Chapter 4

The Chasing Game

“Wow hyung, twice in two weeks! Now that’s a record.” Seungri said while clapping his hands when he saw Jiyong and Youngbae approaching them.

 

“Not only that. He actually went to all his classes this morning.” Youngbae said joining Seungri in clapping his hands.

 

“Yeah yeah.” Jiyong said as he took his usual seat beside the maknae.

 

“So what’s up hyung? Is the world ending or something? Why the sudden interest in school?” Daesung asked while munching on a corn.

 

“I’m a student. I have to go to class.” Jiyong said simply.

 

“Whoa. Never thought I’ll ever hear that from you.” TOP said.

 

“Let’s just eat guys.” Jiyong said, signalling his disinterest in talking to which the others just nodded and shrugged.

 

Jiyong’s POV

 

I’m just really not in the mood. I’m not even sure why I attended all my classes. Who am I kidding? Of course I know why.

 

Lee Chaerin.

 

I was hoping that I would have more classes with her but I didn’t.

 

Of course it has happened before, girls preferring Youngbae over me but why does it feel different now? Why am I so ing angry at my best friend when he did nothing wrong, well, aside from being the perfect guy but still. I feel like . I’m such a bad friend for feeling this way but I can’t help it. I don’t know how to ing deal with it!

 

“Damn it!” I accidentally said out loud causing Seungri to choke on his food.

 

“Hyung! What the hell?” the maknae said between coughs.

 

“Sorry.”

 

“Ji, what’s wrong?” Youngbae who sat in front of me asked.

 

I just looked at him or more like stared at him for quite a long time.

 

“Yo Ji!” he said again and snapped his fingers in front of me which caused pulled me back to the world.

 

“Oh sorry, I was just—“

 

“Ji, what’s she doing with her?” I followed where TOP hyung was looking. I blinked for a few times to make sure. Is that—

 

“Chaerin with Sohee?” Seungri said continuing the question on my mind.

 

“Whoa. They know each other? Ji, did you know this?” Youngbae asked.

 

“How the hell would I know? Yah Lee Seunghyun, I thought you said before she didn’t have friends yet or something.”

 

“Hyung, I really didn’t know they know each other. Maybe they’re just classmates or something.” Seungri said as he shrugged his shoulders.

 

. They knew each other? What else could ing go wrong? I vowed to myself a year ago to never be associated with someone Sohee was related to.

 

“Ji stop staring, they’re coming this way.” TOP said, nudging my side and I immediately looked at the food in front of us.

 

“Hi boys.” That still so familiar, soft and sweet voice said.

 

“Hmm.” I heard from the guys as an acknowledgment of their presence. And I prepared myself for what would happen next. It was always the same when she came to us. She greets them, singles me out then I would do my best to look up at her.

 

“Hi Yongie.”

 

I looked up but this time it wasn’t those big, round eyes that I saw but those cat eyes that I have been wanting to look at.

 

We locked eyes and I didn’t dare look away. I didn’t want to. I didn’t know how long we looked at each other but Sohee was the one who broke the awkward silence that formed from our silent staring.

 

“So, I came to introduce my friend Chaerin.” Sohee said. I didn’t know if she was smiling or what because I still haven’t taken my eyes off her even though she already looked away.

 

“Hi.” I saw her smile at the guys and I just wished she smiled at me.

 

I heard the others introduce themselves to her politely.

 

“We already know each other. We have a class together.” I heard Youngbae say.

 

“Really? Well that’s wonderful! It’s great because Chaerin here just came from France and she doesn’t know anyone yet so I wanted to introduce her to good people. It’s great that you already know each other, maybe you can hang out together or something.” Sohee said, sounding delighted which only made me irritated.

 

“Actually, we have that class with Jiyong too.” Youngbae added.

 

“Oh…”

 

For the first time, I looked at Sohee and I saw a disappointed face. This would be the first time I saw that face. She didn’t even look like that when we broke up.

 

“So how do you two know each other again?” I heard Seungri ask and was thankful he asked that ‘cause I wanted to know too.

 

“Oh. Chaerin and I go way back. We’re childhood friends. But she moved and now she’s back.” She said with a smile but I’ve known her long enough and I can see it. I can see through her. She’s faking it.

 

……

 

“Well, that was an eventful lunch.” TOP said as they were on their way to their own classrooms.

 

“But very awkward.” Daesung said.

 

“Indeed.” The older one responded.

 

Jiyong has been awfully quiet during the lunch period. He didn’t talk after the short ‘introduction’ and just ate his food silently.

 

“Yo Ji, you okay?” Youngbae asked.

 

“Huh? Yeah.” He curtly responded. He wasn’t. In all honesty he was very bothered. He was bothered by what just happened during lunch. It was the look on Sohee’s face that was stuck in his mind but this time it wasn’t because of affection but something else. That plastic smile, that fake friendliness. Just everything. He was bothered by it all. Why? Did he actually care about Chaerin? He doesn’t even know her that well yet. Yes, he was interested in her but caring? That’s another thing.

 

“Hyung, where are you going?” Seungri asked, curious as to why Jiyong was still with them. He would usually go to the gym or somewhere and wait for their classes to end.

 

“To class. Why?”

 

“Really? Wow.” Seungri again while clapping his hands.

 

“Shut up.” He said as he smacked the younger’s head. “Anyway, we still on for tonight right?”

 

“Yup~”

 

“Of course we are!”

 

“Yes hyung!”

 

“Okay cool. See you losers later.” Jiyong said as he entered his class. There was still a bit of time left before the class started so there were only a few people in the class and were mostly guys to which he was grateful for… but not for long.

 

“Well well, if it isn’t the great G-Dragon.” He heard from one corner of the room. He saw a group of guys sitting and at their center is none other than the person he would want to land his fist on. He clenched his fists tight, trying to control himself. Just looking at his face sets him off.

 

“What? You tired of living your rich life and actually decided to enter class?”

 

He was provoking him.

 

“Now you can’t speak too? Last time I remember, you just can’t rap.”

 

That was it.

 

“What did you say?!” Jiyong said as he held the other by the collar.

 

And as soon as he did that, the rest of the guys in the room surrounded them, ready to pounce on him upon command by the man he was holding by the collar.

 

“You still haven’t learned to fight on your own huh, Jay Park.” He hissed.

 

“If I were you, I wouldn’t fight at all, Mr. Kwon. It’s just your first day here and you’re already causing a scene.” He heard from behind him.

 

He looked back and was surprised to see the room almost full. The bell must’ve rang already.

 

“We weren’t fighting, Mr. Park. Just some friendly conversation.” Jiyong said as he removed his hand from the other’s collar and smoothened his shirt roughly.

 

“Whatever you say, Mr. Kwon.” Mr. Park casually said. He was a cool guy. They hung out once or twice before because the instructor was in the music field so they got to know each other outside the corners of the school.

 

The rest of the class already settled down and were gossiping within themselves as to what happened and regretting not coming to class earlier.

 

Jiyong sat at the far back because all the other seats were taken. There were only three seats available and he sat in the middle one, not wanting to sit beside anybody because he wasn’t in the mood. But soon enough he’ll regret that decision.

 

“I’m so sorry we’re late, Mr. Park.”

 

‘No. It can’t be.’ Jiyong froze from his movements.

 

“That’s okay Ms. Ahn. I haven’t started yet anyway. Now go look for seats… there must be some seats left… there! beside Mr. Kwon. Both his sides actually.”

 

Jiyong looked up and immediately regretted going to class. There, standing in the front, looking at him were the two girls he never wanted to see together. They were approaching him already. ‘! Think fast Jiyong!’ he decided to move to the seat beside him so he wouldn’t have to sit between them but… it was too late. He was sandwiched. This must be one of the most awkward positions he has ever been in.

 

“Hi Yongie. I didn’t know we had this class together.” He heard from his left side.

 

“That makes two of us.” He heard in a low whisper from his right side.

 

He didn’t know what to do but to look straight in front. He didn’t dare look to his left even though he could practically feel her burning holes in him with her stare. But he was casting glances to his right side, a bit hoping that the girl would look at him for even a second but she never did.

 

He tried to get her attention by ‘accidentally’ dropping his pen near her feet but she didn’t even flinch or look for even just a second. He sighed and settled back on his seat but was really annoyed by the presence on his left.

 

He thanked the gods when he heard the bell ring and before he could even get his bag, he felt the person in his right stand and walk away without even a word. He followed her with his eyes until she went out the door and he couldn’t see her anymore.

 

“So, I heard about what happened between you and Chaerin a few days ago. I’ve seen the pictures.” he heard from his left. He forgot she was even there. He decided to ignore her and walk away.

 

“What? You using her to make me jealous?” She said making him stop and turn to look at her with disgust evident in his face.

 

“Think what you want Sohee. But we both know it’s more than that.” He smirked. He wouldn’t give her the benefit of knowing that she still got in his nerves.