Prologue.

Ephemeral

Prologue


After my mother died one dark, stormy night, life was so meaningless. Hollow, empty, desolate. It was as if someone had violently put out the spark of life inside me. Doused it with water and extinguished whatever expectations of life I had.

Life was amazing. Me, Mum, Dad, Jungah, Junghee, Jungkook, Jungho. Yes, it's strange that the first syllables of all of our names is Jung. But that's what brings us together I suppose.

We were a happy family.

Jungah was to start high school. Junghee had just started out in kindergarten. I still remember Mum being so proud of her for drawing a portrait of our entire family.

Jungkook, my twin brother, was studying back in Korea, under a dance scholarship. Jungho, our elder brother, was studying in Australia, pursuing his degree in English literature.

And me, Jeon Junghwa. I was seventeen, and in my final year of high school in New York.

Life was perfect.

Until the car accident over the summer.

I still remember screaming at my mother to wake up.

But she didn’t move an inch, her skin so pale. She looked so angelic, so beautiful, at that moment, and at the same time, deathly. Her eyes were closed, her lips curved into a thin smile. My father brought his hand to her wrist and pressed it with his fingers gently. And from his deafening screams that followed, from the way he violently shook her still body back and forth, from the way he screamed her name, I knew.

I knew that she was gone.

The dreams had abruptly ended. The nightmares had begun.

I looked forward to going to bed. Because it was the moment to let all the sadness and frustration come out through tears and screams muffled by the sheets I slept in.

But at the same time, I hated falling asleep. Because the dreams I would escape into, would slowly morph into nightmares. It was my sister who would always find me screaming into my pillow at around three in the morning.

Even to this day, I occasionally have these horrible flashes whilst I sleep, but they’ve reduced immensely.

Because even though she’s gone, she sent an angel to look after me in her stead.

And I honestly don’t know where I’d be if it weren’t for him.

Thank you, Yoongi.

Thank you. Thank you for believing that I could pull through this.

Thank you for being there in my darkest hour, and in my happiest moments.

Thank you for believing in me.


Hey guys :) Here's the first chapter of my story :D It's short because well, it's a prologue :p
Hope you like it anyway :) Comment and upvote and subscribe if you're curious about what's coming next *wiggles eyebrows* :3