Chapter 1

The Chasing Game

“” she muttered as she rushed out of her car and looked at the gold Rolex watch hugging her wrist. A week had passed since school started and this would be the first time she would be late if she was caught. She didn’t intend to be late but she overslept because of a late night.

 

She walked fast, almost jogging, silently cursing at their big school because it took a long walk to just enter the school building from the parking lot and she was already running late. For the past week she was totally fine with her new school’s wide area because she could walk freely and think but right now was a different situation.

 

She ignored all the other students she passed by because she was determined in getting to her class on time. She might’ve jumped over a railing or two but she couldn’t care less. She was wearing leather skinny jeans anyway so nothing would be exposed. By her standards, she was totally underdressed today. Just a large Hood By Air sweater, a pair of leather skinnies and her Adidas sneaker wedge. Well, she didn’t have any time to beautify herself anymore because she went directly to school after bathing and changing. She didn’t even put on any make-up, which was really rare. So instead, she wore big sunnies to cover her eyes which still showed signs of her late night.

 

“Please don’t let me be late… please… please” she silently repeated as she neared her room. Seeing as the door is still open, her hopes went up, she thought that their instructor wasn’t there yet. She slowly approached the room while cautiously looking left and right, just in case their instructor appeared. She was quite sure she was safe in entering but as soon as she set foot inside the room, she heard a clap and was surprised to see their instructor near the door almost as if she was there to catch her.

 

She sighed loudly. Now, she had been caught. She was trying to have a clean record but now it might have a little stint on it.

 

“Good morning Miss Lee! Almost. Tsk tsk. You almost made it. But I guess almost is never enough huh.” Her instructor said sarcastically which caused some of her classmates to giggle. Chaerin just rolled her eyes. But of course her instructor couldn’t see it because of the dark, large glasses covering almost half her face. She might’ve laughed at the statement too in any other given day but not today. Her head was still spinning like crazy.

 

“Sit down and remove your sunglasses so we can start” the instructor said as she too proceeded to the front of the class. But before Chaerin could move she felt a weight on her shoulder, she looked and saw an unfamiliar hand, with lots of rings, holding her then she looked at the person beside her and the first thing she saw was a small mole on his cheek. She didn’t know him. She was about to shrug his hand off but he held her tighter and spoke “I’m sorry for making Chaerin late. I borrowed her notes earlier so I could copy it that’s why she was a bit late.” The guy said, looking at their instructor who looked surprised.

 

“Here, Chaerin, your notes.” The guy said, releasing her shoulder and showing a few pieces of paper in front of her which she mindlessly took. The guy smiled at her which should have made her melt right there but her head was aching too much to dwell on it. But she definitely heard whispering and giggling from the class even with her pounding head.

 

“Wow, so nice of you to join us Mr. Kwon. I guess I should feel honoured since I believe this is the first class you entered even though classes started a week ago.” The instructor said with just a bit of amusement.

 

“Of course. I love this subject…” he trailed off remembering he didn’t even know what subject this was. Then he heard the girl beside him whisper ‘Music’ “right Music! So please Miss Kim, let this one slide for me and Chaerin?” he finished his sentence while smiling sweetly, earning an amused look from their instructor.

 

“Of course you do Mr. Kwon. Okay, because we are graced with your presence and because Chaerin lent you her notes, I would let this go. Now, the two of you find your seats so we can start the class. You’ve taken up enough time.”

 

Chaerin was confused. Who was this guy? But she didn’t have the energy to think about it. She still felt drained. She only had about three hours of sleep and she was having a headache. She decided to sit at the far back, in the corner where the windows were. She needed the air. She didn’t bother removing her sunglasses, remembering that she didn’t have any makeup on and her eyes were still probably sunken.

 

She couldn’t wait for this class to be over. She wanted to go back to her car and nap for a bit. She looked at the papers that the guy from earlier handed her. Of course she was sure it wasn’t her notes, she didn’t lend him her notes, hell she didn’t even know the guy!

 

She smoothened the papers and saw that they were music sheets but they were blank. She flipped through the first two pages and there was nothing on it but on the last page she saw “Lee Chaerin, try not to be late next time –Ji” written in big, messy letters.

 

Chaerin scrunched her forehead. ‘Who does this guy think he is?’ She crumpled the paper and threw it at the bin near her and decided to sleep because her hangover is getting the best of her.

 

……

 

It was another normal day. Jiyong was with his friends on the campus grounds just hanging out. Jiyong and Youngbae were talking to each other about what they did over the weekend, TOP was being his usual cool self,  sitting like a gentleman in one of the benches, beside him was Daesung, writing some notes while Seungri was sitting beside Jiyong and Youngbae.

 

They were enjoying their rare moments of not being watched by lots of people, especially ladies. It was not new to them, being chased by women. They got used to the attention but it was always a bit uncomfortable at times.

 

Jiyong and Youngbae met first. Since they were the same age, they had same classes together and they just clicked. They were like soul mates. Ever since they met, they haven’t separated. They met TOP after a year. He was a transferee from abroad that’s why he was delayed, making him a part of their batch even if he was a year older. Meeting TOP was something different. They didn’t get along at the beginning. They had differences since TOP was what you could call odd. He was also a big kid so he didn’t have much friends but because of Youngbae’s kind heart, they took him in as a new friend and after sometime, they got used to each other and came to like each other more than they thought. Then before they entered high school, they met Seungri who was Jiyong’s younger cousin. They were close, yes, but they didn’t see each other that much when they were younger since they went to different schools but Seungri’s parents decided to transfer him to Legacy University and as loyalty to blood, of course, Jiyong took him as a part of their group and surprisingly they clicked. Daesung was the last addition to their crew. TOP took a liking to him when he saw him save a girl from a group of bullies when they were in high school. He immediately informed the others that he wanted to take him as part of their circle and no one rejected. They were all mesmerized by his angelic smile. They might not have everything in common, but their differences are what balance them to be great friends.

 

“Eight!!!” Seungri shouted when a girl in a very short skirt and fitted tank top walked past them.

 

“Yah! Stop that!” Youngbae said as he smacked the maknae’s head.

 

“Ouch! Hyung, why did you slap me? You were rating her too! All of you were!” Seungri complained while he held his head.

 

“Yeah, but we were doing it discreetly, not shouting it out for everyone to hear. And by the way, she was a six at most, considering she’s kind and all.” Jiyong said as he looked at his watch. There was only fifteen minutes left before the first class. Not that he cared anyway, but his best friend did.

 

“You have very high standards hyung.” Seungri said while ‘tsking’.

 

“Youngbae, it’s almost time. You should head to class.” Jiyong said, ignoring the youngest, as he nudged his friend. Youngbae looked at his watch and saw the time.

 

“Thanks bro. But you know, I think you should attend class already. It’s been a week and you haven’t entered any of our classes.” Youngbae said as he picked up his bag and prepared to leave. Only Youngbae and well, Jiyong too, had class that time.

 

“Yeah Ji, we know you think you don’t need any of those classes but you actually need to attend class in order to pass and graduate.” TOP said as he adjusted his sunglasses. He looked like a god right now, with the sun shining on him and all. He was now the total opposite of the chubby, insecure kid they knew when they were younger.

 

“Go Youngbae, you’ll be late.” Jiyong said, shrugging them off. He really didn’t feel like going to class and they were right, he really believed that he doesn’t need those classes. For him, grades and studying are useless if you can’t do well in the real world. They were in college already and he doesn’t believe that getting high grades would ensure you a bright future. It’s how you live in the real world.

 

“Okay then, I’ll just hand you my notes if you need them, but you probably don’t. I’ll go now, see you guys later.” Youngbae said as he left, showing a peace sign as he walked towards the building of his class. He and Jiyong shared almost all their classes but Jiyong didn’t even bother going to them, so Youngbae just got him informed on who their classmates and teachers are.

 

“Yah, Daesung, are you still not done writing your notes?” TOP asked the guy sitting beside him since he hasn’t said anything since they arrived there. Hearing no response, he looked at him and saw him staring at his phone. TOP abruptly grabbed his phone and looked at what he was staring at.

 

“Who’s this?” TOP asked, trying to recognize the girl in the screen. It was a candid shot, or a stolen one, should he say of a cute girl who was reading a book.

 

“Yah hyung!” Daesung said then he took back his phone and put it in his pocket, silently wishing his friends wouldn’t .

 

“Gong Minzy…” said Seungri as he took the paper in front of Daesung and read the name on top.

 

“YAH!” Daesung shouted as he grabbed it and placed all his things inside his bag, not caring if the papers got crumpled.

 

“Ahhh, Gong Minzy, the cute girl in the Dance Department! Rumor has it she twerks real good.” Seungri said with a playful tone, earning him a smack from Daesung.

 

“Shut up.” Daesung said.

 

“Is she your girlfriend?” Jiyong asked, becoming interested in the topic since this would be the first time in a long time that the angel in their group showed interest in someone.

 

“No!” Daesung replied a bit too loud.

 

“Oh but you want her to be.” TOP chimed in playfully while raising his eyebrow.

 

“Wait. Who’s that?” Jiyong said, completely distracted from their conversation by a blonde whom he saw was scampering towards the school building. He watched her as she jumped over the railings which made him chuckle since he didn’t know any girl who would do that, especially in public.

 

“Ahhh. That’s Lee Chaerin, 20 years old, from your batch, new student. She just transferred this semester, no friends yet as of this time but totally understandable since it’s just the first week of school.” Seungri said surely, as if they knew each other.

 

“How do you know that?” TOP asked while raising his eyebrow at the youngest.

 

“What doesn’t he know about the hot girls here?” Daesung said, glad that they weren’t teasing him anymore.

 

“True true.” TOP said, waving a hand dismissively.

 

“So she’s new huh, but why haven’t I seen her before? She’s kinda hard to miss.” Jiyong said quietly, mostly talking to himself but of course the maknae heard it.

 

“It’s because you don’t enter your classes. You know, I think you actually have your first class with her. She usually arrives like 30 minutes before the bell rings but it looks like she’s late today. No wonder she isn’t dressed well.” Seungri said casually as if it was normal for him to know that much about a girl he doesn’t even really know.

 

“Wow. You could be a professional stalker, Ri.” Daesung said.

 

“Yeah. You can make money out of your hobby.” TOP said.

 

“Tsk. I’m just a good observer.” Seungri defended himself.

 

“More like a creepy stalker.” Daesung mumbled.

 

‘She isn’t dressed well?’ Jiyong begged to differ. She was actually dressed pretty well, that coming from a fashionista that he is. She was dressed simply but she seemed to really pull off the look even though it would have looked basic on somebody else. Maybe it was the way she carried herself? Jiyong wasn’t sure but one thing he’s sure about is she caught his attention and that was something because it had been a long time since someone did.

 

 

“Yah Ji! Where are you going?” TOP shouted at Jiyong who was running towards the school building.

 

“I’m going to class!” he replied as he carefully and easily jumped over benches, railings and tables that were on the way.

 

“Whoa. Ji hyung is finally going to class.” Daesung said, amazed at the sight he was seeing. It was the first time they saw Jiyong actually rushing to attend a class.

 

TOP shook his head. “He isn’t really going to class for the sake of it, Dae.”


Thanks for subscribing with just the short foreword. I hope I won't disappoint you with this story :)