Chapter 28

The Chasing Game

All Jiyong could think of was Chaerin. He stayed immobile as he was practically dragged out of the club by Cheng.

 

“What the were you doing in there?!” The large, buff man said sounding angry but obviously more worried about the younger. They’ve known each other for quite a while and he knew that Jiyong wasn’t the type to just start a fight.

 

“Chaerin…” That was all he said. That was all he said the whole time he was dragged out.

 

Cheng just shook his head at the young guy, feeling sorry for him. He probably felt like right now.

 

“I need to see Chaerin.” Jiyong said and as if divine providence suddenly appeared he started moving and searching for something. He finally found it in his back pocket and started dialling.

 

Every second felt too long for him. And his heart beat picked up as soon as he heard the call get accepted but before he could even say anything the person on the other line spoke.

 

“She’s here in X hospital. She just got her hands stitched up. And Jiyong before you come here make sure you already composed yourself or don’t come here at all.”

 

And with that the other person hung up.

 

“Thanks Bae.” Jiyong whispered uselessly. He knows he’s probably mad at him. Who wouldn’t be? He just hurt Chaerin. Unintentionally of course but still he was careless and because of that she was hurt.

 

He rushed off to his car and sped away, not minding the honks and curses other drivers were giving him. He didn’t give a . All he could think about was going to her. That’s all that matters.

 

 

Youngbae was waiting for him at the parking lot, looking impatient, angry and disappointed all at the same time. Seeing him like that made Jiyong cower a little. It was rare to see his friend like this but it was always for good reason.

 

“You ed up big time, you know that right?” Youngbae’s cold tone made Jiyong ashamed of what happened in the club.

 

He just nodded his head to acknowledge he heard him and also to acknowledge the fact he said.

 

“Where’s she?” Jiyong really wanted to see her.

 

“Look. Don’t get all ballistic again, okay?” Youngbae warned because he knew what he was about to say next would piss Jiyong off.

 

Jiyong nodded his head, already expecting something he didn’t like.

 

“She’s with Jay right now.” Youngbae said and just as he predicted, a dark color enveloped Jiyong and he saw his fist clenched so tight that his knuckles were white but surprisingly he didn’t do anything else. In fact his face looked calm.

 

“Where?” Jiyong said a bit impatiently.

 

“Look Ji. There’s something you really should know—“ Youngbae tried to tell him but he cut him off.

 

“I asked where, Youngbae.” He wasn’t shouting or anything but he sounded scarier. A scary calm tone.

 

Youngbae sighed and shook his head at his stubborn friend who needs to learn how to listen but he led the way.

 

Even from a distance he saw familiar figures hanging outside what he presumed to be Jay’s room but the one he wanted to see wasn’t one of them. He passed them and went straight to the door. He had his hand on the knob but was suddenly debating with himself whether he should go in. His anger was bit by bit wavering and then he remembered why they were all here in the first place. It was his fault. It was his fault she was hurt. He removed his hand from the knob but was just standing there breathing heavily. He didn’t know what to do. What would he find on the other side of this door? Would what was left of his heart break? He was upset that he didn’t know what to do and he felt helpless.

 

The others were just looking at him. Waiting for his next move. Nobody dared to say anything not when he was exuding a dangerous aura.

 

Then suddenly the door opened revealing Chaerin.

 

There was silence. They just stared at each other. Until it was Chaerin who broke the eerie silence.

 

“Jiyong.” She managed to breathe out.

 

Jiyong as if awakened by her voice calling his name, snapped out of it and really looked at her. He saw her bandaged hands and guilt dawned upon him. He suddenly became ashamed of himself. But then he saw him just behind her, he looked like he was sleeping peacefully and just like that the anger and jealousy overshadowed the guilt he felt.

 

“You like him this much?” he asked ice cold.

 

“What?” Chaerin said confused and hurt by his cold stature.

 

“You like him this much that the first thing you do is come to his aide when he’s hurt?” Jiyong was becoming madder.

 

“Jiyong.” Youngbae warningly said as he felt like this would lead to nothing good.

 

Jiyong however chose to ignore him. He was just getting started.

 

“Why? Huh? What does he have that I don’t? What made you run to his arms? Was I not enough? Did I not treat you well enough?! Did I not love you enough?!” he was getting riled up by the second as all the frustration he felt was suddenly surging up again.

 

“Yah Jiyong.” Now it was TOP who intervened.

 

“Stay out of this.” Jiyong said venomously, still with his eyes set on Chaerin.

 

“What? So is that your thing? Huh? around with men who have tattoos? That’s also your thing right?!” Jiyong remembered the guy he saw her with at the mall and was disgusted.

 

Bom was about to say something but then Chaerin spoke.

 

“Love?” She said full of hurt. “How could you talk about loving me if you think that way about me? How could you talk about treating me well and then say those things? You think I cheated on you??” At this point tears were just free falling from her eyes and she didn’t even bother wiping them.

 

All physical pain left her because all she felt was the burning sensation in her chest. He actually thought that low of her. He didn’t trust her. That was a hard blow.

 

“That just means you don’t trust me. I guess it’s a good thing we’re not together anymore because I’m done. There’s no point trying to chase you anymore since you think so low of me. I’m done.” She said with finality and walked past him.

 

Jiyong was stuck in his place and fear started creeping up on him.

 

I’m done.

 

Her voice kept repeating in his head. The finality in it scared him. No, she can’t. She can’t leave him. He can’t lose her.

 

He turned around to chase her but—

 

SLAP.

 

The impact was so loud that the sound resonated along the corridors.

 

“Don’t go near her again.” Bom said with venom in her voice. She turned around and left.

 

Jiyong felt the tears start to form. Was this it? Was it the end? No. it can’t be. He won’t allow it. But then he kept remembering her face as she said those words.

 

I’m done.

 

She sounded so cold. So detached. So unreachable. This was his fault. He has no one to blame but himself.

 

He was lost. He didn’t know what to do. He looked around and saw disappointed faces of his friends. All the girls left.

 

“Help me.” He sounded so weak. So fragile.

 

“You ed up. You ed up beyond repair.” Youngbae said.

 

“What do I do?” he wasn’t targeting the question to anyone. It was more to himself. He felt helpless. He desperately wanted to go after her. Chase her wherever she would go but he felt like doing that now would just push her further away from him.

 

Suddenly he turned around and looked at the door in front of him. Without thinking much of it, he opened the door harshly, effectively waking up the peacefully sleeping man on the other side.

 

“What the—“ Jay almost cursed as he was disturbed in his sleep. When his eyes adjusted, he saw the man who put him there looking straight at him.

 

“Let’s talk.” Jiyong said.

 

“Weren’t we doing that at the club?  And look where it got me?” Jay said playfully and sarcastically.

 

“Cut the crap Jay.” Jiyong said. He had no time for bull. He needed to know one thing.

 

“Where’s Chaerin?” Jay asked.

 

Jiyong ignored the urge to hit the injured man. And instead he asked what he wanted to know.

 

“Were you with Chaerin?” he asked and soon after regretted it. Did he really wanna know? His world would really crumble if he says yes.

 

“What?” Jay asked, startled. “What are you talking about?”

 

Jiyong didn’t say anything and just waited for his answer.

 

“Ahh…” Jay said in realization. He didn’t know why it was only now that it hit him that Jiyong must’ve seen them in the back alley of the club and easily misunderstood that situation. It would explain a hell lot why Jiyong was extra angry at him plus the words he said as he was beating him. “So you still don’t know?”

 

Jiyong misinterpreted this and shook his head in disbelief. He started to walk out of the room when Jay spoke again.

 

“That night…” Jiyong stopped in his tracks and looked at Jay who was looking at him dead on. “... Chaerin was harassed.” Jay continued and he saw the features in Jiyong’s face morph into different emotions.

 

“What? What do you mean harassed?” Jiyong said with a heavy heart, praying he just misheard him.

 

“A bunch of idiots got too drunk and put their hands on her.” Jay said bluntly. “The biggest idiot thought he could get lucky and dragged her away. Luckily I was in the area and saw it.”

 

Jiyong’s emotions were everywhere. He was angry. So angry that he didn’t know what to do. He wanted to skin those men.

 

“Don’t worry about it. I took care of it.” Jay said. He really did though. After what happened in the club, he asked his crew to look for those men and made sure they got the punishment they deserved. Or even more.

 

Jiyong was a bit eased by that information but he was still angry as and on top of that guilty too. For the past months he thought badly of her. He acted coldly and meanly towards her and just now he spoke so low of her when she actually had to go through something like that. It made his blood boil. He was so angry at himself he wanted to literally beat himself up. He would if he could. But what good would that do now. He had created a big mess with her. He had to fix it. He needed to fix it because he needed her. He needed her.

 

“You probably saw us there right? That’s why you’re so angry? That’s why you two broke up?” Jay said. Jiyong didn’t reply. He didn’t need to, though. “I had no intention of stealing your girl or anything like that. She was scared that time and it just so happened that I was the one there. She needed to lean on someone and I was there so naturally she leaned on me. She just experienced something traumatic so she needed a rock in her life. I thought you’d be there for her but apparently not. If I had known you weren’t gonna be there for her, I would have never left her alone in her house that night.” Jay shook his head in disappointment. “You have to get over your trust issues because she’s different. And I’m pretty sure you’ve pushed her away now. I don’t know what else to say to you but good luck.” Jay said everything he had in his mind because this would probably the last time they’d talk for this long.

 

Jiyong reflected on the words of the other. If it was another occasion he would have told him to off but now was different. He felt so ing guilty he didn’t know what to say. He didn’t know what to do once again. He was so angry. Angry at himself. Angry that he didn’t know.

 

He couldn’t help the feelings surging in him and so he cried. For the first time he cried and let all defences fall in front of the man he considered as his rival. The one he hated to the guts just moments ago.

 

 

“Where is she?” Jiyong asked once again but got no response. They were all in Youngbae’s car as they didn’t see Jiyong fit to drive on his own.

 

“I know you guys know where she is. Please. Please. I need to see her. Please.” He sounded pathetic. Desperate. He didn’t care. All he wanted was to see her. Beg on his knees for her to take him back and do anything she would ask.

 

“Ji. Just sleep it off tonight okay? Too much happened. You both need to rest.” TOP said, feeling sorry for the younger one.

 

“I can’t. I can’t sleep it off. I can’t even close my eyes! I need to see her!” Now he was just pleading helplessly.

 

“Hyung. Why don’t you go to her tomorrow? That way both of you have clear minds and—“

 

“NO! I need to see her now! You don’t understand! I can’t. I can’t lose her. I can’t…” his voice got weaker. He felt blank.

 

“So you finally know.” Youngbae said.

 

Jiyong turned his attention to him and pulled on his shoulder. “You knew?” he asked feeling betrayed. “Why didn’t you tell me?!” he was getting more violent now and the others had to restrain him since he was pulling so hard on Youngbae who was the driving.

 

“HOW COULD YOU NOT TELL ME THIS?!” Jiyong continuously shouted leaving the others wondering what he was talking about.

 

 

“Unnie. You can talk to us. You know that right?” Minzy softly said as they gazed at Chaerin’s lifeless body on the bed. She hadn’t said anything at all ever since they left the hospital. They all rode Dara’s car silently and followed her silently in her house where she directly went to lie on her bed, not saying anything, looking blank. Lifeless.

 

“I swear I’m gonna cut off his balls.” Bom murmured angrily. She didn’t like seeing Chaerin like this. She was supposed to be the strongest one among all of them and now she couldn’t even stand.

 

“I-I’m fine.” Chaerin was shocked at how she sounded. She didn’t recognize herself. “I’m fine.” She repeated more to convince herself than the others.

 

She fooled no one, however.

 

“Chaerin-ah, do you want to eat? Want me to cook my special noodles?” Bom asked in a cheery tone to get her in a better mood.

 

Chaerin sat up on her bed and looked at the three friends she cherished so much. What would she do without them? She didn’t want to think about it.

 

“Girls. I’m okay. I’m glad you’re all here.” She smiled a genuine smile at them. “I really am.”

 

“Awww. Chaerin-ah, don’t be cheesy like that. You’re making me tear up!” Dara whined and jumped on the bed with her. The other two following suit and in just a few seconds, they were all comfortably lying on Chaerin’s queen sized bed, enjoying the silence of each other’s company.

 

Not long after the three girls let their minds rest and slept. Chaerin however still couldn’t keep her eyes closed for more than 5 seconds. The look on his face. The anger in his voice. Everything was still crystal clear. She thought about their short relationship and wondered how that short time she had with him affected her this much. How he was still the one on her mind even if she said she was done. How his touch and kiss were still perfectly engraved in her soul even if those were a long time ago.

 

It mustve taken her an hour or two to finally close her eyes and sleep.

 

“NO!”

 

“Please…”

 

“You can’t go in there!”

 

“I need to see her.”

 

“Yah!”

 

“Please! I need—“

 

“How dare you even come here?! Just leave her be!”

 

The voices forced Chaerin to wake up. She didn’t want to though. She just wanted to curl up in bed all day. She didn’t even bother listening carefully. She got annoyed and opened her door, still drowsy but what she saw awakened her.

 

She saw Jiyong standing in front of Bom and Dara who were both blocking his way.

 

As soon as the door opened, Jiyong didn’t miss a single beat, he bypassed the two scary women in front of him and ran towards Chaerin.

 

“YAH KWON JIYONG!” Bom screamed but it was useless.

 

Jiyong pushed Chaerin back in her room and then closed and locked the door before the crazy unnies reach him.

 

“What are you doing?!” Chaerin said taken aback by what was happening.

 

Boog boog boog.

 

Bom beat on the door but it was no use. There was no way Jiyong was leaving without getting Chaerin back. He had to do everything he can.

 

“Open the door.” Chaerin said but not moving any closer towards him. Jiyong was just standing in front of the door looking at her. Just a few seconds ago, he was so resolved about what he was gonna do. He was so sure of what he was gonna say. But now that he had her alone, his mind went black.

 

“I said open the door, Jiyong.” Chaerin was having none of this . She took a step closer to the door but was surprised about what Jiyong did. “What’re you doing?!” Chaerin asked a bit panicked. It was the first time someone did this in front of her.

 

When Jiyong saw her going closer to open the door, he didn’t know what to do so he let his body take charge. The next thing he knew was he was on his knees in front of her.

 

“I’m so sorry Chae. I’m so so sorry.”


So sorry for the late update. But I wrote a long one so enjoy! I hope you like it! Thank you to all who are reading this. I hope I'm not disappointing you or anything. God bless!