Chapter 8

The Chasing Game

“So you gonna start talking to Jiyong again?” Bom asked, she was at the bar while Chaerin was bartending.

 

“What?”

 

“You know, the rumor’s cleared up now and everything. So why don’t you start and talk to him again?” Bom said, taking a sip of her cocktail.

 

“Why would I?”

 

“Oh come on, Chaerin-ah. I know you like him.”

 

“What? Where’d you get that from? I mean, we’re not even friends or anything…” she said, suddenly getting defensive.

 

“You don’t have to be friends for you to like him.”

 

“Well, you’re wrong unnie. I don’t like him.”

 

“Really then? So why were you so worried when you heard he was practically carried by Youngbae to the clinic because of his ankle? Why did you try using me and Seunghyun to know whether he was fine or not? Why were you so affected when you learned that Jiyong and Sohee had a relationship? Why were you so hung up and depressed when Sohee told you that fake about him being violent and all? Why were you--?“

 

“Okay fine! I get it! Maybe I care about him. Doesn’t mean I like him.”

 

“Fine Chae. Think what you want but we both know what it really is.” Bom said drinking the rest of her cocktail in one shot.

 

 

“A glass of vodka.”

 

“Coming right—“ she stared at him as if he’s some ghost. “up”

 

“Hey.” He said without smiling.

 

“H-hey.” She said, suddenly getting nervous and shy. She removed her eyes from him but as soon as she did, she stepped on something slimy and almost slipped face first if not for the hands that grabbed on to her arms and stopped her fall.

 

“Be careful. I don’t want you getting hurt.” He said looking straight into her eyes. Everything felt like it’s in slow motion.

 

They should’ve been body to body now if not for the counter separating them.

 

“Thanks…” she said, standing up straight, putting a glass in front of him then putting vodka in it.

 

“Anything for you.” He took the drink “Oh and hi Bom noona. Thank you again for what you did.” Then he walked away.

 

“Oh my God the tension!” Bom said fanning herself using her hand.

 

 

“Well that was fast.” Youngbae said as Jiyong sat down beside him.

 

“Ordering a drink doesn’t take too long.” He said taking a sip of his drink.

 

“You know I wasn’t talking about that.”

 

“I know.” He said, smiling sadly.

 

“Sooo? What happened hyung?” Seungri the ever so active and eavesdropper maknae asked.

 

“Why are you listening to us?” Jiyong asked, trying to sound angry.

 

“Oh please, hyung. We all know.”

 

Jiyong looked at all of them and saw them with expecting eyes.

 

“Fine. I didn’t talk to her about it.”

 

“What? Why?!” TOP asked exasperated.

 

“Why are you getting too worked up about this?” Jiyong asked with an eyebrow raised.

 

“Because Bom was all up on me about it. I mean, they worked real hard to get the truth out and clear out your name to the whole school, you know?”

 

“Yeah hyung. Minzy told me about what they did and it was pretty bad . I wish we were there and saw it.” Daesung added.

 

The two couples have been getting pretty close in the past week. They’ve been meeting up and getting to know each other, then the issue with Jiyong happened.

 

“Yeah. I heard about it. Please thank them again for me. Anyway are you dating them?”

 

“Well, we’re getting to know each other… but that’s not the point here and don’t change the subject. Why don’t you get your back there and talk to her about it?” TOP said, already pushing the younger to stand up.

 

“What am I gonna say?! Hey I’m not a woman beater you should date me.” He said with a low voice while doing crazy hand gestures.

 

“Sure. If you want her to run the other way and never look back.” Youngbae said. “Look Ji. Just tell her it was all a lie made by Sohee. That’s it. She already knows but I think it would be better if you told her yourself.”

 

“You said it yourself, she already knows so I don’t need to—“

 

“Oh for the love of God! Go! We know you really like her and I don’t want to see you moping around anymore.” TOP said, practically carrying Jiyong to stand up and pushed him towards the direction of the bar.

 

“Wait. Bom noona’s there too. Hyung, I need you.” He said while also pulling TOP in that direction.

 

“Aish. What would you do without me huh?” The older said while fixing his suit. He didn’t show but he actually got pretty excited when he heard Bom was there.

 

“Annyeong Bomna~” Bom heard someone from behind her say. She turned around and saw two very dashing gents smiling at her.

 

“Oh annyeong Jiyong-ah, Seunghyun-ah” she said the latter with much more affection than the first to which Jiyong just chuckled.

 

“Noona, do you wanna go dance with me?” TOP said, reaching a hand out.

 

“Oh sure, just wait a sec… Pudong-ah!” Bom said over the loud music.

 

Chaerin was just finishing serving a customer then walked to where Bom was. “UNNIE! I told you not to call me that in public!”

 

“Oops, sorry Chaerin-ah, but I just wanna tell you I’ll go dance for a bit okay?”

 

“Alone? You sure?” Chaerin asked a bit concerned, she's worried about Bom dancing alone because there are a lot of s out there.

 

“I’m not alone though.” Bom said smiling and nodding her head backwards.

 

Chaerin looked behind her and saw two very familiar men. Her eyes lingering longer on one than the other.

 

And before she could say anything Bom already stood up, took TOP’s hand and started to strut towards the dance floor.

 

“Unnie!” she tried to call her back but to no success and now she was left alone with him. He sat on a stool just in front of him.

 

“So, pudong-ah?” he chuckled.

 

“Aish. Don’t call me that at school, arasseo?” She said looking directly at him.

 

“Okay, okay. Chill.” He said putting both hands up.

 

“Anything I can get you?”

 

“A glass of vodka.”

 

“I thought so. But why do you always order that?” she asked, still not preparing the drink.

 

“Because I like it.”

 

“Don’t you want to try something new? Maybe you’ll like something else more.” she said, now wiping a glass and putting it in front of him.

 

He placed his hand on his chin, looking like he was contemplating on something. “Okay then. Give me your best drink.”

 

She looked at him and smiled. “Okay. Coming right up.”

 

He watched her as she got about three bottles that he didn’t know what. Then started mixing it up and putting some other things that he wasn’t familiar with. And after about a minute, she placed the drink in front of him. It was color green. He took the glass and eyed it suspiciously.

 

“Come on, just try it first. Trust me on this one.”

 

He took a sip of it and let it settle on his tongue for him to really taste it. After a while he swallowed it and smiled at her.

 

“It’s good.” He took another gulp. “Okay, I trusted you. Now can you trust me?” he placed down the drink and looked at her.

 

“Chaerin, about that rumor—“

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“What?” he was a bit surprised about the sudden apology.

 

“I know the rumor wasn’t true and I’m sorry.” She was busying herself with wiping whatever she could put her hands on.

 

“For what?” he held her arms, stopping her movements. She looked up at him and he was staring right back.

 

“I’m sorry for thinking badly of you. I practically accused you of being a woman beater. I mean, who wouldn’t get offended by that?” she said chuckling awkwardly and freeing herself from his hold.

 

“You know how I can forgive you?”

 

“How?” she asked raising an eyebrow.

 

“Meet me in my car after your shift.” He said and walked away, not waiting to hear her response.


 

Credits to Minwoo from Roommate for ‘Bomna’ :)