The Big Move

Am I Dreaming?
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kim So-Ra’s Perspective

I opened my eyes and saw the morning light streaming into my bedroom with the odd raindrop trickling down the outside of my window.

“Great! Another wet and miserable day!” I thought to myself as I stretched and rolled around in my bed. It wasn’t surprising to wake up to this kind of weather even during the summer months. That’s just a bonus that comes with living in Northern Ireland. It was 7:00am and it was soon time to get up. I didn’t like getting up, especially near the end of the school year. I kind of lose the will to live as I feel like I just want to crawl into a corner and cry. But no! I only had a few weeks left and then my school life here is finished.  You see, after I graduate from high school here in Northern Ireland me and my family is moving back to Korea. My parents are Koreans through and through and so are all my relatives, so I guess it’s going to be nice to back to where I am originally from and be able to actually see my relatives again after such a long time.

“WAKE UP NOONA! BREAKFAST IS READY!” my brother shouted from the kitchen downstairs. I seriously think he has lungs twice the size as mine. One of these days our house is going to collapse from the vibrations of his shouting. Just kidding, I might have over exaggerated just a little but I’m sure you understand what I mean (LOL).

“OKAY! I’LL BE RIGHT THERE!” I yelled as I lazily slid out of my bed.

I made my way to my bathroom and had a quick shower, washed my face and brushed my teeth. I am proud to say that I am actually quite quick at getting ready unlike my friend Chloe who could literally take nearly two hours! But enough said, if I don’t stop talking I will never be ready for school at this rate. I wrapped myself in a towel and made my way back into my room where I got my uniform out of my wardrobe. I applied some lotion on my legs and then put on my uniform.  As for make-up, I like to keep it natural. A little concealer, eyeliner, mascara and blush. I tied my hair up into a messy bun before spraying some of my favourite perfume. I quickly went to pick up my book bag at my desk and then made my way down stairs to the kitchen where I could smell the aroma of food in the air.

 This is what my school uniform looks like.

“Good morning eomma! Good morning appa!” I said as I walked into the kitchen and sat at the table. “Where’s Hyuk-Jin?”

“Oh, he’s talking to your sister on Skype.” My mum said and I made my way over to the corner of the room where he was sitting with the laptop on his lap. I have an older sister who is infact 6 years older than me, so that makes her 24 years old. Why do we talk to her on Skype you ask? Well, my sister actually now lives in Hong Kong. So I am also able to speak some Cantonese and Mandarin. I’m not totally fluent but I am able to keep a conversation going.

“Annyong eonni!” I said as I waved at her through the computer screen.

“So-Ra! I miss you!” She said as she waved back. “How’s school going?”

“Fine, I love it!” I answered with a hint of sarcasm.

We continued to speak for a few minutes before I realized the time. It was 8:00am! “Oh my eonni! I got to!” I shouted as I had begun to make my way to the kitchen to at least eat the bowl of rice that was set out for me. I haven’t been able to speak to my older sister as much lately. I really do miss her since she moved out to Hong Kong about two years ago. It’s also a good thing to keep speaking Korean from time to time even though it’s the only language which is used inside my house, except when have guests of course. Then we have to speak English. But we are all fluent anyway so it’s okay.

I ra

Please log in to read the full chapter