Chapter 5

The Chasing Game

“You know, the weirdest thing happened to me today.”

 

“What? You saw a ghost or something?” Bom asked. She was sitting on Chaerin’s bed, busy drying her newly painted nails.

 

“No. Worse.” Chaerin said as she sat down in front of her vanity table to dry her hair.

 

“What is it, unnie?” Minzy asked. She was already done preparing half an hour ago and was just waiting for the older ones.

 

“You remember Sohee?” Chaerin asked as she turned around to look at the two who stopped whatever they were doing and looked back at her.

 

“Sohee? As in Sohee your best friend during elementary school?” Minzy asked.

 

“Yup.”

 

“Sohee as in your supposed to be best friend but then decided to humiliate you in front of the whole elementary school Sohee?” Bom asked.

 

“Yup.” Chaerin said again, remembering her younger days.

 

“Why? What about her?” Bom asked, interested in what had happened.

 

“Apparently, we’re still besties. Apparently, nothing went wrong between us.” Chaerin said as she started applying eyeliner.

 

“What?” Bom asked, confused.

 

“Well, I saw her today. Then she greeted me like we’re some long lost sisters or something. I wasn’t planning on talking to her or anything. She just suddenly pulled me and said I should hang out with them. She introduced me to some people as her childhood friend. It made me cringe hearing that but what can I do? I didn’t want to be rude or anything.”

 

“You know what you should’ve done? You should have buried your fist down so she would stop talking .” Bom said.

 

“Unnie~!” Both the younger ones said while laughing at what the older said. Bom and her words really.

 

“What? After what she did to you she just expects to be friends again?”

 

“That was years ago unnie. Maybe she changed already.” Chaerin said, trying not to think bad about her once best friend.

 

“Chaerin-ah, I know it happened when we were young but still. It was too much. I would never forgive her if she did it to me.”

 

“Let’s just let it go, unnie.” Chaerin said, almost done with her make up.

 

“Okay fine. If that’s what you want. But if that causes trouble for you, don’t hesitate to tell me, arasseo?”

 

“Yes unnie~”

 

“Same goes for you. Mingkki-ah”

 

“Arasseo unnie~ and when will you two be done? I’ve been waiting for almost an hour.” The youngest whined.

 

“Okay okay. I’ll just put on my clothes.”

 

……

 

“Heard what happened during class today. Must’ve been hella awkward.” TOP said as they were on their way to Sky Lounge Club.

 

“Shut up hyung.” Jiyong said, not wanting to talk about it.

 

“What happened?” Daesung asked.

 

“Well, since you asked. Our Jiyong here was sandwiched between two certain ladies during his class.” TOP said playfully.

 

“That sounds so wrong.” Youngbae, who was driving said.

 

“Hyung! You make it seem like something else!”

 

“Wow hyung, I didn’t know you were that adventurous. Who was on top and who was below?” Seungri asked ertedly.

 

“Shut up Ri! It wasn’t like that!” Jiyong said, overly defensive. “I just sat between two girls, that’s it.”

 

“Really now? Mind mentioning who those two girls are?” TOP said as he looked back at the younger three sitting at the back seat with an eyebrow raised and a playful smile on his face.

 

“It was Sohee on the left and Chaerin on the right. Am I correct? Or was it the other way around?” the older said, answering his own question while laughing, undoubtedly amused by the younger’s experience.

 

“Whoa. That must’ve been awkward.” Daesung said, mentally picturing what was said.

 

“You have no idea.”

 

……

 

“Really unnie?! You asked us to go out so you can work?” Minzy said exasperatedly, realizing that they were going to where Chaerin worked at.

 

“Well… kind of.” Chaerin said, feeling a bit guilty. “But! I won’t be working all night! I just have three hours tonight then we can party!” she said cutely, trying to cheer up her cousin.

 

“Ugh fine!”

 

“I’m hurt Mingkki-ah, don’t you want to spend some time with me?” Bom said while dramatically patting her chest.

 

“Unnie, it’s not that. It’s just… sometimes… you lose track of what you drink and you get super wasted then do some embarrassing stuff. I can’t handle that alone.” Minzy said, causing Chaerin to laugh loudly.

 

“Yah! I don’t get that drunk.”

 

“Yeah unnie. You do.” Chaerin said, still chuckling. They were at the back area of the club. She worked as a part time bartender. It wasn’t like she was having financial problems, her parents give her enough, actually more than enough but she wanted the satisfaction of spending money that she earned.

 

“Anyway, let’s go in. I want you guys to meet somebody. She’s a cool girl. You’ll like her.”

 

“Whatever you say, Chaerinnie~”

 

 

“Dara!” Chaerin said trying to fight the loud music playing.

 

“Oh Chaerin-ah, you’re here!” the older said as she gave her a light hug.

 

“Dara, I want you to meet Bom, my best friend and Minzy, cousin and best friend.” Chaerin said, gesturing to the two beside her.

 

“Annyeong! I’m Sandara Park but you can just call me Dara.” She said as she stuck her hand out for a hand shake to which the two took.

 

“Hi, so are we the same age?” Minzy asked.

 

“How old are you?”

 

“I’m 19.”

 

“Oh, I’m your unnie. I’m 23. But you can just drop the unnie if you want.”  Dara said while smiling sweetly. She was comfortable even if people younger than her don’t call her unnie or noona since she grew up outside Korea so they didn’t really use that.

 

“WHAT?!” Chaerin heard the two ask in surprise, which made her chuckle. She couldn’t blame them. That was her reaction too when she found out her age. But they decided to be comfortable with each other so she can just call her Dara if she wanted to but most of the time she calls her unnie.

 

“You’re just a year younger than me but you look so young.” Bom said in amazement.

 

“Yeah, I get that a lot.” Dara chuckled. “Anyway, you’ve come to the right place to party! The night’s just getting started!”

 

“Yeah!!!” Bom and Minzy both said, getting excited.

 

“Great! So I’ll just be handling the bar for a while then you’re up CL!” Dara said calling her by the nickname they came up with, while waving to them to go tend the bar.

 

“CL?” Bom asked.

 

“A nickname.” Chaerin smiled. “Anyway, let’s go get you guys a table.”

 

“You were right Chaerin, I like her.” Bom said as they made their way to the best table Chaerin could find.

 

“Me too, unnie!”

 

“I told you guys. Anyway, it’ll be my turn at the bar in a few minutes. Try not to get too drunk without me.” She said, particularly looking at the older with squinted eyes.

 

“Fine! I won’t! Go. See you later!” Bom said as the figure of Chaerin was eaten up by the forming crowd in the dance floor. It was time to party!

 

 

“Two glasses of vodka please!” she heard someone say over the counter. She turned to look and was surprised to see the guy she never expected to see in club.

 

“Youngbae?” she asked.

 

“Whoa. Chaerin? I didn’t realize it was you.” Youngbae said, looking at her from head to toe. “You working?”

 

“Yeah. Why?” she replied over the loud music.

 

“Nothing, I just think it’s unusual that you work with those killer heels.” He said pointing at her 6 inch high red stilettos. “Considering you would be standing for hours.”

 

“You know what, you remind me of someone!” She chuckled.

 

“Really? And who should that be?” they were almost screaming just to hear one another.

 

“My brother!” He laughed at that. He didn’t expect that.

 

“I didn’t know you had a brother!”

 

“Not blood related. We just treat each other as siblings! You should meet him sometime.” She said over the booming music.

 

“I’ll look forward to that! Oh hey, Jiyong’s over there if you were wondering.” Youngbae said as he pointed to their table.

 

“I wasn’t.” Chaerin said, pouring the drinks he ordered.

 

“You should give him a chance. He’s not as bad as you think. And thanks for the drinks!” He said as he handed her some cash. “See you around!”

 

Chaerin smiled as he went away. He was sweet. She was drawn to him. He reminded her of one of the most important people in her life.

 

 

“Hey man, thanks for the drink!” Jiyong said as he got the drink from Youngbae’s hand.

 

“Yeah. You should go get it yourself next time. You won’t regret it.” The other responded, hinting at something.

 

“Yeah yeah. Just say you’re lazyyy!”

 

“Whatever you say man. Don’t say I didn’t tell you though.” Youngbae said with a wink.

 

“Hey Dae! Isn’t that the girl you’ve been secretly taking pictures of?” TOP asked while pointing to the red haired girl dancing quite provocatively in the dance floor. They could see everything from where they sat. That table was always reserved for them. It was the best spot.

 

“You should go there! She looks alone.” Jiyong said, nudging the young blonde.

 

“She’s not.” Seugri said, making them all turn to him. “You see that black haired chick there?” he said pointing to the table where a beautiful girl with a very short dress was drinking a cocktail. “She’s with her.”

 

“What? How do you know?” Daesung asked.

 

“He’s right. Look.” Youngbae said, nodding his head forward. The black haired girl was now walking to where the red haired girl was and started dancing with her.

 

“That’s hot.” TOP said, leaning more to get a better look.

 

“Wow Ri. Really though, you should make stalking your job.” Jiyong said as he patted the younger’s back.

 

“I told you, I’m just a good observer! Like how I observed that it’s Lee Chaerin serving at the bar.”

 

They all looked at the bar and sure enough it was Chaerin pouring Bacardi 151 in a shot glass.

 

“Yah Bae! Why didn’t you tell me?!” He said, already standing up and fixing himself.

 

“What? I did… subliminally.” Youngbae said chuckling.

 

“See you later Ji, good luck!” TOP shouted to his leaving figure while standing up, himself.

 

“Hyung, where are you going?”

 

“It seems like some girls need some company. Dae, you coming?” TOP said as he straightened up his suit. It was weird but he liked wearing formal clothes in the club, or anywhere.

 

“Let’s go hyung!” Daesung said in an overly excited manner.

 

“Well, it’s just you and me now pal.” Youngbae said as he patted Seungri’s shoulder.

 

“Actually hyung…”

 

“What? You’re leaving too?!”

 

“Sorry hyung! I just got a text from a friend and she’s waiting for me at their table. See you later hyung!”

 

“This rascal really.” Youngbae mumbled as he left him. Now he’s alone and that meant one thing. He was the designated driver. ‘Damn it!’

 

 

“A glass of vodka please!” he said over the music.

 

“Coming right up!” the blonde said as she turned her attention to where she heard the order. “You?”

 

“Me.” He said with a wide grin.

 

“What are you doing here?” she said as she eyed him up and down. He looked good. She had to admit he looks good in school but he upped his level in the club.

 

“I’m ordering.” He sat down on the vacant chair in front of her, placing his elbows on the table and head on his hands as he stared at her.

 

“Okay. A glass of vodka then.” She put a glass in front of him, put some ice in it then started pouring the drink while lifting the bottle up and down. It was supposed to be an ordinary movement but she looked so y doing it and Jiyong couldn’t help but gulp. She was standing right in front of him and she was wearing a shirt with a very low neckline. He could just see a mole peeking from her right…

 

“Hey Chaerin, a shot of Bacardi please.” He heard from his right side. He immediately turned to see who interrupted his moment.

 

‘Of course. Jay Park.’

 

“Coming right up, Jay.” Chaerin said as she placed a shot glass in front of him and poured the drink.

 

“Thanks Chae.” He said as he handed her the payment but his hand lingered longer than it should. Jiyong’s blood boiled and he grabbed her arm before he could stop himself.

 

“What the hell!” Jay said as he looked at the person to his left and smirked. “Well well, if it isn’t Jiyong… again. What? You following me now?” That smirk still on his face.

 

“You should watch where you place those filthy hands of yours.” He said to him with hostility.

 

“Why? Afraid I might snatch away what’s yours again? And by the way, Chaerin isn’t even yours to begin with. It’s fair game.” He said getting closer to him. Both staring straight at the other’s eyes, not backing down.

 

“Okay. That’s enough boys.” Chaerin said, realizing the air was getting too hot.

 

“Whatever you say Chaerin, whatever you say.” Jay said, backing away from Jiyong ready to leave but not before giving one last smile to Chaerin.

 

“Okay. Can you let go of my arm now? It’s starting to hurt.” Jiyong immediately released her arm and saw his very visible hand mark. He didn’t notice he still held her.

 

“Oh . I’m so sorry.” He looked at her rubbing her arm.

 

“It’s fine.” She said, waving him off but he knows it’s not.

 

“I’m really sorry. Do you wanna go see a doctor or something?” He asked really feeling sorry. He kind of lost his control a little. He didn’t even realize he was channelling his anger to her arm.

 

“No. It’s fine, really. Just… what’s he talking about? I kind of heard my name mixed in your intense conversation.”

 

“He wants you.” Jiyong said as he took a sip of his drink.

 

“What?” she asked, not believing what she heard.

 

“But don’t worry. I got you.” He smirked, stood up and left. Leaving her there speechless, confused and trying to analyze what he said.