Chapter 15.

Ephemeral

No song today... it wouldn't fit the mood of the chapter... you'll find out soon enough...


“Yoongi.”
“Yeah, what is it?” He sleepily groaned into his bag, refusing to look up at the girl sitting next to him.
“Oy! This ain’t how you treat your desk partner!”

Junghwa smacked his head, making him shout in anger. Kwon Jiae, who was sitting in front of the both of them, let out a laugh. 

“He’s always like this, isn’t he?” Jiae snickered as Yoongi sat up, grumbling loudly.
“We’ve never seen this side to you, Min.” Junhong smirked. Yoongi brushed him off, rolling his eyes, before he looked at Junghwa again.

“Sorry.” Yoongi smiled apologetically, before ruffling her hair violently.
“Yah! Stop messing up my hair!” Junghwa snapped. “!”
“Say that again.” Yoongi mock-glared at her as he tickled her mercilessly.
“Sorry, sorry!” Junghwa shouted. Yoongi gave her a triumphant smirk, as he ruffled her hair one last time.

“Jesus, get a room.” Go Hyunwoo, who was sitting next to Junhong, rolled his eyes as he spoke exasperatedly.
“What do you mean?” Yoongi arched his eyebrows, his expression intimidating enough to make the boy retract his statement.

“Oh, but seriously, the both of you are so going out.” Jiae winked at Junghwa.
“We’re not.” Junghwa rolled her eyes.
“Me and Hwa are just friends.” Yoongi crossed his arms across his chest defiantly, to which the others chorused “Denial!” immediately.

“You so like her.” Hyunwoo chorused. “You even call her by her nickname.”
“I don’t like her in a romantic way! At least, not yet anyway!” Yoongi snapped.
“What do you mean not yet?!”

Junghwa gasped, going pink at the ears. Yoongi, who was hit with the sudden realisation of what he had said, stammered out his apologies as he turned pink at the ears.  

“Not yet?! That means it’s going to happen eventually, huh?!” Junhong screeched with excitement.
“Junhong, one of these days, you’ll have your handed to you. Jesus!” Yoongi snarled as he turned a furious red. The other three laughed at the embarrassed pair mirthlessly.

As the attention on the two slowly waned, Yoongi cautiously tapped Junghwa's shoulder. 

“Mm?" She nodded slowly.
"What did you want to ask me?”
“Uh, well, this might be stupid, but... I guess I’m in the mood for a prank today.”

She looked at him, a gleam of hope in her eyes... which meant he was required to be her 'side-kick' again. He furrowed his brows together, scratching his chin as he thought hard, before he slammed the table enthusiastically. Junhong, Hyunwoo and Jiae jumped in their seats, before looking at him with a surprised expression, seeing his devious smirk. 

“Toothpaste and Oreo. Baekhyun. Done.” He gave Junghwa a devilish grin. 

The other three, who were faintly aware of Junghwa and Yoongi’s prank list, looked at him in shock.

“Byun Baekhyun?! He’s going to kill you if you mess with his Oreos!” Junhong gasped.
“Shut up. He’ll be fine, the little .” Yoongi smirked, before looking at Junghwa. “So you game?”
“Always.” Junghwa giggled.
“Can you do it on his husband as well?” Jiae snickered. Everyone else nodded eagerly. They all knew that Baekhyun’s ‘husband’ was Daehyun because they hung out a lot everyone said that they looked like a couple.

“Then let’s just play it on the kid as well.” Yoongi wiggled his brows mischievously. 
“...Taehyung is going to murder you.” Hyunwoo slowly smirked.
“Yeah, I’m so scared.” Yoongi scoffed. As they thought about how they would initiate the conversation with the three boys, Jiae suddenly cleared , bringing everyone's attention towards her. 

“Genius, where are you going to get Oreos from?” Jiae arched her eyebrows. Junghwa bit her lip; she was right, where were they going to get Oreos from? They couldn't get out of the school campus during lunch, and it was twice as hard getting back in when you got back out. 

Suddenly, Hyunwoo let out a triumphant laugh, making everyone look at him incredulously.

"What's so funny?" Junhong asked curiously.
“It so happens that I brought some with me today.” Hyunwoo brought out a large packet of the biscuit brand, sending the other four into laughter. 

“Perfect.” Junghwa smirked.


“Ah, our three victims are coincidentally in the same place.” Junghwa snickered as Daehyun, Baekhyun and Taehyung were passionately talking to each other about a new restaurant that had just opened around the corner from the street of their school.

“This is ing perfect.” Yoongi smirked. “It’s like they were destined to be pranked today.”
“Come on, let’s go.” Junghwa stood up, grabbing the packet of biscuits in her hand. Yoongi jumped up to his feet and followed her.

“Oh, these are really good, Hwa!” He grinned as he bit into one of the biscuits – he had made sure that the biscuits in their hands weren’t filled with toothpaste. They had to look convincing enough, anyway.

“I told you that American Oreos are the best!” She grinned, just as they walked past Baekhyun.
“Oreo?” He arched his eyebrows. Junghwa looked at him, and gasped.
“Oh, Baekhyun! I forgot that you liked Oreos, otherwise I’d have asked my brother to send some more over.” Junghwa smiled pitifully. “Ah, what do I do?”
“Hey, don’t worry. It’s okay.” Baekhyun smiled, although it was obvious that he was slightly disappointed.

“I know! Have some of this!” She handed him the packet. “I can always ask for more! Sorry, Yoongi, I’ll bring some more next week.”
“Aw, but I really wanted more.”
“It’s okay, Yoongi,” Taehyung smirked. “You need to lose weight anyway.”
“Hey! I’m not fat!” Yoongi smacked his head.
“Whatever.” Taehyung rolled his eyes.
“Sorry, Min, you need your energy for our first match tomorrow, and Oreo won’t help you.” Daehyun smirked.
“But, Daehyun, we’re from Gyeongsangdo, we’re supposed to be bros and stuff-” Yoongi pouted. Junghwa had to painfully dig her nails into her palm to stop herself from laughing and give the whole act away, for Yoongi was so into it, even making expressions that she thought she’d never see him do.

“Yah! I’m from Gaensangdo too, what the hell?!” Taehyung burst out in satoori.

“Aish, what the hell are you doing, kid?” Daehyun clicked his tongue in annoyance. “Sorry, Yoongi, we ain’t sharing.”
“Let’s just leave.” Yoongi rolled his eyes, as he pulled Junghwa away.

They turned around again, just in time to see the three boys bite into the biscuit. They struggled to hold in their giggles as the three boys hogged on the food. Taehyung, being the pig he was, had swallowed it completely, and was reaching out for a second one.

Their faces fell, as they chewed on the biscuit, their excitement waning almost immediately.

“I don’t like mint, you know-” Taehyung pouted.
“This is very, very weird…” Baekhyun muttered loudly, his face turning into one of disgust.
“OH MY GOD! THIS IS TOOTHPASTE!” Daehyun roared. Yoongi and Junghwa burst out laughing.
“Sorry, chief! Life’s a sometimes!” Yoongi snickered, just Daehyun tackled him angrily.

“You’re going to ing pay for that.” Daehyun snarled, mock-punching Yoongi in the head, before letting out a resigned sigh.

“Let me go, Daehyun.” Yoongi smirked. “No bullying on campus, remember?”
“I will kick you off the team!” He roared.
“We’re not on court!” Yoongi protested. “I’ll make it up to you, okay? I’ll treat you to ramen.”
“I have vocal lessons.” Baekhyun pouted.
“Well, your loss.” Taehyung snickered, ruffling Yoongi’s hair. “Come on, let’s go.”

“I heard the word treat!”

Yoongi looked back at the voice, and immediately let out an annoyed groan. Woo Jiho. The person Yoongi hated to love and loved to hate. Sort of.

“You heard wrong.” Yoongi growled.
“Aw, don’t be cruel!” Jiho snickered. “Isn’t this a good opportunity to get to know the best player on the team?”
“Don’t get so full of yourself. I can see why Daehyun’s the team captain though you've been on the team for longer.” Yoongi scoffed.
“So you’re saying I’m worse than Daehyun?” Jiho arched his eyebrows.
“I’m saying your stuck-up attitude’s the reason we’re going to lose this year.”

Yoongi scoffed again, glaring at Jiho viciously. By now, Daehyun and Junghwa were looking at each other nervously. And so were Taehyung and Baekhyun. They had only heard brief mentions of how the two disliked each other, they had never had to witness it for themselves.

“Oh. OH. You’re going there, Min Yoongi?” Jiho hissed under his breath. “Know your place, number fifteen. I’ve been on this team longer than anyone else.”
“I’m not addressing you by your shirt number though, Jiho.” Yoongi sneered. “For being on this team longer than everyone else, you sure don’t act like it.”
“Jesus! What an !” Jiho pushed him back. “Man, that freak accident you were in, I bet you were the cause of it!”

Things moved fast after that.

Within seconds, Taehyung was pinning an enraged Yoongi against the wall.

“LET ME AT HIM!” He roared, struggling in the younger boy’s strong grip. “Taehyung, let me go! Let me at that !”

Jiho stepped back, his eyes widening with shock and fear as he looked at Yoongi. It was like he had become another person, the way he struggled to get to Jiho and do him an injury. Jiho couldn’t deny that the lividness he showed was intimidating.

“Daehyun, Baekhyun, take Jiho outside!” Junghwa commanded quickly. “And don’t let him leave.”

Daehyun immediately nodded, himself and Baekhyun dragging Jiho behind him as they got away from the three friends, who were trying to calm Yoongi down.

“Yoongi, look at me.” Junghwa began.
“That , he doesn’t know -” Yoongi snapped. “Let me go, let me after him! I’ll set him straight-”
“Yoongi, stop rambling, and look at me.”

They were finding it hard to control Yoongi, who in hysterics he rambled on, trying to get out of Taehyung’s grip as he glared after Jiho.

“Let me go, Taehyung!”
“No-! Ju- calm-” Taehyung growled, the strain rendering him unable to speak.

“It’s not my fault, how dare he say that, he doesn’t know about me and he’s saying such bull-”
“Yoongi, relax-” Junghwa looked at him worriedly – it was obvious that he was beginning to panic.

“It’s not my fault, it’s not my fault-”
“Yoongi!” Junghwa snapped.

“It’s not my fault!”

Yoongi finally managed to push Taehyung away, but did not run after Jiho like they expected him to. He looked at them, his face contorted with a mixture of emotions. His head dropped, as he let out what was, to their shock, a strained cry of sadness.

“It’s my fault… it’s my fault hyung died, my fault everyone else-”

“No, Yoongi.” Junghwa said quietly, as she lifted his face to look at him. He pushed her hand away, and hung his face lower to hide his tear-stained face.

“No, Hwa, you don’t get it-” He gasped, his words getting caught in his throat as he tried to speak normally. “You just wouldn’t.”
“Come with me.”

Junghwa took his hand, and silently lead him inside one of the empty classrooms. Taehyung followed them closely – it wasn’t everyday Yoongi just broke down like that, and it worried him to no end. As they walked in, he closed the door behind him, before glancing at the two nervously. 

Junghwa sat him down on one of the desks, and lifted his face to look at him. Yoongi bit his lip as he held in his sobs forcefully, before looking down at his lap, shaking his head.

“Just, don’t- I’ll be fine-”
“Listen to me. Yoongi, it’s not your fault. It’ll never be your fault.” Junghwa whispered.
“No…” He mumbled. “If I hadn’t pointed out the window, Yoonjae hyung wouldn’t have looked, and he wouldn’t have died… she wouldn’t have died…”
“Yoongi, it’s not your fault.” Junghwa lifted his face again. “Yoongi, look at me. It was an accident, and it sure as hell wasn’t your fault.”
“Exactly.” Taehyung nodded, doing whatever he could to pull his friend out of his misery. “It’s not your fault at all. Jiho was being an when he said that, okay?”
“I- I-” His voice betrayed him, as he let out a quiet whimper.

“It’s not your fault.” She said quietly. “Okay?”
“I- I’m sorry-” His head dropped again, as he shook his head. “I- I need to go, you shouldn’t see me like this-”
“Shut up. Just let it out, Yoongi.” Junghwa spoke quietly, pulling him into a hug. “Better out than in.”
“No, Junghwa-”

Yoongi tried to wriggle himself out of Junghwa’s hold. His emotions, disallowing him to think logically, had somehow extended to his whole body which went rigid against his will. His mind screamed at him to push her away, but his arms refused to react, immobilising him.

Damn it, Yoongi, don’t be pathetic-

“Yoongi, it’s okay.” Junghwa whispered, moving so that anyone outside the classroom wouldn’t be able to see him.

“Hwa-”
“Don’t hold them in, I’ll make sure that no one sees.”

Oh no, I can’t hold it in-

As he gave up, his feelings of sadness and misery kicked in. He let out a choked sob as his arms were finally able to move. He grabbed onto the sleeves of her sweater, as he shook all over.

He pressed his face into Junghwa’s shoulder, trying to quieten the sobs that were now uncontrollably escaping his mouth. Junghwa rubbed his back soothingly, in an attempt to comfort him.

Taehyung looked away, his chest hurting with a feeling of strange sadness that was creeping upon him. The last time Yoongi lost control of his emotions like this was in middle school, after the accident. He felt a dropping sensation in his stomach as the horrible truth had revealed itself.

Yoongi had kept his sadness and frustration bottled up for three whole years. And all of that, it was coming out right now, as Yoongi cried into Junghwa’s shoulder bitterly.

It took a while for him to calm down, but when he did, he let out a shaky sigh as Junghwa rocked him back and forth.

“I’m sorry-” Yoongi said, his voice barely a whisper as he spoke.

“It’s okay.” Junghwa smiled, patting his head gently.
“Your jumper’s wet, I’m sorry-” He mumbled, looking at the damp patch of his tears on her yellow jumper. Junghwa looked at him sadly, seeing his puffy red eyes, and shook her head.

“It’s okay, just a stupid jumper.” She wiped his tears away, before giving him a gentle smile. 

“I’m sorry I lost it back there.” He whispered, before smiling at Taehyung wryly. “Thanks, Tae. I might’ve done something I’d have regretted if it weren’t for you.”

“No need to thank me.” Taehyung nodded. “How about we go and set Jiho straight, without using violence?”
“Oh, I’m not so sure about that.” Junghwa growled, but Yoongi grabbed her wrist in his, and, to their surprise, shook his head.

“It’s o-okay.” Yoongi shrugged. “I’ll- talk it out with him. I don’t see myself forgiving him anytime, but I am not letting our petty spats get in the way of our team. I’ll apologize.”

“You don’t have to. It’s about time someone put Jiho in his place.”

An angered Daehyun walked into the classroom, with a dejected Jiho behind him. Jiho looked up at Yoongi, who was looking back at him with a stony expression, and cursed inwardly, noticing the puffiness around his eyes.

“He took it that bad? …” Jiho hissed to himself, immediately overcome by a wave of shame and regret.

“He’s always been like this.” Daehyun glared at him. “He doesn’t know when to stop. See why I’m the captain and you’re not?!”
“Yeah…” Jiho mumbled, nodding slowly. After an eternity of silence, he looked up at Yoongi nervously.

“Yoongi, I’m sorry. I’m scum. No.” Jiho rolled his eyes, appalled by his own stupidity. “I’m lower than scum. I haven’t any right to say that to you, given that… my younger sister died in a car accident too. B-But I’m truly sorry.”

Everyone looked at Jiho in surprise, as he unveiled this personal piece of information about his past.

“I know you won’t forgive me. Heck, it’s probably better if you don’t.” Jiho sighed. “But I really am sorry for saying what I did earlier.”
“Ay.” Yoongi walked over to him, and looked at him silently. “I ain’t forgiving you. Not anytime soon anyway. But I think that our stupid arguments are going to come in between the team, so maybe we should stop arguing over petty things.”
“Well said.” Daehyun smiled generously.
“I- I- No, you’re right.” Jiho nodded. “I’m sorry for being a .”
“It’s alright.” Yoongi shrugged, picking up his bag. “Now about that ramen, Daehyun… I’ll treat you another day? Now’s not a good time.”
“Yeah, sure. You can treat me after we win tomorrow.” Daehyun smirked. “Jiho, let’s go.”

Daehyun and Jiho nodded, before walking out the classroom, with Jiho sending occasional worried glances towards Yoongi.

“Let’s go then.” Yoongi finally spoke up. Junghwa and Taehyung nodded slowly, following Yoongi out the door.


taetaebaby: guys!
joonnam: I thought we agreed not to use this unless there was something wrong with min
hopeah: something up?
taetaebaby: yeah min
kookie97: what happened? Hwa looked, idk, out of it when she got back home today
pinkeujin: I heard that Yoongi and Jiho got into a scuffle or something?
taetaebaby: not exactly
jiminieee: what happened
taetaebaby: jiho told him that he was the cause for the accident he was in
joonnam: no.
pinkeujin: he didn’t.
hopeah: Yoongi lost it, didn’t he?
taetaebaby: I had to hold him back, it wasn’t pretty.
kookie97: no wonder Hwa looked slightly shaken up :{
taetaebaby: that’s not all… Yoongi, um, he sorta broke down after that
joonnam: what?!
jiminieee: he took it that bad?
taetaebaby: it’s not about how bad he took it, Yoongi freaking cried
hopeah: yeah we got that
joonnam: no what he’s trying to say is that it’s like the first time in three years
pinkeujin: that’s intense…
taetaebaby: yeah, tell me about it… so I was thinkin’, we ought to cheer him up or something
hopeah: yeah he’ll need it cause it’s his first match tomorrow
taetaebaby: exactly he can’t have this bother him
pinkeujin: alright! That’s a good idea
kookie97: my place then?
joonnam: actually let’s go to his place and surprise him
kookie97: okay imma tell Hwa then
jiminieee: yeah! Let’s meet up at 8?
joonnam: okay :)


Ah, this chapter T^T this was honestly such a difficult chapter to write... ugh I need to cheer myself up with some fluff. It takes a LOT to make Min Yoongi cry... a lot. But the end sorta cheered me up a bit. But still, the pain you feel when you make your character cry #IthinkImightbefallingformyYoongi #Ijustwantoinghughimandtellhimitsokay #ilovemyowncharacterholy #ohmynamjesus #holyseok #ithinkillstopnow

Looking forward to your comments folks^^ Please don't kill me when chapter 16 comes out, because there might be more heart-wrenching moments... ugh. Love to all, and sorry again!
- Haru (P.S. I'm sowwie for the feel! Here's Yoongi to cheer you up^^ You folks, we've got forty-four people subbed to Ephemeral! Thank you, and saranghae<3)


Assumingly retarded things Jeon Junghwa will do to forget (not necessarily in the same order):
Mentor: Min Yoongi :D

  1. Randomly hug any person you meet.
  2. Get superbly drunk with someone when you’re eighteen (?)
  3. Cover someone’s car in post-it notes.
  4. Jump into a pool fully clothed.
  5. Eat samgyeopsal at 3AM.
  6. Replace cream in doughnuts with mayonnaise
  7. Replace cream in an Oreo biscuit with toothpaste.
  8. Hide in a cupboard in an Ikea store and yell ‘FOR NARNIA’ before making a run for it.
  9. Baking soda + ketchup = explosion!
  10. Onions dipped in caramel – Apples dipped in caramel prank
  11. Help anyone who needs it.
  12. Scare the out of Hoseok and Jimin (ghost in elevator prank?)
  13. Place a dummy in Jungkook's bed :3
  14. Scare Seokjin with a Sadako cosplay
  15. "Kidnap" Taehyung on his birthday
  16. Fill Namjoon's room with filled water cups.