how it goes." The medic nodded at Daehyun. "Can some of you help me take him inside?"
"Let's take him to the changing rooms." Jackson nodded, and along with Jiwon, helped the medic take Junhong to the locker rooms.

"Okay, then." Daehyun sighed. "Jiho, Namjoon, Hanbin, Yoongi and myself. We're going in."
"Let's kick some Changsuk ." Jiho smirked, jumping to his feet. 
"About ing time." Yoongi muttered, running his fingers through his own hair as he jogged onto the court.

"Seems like SAHS's line-up has changed yet again! The captain and Kim Namjoon are coming back onto the court, and are joined by Kim Hanbin, Woo Jiho and Min Yoongi!"
"SU-GA! SU-GA!" Hoseok chanted, and a lot of the people next to them began to join in, cheering for Yoongi as he walked out onto the field. He looked back at his group of friends, who screamed with joy upon being spotted. 

"Hey, cheer for me too!" Namjoon wailed, giving them a furious pout. Yoongi waved them off, his cheeks turning pink at the sudden attention. But then, he shouldn't be embarrassed. Being the only addition to the team that year, he was bound to attract some form of attention, if not all of it.

Oh, Jinhyuk's in this quarter too. Yoongi thought to himself, as he glanced over at the away team's shooting guard with spite. Looks like I'll have to do my best this very instant.

Yoongi and Jinhyuk exchanged glares, as they took their positions on the court. Namjoon stood at the centre of the court, eyeing the foray of the Changsuk players behind the centre player in front of him.

The referee blew the whistle as he threw the ball in the air yet again, and Namjoon grabbed onto the ball with a jump, before rushing past the bewildered centre player. Jiho and Yoongi immediately rushed over to the other side, mixing in between the players. Namjoon passed to Hanbin, who passed to Yoongi after reaching the net. Yoongi caught the ball in his fingers, and passed it back to Jiho. The point guard that was in front of him let slip a curse as he rushed back to Jiho, who immediately passed the ball back to Yoongi. With a lazy throw, Yoongi got the ball through the basket, bringing the score to 28 to 21 with SAHS in the lead.

"And Min Yoongi scores for SAHS! They have an incredible advantage over Changsuk High now, who are lagging behing by seven points!" The announcer shouted, unable to contain his excitement as the whole school roared at the simple basket.

"Yes!" Daehyun jumped, before grinning at Namjoon. "Alright!!"

The match progressed smoothly for the home team the first five minutes, bringing the score up to 35 to 21. However, that's when things started going downhill once more.

Namjoon was in possession of the ball, and was immediately surrounded two big players, who were making it near impossible for him to pass the ball to anyone. He was firmly bound to the sidelines, unable to pivot on one foot any further. Any step further and he would put a foot outside the court, and would definitely not be good for him.

Seeing that he was in a pickle, Daehyun's scanned the court, falling on Yoongi who was surrounded by little to no one.

"Pass the ball to Yoongi!" Daehyun shouted from his place, and Namjoon, with a strained shout, threw the ball up in the direction of the net. Yoongi, who was in the clear, caught the ball with his fingertips, managing to get a firm hold on it before it slipped out of his grasp. But before he could move with the ball any further, one of the larger players from the away team collided into Yoongi, sending him flying across the court. He fell to the floor on his shoulder, before rolling over a couple of times. 

"Yoongi!" Namjoon immediately rushed over to him, falling to his knees beside the writhing figure. 
"What the happened?" Daehyun rushed over to the pair, just as the referee blew the whistle to signal an injury on the court. "You okay, Yoongi-"
"Daehyun, does he ing look okay?" Jaebeom rolled his eyes. 
"My- ing- shoulder-" Yoongi spoke in between painful gasps, grabbing his shoulder in his palm. 
". Take him back to the benches- Jiho, you're here, help Yoongi back and send Mark in." Daehyun nodded at Jiho, who slowly nodded as the rest of the team helped the injured male to his feet. 

"-" Yoongi winced, putting his good arm around Jiho's shoulders as they hobbled to the sidelines. 
"Mark, go in." Jiho nodded. "Man, some fall, huh?"
"Talk to me about it when you've felt the pain." Yoongi snarled, and immediately protested as Jiho tried to sit him down.

"No ing way. You're going to pop this little back in."
"Wait, I'm going to what?" Jiho looked at him with shock.
"You heard me. Well, do you know what to do?"
"I have no ing idea." Jiho shook his head as they walked into the changing rooms, and as he was met with an incredulous look, Jiho shook his head. "I mean, I do. I'm afraid I might do more damage than this, though."

"What happened to you?" Junhong mumbled, looking up at Yoongi and Jiho half-consciously; the cut by his eye had stopped bleeding, but the area had swollen up horribly. 

"Shoulder- ah-" Yoongi growled as he sat down, wincing as pain shot up his arm once again. "Okay, listen. Get Hoseok." 
"Listen," Jiho began. "Just sit back, and let us handle the match."
"No." Yoongi glared at him viciously. "Get Hoseok. Don't make me say it a third time."
"Alright, geez-" Jiho grumbled, walking towards the doors again. Junhong looked at Yoongi, unable to hide his curiosity any longer.

"Why Hoseok?" He began.
"Why not Hoseok?" Yoongi growled, and instantly regretted it when Junhong's eyes widened, and he looked away, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. Yoongi sighed; he was in terrible pain, but he shouldn't be taking it out on Junhong like that. 

"Hoseok dances-" Yoongi gasped as he tried to sit up straighter. "He b-boys. He has plenty of experience with dislocated shoulders, since he helps teach at a dance school, sometimes. And you know the rest..."
"What's going on?" Hoseok's voice rang through the changing rooms as he walked inside, followed by Jiho and Jackson.
"Hoseok, pop my shoulder back in."
"No ing way, get that to a doctor and-"
"Hoseok, I've still got one good arm." Yoongi stood up, glaring at him. "If I'm going to it over by punching you in the face, I think it would be well worth the hit."
"Point duly noted." Hoseok grumbled. "Sit down, and just try to relax." 

Yoongi sat down on the bench once more, wincing slightly as Hoseok lifted his right arm. 

"Damn, this hurts." Yoongi muttered. 
"Oh, it'll hurt more, trust me." Hoseok scoffed, holding his arm in both of his hands. "You ready?"
"Get on with it, we're almost at the end of the third quarter."
"Alright, sourpuss." Hoseok shook his head. "One."

"Is it okay for him to do this?" Jackson murmured uncertainly. 
"Just let the man do his job." Junhong shook his head at Jackson, giving him a stern glare. Hoseok, hearing the doubt in their voices, looked at Yoongi uncertainly, suddenly feeling hesitant. Yoongi chewed his lip, before looking up at his friend, giving him a firm nod.

"Three." 

Hoseok immediately yanked the arm forward; Yoongi let out a loud shout as his shoulder popped back into place, and he keeled over, his fingers sinking into the flat of his hand as he tried to get past the sudden rush of pain that was beyond excruciating. 

"What the happened to two?!" Yoongi snapped as Hoseok tried to help him up. 
"Surprise factor." Hoseok chuckled, as he began to rotate Yoongi's arm slowly. "How's your shoulder feeling?" 
"Can't feel a thing." Yoongi lied; there was a small bit of pain in his arm, but he chose to brush it off, in the hope that it would pass with time. 

"Alright." Hoseok nodded. "Stretch it some, ease those muscles. I'm going back to tell the others what happened."
"Yeah, thanks." Yoongi gave him a small smile as he ran out of the locker room, before stretching his arm slowly, until he felt that it was good enough for him to get back onto court.

"Let's kick some ." Yoongi growled, looking at Jiho with a smirk.
"Holy ing , and I thought I was stubborn." Jiho shook his head, as they walked through the doors, Junhong following closely behind. 

"You are, Jiho." He snickered. "Yoongi just happens to be a tiny bit more stubborn than yourself."
"Damn straight." Yoongi chuckled, as they walked back out on the sidelines. By now, the third quarter had ended, and the score was at 35 to 45, with the away team leading the game. 

"What are you doing here?" Daehyun arched his eyebrows curiously. "Isn't your shoulder ed up?"
"Hoseok popped it back in." Junhong explained.
"Let me in." Yoongi looked at Daehyun, his eyes cold with fury. "Don't give me the shoulder bull, I'm not having any of that."
"Chief, believe me." Jiho shook his head, patting Daehyun's shoulder. "He won't back down without a fight. He's more stubborn than I am."
"Painfully so." Daehyun sighed, before looking at Yoongi again. "Will you be able to do it?"
"Of course I can, Daehyun-" Yoongi began, but Daehyun held his arm out, shaking his head. 
"Anyone can. Will you be able to do it? Make us win today?"

Yoongi looked at Daehyun again, before giving him a firm nod.

"I will." He smirked. "Watch me."
"Good, just what I want to hear." Daehyun grinned, before calling Chanyeol and Jackson over. "Okay, I'm sending you in with Jiho, Jackson, Chanyeol and Changmin. You four," Daehyun looked the other four. "You're going to back Min up like your life depends on it. Am I clear?"
"Got it." Jackson put both his thumbs up, giving Yoongi a reassuring grin. "Don't worry, Yoongi, we'll kick . We'll also kick that guy's for you, if you'd like."
"Thanks, Wang." Yoongi smirked. "Let's do this."

"And now, from SAHS, we have some of the strongest players of the team. Park Chanyeol as centre, point guard Shin Changmin, small forward Wang Jackson, power forward Woo Jiho-" The announcer was interrputed by a string of cheers as Jiho's name was announced. "And shooting guard Min Yoongi coming back on the court, despite taking a heavy fall not ten minutes ago!"
"YOONGI!" Jimin roared from the audience, and was joined by the rest of his friends and most of the students in the crowd. Yoongi looked towards his group of friends, before giving them a graeful smile.

His eyes flickered to the other side of the court, meeting Jinhyuk's. The other male was giving him a vicious glare; he has obviously been thinking that Yoongi was out of the game due to his injury.

Yoongi returned the look just as fiercely, before taking his position on the court. Time to rock and roll.

The referee blew the whistle for the final quarter, and fortunately, Chanyeol was taller than the other centre player. His fingers caught the ball in time, and he swerved to the side, bouncing the ball as he wobbled around dangerously. He passed the ball to Jackson, who was immediately surrounded by the opposing team. Jackson pivotted on one foot as his eyes frantically scanned for his teammates he wasn't able to see.

"Wang!" Changmin yelled, and Jackson threw the ball up in the air towards the source of the sound. Changmin caught the ball with one of his hands, before bounce-passing it to Yoongi, only just missing one of Changsuk's players.

Yoongi quickly passed to Jiho as he started running towards the basket; Jiho caught the ball and weaved through the players seamlessly, before he passed the ball back to Yoongi, who strode twice before jumping up, shooting into the basket with a clean lay-up.

"And Min Yoongi scores for SAHS!" The announcer shouted enthusiastically as the crowd jumped to their feet, screaming shouts of victory. Yoongi glanced over at Jinhyuk, who was looking at him angrily. He looked back with a smug smile. 38 to 45.

Changsuk was now in possession of the ball, given that the home team had scored. However, despite their efficient passes, Yoongi managed to snatch the ball from the other team's point guard, before passing the ball to Jackson. The latter dribbled the ball closer to the net, before passing the ball back to Yoongi. When Yoongi was about to shoot, however, the other team's small forward collided into him, causing the ball to fall out of his hands as he fell to the floor again. Jinhyuk managed to grab the ball from Yoongi's hand, before quickly dribbling it to the other side of the court.

"HEY!" Yoongi shouted, holding his hand up in a curled fist as he stood up. "That's a foul!"

The referee blew his whistle, making everyone on the court stop in their tracks. As the crowed booed fervently, he beckoned the player who had pushed Yoongi to the floor to come over, and he did so, an appalled look on his face. 

"I didn't do anything!" The small forward player gasped.
"What do you mean, 'I didn't do anything?', you pushed me!" Yoongi snarled.
"It was an accident, okay? Calm your down, both of you." He growled back, before pushing Yoongi roughly. 
"Hey!" The referee shouted, pushing the two boys apart, before looking at the Changsuk player with a stern glare. He immediately held his hands up to form a T, before nodding at Jinhyuk to pass the ball back to one of the home players.

"Seems like Changsuk High's in trouble - the referee has signalled a technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct. The ball's been passed to Chanyeol of SAHS who has a free throw from the sidelines, for their team." The announcer shouted, bringing out more cheers from the home team supporters.

Chanyeol passed to Jackson, who took the ball through the many players, running towards the other side, much to everyone's surprise.

"Jackson! Back-court!" Changmin yelled, his eyes widening with shock. Jackson stopped just as he reached the centre line, and turned around, smirking at the other five Changsuk players that had surrounded him. Arching back, he threw the ball back to Yoongi, who was in the clear.

"Damn , Jackson." Mark laughed hysterically. "That's why he wouldn't leave Yoongi alone during practice!"

Everyone cheered as Yoongi managed to score a three-pointer, shooting the score up again. The rest of the players surrounded him, patting his back and ruffling his hair enthusiastically. Daehyun watched the scene from the sidelines, smiling broadly as he looked back at the scoreboard. 41 against 45. Victory was so close, he could almost taste it. They had ten minutes left for the match to end. Could they do it?

Changmin threw the ball from the boundary, passing it to Chanyeol, who passed the ball back to Changmin once he stepped back in. Changmin furiously rushed towards the other end of the court, passing the ball to Jiho, but in vain; Jinhyuk managed to intercept the ball, before quickly dribbling it back to his end of the court.

"SG on you!" One of his teammates shouted as Yoongi rushed towards Jinhyuk. Jinhyuk turned around, giving Yoongi a mischievous smirk as he held the ball out of his reach.

"What's wrong? Insoles don't make you tall enough?" Jinhyuk jeered.
"Cut the bull." Yoongi snapped, glaring at the taller male viciously. Jinhyuk shrugged, before glancing to the side. He smirked at Yoongi, before passing the ball to his left.

"Yoongi, fall back! Changmin shouted; Yoongi glanced to his right, and saw that Jiho had managed to grab the ball from the enemy player. He immediately rushed back to his side of the court, Jiho following close behind.

"Yoongi rushes back to the other side at an incredible speed, and Jiho passes to him, and back to Jiho, and back to Yoongi- seems like they'll be passing to each other for a while- and there's an opening for Yoongi, who's going to attempt to shoot it from the three-point line again-"
"Yoongi! SF on you!" Jiho yelled, just as Yoongi threw the ball at the basket.

"YAH!" Namjoon yelled from the benches as Changsuk's small forward collided into Yoongi again, sending the both of them across the floor.

The referee immediately held his hands up in a T, before motioning towards the away team's small forward. He sent him off to the bench, shaking his head when he tried to argue. The audience screamed their approval as the play was sent off, much to the delight of the SAHS players.

"About ing time-" Yoongi grumbled, wincing as he stood up. His shoulder was starting to hurt again, though not as much as it did earlier.
"You okay?" Changmin nodded at him. Yoongi gave him a small smile as he nodded back, before glaring at Jinhyuk. He was pretty sure that the boy was up to his old tricks again. 

"I'm thinking that they're after Yoongi." Jackson breathed heavily, bending over as he looked at the other team. "As in, they're intentionally trying to bring him down. They thought they had it when he broke his shoulder-"
"Dislocated." Chanyeol rolled his eyes, before looking at Yoongi. 

"I'm not surprised, he did this in middle school too." Yoongi grumbled, before looking at the scoreboard again. 43 to 45. "Oh, the ball went in?"
"Yeah, it did." Jiho grinned, just as Junhong walked up to them, giving them a stern look. 

"I'm going in. Don't give me saying my eye's all whacked." He growled. Chanyeol sighed, before patting Junhong's shoulder.

"Kick out there. I'm counting on you." Chanyeol grinned. "Same goes for the rest of you."
"Oh, don't worry. Count on it." Jiho smirked, before looking the other four players. "So you ready to slay?"
"Oh, you bet." Junhong grinned.

"There's been yet another player change, with Park Chanyeol coming off the court, and Choi Junhong's going back in!" The audience roared upon Junhong's re-arrival back in court, and Daehyun couldn't help but grin proudly.

"That kid never gives up, does he?" He chuckled at Mark, who shrugged.
"The whole goddamn team. I supoose we have you to thank, Dae." Mark replied graciously. 
"You're too kind." Daehyun grinned, before the two focused on the game once more.

Changmin passed the ball to Daehyun, who had passed the ball back Junhong, whose reappearance had shown to be a great advantage for SAHS, who scored another basket almost immediately, tying the scores at 45 points.

"Alright, we're doing well. Five minutes left." Mark chewed on his t-shirt as his eyes darted back and forth, eyeing the home players. He was incredibly nervous, as was the rest of his team.

Oh . I've never been this nervous in ages. Yoongi thought to himself, his eyes following the ball as it moved from one player to another, until it was in Jinhyuk's hands. Yoongi rushed towards him, trying to snatch the ball out of his grip. He had missed, unfortunately, but Jinhyuk wasn't done there. He stuck his foot out, and caught it with Yoongi's foot, making him fall face first.

"Foul!" Junhong shouted, holding his first up in the air as he pointed at Jinhyuk and Yoongi. The referee immediately rushed over to the pair, holding his fist up in the air as he shook his head at Jinhyuk, who was feebly protesting the foul against him.

Yoongi sat up, rubbing his temples gently. Changmin knelt down beside him, putting his hand on his shoulder as he asked, "You okay?"
"Never been better." Yoongi rolled his eyes, groaning as he stood up. "I'm fine. Take the throw, Changmin."

Changmin nodded up at him, before jumping to his feet, taking the ball from the referee. He rushed to the sidelines, before nodding at Jackson and Junhong. Almost immediately, two of the opposing players tried to block access to them, flaying their arms about violently. 

Changmin threw the ball up in the air, passing it to Jiho. However, Jiho was in for a rude surprise, when Jinhyuk managed to steal the ball from him, before streaking through the players to the other side. Yoongi rushed after him, but was unable to apprehend him; Jinhyuk scored two points for his team, taking Changsuk's score up to 47 agaist SAHS's 45.

"!" Yoongi snapped, as he took the ball in his hands, standing at the boundary line. He nodded at Jiho, who had caught his bounce pass in the nick of time. Jiho began to dribble towards the other end furiously, throwing the ball to Yoongi with a chest pass. Yoongi was about to get the ball to the other end, but Jinhyuk obviously, had othe plans.

He grabbed onto Yoongi's right hand with no discretion, and yanked it roughly. Yoongi's hands let go of the ball as he fell to the floor once more, and he sat up with an enraged roar as he held up his hand in a curled fist.

The referee ran towards them, before sending Jinhyuk off on the pretext of a technical foul. As Yoongi stood up, the referee handed him the ball, telling him to take a free throw for the team.

"Oh, ." Namjoon suddenly stood up, his eyes widening as Yoongi took his place at the three-point line. "Oh no."
"What's wrong?" Daehyun mumbled nervously, looking at Namjoon with surprise; why was someone who usually kept his cool losing it at this moment?

"Jinhyuk... he intended for this to happen. He knew the score would get here somehow, and he knows that Yoongi's weak at three-pointers-" Namjoon muttered, and Daehyun's eyes widened, as he understood what Namjoon was getting at.

Jinhyuk was waiting for this.

He knew. He knew that it would come to this. He knew that Yoongi would be the one making the free throw. He knew that Yoongi was bad at three-pointers; though he had improved a great deal these past few weeks, he knew that most of those were just luck. But now, he couldn't depend on luck. He had to do this. For his team, and for himself.

His palms were sweaty as the nerves began to build up. His knees felt weak; was it because of falling down numerous times? Or was it because of the intense amount of pressure that had built up?

His arms felt heavy as he held the ball up against his chest, his eyes fixated on the metal rim. His heart throbbed in his chest, the weight of his team now on his shoulders. There were no ifs and no buts. There was no room for chance. He had to do this. His honour and pride were at stake right now. He needed to do this. He had to.

He was so lost in this inner conversation with himself that he had forgotten that time was ticking.

"Yoongi!" Jiho yelled frantically, snapping him back to reality. "Ten seconds left!"

Yoongi brought the ball to his lips, murmuring a silent prayer as he closed his eyes. He opened them shortly after, looking at the red, blue and white net.

With all the strength he could muster, he threw the ball towards the net.

I am back! Haha! Hahaha! Haha- you get the point.
Anyhoo, I hope you liked this update :3 sorry for the ending... #sorrynotsorry #hehehe

Anyway, I know this is a cliffhanger, and you know how I love those :) but that aside, thanks for 115 subs *O* I'd like to take this chance to thank each and everyone of you that has been reading Ephemeral and leaving wonderful comments so far. I know I haven't been replying to a few, but I had been so terribly busy, but now, I'm done with high school and I have a while until college, so you might see plenty of updates from now. And I shall do my best to reply to comments! Promise <3 xoxo

-Haru. (P.S. Yoongi got dem mad skillz, bruh... mad skillz)