The Truth

Opposites Attract

    Jonghyun woke up with sleepy eyes and tried to search for his phone in his jacket pocket, but there was no jacket, or shirt on him. He forced himself to at least sit up straight and he rubbed the sleep from his eyes, yawning loudly. Once his vision unblurred, his eyes widened. He was straight out only in his underwear and Bora lay next to him with just her undergarments on. He looked around for his own clothes and they had been thrown on the floor next to the bed. 

    "Ya, Bora!" he tried to wake Bora up. 

     Bora frowned, her eyes still closed, and stretched her arms. 

    "Shee-ruh," she whined and grasped the blanket sheet, pulling it over her head. 

    "Dammit," Jonghyun cursed under his breath and decided to just leave by himself. He retrieved his clothes and after he was dressed, he checked his phone. 

    It was already 10:10am and he had received 15 missed call notifications from his mother. Feeling a bit of guiltiness, he decided to call back. As he finally closed the hotel room door behind him, his mother started to screech at him through the phone. 

    "Do you even know what day it is?" she erupted. 

    "What?" Jonghyun asked.

    "You're supposed to be at the company right now! Today's your introduction event! Get to the company right now! Your meeting starts at 10:30!" 

    "I don't have a car, Oma," Jonghyun sighed, "Plus, I never said I was going to do it. 

    "Where are you?" she demanded, "I'll pick you up."

    "Oma!" 

    "Do you really want your cards frozen?" 

    Jonghyun couldn't stand the sight of not being able to spend money. Jonghyun stared back at the hotel building. He couldn't have his mom know. 

    "I'll go only if you bring Secretary Kim."

    "Whatever!" Mrs. Lee said, "You make my mind explode!" 

    Secretary Kim pulled up a nice car and got out to open the passenger seat for Jonghyun, but Jonghyun shoved fifty dollars into Secretary Kim's hand and made his way into the driver's seat. He gave a playful salute with his hand to Secretary Kim and sped off. 

    "Yes, mother," he rolled his eyes as he spoke to her on the phone. 

    Gyungdae was one of South Korea's most famous conglomerate companies and Jonghyun's father, Lee Yaejae, until recently, had maintained a stable position as its CEO. Jonghyun's father recently had undergone a heart surgery, leaving him unable to attend work. 

    As Jonghyun entered the building, his mother was waiting for him there. The second she saw his appearance, she gasped,

    "Jonghyun! Your clothes and hair are a mess! What did you do yesterday? Did you even come home? Ugh, it doesn't matter, I'll get one of the staff to fix you up. Now, come here right now!" 

    She dragged Jonghyun away. 

    Once Jonghyun was dressed in proper attire, he was ushered straight into the conference room, along with his mother. 

    There were at least ten people on each side of the conference room table and each person was waiting patiently for Jonghyun's introduction. Jonghyun and his mother took their seats. Then, one of the men on the left side stood up. 

    "We are all deeply despaired at hearing that Lee Yaejae cannot come to work due to his health condition, but we all are praying for his best well being. Our CEO has appointed his own son, Lee Jonghyun to replace his position temporarily." 

    Jonghyun awkwardly stood up, receiving the applause. His mother beamed proudly at him. 

    "However," the same man spoke, "Changes have been made." 

    Mrs. Lee's expression went down and Jonghyun became scared. He gave a worrying glance to his mother. 

    "I would like to introduce Suzy Bae, one of the candidates for the temporary CEO position." 

    A young girl with long brown hair stood up and gracefully smiled at everyone. Everyone seemed extremely pleased by her appearance, except for Mrs. Lee and Jonghyun.

    "What is the meaning of this?" Mrs. Lee demanded an answer.

    "Well, you see," the man explained, "Gyungdae is going through many important things as of now and having Jonghyun suddenly take over as CEO could be risky. Yes, he went to college as a business major, however, he is inexperienced with our company specifically. Since half of the board agreed on having Jonghyun and the other half agreed on Suzy, it sounds only best to have a bit of a competition." 

    "How come I was not aware of this?" Mrs. Lee was furious. 

    "He is your son. Your vote would have been too biased."

    "I would like to add that Suzy has been an employee in our company and she has been the originator for several successful product ideas that have gained Gyungdae much profit. We felt her as the best candidate for the CEO position. However, for the sake of CEO Lee YaeJae, we honor his decision of appointing his son, so Jonghyun, too, has become a candidate."

    Once the meeting had been adjourned, Mrs. Lee was infuriated. 

    "That man was Park GaeHyun. He's part of the board and I've never have liked him."

    "What about the competition?" Jonghyun asked, "Do I really have to go through all that? Just let Suzy or whatever take the position. It's only temporary and Appa will come back soon. Why do I have to endure so much for just a temporary place when there's someone else fully skilled enough to do it?"

    "Jonghyun!" Mrs. Lee slapped her son of his shoulder, "You have to do it!" 

    "Why, Oma?" Jonghyun resisted, "Appa's going to come back, isn't he?" 

    Mrs. Lee grew silent. 

    "Oma," Jonghyun frowned, "Oma, he's going to come back, isn't he?" 

   "I don't know," Mrs. Lee's voice broke. 

    "What?" Jonghyun was shocked. 

    "His surgery..." Mrs. Lee buried her face in her hands, "Something went wrong---"

    "What the hell are you talking about?" Jonghyun in a serious, deep tone of voice. 

    "Your father," Mrs. Lee looked at Jonghyun, tears in her eyes, "May never come back to us."