Chapter 21.

Ephemeral

"We had gone to a friend's place and we had some drinks-"
"That might have triggered the overdose-"

Jungkook rushed with the paramedics as they took Junghwa to emergency, Yoongi wasn't far behind, jogging to keep up with the stretcher that had now reached the doors of the emergency room. The doctor stayed back as Junghwa was taken into the room, and firmly held Jungkook back.

"Mr. Jeon, I'm going to have to ask you to stay here." The doctor shook his head at Jungkook slowly.
"What? No-!" Jungkook shook his head. "That's my sister!"
"I know, Jungkook, but the counterdrug is wearing off and she's slipping back into relapse. I can't have you in there."
"What?! Doctor, just met me inside-"
"Jungkook, let them do their job." Yoongi forcefully pulled Jungkook away, grabbing onto both of his arms and stopping him for breaking past the doctor into the ER.

"Yoongi! Let go!" Jungkook snarled as he tried to wriggle out the older male's grip.
"Jungkook, no." Yoongi shook his head, his hands still firmly gripping onto Jungkook's arms. Jungkook struggled in his arms for a while, screaming at Yoongi to release him, before he reached the end of his tether, becoming slack in his grip as he broke down. 

Yoongi blinked, before letting out a small sigh as he held Jungkook close. The poor boy never cried like this, well, at least not often. He was the 'strength' of the group, he would always hold himself together. To think that Jungkook would break down... it was an impossible thought. He patted the younger male's head gently as his body racked with sobs against Yoongi's smaller frame.

"Hey, look at me." Yoongi patted his shoulder, before gently pushing him back. Looking Jungkook in the eye, he firmly spoke, "She'll be alright, you hear?"
"Y-Yeah-" Jungkook sniffled, letting out a low cough. He wiped his tears away, before giving him a strained smile.

"Yeah." Jungkook nodded, before taking out his phone. "I need to call Jungho hyung, tell him what happened."

Yoongi nodded as Jungkook took out his phone, and he quickly dialed a number, before holding the phone to his ears. However, when Jungkook opened his mouth to speak, the words wouldn't come out, and Jungkook could only blink rapidly, as he tried to speak but couldn't. Seeing his predicament, Yoongi prised the phone from his hands and held it to his ear.

"Jungkookwhat the is going on?" Jungho snarled 
"Uhm, Jungho hyung, this is Min Yoongi. Jungkook's neighbour?" Yoongi mumbled hesitantly. 
"Ah, hello..." Jungho replied slowly. "Is Jungkook alright?"
"He's fine. Well, there's no easy way for me to say this, hyung, but," Yoongi sighed heavily. "Your sister overdosed on anxiety pills this morning."

Jungho was quiet for a few moments, after which he managed to murmur faintly, "Come again?"

"She overdosed on Xanax..." Yoongi repeated, unsure of whether he should have done that. After a brief silence, he was met with a heavy sigh.

"Not again." He mumbled, and Yoongi blinked with surprise. This has happened before?

"Uhm, we went drinking last night, the doctor said that it might have been triggered because of that." Yoongi sighed. "She's in the ER now."
"Okay. No chance of speaking to Jungkook?"
"He's not taking it too well, I'm afraid." Yoongi glanced over at Jungkook, who had taken a seat on a black chair by the wall, burying his face into his hands.

"No, of course he wouldn't." Jungho sighed again. "Okay, tell him I'm taking the next flight to Incheon-"
"Is that alright? I mean, it must be pretty late there, and you do have two more sisters." Yoongi spoke meekly, afraid that his words might irk Jungho, but it was only out of genuine worry. 

"Damn it, you're right-" Jungho sighed heavily.
"Hyung, I'll be here with Jungkook and Junghwa until you get here. Please don't worry." Yoongi offered. 
"It's very kind of you... Alright, please look after them until I'm in Korea."
"I will." Yoongi nodded with a small smile. 
"Oh, and Yoongi?"
"Yes?" He mumbled, surprised at being addressed by his name by the older male for the first time.
 

"Thank you."


Yoongi and Jungkook were sitting at the cafeteria of the hospital, waiting for the rest of their friends to arrive. Jungkook was with his head on the table between his crossed arms, shaking violently. Yoongi kept quiet as his friend gasped into his sweater. He could hear the struggling breaths Jungkook was trying to regulate.

"Jungkook, your medicine-" Yoongi finally spoke up, holding out an inhaler. Jungkook peeked through the bangs of his hair, hand reaching out to slowly accept the medicine. His chest heavily moved up and down as he strained bring his breathing back to normal.

Popping open the cap, he brought the inhaler to his mouth and puffed in the medicine.

Now calming down a bit, he sighed as the medicine kicked in, and he immediately rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand.

"Jungkook!"

Namjoon, Hoseok and Taehyung ran up to the pair, worried expressions plastered on their faces.

"Hey, is she okay?" Hoseok asked.
"We got here as fast as we could." Namjoon added, sitting down next to Jungkook.
"I dont know, Namjoon. I don't know what's going to happen, and I'm scared less." Jungkook's voice shook as he spoke. "It's all my fault- I didn't know about this at all, and I could've stopped this from happening if I had known-"

"She OD’ed on Xanax." Yoongi stood up, looking at everyone with a grave expression.
"She has anxiety problems?" Hoseok asked quietly.
"She began taking them after Mom passed away, under a prescription, but that was only until we came back here." Jungkook mumbled. "But Xanax is addictive, and she had must’ve too much, and you know the rest."
"You didn't know that she was taking the meds after her prescription, Jungkook, you're not at fault, and she didn't choose to tell you either. Don’t blame yourself. We don’t." Namjoon patted his back reassuringly.
“But I was supposed to look after her, make sure this didn’t happen again-”
"She was addicted to Xanax?" Taehyung said in disbelief.
"Yeah..." Yoongi mumbled, and was surprised when Taehyung let out a heavy sigh.

"I knew she took them." He said quietly. Everyone looked at him in surprise.

"You did?" Hoseok arched his eyebrows.
"Yeah. But I didn't think she was addicted to them or anything." Taehyung sighed. "I was told that it's medication-"
"You knew and you didn't tell me?" Jungkook snapped. "We could've lost her if she hadn't told us herself!"
"She made me promise not to tell anyone else." Taehyung mumbled. "I'm sorry, Jungkook, I should've told you earlier."
"Hey, what's done is done." Yoongi said curtly. Everyone looked at him in surprise as he suddenly assumed authority over them. "The doctor's coming this way, we'll see what we can do about this later."

The doctor walked up to them, giving them a reassuring smile.

“Hello, boys, I’m Dr. Yeo.” The woman smiled at them kindly. “You’re with Jeon Junghwa, am I right?”
“Yeah-” Jungkook cleared his throat. “She’s my sister.”
“Well, Jungkook, your sister’s going to be alright, thankfully.” She nodded slowly, and everyone let out sighs of relief, as Jungkook sunk back into his chair, smiling at the floor wistfully. The happy moment, however, was briefly shattered when Dr. Yeo coughed, making everyone look up at her.

“I’m actually a psychiatrist, and Junghwa was referred to me after Dr. Yang found out that this was a case of drug overdosing.”
“Yeah…” Jungkook nodded slowly, avoiding the doctor’s burning eyes. He knew what was coming. And he didn't want that just yet.

“Uh, Dr. Yeo-” Namjoon spoke up on his behalf. “As much as you’re curious about Junghwa, can we discuss this after we meet her, please?”
“Of course.” She smiled again. “I’m sorry, you must all be really worried about her.”


"Nng..."

Junghwa groaned into her pillow as the curtains were drawn back, allowing the bright sunlight to shine across the room. She glanced at her clock sleepily. 12:00 PM.

"Junghwa, your friends are here to see you." The nurse began, and Junghwa shot up from her sleeping position, her eyes widening at her twin brother and his friends.

Her friends.

"Junghwa!" Taehyung rushed to her, wasting no time in pulling her into a hug. "We're so glad you're okay."
"Hey, Tae." She murmured. "How you doin'?"
"Hey, kiddo." Namjoon ruffled her hair. "You gave us quite a scare, you know."
"Sowwie." She pouted, before looking around the room rather anxiously, her eyes hunting for something she wanted.

"Looking for this?" Jungkook stood up, and violently flung something at her. "Found these before we came here. Care to explain yourself, sis?"

She winced as the tiny cardboard box hit her forehead, and her heart nearly stopped in her chest as she held up the empty packet of Xanax.

He knew.

"Jungkook." Hoseok arched his eyebrows, but Yoongi shook his head, motioning towards the door.

"Oh no you don't, Yoongi, don't you dare step out of this room." Jungkook hissed. "Everyone stay right there while I talk some sense into my stupid sister!"

The words stung as he said them. Junghwa knew her brother was painfully straightforward, but right now, when her emotions were in turmoil, she didn't need a reality check.

"I'm sorry, Jungkook-" She mumbled, hoping that he'd end it at that. But Jungkook was far from over.

"Sorry?" He spat. "That's what you said the last time you were in the hospital!"
"The last time?" Namjoon arched his eyebrows, unable to hide his curiosity.
"It's so convenient of her to forget mentioning her previous addictions, don't you think so too, Junghwa?" Jungkook's voice dripped with sarcasm.
"Jungkook, no-" Junghwa pleaded. "Please, Jungkook, don't do this to me, not now-"

"Age fifteen, Jeon Junghwa came home smelling like every day, and I didn't say anything, until she got expelled for smoking up in school." Jungkook began. "Six months after rehab, she had a bad alcohol addiction when she was sixteen."
"Jungkook, shut up." Junghwa pleaded, now on the verge of crying.

"After another session of rehab, she was addicted to when she was seventeen. Following an overdose, our parents had to take her to hospital out of our county. And when they were getting back after her last rehab session was when the accident had happened."

Jungkook's chest heaved up and down as he glared at his sister. Junghwa hung her head in shame, shaking all over.

"I just guess you'll never learn!" Jungkook rolled his eyes. "Why do you think Dad sent you here?"
"Enough, Jungkook." Yoongi said quietly.
"Why don't you just get addicted to sleeping pills now, huh?" Jungkook said sarcastically.
"Jungkook." Yoongi said sternly, and Jungkook stopped, eyes widening as he realised what he had done.

"You know what, MAYBE I WILL GET ADDICTED TO SLEEPING PILLS!" She screamed. "THAT WAY, YOU'LL HAVE ONE LESS PROBLEM TO DEAL WITH WHEN I'M GONE-"

"Ssh, Junghwa-" Yoongi held his hand to , shutting her up. "Namjoon, take him and go."
"Hwa- I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"
"Just off." Junghwa glared at her brother venomously. Namjoon immediately took a startled Jungkook out of the room, followed by an equally stunned Taehyung and Hoseok. Yoongi was now left alone with Junghwa in her room.

Taking a seat on the bed beside her, Yoongi looked at Junghwa, who was firmly avoiding him.

"Junghwa-" He began, taking her hand into his, but she pushed it away, glaring at the wall as hot tears pierced her eyes.

"Why are you still here?" She hissed. "Why do you still want to be friends with the druggie?"
"I don't want to." He said curtly, and it hurt like hell to know that he felt the same way. She glared at the wall more fiercely now, biting her lip to hold in the angry sobs that were dancing on the tip of her tongue.

"I don't want to be friends with the druggie." He said more softly now. "I want to be friends with the real person inside you."
"But this is how I really am." Her voice broke as she sniffled. "A drug addict."
"No, I know the real you." He cupped her face in his hands, before shaking his head. "The real you was the one that jumped into the pool fully clothed, the one that made everyone else eat mayonnaise doughnuts and made up for it with brownies, the one who stood up for me when people thought I was intimidating and helped me make new friends."
"Shut it, Yoongi-" Junghwa's head fell forward as she forced back a strangled cry. "Don't say anymore."

Yoongi gently brought her head to his shoulder, allowing her to lean her forehead against it. He patted her head gently, before whispering into her ear, "I don't have to."


“Will I be speaking to all of you?” Dr. Yeo looked up at the five boys curiously.

“You have to understand, doctor.” Yoongi began. “We don’t like leaving our friends on their own at times like these.”
“Fair enough. Have a seat, then. Let me ask someone to bring in extra chairs.”
“It’s okay, we’ll stand.” Hoseok nodded firmly. Dr. Yeo looked at them dejectedly as Jungkook and Taehyung took to sitting down, while the other three stood on either sides of the doctor’s room.

“Alright, so as you all know, I’m a psychiatrist.” She nodded slowly. “Now, the reason I’ve wanted to speak to you was because I want to know more about Junghwa’s… history.”
“Okay.” Jungkook nodded, his voice reluctant but his eyes showing his will to cooperate.

“So, Junghwa is your twin sister, and you both live together, right?”
“Yes.” Jungkook nodded. “She moved here this September, shortly after my mother passed.”
"I'm sorry to hear that, Jungkook."
"Isn't everyone?" Jungkook sighed, and the whole room was awkwardly silent as everyone looked at Jungkook with concern. After the silence began to get to them, Dr. Yeo cleared , bringing everyone's attention to herself.

“Alright. So, Jungkook,” She began. “What can you tell me about Junghwa’s history with drug abuse?”
“I- I, uh-” Jungkook struggled to speak, his voice failing him.
“May I speak on his behalf?”

Taehyung asked politely. The doctor slowly nodded. Taehyung looked at Jungkook, who gave him a nod of assent.

“Junghwa has been doing drugs for a while now, from what we’ve heard.” He began. “I was aware of her taking Xanax, but I thought that it was under medication, and I wasn’t allowed to ask about it further.”
“Alright-” Dr. Yeo scribbled onto a piece of paper, before looking at them again. “The rest of you, were any of you aware of Junghwa’s Xanax intake?”
“No, she was very careful around us.” Yoongi spoke up. “We only found out today, while she had her seizure in the morning.”
“Okay.” She nodded slowly. “Does she have a history of drugs prior to Xanax?”
“Yes.”

Jungkook spoke stiffly. Everyone registered the sudden change in Jungkook’s expression, and looked at each other nervously. The doctor, who was momentarily taken aback by the sudden hostility in his voice, reassumed her professional front and looked at him curiously.

“Would you like to tell me more about that, Jungkook?” She asked tentatively.
“, for which she got expelled from school when she was fifteen. Alcohol at sixteen, after which she got into a bad encounter with LSD and came home screaming bloody murder. Age seventeen, she got addicted to and OD’ed.”
“So she’s only actually done , LSD, and Xanax, am I right?”
“Are you kidding me?” Jungkook scoffed. “That isn’t even half of what that girl’s done.”

Dr. Yeo looked at Jungkook, unable to hide the surprise on her face.

“Can you elaborate, Jungkook?”
“Oh, let me see,” He mused, but it was obvious that he was being sarcastic. “, cigarettes, , Quaaludes, Xanax, LSD, ecstasy, heroin and meth, to name some of them.”

Everyone looked at Jungkook in surprise. They didn’t expect Jungkook to be that angry enough to throw his sister under the bus like that – heck, they didn’t even expect Junghwa to be capable of doing drugs to this extent.

“Are you aware as to why she might have been addicted to drugs for the past three years?”

Jungkook’s hard look softened, as he looked down at his lap, before letting out a heavy sigh.

“She’s always been… lonely.” He avoided Dr. Yeo’s gaze as he spoke. “Ever since she was young… the friends she tried to make always ended up hurting her, and she found solace in drugs. She’s never had friends – in fact, these guys are some of the first friends she’s ever had since junior high.”

Jungkook looked at his friends, giving them a grateful smile. His eyes lingered on Yoongi, before he looked back at the doctor.

“While I spoke to Junghwa earlier, she told me that she’s been taking alprazolam from August, under what was initially a prescription for her anxiety attacks.” Dr. Yeo looked at him again. “Were you aware of this?”
“Yes. After our mother passed away in August, she’d been having frequent nightmares and anxiety episodes, after which my father had decided to take her to a doctor to help her with that. He prescribed Xanax for her.” Jungkook said silently. “Then he passed away in October, I think that’s when her dependency on it increased.”
“So, her initial need for alprazolam was due to emotional trauma from your parent’s death?”
“Yes. They were involved in an accident when my mother died. The nightmares wouldn't stop for nights on end, so our father took her to a psychiatrist back in America.” Jungkook nodded. “She was on the medication for three weeks. I don’t remember her being asked to take more.”
“Are you aware that alprazolam is addictive, Jungkook?”

She arched her eyebrows, her demeanour suddenly shedding off the concern she had for Jungkook and for Junghwa.

“Yes, doctor, I’m aware.” Jungkook arched his eyebrows back at her.
“And you were living in the same house for weeks and you didn’t notice anything amiss about her behaviour?” The doctor looked at him incredulously.
“No, we didn’t.” Jungkook growled. “What are you trying to imply, doctor?”

The words sounded like venom as they left his mouth. The doctor had noticed the other four boys stand up straighter, their smiles waning as they gave her serious looks, their postures giving off a vibe of faint but clearly evident hostility.

“She behaved exactly the way she did when we first met her.” Hoseok glared at the doctor. “Everyone else in this room will agree, and I know more than two other people who’d agree to that.”
“Rather than behaving,” Namjoon added, struggling to suppress the rage in his voice. “I think she was very careful around us, and her appearance hadn’t given us impressions of insomnia, or substance abuse or anything of the sort.”
“Plus, she really did seem to be much better,” Jungkook added stiffly. “I think I’d know my sister better than you would, Dr. Yeo. I’m not speaking crap when I say that there was nothing evident in her behaviour, nor did anything seem amiss.”
“Yoongi can vouch for that.” Taehyung growled, motioning towards him. “He’s closer to her than we are.”

The doctor looked at Yoongi, her eyebrows cocked up in a disbelieving expression.

“Doctor, we’ve known her longer than you.” Yoongi spoke in a low voice. “If you’re insinuating the fact that we let her take Xanax while knowing about its addictive nature, you’ve got another thing coming.”

The dangerous tone in Yoongi’s voice told her that he wasn’t someone to be messed around with. The doctor slowly nodded, writing down notes once more.

“I’m going to have to send her for rehab, I hope you’re aware of that-”
“No.” Jungkook stood up abruptly. “Not rehab.”
“Jungkook-”
“Rehab won’t do her any good. She’ll never change.” He shook his head firmly. “Can’t you do something else? Isolating her from all of us, it won’t do her anything but bad. Three rehab sessions, doctor… she hates them.”
“This is to help her.”
“And this will not help her!” He spoke through gritted teeth. “Believe me, doctor, my sister has been through enough without another rehab session to her up for good.”

There was a heavy silence in the room, as the doctor absorbed the words, looking at her patient’s brother emotionlessly.

Jungkook leaned over the table, looking at her desperately.

“Dr. Yeo, I’m begging you.” Jungkook spoke quietly. “Don’t send my sister to rehab. It’ll ruin her, and my siblings and myself- we don’t want that for Junghwa.”

Dr. Yeo looked at the pleading look in the young boy’s eyes, and let out a resigned sigh.

“Fine. No rehab.” She looked at him. “But I’m putting her in for a weekend session for me, for a few months, until I can be completely sure she’s in the clean. Alright?”

Jungkook opened his mouth again, but Taehyung nudged him, before shaking his head. Swallowing his pride, Jungkook slowly nodded.

"Okay."


Monday, 3rd November 2014

“Don’t you worry, Junghwa.”

A voice had snapped Junghwa out of her reverie. She looked up at the nurse, who was smiling at her kindly. She placed the tray of medicines on the side table, before patting the young girl’s head.

“You’ll get through this, dear.” The nurse said reassuringly.
“…Will I?” She whispered, looking up at her nervously.

“Count on it, honey.” The nurse smiled. “I know a strong girl when I see one.”
“I’m not strong, nurse-ssi.” Junghwa scoffed. “Drugs for more than three years straight… I’m surprised you’re not  showing the slightest bit of revulsion already.”
“Junghwa, I’ve dealt with people doing substance abuse for the past five years.” The nurse smiled wryly. “A lot of them had already given up on themselves – and they certainly didn’t have many friends to help them through it either.”

Junghwa looked at the floor, avoiding her gaze.

“I know you can do it.” The nurse smiled again. “I know a fighter when I see one. My daughter has a similar story to yours, and she was just like you, with brown curly hair and a smile that would make everyone turn their heads. And she also used to do drugs like you did.”

The nurse smiled at Junghwa sadly as her eyes widened with surprise.

“She was a fighter, Jiwon was. She never gave up, and dedicated herself to rehab, though she was reluctant-” The nurse looked out the window. “But she didn’t have friends to help her get through it. Her ‘so-called’ friends had abandoned her at her time of need. She felt alone, unwanted, even though she had me and her brother.”

Junghwa looked at the nurse fearfully. She had a feeling of what was coming next.

“Of course, my daughter had lost all her will-power at one point, which was what drove her towards the top of the building that morning-”

The nurse sighed, wiping her tears away.

“I’m sorry, nurse-ssi-” Junghwa looked at her sadly.
"Don't give up, okay? I know you have a loving brother and many other friends rooting for you." She smiled at the younger girl, gently carressing her head. "Especially one auburn-haired boy, he really did seem worried about you. He even offered to stay the night in you brother's stead."

That would be Yoongi, Junghwa smiled to herself, rather wryly. The nurse patted her head again, before slowly walking out the door.

Junghwa closed her eyes, an overwhelming sadness taking over her thoughts. She bit her lip as she thought of her parents, and felt as if the nurse had it worse off than she did. No parent deserved to see their child die.  

Almost immediately, the door opened again, and in came Jungkook. Junghwa immediately looked away.

"Hwa." Jungkook began, sighing heavily as she glared at the floor, avoiding his presence in the hospital room like the plague.

“Junghwa, look at me-”
"You didn't have to say it like that." She hissed. "You didn't have to say that in front of everyone."
"It's because I was worried about you- Oh, Junghwa, don't ignore me, I'm sorry I said all the I did."
"Sorry? Sorry?!" She said incredulously. "Jungkook, I came back to Korea to actually try starting over, despite my Xanax addiction, and you just ruined my chance of making new friends for once in these past four years."

She sighed, sinking back into her pillow. Jungkook sat down next to her, slowly taking her hand in his. Thankfully, she didn’t push him away.

“Hwa- you have us. Me, Taehyung, Yoongi, Joon, Hoseok, Jimin, Jin… we’re all here for you, you hear?”

Junghwa sighed, nodding slowly as she looked at him.

"Thanks, Kookie. But now I'm going to have to do stupid rehab again."
"Actually, no you don't." Jungkook shook his head. "I managed to persuade your psychiatrist and exempt you from it."
“Did you now?” Junghwa gasped, and Jungkook could sense the happiness in her voice at not having to go for rehab.

“Yep… told her some stuff, managed to have her change her mind.” He winked. “However, I have my own way of keeping you from mischief.”
“You don’t trust me anymore, do you?” She smiled wryly.
“Nope. Which is why I'm putting Yoongi in charge of you." He pointed his finger at her.
“What? Why him?!”
"Why not him?" He shrugged. "Yoongi knows how to keep you in check anyway, and plus, you're closer to him than everyone else."
“But-”
"No buts.” Jungkook rolled his eyes. “And Hwa, for his sake, please don't screw up. That guy already feels like he isn't very successful in things he does, anyway."

Junghwa gave him a defeated look, and slowly nodded.

"I know... okay." Junghwa shrugged. "I still haven't forgiven you though so don't get too excited about it."
"I didn't expect you to forgive me." Jungkook said glumly. "Jungho hyung's here, he wants to see you."
"What?! No, not oppa-"
"Too late, Junghwa."

Jungho walked into the room. Junghwa gulped. He only called her by her entire name when she was in what she liked (or did not like) to call deep .

And she was right about that. He wasn't smiling.

One plot twist and another cliffhanger.. y'all must be hating me right now! T.T Nah but hope you like it, and yay! Junghwa's okay!
Be sure to leave a comment ^^