Chapter 14

The Chasing Game

“See you guys tomorrow!” Youngbae said. He was the third to the last one to be dropped off and now there was only Chaerin and Jiyong in the van plus Jiyong’s driver of course. The others were dropped off earlier after their dinner.

 

Jiyong transferred to the seat beside Chaerin because they weren’t seated beside each other during the ride thanks to Chaerin’s extreme skills in avoiding him.

 

“Hey…” he asked gently trying to gauge her reaction.

 

“Hmm…” She responded not even turning to look at him. She was looking at the passing trees, buildings and road. She didn’t know what to say right now. It all just felt so weird.

 

“So just like that? You won’t even talk to me?” Jiyong said a bit irritated by her attitude at that moment.

 

Silence.

 

“So that’s how it is huh?” Jiyong ran his hand through his hair out of frustration. He was getting pissed with every silent second that passed by.

 

“Uncle, can you stop at the next block? My house is near anyway. I can walk.” Chaerin couldn’t take the tension inside the car anymore.

 

“No, don’t stop. Take us to her address.” Jiyong said coldly. “If you don’t wanna talk to me, fine. But I’m not letting you walk in the streets alone at a time like this.” That should be enough to tug a girl’s heart but not at a time like this and definitely not with the tone that Jiyong just used. He was so cold and pissed. A very bad combination.

 

“Thanks.” Chaerin mumbled as she awkwardly got out of the car but Jiyong just closed the door not even sparing her a look.

 

……

 

“Hi grim face.” TOP said when Jiyong and Youngbae approached their table.

 

“I wouldn’t…” Youngbae mouthed to the older while shaking his head.

 

“What happened?” TOP mouthed back but Youngbae just shrugged his shoulders. No one knew what happened. Ever since they got back from the amusement park Mr. Kwon Grim Face was all over the place and it has been four days since then.

 

“We should go to Sky Lounge tonight. We all passed the exams! Woohoo. One term down!” Seungri excitedly said to the others. Unlike Jiyong who had been Mr. Gloomy the past days, he was all smiles. Him and Yuri really hit if off after their Ferris wheel ride.

 

“Yeah. Let’s do that. I’ll call Bom.” TOP said already fishing out his phone. They officially just became a couple yesterday.

 

“I’m in.” Youngbae said, inwardly grinning like a maniac. He was totally happy. Because now he would see Dara again. She told him she worked with Chaerin at the bar when they were up in their own cubicle in the Ferris wheel.

 

“I just texted Minzy. I’m totally excited.” Daesung said smiling like a fool at his phone. The wallpaper was a picture of him and Minzy up in the air during the Ferris wheel ride.

 

Jiyong cursed them all in his mind. ‘How could they be so happy? Damn it!’

 

“I’m not going.” He said.

 

“What? Why?!” Seungri whined. “Come on hyung. It won’t be the same without you.”

 

“Oh shut up. You all have dates anyway. You won’t even know I’m not there.” He sounded so bitter right now.

 

“Yah Jiyong. Of course we’ll notice. Come on, whatever your problem is. it up like a dude.” TOP said. “You won’t tell us what it is so I’m guessing you could solve it on your own.” He was actually a bit pissed that Jiyong still hasn’t confided in them about his problem. He wanted to know so that he could help if he can but the younger isn’t saying anything. Even to Youngbae.

 

“Come on Ji. It’ll be fun.” Youngbae tried to convince him. He really wanted Jiyong to have some fun.

 

“Fine. Whatever. But I’ll just meet you guys there.” Jiyong stood up and left the table without even bothering to say good bye to them.

 

……

 

His eyes automatically turned to the bar as soon as he entered the club and felt his heart drop for the nth time. He was really hoping to see Chaerin tonight but was disappointed to see it was Dara serving the bar.

 

“Hyung! You came!” Seungri said excitedly as he met Jiyong with a hug.

 

“Yeah yeah.”

 

They all fist-bumped and went back to their conversations with each other. Jiyong noticed there was an added sofa to their place. Well, maybe it was to accommodate the 3 girls sitting with them.

 

TOP and Bom were cuddling in one area, Minzy and Daesung were taking photos together and Seungri and Yuri were sitting together innocently maybe trying to get to know each other more. Leaving him and Youngbae as the loners tonight.

 

“So, how are you?” Youngbae casually asked as he took a sip of what looked like brandy.

 

“Fine.” Jiyong said uninterestedly, he was now beginning to regret his decision of coming here.

 

“Mhmm.”

 

“I’m not.” Jiyong said defeated.

 

“What happened?” They were talking so casually and normally that it seemed they were talking about trivial stuff but Youngbae knew this was something serious.

 

Jiyong didn’t respond for a while, contemplating if he should tell or not and what would he say anyway? He kissed her and now she’s ignoring him?

 

He sighed again but decided to let it out. “I kissed her.”

 

“Oh?” Youngbae tried to sound very casual. He knew that if he reacted just a millimetre over the normal scale, Jiyong would immediately shut up.

 

“Yeah. In the ferris wheel.” Jiyong said, now taking a sip of vodka which was probably Seungri’s but he didn’t care.

 

“Ahh. Then?”

 

“Then nothing. Now, she’s ignoring me. I haven’t seen her since I dropped her off in front of her house.” Jiyong drank everything left in the glass.

 

“Have you tried texting or calling her?”

 

“No.” Jiyong said. He knew his pride was what was stopping him to do so but in all fairness though he hasn’t even looked at his phone for four days.

 

“I see.” Youngbae said, not pushing him to do so. He knows Jiyong is very prideful and he’s the type of guy that won’t do something you push him to do. He has to want to do it and Youngbae knows he wants to call her. It’s just his stupid pride.

 

Jiyong groaned in frustration. “I don’t know what to do.” he covered his face with his palms and leaned his head on the back rest of the sofa.

 

“You know what to do Ji. Just swallow your pride.” Youngbae said, standing up. “I’m going to the bar. Want a drink?”

 

He didn’t need to hear his response. He’s sure he needed a drink.

 

 

“Hi.”

 

“Hey.” Dara said cheerily, walking in front where Youngbae stood. “What can I get you?”

 

“A bottle of vodka.”

 

“A bottle?” Dara raised her eyebrow.

 

“Yeah.” He pointed over to their table for Dara to see a slumped Jiyong blankly staring at the ceiling.

 

“That bad huh?” Dara said, wiping the bottle of vodka to give to him.

 

Youngbae nodded. “So uhh. What time’s the end of your shift?” He said trying to hide the sudden nervousness creeping in.

 

“Oh… uhh... I think I still have an hour left? I’m not sure since CL isn’t coming in tonight.” Dara said, looking at her watch.

 

“Ohhh. CL?”

 

“Chaerin.” Dara smiled and gave him the bottle.

 

“Oh. About her. Has she spoken to you about anything? I mean, after we went to the amusement park? Did she say anything? The reason why she isn’t coming in tonight?” Youngbae wanted to know because he desperately wants to help his best friend who he hasn’t seen like this for a long time.

 

“Uhmm. Well, she didn’t say anything except that she had some things to do and I owe her anyway so we’re all good.”

 

“Ahh. I see. Okay then. Thanks. Oh and if you want you can come to our table when your shift ends.” He said smiling shyly at her.

 

“Okay.” Dara mirrored his dazzling smile.

 

 

“Here.”

 

Jiyong looked down to see a shot glass in front of him. He took it and drank it all. “Thanks.”

 

“Oookay.” Youngbae said as he drank his shot too. He actually wanted a ‘cheers’ but Jiyong just drank his immediately, leaving him hanging.

 

“One more.” Jiyong said and now it was Seungri who poured the drink for him. He took it and once again downed it all.  “Another.” He said again to the younger one with eyes you wouldn’t dare say no to. Jiyong took drank the shot again.

 

“We’ll go dance.” Seungri said immediately so he wouldn’t be compelled to let his hyung drink the night away.

 

“Yeah.” Daesung immediately said, hurriedly going to the dance floor where Minzy and Yuri are.

 

Jiyong took the bottle and started pouring his shot again. He wasn’t drunk yet but he wanted to be. He wanted to forget his desperate, pathetic state right now and this was the only way.

 

After his seventh shot, he gave it a rest and leaned back again on the sofa. He waited for the shots to take effect and it was taking such a long time so he poured one after another drink and downed it all.

 

“That’s enough Ji.” TOP said authoritatively.

 

“What? No. Come on hyung. Let’s drink. That’s why we’re here right?” Jiyong said now pouring a drink for him, TOP and Youngbae.

 

“That’s enough.” TOP said again, showing he wouldn’t give in to the younger.

 

“Okay then. More for me.” Jiyong said now taking what was supposedly TOP’s drink.

 

“Aish!” TOP grabbed the glass and drank it.

 

Youngbae followed suit and drank both his and Jiyong’s shot.

 

“Yaaa~~ that was mine!” Jiyong whined as he attempted to punch Youngbae but failed when he hit the sofa instead.

 

“You drank too much.” Youngbae said, helping his friend sit up again.

 

“Nooo. Not enough.” Jiyong said as he swiftly grabbed the bottle and downed what was left of it. TOP immediately grabbed the bottle from him but it was a bit too late since it was almost empty.

 

“Aish! This kid, really!” he muttered loudly.

 

Jiyong was grinning like a maniac while his head was laid back on the sofa’s backrest. “You knooow, you guysss shouldn’t date. Just noooo. Save yourswelves from the hurt.” He said with eyes closed and his hands in fists.

 

“You really drank a lot Ji.” Youngbae said. He just ordered water for Jiyong to try to lessen the hangover which he was sure to have tomorrow.

 

“Nooo. It’s not enough. I still feel. It still hurts.” He said while pointing to his chest area. “And you know what’s more pathetic? We’re not even in a relationship and I’m already in too deep.” He chuckled bitterly and started muttering unintelligible words.

 

“Alright. That’s enough for you Jiyong. Let’s get you home. Hyung, I’ll be back.” Youngbae said.

 

“Can you do it alone?” TOP asked, concerned for his friends.

 

“Easy peasy.” He said. “But I have to go to the rest room first.”

 

“Yeah. I’ll go and tell the others too. I’m sure Jiyong wouldn’t leave anyway.” TOP said.

 

They both nodded and proceeded on their way leaving an almost asleep Jiyong on the couch.

 

 

Youngbae looked everywhere but he couldn’t spot him. “JI!” he tried shouting but to no success. The loud music was eating up his words.

 

“Did you find him?” He asked a bit panicked and Seungri just shook his head. They all tried to look for him in the entire club but it was close to impossible since it was body to body. There were too many people. Dara also already informed the bouncers and club workers to inform her if they see him a round. They were familiar with their group because they were regulars at the club and they were too fine to not notice.

 

“!” he cursed.

 

“He isn’t in the rest rooms. I checked all.” Daesung said.

 

“Where the hell is that guy?!” TOP was getting frustrated with each second that passed. He looked at his watch. It’s been almost an hour since they last saw him and he didn’t try to contact them.

 

“I’ll call him again.” Youngbae said, trying to be as calm as possible. They all headed out of the club to have a more quiet space.

 

Youngbae put the phone in speaker. They all looked at the phone and waited for it to be answered.

 

Ring. Ring. Ring.

 

“Hello?” A female voice answered.

 

“Pudong?” Bom asked with a confused face.