Chapter 3

The Chasing Game

“Unnie!” someone from behind called just as Chaerin was locking her car. She looked back and saw the red head she had wanted to see since the start of classes.

 

“Mingkki-ah!!~” she said, overly excited as she ran to the younger and enveloped her in a tight hug.

 

“Yah unnie~~ I can’t breathe” Minzy said as she lightly patted Chaerin’s back to get her to loosen up her hug.

 

“Okay okay. Sorry.” Chaerin said as she pulled away. “I missed you! Why didn’t you see me earlier huh?!” Chaerin said pretending to be hurt and angry.

 

“Aigoo this unnie~~ I’m sorry~~ I was caught up in Dance class during the first week. The instructor wanted me to make three dances and it took all my time. But that’s over now! I’ll spend time with you!” The younger said as she cheerily hooked her arms with Chaerin who just laughed at her cousin’s cuteness.

 

“How can I stay angry when you act cute like that?” Chaerin said pinching her cheeks.

 

“I know you can’t resist me. You love me too much!” Minzy said proudly earning a nudge from Chaerin. “Even though more than a week has already passed, I know you haven’t fully explored our beautiful school so I’m going to be your tour guide!” Minzy said as they went out of the shop.

 

“Yeah! Good idea. I actually just know where the parking lot, my classes and the cafeteria are.” Chaerin said laughing.

 

“Aigoo~ what would you do without me?” Minzy said playfully.

 

They continued to walk together towards the school building but unlike the other day when Chaerin was hung over, they were walking slowly, taking their precious time. Both of them didn’t have any classes yet.

 

“Okay unnie, this is where the library is, I know you’re a book worm even if it doesn’t show. You can spend your breaks here if you want and if I’m not around.” Minzy said while smiling to which Chaerin responded with a smile too. She took her time to appreciate the school’s library. It was so big. She wondered how many books were actually there. She wondered if there were any hidden places she could hang. And before she could ask any geeky questions to Minzy, she said they should get going.

 

They went to the dance rooms, gymnasium, performing halls, cafeteria and Minzy even took her to some private hangouts of the students, or more like the couples. Only after the ‘tour’ did Chaerin appreciate her new school. It was big, really big, it has nice resources, it’s clean, and she also saw many awards for the school. It was better than she expected. Her parents weren’t exaggerating after all.

 

“Okay unnie, I think that’s about it. If I remember some other place, I’ll tell you. Our last stop for today is the grounds. Let’s go to the fountain!” Minzy said, getting excited all of the sudden.

 

“Wow. Someone’s excited.” Chaerin said, amused at the younger’s reaction.

 

“What? NO!” Minzy said, suddenly getting defensive over nothing to which Chaerin just chuckled. She wanted to see what was so great about the fountain that her cousin’s getting all excited.

 

“Okay. We’re here.” Minzy said smiling. Chaerin was about to sit but Minzy already pulled her. “No. Not here. Let’s sit over there.” Minzy said, pointing to the other side of the fountain. Chaerin wondered why they had to walk around the fountain to sit when there wasn’t anybody sitting on the nearer area where they came from, but nonetheless, she still followed her cousin. She knows more about the school anyway.

 

“Here.” Minzy said, as she also pulled Chaerin to sit down.

 

“Okaaay. So what’s here? Why are you so excited to go here?” Chaerin asked.

 

“W-what? N-no I wasn’t.” Minzy said, looking around, not wanting to look at Chaerin because her cousin knows her really well, she can tell if she’s lying or not.

 

“Hmm, really? Then why is it that some guy over there is staring at you?”

 

“What? Where? Where?” Minzy said, looking around.

 

Chaerin smirked. ‘Got you’. “Oh, so there is a guy huh?”

 

“No! There’s no guy. What’re you talking about?” Minzy said while trying to laugh awkwardly and playing with her fingers.

 

“Come on Mingkki-ah. You can tell me anything.” Chaerin said as she held her hand. “But for real though. Some guy is really staring at you. It’s starting to creep me out.”

 

Minzy looked to where she always looked and saw him. He really was looking at her direction but as soon as she turned to him he looked away which just caused her to blush more.

 

“It’s no one unnie.” She said shyly.

 

“Really? Looks like he knows you or someth—“ she couldn’t continue what she was going to say because just a little to that guy’s right is someone who is looking at her.

 

“Oh my god!  Come on unnie! It’s only five minutes before the next class and I know you already have class.” Minzy said as she pulled her and started to walk really fast but Chaerin kept looking back, to where he was. He was still just looking directly at her. And even from that distance, she could see the eyes that she had seen just a few days ago… and that mole on his left cheek.

 

……

 

It was a few days after the incident in the cafeteria and Jiyong didn’t even want to go to school anymore if not for his sister waking him up so early and using his only weakness to get him to go to school.

 

“Mom would’ve wanted you to go to school and not only that but to actually attend your classes. I heard you haven’t attended any of your classes.” Dami said.

 

“I did go to class.” Jiyong groggily stood up from his bed.

 

“Oh yeah? What class then?”

 

“Music.”

 

“W-what?” Dami said a bit shocked.

 

“I’m gonna go take a shower.”

 

Dami was waiting for Jiyong at the dining table. She was still a bit shocked by what Jiyong said. He actually attended class and not only that, it was music class. Jiyong didn’t want anything to do with music. Well, not music per se but making music. Ever since their mother died, he said he won’t make music anymore.

 

“Hey.” Jiyong said as he sat down and started to put food on his plate.

 

“Hey, so dad left very early today—“

 

“I don’t care.” Jiyong said as he stuffed his mouth with food.

 

“Ji… come on now. It’s been a year since—“

 

“Please stop before I lose my appetite.” He said while loudly putting down his spoon and fork.

 

“Okay, okay. Let’s just eat then.” Dami said, not wanting to aggravate his brother more.

 

They had an awfully quiet meal together but that wasn’t unusual.

 

“I’m going now… sorry about earlier noona.” Jiyong said before he hurriedly exited their home.

 

Dami just smiled as she watched her brother get in his car and drive off.

 

‘My kind brother is still there somewhere.’

 

……

 

“Hi Chaerin.” Jiyong just arrived at school and was delighted to see a familiar car that parked beside him.

 

Chaerin sighed but responded as she still owed the guy a thank you. “Hi Mr. Kwon” she said as they started to walk towards their building.

 

“Whoa, what’s up with that? You make me feel old.” Jiyong said, chuckling but receiving no reaction from the other party.

 

“Oookay. So it seems like we’re going to class together.” Jiyong said as he smiled at her.

 

She stopped, looked at him and raised an eyebrow. “You? Going to class? Why bother? You’ve attended class like once in almost two weeks.”

 

“So you kept tabs on me huh? I knew it. You like me.” Jiyong said, smiling widely as he felt a small flutter within him.

 

“Please. Don’t flatter yourself.” Chaerin said while raising one hand in front of him. She couldn’t wait to get to their classroom and have her peace and quiet but they weren’t even near the building doors. ‘Why does this school have to be so big?!!’

 

“Ask Youngbae.”

 

“What?”

 

“You asked why this school is big.” Jiyong said as he opened the door for her. Chaerin mentally smacked herself. She said it out loud. Stupid.

 

“So ask Youngbae.”

 

“What? Why?” Chaerin said confused.

 

“Because they own this place.” Jiyong said nonchalantly but Chaerin’s reaction was totally different from his. She was shocked by that piece of information. Youngbae owns this school? WHOA.

 

“What? You didn’t know?”

 

Chaerin just shook her head. They were at the classroom door already but before they entered, Jiyong stood in front of her with an expression that Chaerin wasn’t familiar with. “See you around Miss Lee.” he said as he placed some papers in her hand then he entered.

 

She looked at it and they were… notes? It wasn’t the best handwriting but it was readable. She looked at the date on the paper and it was earlier the week. Those were the notes when she slept through the class.

 

 

Jiyong saw it. Her expression when he mentioned Youngbae, her slight stutter, the spark in her eyes. He’s seen it all before so he’s familiar with those but unfortunately this time they weren’t for him but for his best friend. He smiled bitterly as he sat next to Youngbae.

 

‘She likes him.’


Hi! I just want to thank everybody who subscribed and also those who are reading this :) To those who are reading my other story, Scared To Death, I'm still working on its final chapter/s :) You can check it out on my stories if you're interested for another SkyDragon story. Thank you again!