Chapter 6

The Chasing Game

“Where are the others?” Jiyong asked his best friend as he sat beside him.

 

“There.” he said, nodding his head to the dance floor. Jiyong smiled at what he first saw. Daesung was dancing with the girl he liked. Then Jiyong got surprised at what he saw next. TOP was dancing with the beautiful black haired chick they saw earlier.

 

“Wow. That was fast.” Jiyong said, leaning his back on the sofa.

 

“I know right.”

 

“Wait. But where’s Seungri?”

 

“He’s right there. Didn’t you see him? He’s pretty hard to miss.” Youngbae said, containing a laugh.

 

“What? Where?” He looked at the dance floor again and there he saw it. At the table in the middle was Seungri, dancing ily. Too ily. He was drunk as hell for sure.

 

“Is he giving a ?” Youngbae said, now laughing unable to hold it in anymore.

 

“Oh . He’s gonna embarrass himself again.” Jiyong said watching the younger one start to his polo.

 

“Let him have fun.” Youngbae said laughing.

 

“You’re the one having fun!” Jiyong said, now laughing too.

 

“You are too!”

 

“Ahem. Excuse me.” They both looked to the side and were pleasantly surprised. One more than the other.

 

“Hey Chaerin! Come sit! You should see this.” Youngbae said excitedly.

 

“Uhm I actually came to ask you to take care of your friend because he’s causing a scene.” Chaerin said politely as if talking to some customers she didn’t know.

 

“Who? Seungri? Nooo, he’s just having fun!” Youngbae said.

 

“Please get him out of there before he removes that last piece of clothing.”

 

They looked and he only had his boxers on. ‘Oh ’. It never went to this point.

 

“I’ll take care of it.” Jiyong said.

 

“Thank you.” Chaerin said as she walked away but not before hearing him say “Anything for you.” she smiled before she could stop herself.

 

 

Before he could even get to Seungri, he heard a loud argument to his left. He wanted to ignore it but he heard a very familiar voice.

 

“What the hell is your problem?” Daesung shouted loudly, tramping the loud music.

 

“Come on oppa, let’s just go.” Minzy said, trying to neutralize the situation.

 

“Listen to your and walk away!”

 

Daesung was ready to land a fist straight to his face but was stopped when he suddenly saw Jiyong in front of him. “What’s going on here?” he asked in a stern voice.

 

“Jesus Christ! How many times do you have to appear in front of me today?!” Jiyong heard from behind him. He turned around and saw none other than Jay Park.

 

“What’s going on here?” he asked again but now to Jay.

 

“What’s going on here is none of your ing business. Why don’t you just go back to your mom’s grave and cry like a little gir—“

 

DUSH!

 

Bottles breaking, tables cracking, people screaming. It all happened so fast. A single punch escalated too quickly.

 

......

 

“What the hell happened in there?!” An angry TOP shouted when they were all in the parking lot. He was nursing his cracked lip and bruised fist.

 

“It wasn’t Jiyong hyung’s fault.” Daesung said as he applied ice on his left eye.

 

“I should’ve killed that motherer!” Jiyong yelled as he started to get up again but to no success. His body hurt so much. His face was bleeding and he was sure he sprained his ankle when he fell.

 

“Ji, calm the down! You’ve done enough. I’m pretty sure Jay’s gonna be in the hospital for a while.” Youngbae said as he assisted the other to sit properly at the front seat of his car. He didn’t have as much bruises as the others because he was a bit far from them when the fight broke out so he didn’t receive as much punches as the others but he sure delivered a lot.

 

“What the f- happened?” they heard a groan at the backseat and saw Seungri starting to sit up. “Why the does my face hurt like hell? And what the happened to my clothes? Why am I in my underwear? My head ing hurts.” he looked around confused and was faced by serious looks from his hyungs. “Whoa hyung, what happened to your face? You look like hell.” He said, laughing a bit.

 

Jiyong scoffed. “You should take a look at yourself.”

 

“W-what?” the younger said looking for a mirror. “OH MY GOD! What the hell happened?! Did we get in a fight?! I look like a freaking panda!” he saw two dark circles around his eyes. He had black eyes, literally, and a broken lip.

 

“What do you think?” Daesung said as he slid in the backseat. “Thank God you’re awake, now we can actually sit here.” Seungri took up the whole backseat when he slept so the others ended up sitting on the hood of the car.

 

“But how?! I don’t remember anything!”

 

“That’s because you were drunk as hell.” Youngbae said, helping Jiyong fully sit in the front.

 

“But that didn’t stop you from throwing some punches. Good job, kiddo.” TOP said, sitting beside him while lightly punching his arm to which he whined in pain.

 

“Let’s get outta here before someone sees us and takes a picture or something.” Youngbae said, settling on the driver’s seat and starting the car. It would definitely affect their families if photos of them looking like that leaked.

 

“Where are we gonna go? I can’t go home like this. My parents are gonna kill me.” Daesung said still tending to his eye which was almost non-existent at this point.

 

“Yeah. Me too.” Seungri said, starting to sober up a bit.

 

“Let’s go to my house.”

 

“Ji, you sure?” TOP asked.

 

“Yeah. It’s not like I have a mother to scold me or something.” He said, making the others totally quiet.

 

After about a minute. “But you have a father.”

 

“ him.”

 

……

 

“Minzy, what the hell happened?!” they were at Chaerin’s place and she was fuming.

 

“Unnie, it’s not our fault. He came on to me.” Minzy said trembling which made Chaerin stop her pacing and look at her cousin.

 

“What? Who? Daesung?”

 

“What? No! That Jay Park guy. Me and Daesung oppa were just dancing when suddenly somebody started to grab my waist and grind his body to mine. At first I shrugged it off because maybe the person thought I was someone else but then he did it again and the next thing I knew was Daesung oppa arguing with him.”

 

“Jay Park harassed you?” Chaerin said getting angry.

 

“Well it didn’t go to that point…”Minzy said not wanting her cousin to get too mad. But it was too late.

 

“That mother er!” Chaerin said as she went to the door and opened it but was greeted with Bom holding a tray with three cups of what looked like hot choco.

 

“So what’re you gonna do? Beat the guy to death?” Bom said calmly as she entered the room and placed the tray down the bedside table. “Sorry to break it to you honey, but somebody already beat you to it.”

 

“What?”

 

“Yup. That handsome guy I saw you talking to at the bar earlier.” Bom said blowing on her cup.

 

“Who? Youngbae?” Chaerin squinted her eyes trying to remember who she had talked to earlier, there were lots but she tried to remember who she had talked to long enough for Bom to see. ‘No way…’

 

“No unnie, it was their other friend, Jiyong oppa.” Minzy said, drinking from her cup.

 

“Jiyong? Kwon Jiyong? Him?” Chaerin said, not believing. How could a skinny guy beat up a muscular man?

 

“Yup. That one. I heard Seunghyun yell his name.”

 

“Seunghyun? As in TOP?” Chaerin asked surprised. They knew each other?

 

“Yup. But I prefer to call him Seunghyun. I think it’s more intimate.” Bom said, smiling playfully.

 

“You know him? How much did I miss?” Chaerin said, now calming down.

 

“A lot unnie.”

 

“Apparently. So let me get this straight. You and Daesung?” she pointed to Minzy “and you and TOP?” she pointed to Bom.

 

“Well… not officially… we’re just getting to know each other. I don’t want to assume things.” Bom said.

 

“Yeah, me too.” The youngest chimed in. A bit disappointed that she didn’t get to spend more time with Daesung.

 

“Gosh, you two are confusing. But Minzy, are you okay now?” she was still concerned about her younger cousin.

 

“Yes unnie. I’m fine now. Thanks a lot. Let’s just sleep. I’m tired.” Minzy said, yawning.

 

“Okay, but you guys should clean up fir—“ she looked at them and smiled. They were asleep already. She went closer and placed the blanket over them. They were sleeping on her bed but she didn’t mind. They always shared everything. Except boys, of course.

 

……

 

“Hey… so I heard what you did last Friday night at Sky Lounge and I just wanted to thank you.” Jiyong got surprised when he heard that familiar voice. He opened his eyes, took his sunglasses off and saw her. He stared at her for what seemed like hours but was mere seconds “Anyway… that’s all. So… bye.” She turned and started to walk away.

 

“Wait!”

 

She looked back and saw him approaching her. “Hmm?”

 

“Look, I don’t want you to get the wrong idea. Daesung told me about what happened with your cousin. I actually didn’t do it for her. Jay said something that ticked me off that’s why I beat him up.” Jiyong said. He didn’t want Chaerin getting close to him because she felt like she owed him something. He wanted her to talk to him because she actually wanted to.

 

“Oh…”

 

“Yeah. Sorry to disappoint.” Jiyong said, he was actually more disappointed with himself. He was kinda regretting telling that to her now.

 

“But thanks anyway. You still beat him up. I would’ve if you didn’t. And thanks for this too.” she winked, handing him something and walked away. Leaving him there staring at her back.

 

“Earth to Jiyong!” a hand was waving in front of him. He turned and saw Youngbae peering over him from the side.

 

“Oh hey man.” He looked at his hands and saw his notes.

 

“Hey… so still just staring and not doing anything huh?” Youngbae teased as he sat down the bench they usually occupied.

 

“It’s not that I don’t want to do anything. It’s just… I think… I think…”

 

“You can do it man. Come on.” Youngbae gestured with his hands as if trying to help him get his words out.

 

“Shut up Bae!” he said when Youngbae started laughing.

 

“I’m sorry. It’s just, you looked constipated. Hahaha. Come on man! Just let it out.”

 

“I think she likes you.” Youngbae stopped laughing.

 

“What?”

 

“I won’t say it again.” Jiyong said, sitting beside his friend and putting his sunglasses on.

 

“What made you think that?”

 

“I feel it.”

 

Youngbae laughed again. “Oh Ji. If you only knew.”

 

“Knew what?” he looked at him.

 

“It’s a secret.” He said.

 

“Oh come on man! Really? You’re really gonna leave me hangin’ like this?”

 

“That sounds so dirty Ji. Can I join whatever you two are doing?” the oldest said playfully as he sat with them.

 

“Shut up, hyung.” An annoyed Jiyong said.

 

“Whoa. What happened to hyung? He looks pissed.” Seungri said, coming with Daesung who was carrying food.

 

“Maybe he’s pissed knowing you didn’t even help me carry all these food.” Daesung said while sighing and placing bags of food on the table in front of them. They were at their usual spot at the grounds.

 

“Well, I was just helping you strengthen your muscles.” The younger pinched his muscles.

 

“Yah. Stop that.”

 

“Both of you shut up.” they heard an authoritative voice say. They didn’t hear it much so it managed to raise hairs on their neck.

 

“Whoa. Hyung’s really pissed.”

 

“Ugh. Okay fine. I’ll tell you. No need to scare the young ones.”

 

Jiyong didn’t say anything. He maintained his poker face.

 

“She said I reminded her of someone.” Youngbae said piquing Jiyong’s interest.

 

“Who?”

 

“Her brother.” Youngbae said laughing. “Oh God. It’s so funny when you get pissed.”

 

“Wait, who’re we talking about here?” Daesung asked already putting a kimbab in his mouth.

 

“Who else, of course it’s Lee Chaerin. I saw her walking away from here.”

 

“You and your stalker eyes never fail to amaze me Seungri.” TOP said.

 

“Wait. She has a brother?” Jiyong asked Youngbae.

 

“Well, she said they’re not blood related but they treat each other as siblings. So you don’t have to worry about her liking me bro, she sees me as a brother.” Youngbae said, smiling at his friend.

 

“Well, that sounds like trouble.” TOP said, feeding himself some meat.

 

“What does?” Daesung asked. “Isn’t it good that Chaerin doesn’t like Youngbae hyung like that? I mean, it would definitely be a problem if she did because we all know how the dragon can be unleashed when hyung becomes jealous.”

 

“I mean the non-blood related sibling. I don’t wanna assume things but I’m just considering the possibilities. What if she sees him as a brother but he sees her as something more?”

 

“I think you’ve been watching too much dramas lately, Choi Seunghyun.” Youngbae said.

 

“I’m just saying man.”

 

That got Jiyong thinking. Ugh. What if his hyung was right? That’s a big problem because he’s just starting to get to know her and that ‘brother’ probably knew her for a long time.

 

“Don’t think much about what hyung said Ji. We don’t even know who her ‘brother’ is.” Youngbae said when he noticed Jiyong getting quiet. He knew Jiyong was already thinking of possibilities that’s why he wished their hyung never mentioned anything because Jiyong wasn’t really an optimist. He was cynical.

 

Jiyong looked to the papers in his hands again. She put some extra notes on the available spaces and corrected some words that were hard to read. He smiled thinking about her writing it for him.

 

He felt something brew in his stomach that he never thought he would feel again… butterflies.