Chapter 7

The Chasing Game

“Hey.” He sat beside her.

 

“Hi.” She returned his smile. She has decided that maybe he wasn’t as bad as she had thought. He told her the truth even if it wouldn’t be in his favour and he hasn’t really done anything bad to her. Maybe they just started off in the wrong foot. “I’m glad your wounds are healing up.”

 

“Yeah. Me too.” It has been a week since the thing at the club. People said Jay was discharged from the hospital but he was still healing at home but Chaerin couldn’t care less about him. Chaerin was actually wondering why there wasn’t any police involved or even just a sanction from the school when they all knew who were involved in the brawl. Even the club she worked at didn’t press charges when there were lots of damages made.

 

“Can I ask you a question?”

 

“Fire away.”

 

“Uhm. Why weren’t you suspended or at least questioned about what happened in the club? I mean, it’s a good thing but I was just wondering…”

 

“You really wanna know?” he asked leaning closer to her, making her back away a little bit in her chair. He was too close.

 

“Ahem.” Both looked up. “Am I interrupting something here?” Sohee asked with her oh so plastic smile.

 

“Uhm. No. No you’re not.” Chaerin said, sitting straight and looking ahead. Jiyong shook his head as he found himself sandwiched between them again. He just wanted to sit beside Chaerin but of course Sohee had to show up and sit beside him.

 

“Oh Yongie, I heard what happened. Are you okay?” she tried touching his face but he immediately brushed her hand off.

 

“I’m fine.” He said flatly. Not wanting to talk to her.

 

“Are you sure? I mean, I could make you your favourite soup again, just like the old times.” She held his hand.

 

“Get your hand off me.” He hissed at her.

 

“Come on now Yongie, don’t act like that. You’re hurting my feelings.” She said softly, almost teary eyed.

 

“Stop calling me that!” he yelled standing up, getting the attention of the whole class.

 

“Is there a problem Mister Kwon?” Mr. Park asked turning to them.

 

“Yeah. Uhm. My body hurts. I’m gonna go see the doctor.” He said, gathering his things but before he left, he looked at Chaerin meaningfully as if asking her not to misunderstand but Chaerin didn’t see it. She didn’t even look at him.

 

 

“Sohee are you okay?” Chaerin found her crying in the ladies’ room just after their class.

 

“Yeah. It’s just… he gets a little violent sometimes.” Sohee said while sobbing.

 

“Who?”

 

“Jiyong. I’m sure he doesn’t mean to but he h-hits me s-sometimes.” She said, her sobs getting louder. Chaerin was surprised to be honest. Jiyong was that type of guy? She went closer to Sohee and hugged her.

 

“Oh my God, I’m so sorry that happened to you.” Chaerin said still a bit unbelieving about what her ‘friend’ said but then she remembered what happened in the club when he grabbed her hand a little too tight. “But are you two together?” she couldn’t help but ask because she heard their conversation during class.

 

“We were. But we broke up. I couldn’t take his violence anymore.”

 

It made Chaerin angry looking at her friend’s pitiful state. She was crying her heart out for someone who hurt her. Not only emotionally but physically too. If there’s one thing she hated, it would be the men treating women badly.

 

Maybe she was wrong about Jiyong and he really was just one of those jerks.

 

……

 

“Hey Chaerin!” she heard as she was about to enter her car. She turned around and saw the man she would least like to see. “About what we talked about in class, you still wanna know why—“

 

“No! I don’t. Stop. Just stop okay? Stop talking to me. Stop trying to get my attention. Stop everything. I was wrong in thinking you were more than just your looks but I guess I was wrong. You’re just like any other jerk out there. You know what? I was really starting to think we could be friends but that I would never want to be associated with someone who lays a hand on women.” she said entering her car and locking the doors, ready to drive off.

 

“What? Wait! Chaerin! What are you talking about?! Chae!” he tried to run after her car but his ankle still hurts and the best he could do was limp. “What the ?!” he screamed in exasperation

 

 

“Ji, what happened?!” Youngbae said, helping his friend stand up. He saw him sitting down in the parking lot like some kind of a beggar.

 

“Sohee. That’s what happened. Ugh!!!” he groaned, frustrated.

 

“What? Use your words Ji. What did she do?”

 

“She’s messing up my life! Just when I thought I was making progress with Chaerin, she comes in the picture and ruins it. I’m sure she told Chaerin something. Chaerin was so mad at me a while ago.”

 

“Okay breathe Ji. Come on, your ankle’s swelling again. Let’s get you to the doctor.” Youngbae said, trying to lead Jiyong towards the clinic.

 

“No! I don’t need a doctor! I need to talk to Chaerin!”

 

“Okay okay. Just relax man. You’ll talk to her. After you’ve gone to the doctor. Think straight Ji. You know you can’t go to her limping.” Jiyong thought of what his friend said and he was right.

 

“Fine.” They headed to the clinic.

 

……

 

“Ji! What the is this gossip that I just heard?” TOP said looking angry as he approached the four in their usual spot.

 

“What?”

 

“That you hit Sohee when you guys were together and that’s why you two broke up.”

 

“WHAT?!” the four said.

 

“You guys know that’s not true, right?” Jiyong said, looking at the rest.

 

“Of course we know, you idiot. I’m mad because such a rumor is spreading around campus!” TOP said, hitting the table.

 

“Relax hyung.” Daesung tried to put out the fire.

 

“RELAX? How could I relax when something like this is spreading around? If i find out who started that rumor I’m gonna—“

 

“I know who started it.”

 

“What?!” the rest said, looking at Jiyong.

 

“Who?” Youngbae asked.

 

“Sohee.”

 

……

 

“You do know it’s a lie right?” Chaerin looked to her left and saw Youngbae sitting there. It’s too early for this.

 

“You have to know it’s not true. Jiyong would never hit—“

 

“Can you please shut up before I end up not liking you too and I don’t want that because like I said before, you remind me of my brother and I really don’t want to dislike my brother.” She said irriated. She hoped class would start soon. She was grateful Jiyong didn’t enter their class. She didn’t want to see him.

 

“Please Chaerin just listen.” He pleaded but she gave no response. He would take that opportunity to talk to her. “Jiyong and Sohee are old news. They dated for about a year and broke up last year and it wasn’t because Jiyong was violent. Hell no. Like I said, he would never hit girls. They broke up because she cheated on him… with Jay Park.” That made her look at him.

 

“Aren’t you curious why Jiyong’s always pissed whenever he sees him? The thing that happened at the club? That was pent up rage. After they cheated, Jiyong didn’t do anything. He quietly broke up with her and tried to move on. Jiyong really likes you, you know. He didn’t want you to misunderstand any of this because the rumor is not true.”

 

“And why would I believe you? You’re his friend of course you would defend him.”

 

“You would believe me because your gut tells you to. You should believe me because what I’m telling is the truth.”

 

“Gosh. You’re more similar to him than I thought.”

 

“Who?”

 

“My brother.”

 

……

 

“Sohee, just drop the act.”

 

“What’re you talking about?” she turned from their table, shocked to see the two people she would choose to never see again. “What’re you doing here?” she asked, a bit of panic suddenly appeared to her face but was immediately changed with fierceness.

 

“We know the rumor you started isn’t true and we know you only spread that because of Chaerin.” Bom said, standing confidently with her hand on her hip.

 

“You don’t have proof I started it and that it wasn’t true.” Sohee said, challenging the two in front of her.

 

“We don’t need proof. We know you’re a liar. An insecure liar!” Minzy said.

 

“Shut up! I didn’t lie!” Sohee said, suddenly acting like a victim when she saw a crowd forming around them.

 

“Oh please. You think you can fool us? Chaerin might think you changed or can change but you didn’t and you won’t. You’re still the same insecure you always were.” Bom said, maintaining her stance.

 

“You’re still jealous of Chaerin huh? Even after all these years, you’re still jealous of her, even after she tried to lower herself just so you can shine more. You really are a !” Minzy said, getting really angry.

 

“So what if I lied?! I don’t care if you don’t believe me as long as Chaerin does! As long as she keeps away from my Jiyong, I would do anything!” Sohee screamed at them, shocking every one.

 

Bom and Minzy smiled at their accomplishment. They got her to say she lied about it and not only that. She said it while Chaerin was there, listening.

 

“You hear that Chaerin-ah?” Bom said smiling, looking behind Sohee.

 

“Loud and clear unnie.” 


I'm looking for inspiration to continue this story :( I hope I find one soon. Any suggestions?