[십팔]

Before February
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

{EIGHTEEN}

Month 02 Day 12

The past few weeks were full of relaxation, childish antics, and playful thoughts. Before they knew it, the first week of April was already gone, and Saturday greeted them with open arms. Almost everything had been settled by then. Xiumin and Luhan were kind enough to offer Sehun a place to stay at their rented apartment, since they didn't live in the dorms. Minjae was still treating Kyungsoo the same by sticking next to him whenever he was alone, it was clear she was unbothered by the fact that he was still the leader of a gang. But overall, you could say that it was as if he was living a joyous life.

However, there was of course, just one thing that ruined it all : The debt.

Kyungsoo trudged down the stairs exasperatedly once he remembered how much he still owed, ruffling his hair as he glanced around the living room of Chanyeol's place. The giant was seated comfortably on the couch, oggling at the girl group's that were performing on TV. He made his way to the kitchen, opening the fridge to only find a carton of milk present in it. 

God, this guy never bothers to refill the food in his fridge. Why buy one if you're never going to stock up on ingredients? Shaking his head, he placed the carton on the kitchen counter and took out a glass cup. He had no other choice, this was the only edible thing in his fridge, apart from the cup noodles stored in the cupboard. He was definitely not going to have those for breakfast, eventhough he found the taste of them heavenly.

"Oh, you're up?" He heard Chanyeol shout from the living room, finally noticing that he was there instead of gluing his eyes on the television screen. There were loud foosteps coming to the kitchen, but Kyungsoo didn't mind and continued to pour his milk.

"Is there anything to eat?" The giant appeared from the living room with his hair stuck out in various directions, eyelids half open. Kyungsoo could've sworn his eyes weren't like that when he saw him earlier. 

"Does it look like there is?" He opened the fridge for it's owner to see for himself.

"Crap... I forgot to buy food again," Chanyeol sat down on one of the chairs next to the kitchen counter, slamming his head on it lightly in despair, "We've been so busy, we were practically been living on takeouts, snacks and noodles."

"Maybe if--"

"Oh hey! Did you hear?" Kyungsoo unamusedly turned his head to Chanyeol, not quite happy that he'd interrupted him when he was making a suggestion which could possibly save them from starvation. He continued, "I heard Winner were suspended from their school, and if they continue that again, they're going to be expelled. Serves them right, they could've killed us with that knife their crazy leader was holding!"

"Why don't they just go to for rehabilitation instead," He told him with no interest, gulping down the last drops of his milk. He wanted more to take his mind off that day, but he realised there wasn't anymore milk left. 

"I don't know, I think they're going to be sent for that too," Chanyeol told him uneasily, "You know... Because ever since they lost their 100 million won, they've been going a little..." He made imaginary circle beside his head, giving Kyungsoo a weird look to indicate that those boys had gone crazy. They were almost too agressive from the start, so he kind of expected them to act that way. That wasn't the end of Chanyeol's endless worries, because he continued to tell him, "But what if we get called by the principal? Everyone's been talking about it in school, and it's so obvious we were the ones who were last seen with them! We're going to get in so much trouble--"

Out of irritation, Kyungsoo slammed the milk carton on the table. The giant jolted in surprise, looking at the boy with wide eyes. He partly mad at him for talking so much and making him think about the worse that was likely to come for them, which was being sent to the principal's office. But he was also mad because of Winner, he wanted to punch all of them again. The image of his friends getting injured that day, he didn't want to picture it in his mind anymore.

"So? Why does it matter if we get in trouble by the principal? Those bastards were the ones that asked first, and we didn't want to look like cowards... so we just accepted them," He took angry steps to the staircase, it was going to be unfair if they were put in the negative light "I'm going to wash up. And Park Chanyeol, instead of watching your girl groups, go restock on the milk and food." The thought of the milk running out was enough to put him in a bad mood. 

"Milk? You're not going to get any taller than that, Do Kyungsoo!" He heard Chanyeol snicker mischieviously, enjoying the fun he was having teasing him.

"Shut up!"

"Also, today is the day of Sehun's birthday! Luhan said there was going to be a party at his from three to ten, it's just the seven of us!" Chanyeol shouted, referring to Baekhyun, and the rest, including Minjae, "We'll head there later, so make sure to get him a present!"

"Present? You've got to be kidding me," Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. He was never good at picking presents for anyone, and the last time he'd been to a birthday party was when he was eight. Now, birthdays almost seemed foreign to him. Maybe it was going to be a blast, he hadn't been to one in so long anyway. The thought of Go Minjae being there also triggered some small feeling inside him. What the heck has gotten in to you, Do Kyungsoo? You kind of feel like going just because she is? This place is changing you more and more as the days pass...

 

 

Kyungsoo glanced at his watch every few minutes, leaning against a lamp post in a crowded area. He looked around the crowded place, since it was a weekened and all, people took Saturday as the best day for leisure. 

"Where is she?" He murmured to himself, the worry was starting to take over him little by little. As every minute passed, it was starting to grow bigger. If she's going to be this late, then I'm really going to leave her here.

"Hey, Do Kyungsoo, over here!" A familiar voice called him from a distance. He widened his eyes at Minjae, who was slowly approaching him. She was wearing a teal coloured knee-length skirt paired up with a plain white graphic shirt. Despite the simple look, Kyungsoo stared at her for a few seconds as if she was some type of goddess.

Yes, he had agreed to meet up with her because he needed help on what to get for Sehun's birthday. Ever since his family was ruined, he found himself caring about no one else other than himself. He didn't have time to think about anyone else. Not his father, not his friends... Life was already hard for him. His father was putting a roof under his head, but as for other matters, he had to earn the money himself. He hated to depend on that disgrace.

So, to sharpen his gift picking skills again, he decided to ask for help. 

"What is this? The cold-hearted Do Kyungsoo is really asking someone like me for help?" Minjae eyed him, a small grin visible on her face, "Our personalities are total opposites, but it's nice to see we don't fight as much now."

"Tsch, you're already wrong on that part," Kyungsoo told her with a stoic face, walking down the shopping street without another word.

"Look, you're starting it again! You emotionless owl!"

"What did you call me? I'll have you know that you look like a helpless puppy when you're frightened."

"I do not look helpless!"

"The expression I saw a few weeks ago didn't say so, Miss Arrogant."

Kyungsoo had to say, teasing her did entertain him in so many possible ways. Their childish fights, how disinterested he acted towards her to tick her off, it was all so lightheartedly cheery. There was no hint of dislike in their insults, but sometimes there would be if the both of them were equally furious.

They spent hours in various shops, searching for the right thing they thought Sehun would like. There was no luck though, because none of the styles seemed to suit him. Just when they were about to give up the search and settle for some fried chicken instead, they came across a skateboard store. Many teenagers their age and younger were flocking in the place.

"This is definitely the place," Minjae stood next to Kyungsoo and looked at him, "Do you think he'll like it?"

"Probably," He answered before the both of them entered the store. 

For the whole time, Kyungsoo couldn't believe that Minjae was lecturing on choosing gifts for boys. Whatever he picked, whatever he set his eyes on, she shook her head while crossing her hands together. She told him that boys like him were supposed to like skateboards, snapbacks and shoes, anything related to fashion or being cool. He really couldn't understand, he thought the pair of socks he picked in the store was quite reasonable enough. How the heck was he supposed to know what boys like him here were into? He hadn't even seen something like this before in his whole life!

"Black, blue, white or red?" Minjae came to him, holding four skateboards piled on top of each other. Her hands were too full, so when everything looked as if they were going to fall on the ground anytime soon, Kyungsoo's hand immediately gripped tightly on her's while his other carried half of the pile off.

"Does it really matter? Just get him any colour..." He looked away, suddenly feeling embarrassed that they'd almost caused a scene.

The girl was just as embarrassed as him, and h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter