Chapter 23

The Chasing Game

“What? He said what!?” Minzy asked incredulously and Daesung shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

 

“Come on babe, let’s just let it go. It’s not our business.” He reached over to her.

 

“Like hell if it’s not our business!” Minzy angrily stood up, Daesung followed and put his hands on her shoulders to try and calm her down.

 

“Minzy-ah, calm down.” Daesung patted her back.

 

“How the can I calm down?! That jerk is going to regret it!” Minzy was still fired up. Who the did Jiyong think he was?!

 

“He was drunk. He probably didn’t mean it.”

 

“Drunk or not, he shouldn’t have said it. Let alone think that it was going to happen! What will unnie think if she hears about this?!”

 

Daesung remained quiet not knowing the answer to her question. He decided to just absorb all her anger.

 

“He…he wants me to chase him?”

 

The couple looked at the door and was shocked to see Chaerin standing there with her hand gripping the door knob tightly.

 

“Unnie…” Minzy was speechless. “You heard?”

 

Chaerin didn’t speak but just slightly nodded her head. She looked so pale.

 

At this moment, Daesung wanted to be swallowed by the ground. He felt so guilty because the boys said that what Jiyong said wouldn’t be mentioned again but there he was, directly the one who practically said it to Chaerin. It was that he couldn’t say no to Minzy when she was asking again about Jiyong.

 

“Chaerin I’m sorry… I…” Daesung was really lost on words.

 

Chaerin didn’t know what to say. She was lost too. Her heart was all over the place. “I… I have to go.” She bolted and ran. She heard Minzy calling after her but shut her out. She ran and ran. She didn’t know how long but when she stopped she saw a very familiar place in front of her.

 

It was a sun and below it the word ‘RISE’.

 

Her feet had a mind of its own. Without intending to, she found herself standing right in front of the door. She could see there were quite a number of customers in the place. She sighed. She didn’t even know why she went there. She had no business being there. It was his place. She wouldn’t taint it.

 

“Chaerin?” she heard from behind. She turned and saw the warm and sweet smile of Grandma Lee.

 

“Grandma Lee.” She had the urge to just hug her and she did.

 

“Young girl, what are you doing outside? Go in. is Jiyong with you?” the elderly asked as she patted the young girl’s back.

 

“Err. No. He’s not with me. I came alone this time.” Chaerin tried to smile.

 

“Aigoo. Did that boy do something? That boy really. Anyway, let’s go in. I’ll make you hot choco.” Grandma Lee led her in the café and settled her in the very same seat that she and Jiyong sat on when they first went there.

 

“Thank you.” She said gratefully as the older place the hot mug of choco in front of her.

 

“Young girl, don’t frown. Smile. You have a beautiful smile. Use it.” Grandma Lee sat in front of her and stared at the horizon. It was a clear day. A great time to go out.

 

Chaerin sheepishly smiled and just stared at the chocolate cup in front of her.

 

“You know, Jiyong is a really tough boy. He sometimes is very hard headed but all he wants is love and affection.” Grandma Lee stopped and smiled. “He was so happy before. He was so full of life. Always so vibrant and positive. But when his mother passed… he just started to… fade.” And the smile on her face faded. “For so long, we, his sister, friends, we tried to get him back. We tried to get back the happy Jiyong but he just lost too much. He loved his mother very deeply. It wasn’t only that. It was also around that time that his girlfriend cheated on him. Maybe he felt like his world was crumbling down… he was so lost at that time. That’s probably why he doesn’t trust so easily. He’s very… negative. He thinks of the worst. You just have to understand him.” the old lady patted Chaerin’s hand and smiled at her.

 

“I don’t think that’s necessary at this point.” Chaerin said. “We… we’re not together anymore.” She said and took a gulp of her drink. It was hot. It burned but she didn’t care. It helped ease the pain inside.

 

“You’ll figure it out. I know you will.”

 

 

Chaerin lay on her bed that night, blankly staring at the ceiling, thinking of the month she had spent with Jiyong. It was the happiest she has been. Jiyong treated her like a princess, always giving her gifts, always calling her. She felt loved. Then she went back to the night at the club, she wondered that if maybe Jiyong just knew what happened after then maybe, just maybe he’ll come back to her. But she immediately brushed that idea off. She didn’t want Jiyong to stay with her because of pity.

 

So she made a decision. One she never thought she would have to in her life.

 

 

When Jiyong arrived at school, he wasn’t surprised to see a hurdle of ladies near his usual parking space. What caught his attention though was a gold box with a single gold balloon attached to it, right in the middle of his parking area. He stopped his car and contemplated if he’d just run over it and park his car, but curiosity got the best of him. He got out of the car and went to look at it. He hovered over it, not touching it. Who knows what it might be, right? So he just peeked and saw it was a cake, a chocolate cake from the looks of it, his favourite. It looked homemade and very familiar too. He looked around to look for signs of the person who put it there but all he saw were the girls looking at him with flirty eyes. He was sure none of them gave it. Then he saw Minzy not far away looking at him and as soon as their eyes met, she raised her brow and left.

 

He was pretty sure he knew who made it and he felt a flutter inside.

 

 

“Did he get it?”

 

“Yes unnie. For the tenth time, he did.” Minzy exasperatedly said. Chaerin can be so annoying if she wanted to.

 

“Are you sure sure? As in you saw him get it?” Chaerin tugged at the younger’s sweater.

 

“Unnie! You’re getting annoying!” Minzy pulled away from her only to see her unnie with puppy-dog eyes. She couldn’t resist. “Ugh. Yes unnie. He looked at it. Then he saw me so I’m pretty sure he knows it was you.”

 

“But that defeats the purpose! I didn’t want him to know it was me!” Chaerin whined.

 

“Unnie. Everyone knows it was you. Who the hell uses a gold box and a gold balloon? It’s not so secret unnie. Trust me.” Minzy smirked.

 

All Chaerin could do was pout. The night she decided to do this, she was determined. Determined to get him back. She didn’t know if he still felt the same way about her but she definitely still feels that way for him. If he wants her to chase him, then that’s what she’ll do. She just hopes her patience can stretch.

 

 

“This is really good!” Youngbae said after eating the last bite of his cake.

 

“Yeah. Where the hell did you get this?” TOP asked, scraping crumbs off his plate.

 

“Around.” Jiyong said nonchalantly.

 

“Chaerin gave it to him.” Seungri said while still eating his piece. He was savouring every bite.

 

“Ooohh. So you’re back together now, hyung?” Daesung asked.

 

“What? No. We’re not. And how would you know she gave me this? I don’t even know who gave me this.” Jiyong defensively said even if deep down, he knew. He knew because she made it for him before and he was sure the one now tastes just as good but he didn’t taste it though.

 

“Easy. I saw her and Minzy place it on your parking space early this morning. That’s where you saw it right?” Seungri said smugly.

 

“Really Seungri! You’re a stalker in nature. You stalk even if you don’t mean to.” Youngbae said.

 

“I wonder where she got this. God, this is good. I want more!” Seungri childishly said.

 

“She made it.” Jiyong involuntarily let out.

 

“She made this?” Daesung asked.

 

“How would you know? You didn’t even know she was the one who gave it to you, remember?” Seungri teased.

 

“Shut up.” was the only thing that Jiyong could say and he stood up and left.

 

“Hyung! Your cake!” Daesung shouted after him.

 

“Its yours.” Jiyong waved it off as if it was nothing but he really wanted  it. At first, he wanted to throw it away just to drive a point but he just couldn’t so he picked up and took it to his friends who gladly ate it.

 

 

“Annyeong oppa!” Minzy excitedly jumped on Daesung as soon as she saw him. Chaerin was shyly trailing after her. After much resistance from her, she failed and was dragged there by Minzy because apparently Minzy missed her boyfriend too much.

 

She looked around and was relieved but disappointed mostly that he wasn’t there.

 

“Oh hi Chaerin!” Seungri excitedly said when he saw her.

 

“Err… hi guys.” Chaerin awkwardly waved her hand. She wasn’t particularly sure how to interact with them. They were Jiyong’s closest friends after all. Then she saw the cake.

 

“Jiyong hyung brought it over earlier.” Daesung said when he saw her looking at the box on the table.

 

“It’s really good Chae.” Youngbae said and the others nodded their head vigorously.

 

“Did he even taste it?” Chaerin asked quietly.

 

Nobody said anything. It was clear. Jiyong didn’t want it.

 

Chaerin smiled bitterly but gratefully to them. “Well, at least he didn’t throw it away, right?” She chuckled awkwardly trying to make light of it. “I’m glad you guys liked it. I uhh… I gotta go. I remember I have something to do.” She waved and was on her way.

 

 

Jiyong drove home early. Too early actually, even for a weekday. Because now, he didn’t loathe his home. He was slowly starting to love it again. Ever since he and his dad made up, it was great going home. He looked back to park his car in reverse and he saw the single floating gold balloon at the back seat. If he couldn’t take the cake then he at least took this.

 

He went in and was pleasantly surprised to find his father and sister in the living room watching television together. When he stepped in the line of sight, her sister chuckled.

 

“Who’s kid’s birthday party did you crash? And you even took a balloon. Poor kid.” Dami said sarcastically and their father laughed.

 

“Shut up. I didn’t steal this.” Jiyong said, heading off to the stairs to go to his room.

 

“You better be sure! I don’t want a kid knocking on the door, asking for it back!” Dami followed up and now, Jiyong chuckled too.

 

He stared at it as it moved restlessly, following the blow of the wind. It danced in the shadow it created just beside the foot of his bed where he tied it securely, and oddly, that comforted him. That was the last image in his head as he drifted off to sleep.

 

Jiyong overslept so he found himself rushing to school that morning. Usually, he wouldn’t care if he was late. He just wouldn’t enter class, simple. But now was different. He didn’t want to disappoint his father. He wanted to pass all his subjects and not only pass them but be exceptional in them and being late wouldn’t help. He’s been late for far too long and he couldn’t afford to be late again.

 

He cursed when he parked his car and saw the time. He was 15 minutes late already. He rushed towards his room to find the door closed already. He took a second to fix himself before entering.

 

“I’m sorry I’m late.” Jiyong said a little breathless and looked at Ms. Kim but found her smiling at him, instead of the usual scowl when students were late.

 

“That’s okay, Mr. Kwon. Chaerin told me you went to photocopy notes for the whole class so you’ll be running a little late. That’s very generous of you, Mr. Kwon.” Ms. Kim said.

 

“Huh?” Jiyong confusedly asked.

 

“Take a seat so we’ll continue.” Miss Kim turned and continued what she was writing on the board.

 

Jiyong saw Youngbae with two thumbs up and a smile on his face. Then he caught Chaerin’s eyes. She smiled lightly at him. As usual, she sat at the far back near the windows. When they were together they sat there together and now the seat beside her was still unoccupied but Jiyong decided against it and went to sit beside Youngbae.

 

“What was that?” Jiyong asked.

 

“That was Chaerin saving your late .” Youngbae smirked.

 

“Whatever. I didn’t ask her to do it.”

 

“But she did anyway. That says something doesn’t it?” Youngbae looked meaningfully at him but he ignored him.

 

 

“Hey.” Chaerin mustered her courage to go speak with him. It felt too long that they haven’t spoken with each other.

 

Jiyong turned around and saw her standing there looking beautiful like always. He literally had to shake his head just to get that out of his head.

 

“What?” he said plainly.

 

“I just wanted to give you these.” She pulled out a big brown envelope from her oversized Givenchy bag.

 

“What is it?”

 

“The notes. For Miss Kim’s class.” She said and nudged the envelope towards him.

 

He instinctively took it because it looked heavy. Hell, her bag looked hella heavy. He just wanted to take it and carry it for her.

 

“KWON!” somebody shouted from the other side and he turned and went there immediately, leaving Chaerin standing awkwardly.

 

“He’s being a .” Youngbae said to Chaerin.

 

“Who was that?” Chaerin asked curiously and nodded towards the direction Jiyong went through.

 

“That’s Lydia. She’s a producer. They worked together before.”

 

“Ahh… producer?” Chaerin wanted to ask more but wasn’t sure if she had the right to. Jealousy was creeping up like a .

 

“Yup. Jiyong made music before.” Youngbae answered but then he saw a frown on her face. “Don’t be jealous, they’re just friends.” He immediately supplied.

 

“I’m not jealous.”

 

“Mm-hmm.” Youngbae smirked. “You guys are crazy. You both clearly still are into each other but what the hell are you both doing?”

 

“I don’t know if he feels the same way anymore. It doesn’t feel like he still does.” Chaerin admitted.

 

“If you only knew.”


Next one coming soon... I hope :) I hope you enjoyed reading! Take care!