[이]

Before February
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

{Two}

Pyongyang, North Korea, Febuary 2014

"You can do this Do Kyungsoo," Kyungsoo pulled on the strings on his jacket as he stared back at his reflection in the mirror. It was six in the morning, he had an hour until he had to make his way to Pyongyang port. The first thing he thought about when he woke up was the hesitation that was inside him, did he really want to go to the South? Truthfully, all the worst case scenarios kept playing over and over again in Kyungsoo's mind, what if something went wrong? That was when all the memories of yesterday about Hakyeon and his father occupied his mind.

Encountering them in the South was likely, if they were going to be living in Seoul.

"No, don't think about what happened yesterday. The past is the past, what's done has been done," He pointed to his reflection, "They'll all regret messing with me, with my life..." His gaze lowered down to the floor.

There was no escape from those loan sharks. Even if Kyungsoo was somewhere far away, he bet they could've still tracked him down. There was no way they were going to suffer losing such a big amount of money, that was the problem. 500 million won- the most bizzare amount he had ever heard in his life. Not to mention, he OWED them the money. One year seemed like an insufficient amount of time to gather that amount.

Kyungsoo sighed before he slung his backpack containing everything he would need over his shoulders. When he reached the living room, the framed family photo was still in the same postion. It was still faced down, just how he had left it yesterday. He made his way over to the television, taking the photo frame in his hands. His family had taken it when he was about seven, when things hadn't gone so dramatic. Kyungsoo sat on his mother's lap, all smiles while his father stood by her, smiling as well. It was just a photo full of happiness, although there was a dull background. At that time, it seemed like nothing could break their happiness, but that wasn't true.

But... sometimes it's okay to be reminded about your memories. I guess... I can't reallly completely run away from them now... Kyungsoo stuffed the photo frame in his bag and took a last look around the shabby apartment where the last few sorrowful events took place. Once he turned the doorknob, he took a step back in surprise at the two men from yesterday in front of his doorstep. How they had gotten here so early, he didn't know.

"I'm not running away," Kyungsoo said, "So why do you guys have to be here anyway?"

"One, because there's a posiblity. Two, because we're here to you," The man with sunglasses answered.

"Let's get going. Time is precious, and before you know it, you might be kneeling on the ground with blood all over your body."

 

 

Nampo port was filled with boats, mostly for goods, and for people waiting to escape. It was unknown to the government that they were planning rides to help the people get out. Kyungsoo was lucky to get the last boat of goods heading to the South. There wouldn't be anymore until the next six months. There were people of all ages : children, businessmen, the elderly et cetera. It made Kyungsoo realise how many people didn't like this place just as much as he didn't. They had big suitcases, which made him think twice about bringing a bigger bag. It was too late now.

As of today, his life was going to take a giant turn. This was where everything was going to start.

Kyungsoo clenched and unclenched his fists as he bit on his lower lip. He was unsure if his heart beated rapidly because of the excitedness or the nervousness. It was most likely both though. Then his eyes peeked at the two men dressed formally, even at seven in the morning. They just stood there, looking at the boat that was going to take him out of this place. 

"Passengers!" One of the men got off the boat and called, "We are now ready to board!"

Just as everyone had started to board, the two men approached Kyungsoo. They overtowered him with their height and unfazed looks, it felt as if he was looking at robots disguised as humans. 

"There's only one thing we need to tell you before you set off. Good luck. This isn't just any task, you're the first person that interests out boss so much, we might as well tell you that," The man with sunglasses said, with his partner nodding beside him.

"Thanks? I guess," Kyungsoo didn't know if their boss being interested in him was something special, but maybe he would give a chance to lower the debt. There was nothing interesting the boy saw about himself though. He had a ty past, and a miserable life while everyone had at least one person there for them. All the people Kyungsoo had put all his truth in to were all gone, spreaded around the South in regions he didn't even know about. No one stayed all the way with him during his times of turmoil, not even Hakyeon.

"Well... I'll be going now- Since they might kick me out if I'm too late," He gestured his head to the boat, turning around without even waving back at the two men. They were complete strangers, they didn't need a goodbye from someone who owed them so much money enough for their boss to go in to bankruptcy.

The seagulls started to squawk before the bells started to signal the boat departure. Kyungsoo took a seat far away from the other passengers, he wanted to be alone. The boat wasn't all that spacious, but he could distance himself enough to not make contact with other people. Because apparently his face looked like he could murder someone. His classmates used to for looking like he was plotting a murder plan with that glare of his, he was glad he wouldn't see any of those jerks anymore.

Kyungsoo didn't bother to look out at the mesmerising blue scenery or notice how the morning sea breeze would carress it's hands against his hair. He was sure the two men with the formal suits were gone. 

 

 

"You know," An elderly lady on board started the gossiping, "I waited seven years to finally get on this boat! I kept on asking everyday, but they would always say the slots were full! But now, I can move freely... they say the South's got delicacies everyone's dreamed'f!"

Some children on board surrounded the lady, they looked eager to hear her stories. Actually everyone on board was interested because they were going to be on this boat for the next few hours. Kyungsoo, however, tried to keep himself concentrated by trying to doze off. 

But the lady's stories were fascinatingly alluring, he had found himself eavesdropping without being noticed by the other kids. An hour in the ride and they'd already started making rumours about him. Like how he could've been a deadly assassin sent to spy in the South. Yeah stuff like that.

"I've heard that the girls there are gorgeous! Long wavy hair, some with chubby cheeks, some look like models with slim figures, straight out from one'f those magazines- And them men, lots of amazing hairstyles they must have!" There must really some hot girls there then. I wonder...

"The buildings are gigantic, and developed! Unlike our city which is full of old shabby buildings, Seoul's full of bustling city life. And there aren't any statues of those fat pillocks!" Kyungsoo had to bite back a laugh at the insult the old lady had made to the 'supreme leaders' of the North. If she had been caught shouting that in public, then her head would be chopped off.

"Mister," Kyungsoo felt a tug on his sleeve before he turned his head to be greeted by a little boy, "Are you really a spy?"

"What... me?" He pointed at himself with wide eyes, "No. I'm not a spy, neither am I an assasin- And it's hyung, to you. I don't look that old."

The little boy's mouth turned in to an 'O', but he asked again, "Then what are you escaping for?" He sealed his small lips, but opened them again to softly whisper, "Hyung..."

"It's a long story, which you probably won't understand. Let's just say my life's not as great as yours. Once you get to the South, you'll spend your whole life there. And of course, you'll never come back here. You'll be living a happy life at an age like this, but I wonder why I never thought of escaping sooner when I had the chance. For me, I'm here because I owe people a lot of money- but I don't really owe them,  it's just... like I'm... paying for someone else," Kyungsoo said.

"Owe lots of money, like tens n' thousands of won? As in you borrowed them from your friends or so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter