Chapter 13.

Ephemeral

I felt that this would be the most appropriate song for this chapter, even though the song is talking about losing love in the romantic sense if-you-know-what-I-mean, but the song seemed to go with this chapter a lot, so here...


“Mom~!”

A seven-year-old Jungkook ran up to his mother, his face screwed up in a miserable expression.

Jeon Yoojin, a middle aged woman with black curly hair and traces of grey, looked at her son and gasped, immediately kneeling down as he looked at her tearfully.

“Aigoo, what’s wrong, Jungkook-ah?” She patted his head as he hugged her tightly, pouting slightly as he looked up at her worried face.

“Junghwa won the dance competition but I only got third!” He wailed. “It’s so unfair!”
“Aw, Kookie…” Yoojin immediately picked up her son. “It’s okay. You know why some people lose?”
“Why, mom?” Jungkook sniffled, though he had stopped crying. He now looked at her curiously, anticipating the words of wisdom that she always showered him and his siblings with.
“It’s because God wants them to win in bigger and better things.” She patted his head lovingly. “Because he wants them to work harder towards winning in bigger and better things.”
“Really?” Jungkook smiled with surprise. “Wow…”
“See?” Yoojin smiled kindly. “Now where’s your sister?”

Jungkook looked up at her hesitantly, twiddling his thumbs as his eyes darted back and forth nervously, looking anywhere but at her eyes. 

"Jungkook-ah, did you say something to your sister?" Yoojin lifted Jungkook's face and looked into his eyes. Jungkook relaxed, upon seeing his mother's concerned yet affectionate look in her eyes, and slowly pouted. 
“She’s in our room.” Jungkook said glumly. “I told her I hated her because she won.”
“Aw, Jungkook.” Yoojin sighed. “You have to go apologise.”
“Okay…” He mumbled, suddenly feeling guilty for telling his sister he hated her. “I’ll tell her sorry.”
“That’s my son.” Yoojin kissed his forehead and grinned. “I’ll come with you, but I’m going to wait outside, okay?”

Jungkook nodded hesitantly, as his mother put him back down and lead him upstairs, his hand tightly wrapped around her finger as he figured out what to say to Junghwa. As soon as they got to his room, he let go of his mother’s hand, and slowly opened the door.

Junghwa was sitting on her bed with a trophy in her hands, while in front of her, lay a packet of chocolates; the contents were strewn across the bed. Upon hearing the door open, she looked up. Jungkook, seeing her tear-stained face, felt a wave of regret wash over him, despite being only seven. The intensity of the emotion hit Jungkook so hard, he immediately walked over to her, and sat down on her bed.

“Hwa, I’m sorry.” He mumbled quietly. “I don’t hate you.”
“Really?” She said, her voice cracking.
“Really.” Jungkook smiled. “You’re my sister. I could never hate you, Hwa.”
"I'm glad." Junghwa smiled broadly, holding her hands out. "Hug it out?"
"Okay." Jungkook nodded, jumping towards her as he pulled her into a tight embrace. Yoojin smiled as her twins hugged out their dispute, and slowly walked in. Jungkook turned around, and beamed at his mother.
"Look, Mom! We made up!"

Jungkook held up their hands, which were connected with both of their little fingers. Something that only the twin siblings did. 

"I'm proud of you, Jungkook-ah." Yoojin smiled kindly as she sat down on the bed next to them. "And I'm proud of you too, Junghwa."
"Why?" Junghwa blinked, completely forgetting about her victory over her brother. 
"Well, one, because you won such an important competition-" Yoojin put her arms around their shoulders as she sat in between them. "And two, because you forgave your brother, when you could've easily chosen to give him the silent treatment."
"But I wouldn't want to give him the silent treatment." Junghwa shook her head. 
"That's what makes you a wonderful sister." Their mother smiled as she held them close to her. 
“Okay.” Junghwa broke into a wide smile. “Hey, I got chocolates as a part of the prize! Mom, Kookie, you want some?”
“Yeah!” Jungkook grinned.
“Good! I’m only sharing them with you and Mom!” Junghwa smiled widely.
"Wouldn't Jungho and Jungah be sad?" Yoojin pouted at her daughter. 
"It's just today, Mom? I'll make it up to them!" Junghwa pleaded. "Plus, this is our reward for taking part in the competition!"
"Okay, just this once." Yoojin chuckled. 
“And don’t worry, Kookie! I’m sure you’re going to do well in dancing, and one day, we’ll be equally good!”

Jungkook grinned at his sister’s attempts to console him.

In fact, she’d always been consoling him whenever he felt down.

Even though he was considerably closer to Jungah, like Junghwa was closer to Jungho, and they shared secrets that the other siblings didn't even hear of, Junghwa was the one who knew exactly how he felt during his low moments, and she knew exactly what to say to make him feel better. 

She'd always been consoling him whenever he felt down.

So he didn’t know what to do when his sister broke down on the day of their mother’s funeral.

He walked into her room, his eyes filled with worry as he saw her sitting on the ledge of the window. She was looking outside the window emotionlessly, as night began to fall.

“Hey.” She murmured. A seventeen-year-old Jungkook walked up to her, and stood in front of her, looking up at the dark sky.
“What are you looking at?”
“The stars.” She murmured. The sky was slowly beginning to disappear under the mass of grey, ominous clouds that foreshadowed rain. “Mom’s going to join ‘em up there.”
“I know.” Jungkook nodded. “She’s going to be in a better place though.”
“Yeah, I know-” Junghwa stammered, her strong front breaking. “I know.”

Jungkook immediately pulled her into a tight hug. As the thunder clapped violently outside, Junghwa let out a quiet sob. She wrenched her eyes shut as the hot tears appeared, spilling down her cheeks.

“I miss her-”
“I know, Hwa.” Jungkook mumbled quietly. “I do, too.”
“Unnie?”

Jungkook turned a little to look at his younger sisters Jungah and Junghee. Both of their eyes were red and puffy. Jungah quickly walked over to Jungkook, with Junghee in her hands.

“Unnie, don’t cry-” Jungah began, herself tearing up in the process of consoling her older sister. “Unnie, it’ll be okay-”

Jungah let out a defeated sigh, allowing herself to cry silently as she patted her sister’s shoulder.

“It’s not okay.” Junghwa sobbed uncontrollably. “It’s all my fault, just maybe if I had never-”

Junghee burst into tears, seeing her sisters so miserable.

“Hwa unnie, don’t cry-!” Junghee stammered, wiping her eyes fiercely. “Please, you’re making me sad too.”
“Hey, come here.” Jungkook immediately pulled his sisters into a reassuring embrace, feeling his strong front slowly breaking as well. He blinked back his tears as all of them cried uncontrollably. He had to support his sisters. He needed to be strong for them.

The rain finally began to fall. 

“Hey, Dad’s not home tonight, he has some paperwork to do- guys?” Jungho walked into the room, and blinked in surprise at seeing his siblings in a packed group hug.
“Hey-” He began, walking up to them.
“Oppa-” Junghwa looked up at him tearfully. “I’m sorry, I let you all down-”
“Shut up, Hwa.” Jungho muttered. “Stop blaming yourself, it’s not your fault. It never was.”

Jungho immediately joined the group hug, sighing angrily.

“You really think Mom would’ve liked hearing you blame yourself?” Jungho hissed. “Don’t, Hwa. Dad doesn’t blame you. Jung doesn’t. Kookie doesn’t. Junghee doesn’t. And I don’t either.”

Jungho looked at all of them, more sadly now as his eyes glistening with tears.

“Listen. No matter what has happened, no matter what you’ve done… we still love you, Hwa. We’re always here for you. Even Mom. She’ll keep watching you, even from above.”
“Oppa, don’t cry.” Junghwa looked at him tearfully, wiping his tears away.
“It’s okay, Hwa.” Jungkook murmured, looking her in the eye. “Just let it out.”

The rain outside had become heavier, the gentle droplets of rain now morphing into heavy gobules as they slammed against the concrete walkway and the window sill. A sudden chill went through everyone as the cold wind blew through the small gap the window had left. 

Junghwa wrenched her eyes shut, allowing the tears to flow down her cheeks. Jungkook sighed heavily, when he felt something tug at his little finger. He looked down. Junghwa was holding his little finger with hers.

Unable to hold himself back, Jungkook allowed his tears to fall too, giving his sister's little finger a gentle squeeze.

As the five siblings cried together, Junghwa returned the gesture, giving Jungkook a tearful smile. A smile that gave hope for the future. 


Junghwa opened her eyes, and looked around. She realised that she was in her brother’s room. How come?

She remembered the incident from last night, and sat up, looking around groggily. She ran her fingers through her hair as she looked up at the clock. 9 AM.

“Ah, it’s Saturday!” Junghwa jumped up and rushed outside her room, not caring about her appearance in the least, since her brother had seen her at her worst before.

“You’re finally awake!” Jungkook grinned widely as she walked into the kitchen. “I made breakfast for once!”
“Oh, that’s good.” Junghwa grinned. She was tired of eating from the nearby food stall every single day, so having homemade food was a treat for her. She sat down at the table, and grinned at the bowl of fluffy scrambled eggs.

“Woah, Jungkook, Jungho oppa taught you well, didn’t he?” Junghwa grinned happily, and proceeded to take some on her plate, when he slapped her hand aside.
“Not so fast, Hwa.” He smirked. “Did you brush your teeth?”
“Uh, of course.” She lied, but failed miserably, as he dragged her up to her feet.
“Still the same old Junghwa I left back in America three years ago.” Jungkook pushed her towards the bathroom.

Junghwa grumbled and rushed to brush her teeth. Without even bothering to brush her hair, she rushed back towards the kitchen, when she bumped into someone in the doorway.

“Jesus Chr- Yoongi, why are you here?!” Junghwa gasped, as he turned around, looking down at her with a stunned expression on his face. She immediately turned pink, and regretted not freshening up in the bathroom in her hurry to try out her brother’s cooking.

“I just dropped by.” Yoongi shrugged. “Interesting hairdo.”
“ you.” She grumbled, frantically trying to fix her hair. He looked at her in amusement as she tried to untangle the knots in it.
“You have wavy hair.” He suddenly murmured.
“, you weren’t supposed to see that!” Junghwa grumbled, immediately tying her hair up into a messy bun. She sat down at the table, pouting at her plate angrily.
“Idiot.” Jungkook sniggered, bringing an extra plate. “Yoongi, have you eaten yet?”
“Nope.” He shook his head, sitting down at the table.
“Here.” Jungkook held out the plate towards the older male. “Help yourself.”
“Yes, ahjumma.” Yoongi stuck his tongue out, and helped himself to some of the food on the table.

“It’s good.” Junghwa smiled at Jungkook.
“You don’t sound too happy about it.” Jungkook arched his eyebrows at her.
“That’s ‘cause he saw my wavy hair. Idiot!”

Junghwa smacked Yoongi on the head, glaring at him.

“Yah!” He clicked his tongue angrily.
“Well, maybe you should stop straightening it every single morning!” Jungkook rolled his eyes.
“You straighten it in the morning?” Yoongi looked at her curiously. “You get the time for that?”
“Yeah, so?” Junghwa turned red with embarrassment. “Don’t look at me like that!”
“Jesus, just like my sister.” Yoongi muttered “Until she had a bad hair experience.”
“She straightened her hair too?”
“Yeah, she was always using that flat iron.” Yoongi rolled his eyes as he put some food in his mouth. “And then she had a bad hair fall problem. Oh, mom got so pissed off at her.”
“What? That happens?!”
“Yeah, if you use it continuously. She used it for a year.” Yoongi shrugged. “How long have you been doing this?”
“Only since I got here.” Junghwa shrugged.
“She’s scared people here are going to judge her for her wavy hair.”
“Jungkook!” Junghwa snapped at him. “Shut up!”
“Well, them.” Yoongi looked at her incredulously. “Since when have you been giving s about people who put you down?”
“I- that is-”

Junghwa screwed up her face as she tried to talk back to that. But she couldn’t. She looked at him angrily, her silence giving away her defeated resolve.

“Just don’t. You look nice anyway.”

Junghwa blinked. Did he just say that? That she looked nice?

Yoongi, too, had realised what had come out of his mouth, and immediately looked down at his plate, the tips of his ears turning red with embarrassment.

“Ha! You’re so red!” Jungkook chortled. “Well, at least you shut her up.”
“Ugh.” Junghwa rolled her eyes, doing her best to conceal her embarrassment.
“Don’t you have work, Yoongi?” Jungkook asked curiously.
“Yeah. I gotta go down to the garage today.” Yoongi ruffled his own hair sleepily. “My boss promised a raise if I fix something that’s been bothering our mechanics for a while.”
“You work at a garage?” Junghwa arched her eyebrows in surprise.
“Yeah. Morning shifts, 4:30 AM to 6 AM.” Yoongi shrugged. “Wanna come?”
“Hell yes!” Junghwa jumped up from her seat. “Wait for me, okay?!”

Yoongi looked after her in shock as she rushed out of the kitchen, without even bothering to finish her slice of toast.

“I was only kidding…”
“You should know that the only thing that takes away my sister from her food is a garage.” Jungkook rolled his eyes.
“She likes cars? Didn’t seem like that type of girl.” Yoongi let out a bemused chuckle.
“Oh, Junghwa is very surprising.” Jungkook smirked. “She’s a motor head, she used to work at a friend’s garage in America. She’s a black belt in karate. She knows how to crump and pop better than I do. And… she adores metal.”
“Are you freaking serious?”
“Yep. Junghwa’s not like your ordinary eighteen year old girl.” Jungkook sniggered. “Oh, she likes hip-hop as well. There's an artist called Mobb Deep, and she freaking adores them.”
“Mobb Deep?” Yoongi’s eyes widened. "But that's-"
"Yeah, the same hip-hop group whose song you used for your mixtape, yes." Jungkook rolled his eyes. 
"Ssh!" Yoongi hissed. "Don't talk about that!" 
"Why? Don't want Junghwa to know who the notorious Suga is?" Jungkook smirked. 
"I'll do you an injury." Yoongi gritted his teeth.
"S-U-G-A a.k.a Agast D, that's my second name~" Jungkook chortled. Yoongi lashed out at him, only missing Jungkook's cheek by a mere few inches.

"Anyway." Yoongi mumbled. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier? That Junghwa liked hip-hop? It would’ve have been easier to be friends with her!”
“Please. You’re saying it as if you had a hard time.” Jungkook shot back. arching his eyebrows.
“Well- I, that’s-”

Yoongi turned pink as he fumbled with his words. Jungkook chortled, leaning over the table to ruffle his hair. 

“Shut up. And calm down, geez. Seokjin would ing kiss you, that’s how pink your face is right now.”
“Oh, let’s go, Yoongi!”

Junghwa rushed back into the kitchen, wearing torn jeans, a crop top and a black hoodie over it. She looked at his surprised expression, and looked at him in confusion.

“Something up?”
“Just telling Yoongi how you love cars.” Jungkook lied effortlessly. Junghwa shrugged, tapping Yoongi’s shoulder impatiently.
“Let’s gooooooooo~!” She wailed. “I haven’t been to a garage in ages!”
“Woah, chill!” He stood up, smacking her head lightly. “Let’s go.”
“Motionless Min.” Junghwa muttered as he slowly took his plate and put it in the sink.
“That’s the best one yet.” Jungkook snorted. “After all the nicknames we’ve given him-”
“OKAY, LET’S GO.” Yoongi began pushing Junghwa towards the door. “Later, Jungkook.”
“Bye, Kookie!” Junghwa grinned. “Take your medicine on time!”
“Whatever.” Jungkook chuckled, looking at the pair through the open counter of the kitchen. They bickered their way to the front door. As soon as they walked outside, closing the door behind them, Jungkook immediately brought his phone out, opening his KakaoTalk conversation with the other five boys.

kookie97: guys -.-
joonnam: ok what happened with min?
kookie97: geez, nothing's wrong -.-
taetaebaby: then y u message us here, go back on the group chat with the other two
kookie97: guess who left the house together
hopeah: wait, what?
joonnam: NO.
jiminieee: really?
kookie97: yes -_-
pinkeujin: NO WAY
kookie97: you ship my sister and Yoongi way too hard -.-‘
joonnam: cause they are adorable
hopeah: I’LL SAY
taetaebaby: how about no >.>
kookie97: thank you Taehyung, i shouldn't be even giving you 'updates' like this!
jiminieee: shut up Taehyung you’re an idiot and you’re still seventeen so shush
joonnam: come on Kookie, you get free ramen every week you can't complain
taetaebaby: yah, Jimin, so are you :P
jiminieee: not for long
joonnam: WE ARE SWERVING AWAY FROM THE TOPIC AT HAND
pinkeujin: have you noticed how min’s always happy around her?
hopeah: and how he’s talking so much more instead of his one-word replies?
taetaebaby: guys we’re forgetting something
kookie97: what?
taetaebaby: well yoongi’s heart, I think, is still scarred by his past
hopeah: he’s right, so we don’t know if YoonHwa will happen
joonnam: they have a ship name now
jiminieee: OF COURSE THEY DO
hopeah: anyway will they happen, or will they
kookie97: WILL YOU PLEASE STOP THIS IS AWKWARD
joonnam: why o.O
kookie97: MY SISTER AIN’T GETTING A BOYFRIEND BEFORE I GET A GIRL
pinkeujin: what’s holding you back then? Go after May :P
kookie97: what no why her what
taetaebaby: OH I SEE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT HER IN CLASS

kookie97 is offline.

hopeah: I KNEW IT.
jiminieee: MAYKOOK IS REAL

taetaebaby is offline.

hopeah: where’d he go O.o

As Taehyung locked his phone, his mother patted his head and smiled kindly.

“Thank you, Taehyung. You know how your father hates phones at the table.”
"Sorry, Mom. It was something about Yoongi, you know I'd never message at the table unless it were urgent." Taehyung smiled. His mother nodded in understanding, smiling apologetically. 
"How is he, Taehyung?" Mrs. Kim asked as she placed breakfast on the table. "I haven't heard from Yoongi in so long!"
"He's good. I'll ask him to drop by one day." 
"Who's Yoongi?" Taeyeon arched her eyebrows. 
"It's Yoongi oppa to you." Taehyung chuckled. "And he's my friend from middle school. Don't you remember him, he came over once! Wait, I'll show you a picture."
"I want to see a picture too!" Mrs. Kim chuckled. Taehyung rolled his eyes as he disappeared out of the kitchen. He came back with a red book in his hand. 

"You use that?!" Taeyeon squealed upon seeing the red photobook that she'd made for her brother. 
"Of course I do." Taehyung smirked, opening the book, going past a few pages before he stopped at one particular page. 

(A/N: tbh this is just an excuse for pic spam I'M SORRY I HAD TO)

   
  
      
 
  

"Ah, now I remember." Taeyeon grinned. "That one with the red hair, I took that picture."
"Yeah, ." Taehyung snickered. "Everyone was surprised that he freaking smiled for it-"
"Taehyung!"

Mrs. Kim reprimanded him as she pinched his ear. Taehyung winced, shouting out apologies as she slowly began to twist it. 

"That'll teach you to cuss in front of me!" Mrs. Kim smiled triumphantly as Taehyung painfully held his ear. 
"Ah, who took these pictures?" Taewon, Taehyung's sixteen year old brother walked up to them. 
"Of course, we did." Taehyung shook hs head disapprovingly. "Who else?"
"I don't know, that girl on the lock screen of your phone? Who is she, your girlfriend?"

Taewon shot back, giving his brother a triumphant grin as the older boy shook his head, his cheeks flushed with embarassment. 

"That's just a good friend." Taehyung chuckled nervously, holding out his phone; his lock screen was a picture of him, Junghwa and Yoongi. 
"Woah, look at this."

Taewon held his palm above his brother's phone, covering Taehyung's face.

"They look good, Yoongi hyung and this girl."
"Yeah!" Taeyeon nodded at Taewon enthusiastically. "You think so too, right, Taehyung oppa?" 

Taehyung looked at his sister, forcing a smile across his lips. 

"Yep." He nodded. "They do."

As soon as Mr. Kim appeared at the doorway, Taehyung tucked his phone away into his pocket, his mind racing between the conversation on KakaoTalk and what his siblings had said. 

Why was he feeling so uneasy?


Happy birthday, Yoongi! I hope you have a wonderful day <3
And I hope you folks like this update...? O:) 
I ended with suspense! I'm going to make my English teacher proud! 
Check out 
너 지금 위험해 || You're In Danger Right Now by one of my best friends, HeadToToesLove, my fellow partner in all things Bangtan and eternal Yoongi/Chimchim bias :D Have an awesome day, y'all! #

- Haru (P.S. loving this group pic right here! <3)