Suzy's Embarassing Past

Opposites Attract

     "Yonghwa-ssi..." Suzy was speechless. 

     "Well," Park Gaehyun nodded as a goodbye, "I'll leave you two to get settled."

     "Thank you," Yonghwa bowed quickly. 

     Yonghwa sat down comfortably on the guest seats. 

     "Long time no see, Suzy," he smiled. 

     Suzy used both of her hands to brush her back. She looked stressed. And she was. 

     "I haven't seen you since college," Yonghwa laughed, "This is such a coincidence, but I'm glad that we can get to see each other in such a great company. I heard that you're competing against the actual CEO's son, right?"

     "Yeah," Suzy answered nervously. 

     Yonghwa got up and put his hands on her shoulders which startled Suzy.

     "Your sunbae will do his best to help you out," Yonghwa encouraged, "I'm going to go to my office now. Peace."

     Yonghwa waved with playful aegyo and sauntered out of Suzy's office. Overwhelmed, Suzy almost tripped over her heels as she walked back to her office chair. Her mind was flooded with such unwanted memories of her college student years...

     "Yonghwa-oppa is going to be participating at the school's music festival today!" 

     "Really?"

     "He's so handsome! And super smart!"

     The girls in Suzy's English class were freaking about Jung Yonghwa, her school's rising star. Suzy's best friend at that time, Hyuna tapped her on the shoulder.

     "You're going to go, right?" she asked.

     "Why would I?" Suzy scoffed, "I don't get why everyone is causing such a ruckus about this guy."

     "This one guy?" Hyuna seemed apalled, "OMG. He's much more than that! He's Jung Yonghwa! Super good looking, super athletic, super intelligent, super musically talented, super nice..."

     Suzy couldn't dedicate her precious time to listen to Hyuna's rant about some guy she didn't even know. She decided to leave the classroom and walked through the hallway. As she was walking, she accidentally slipped on something on the floor and dropped her books. A very tall, handsome guy bent down with her to pick them up. Suzy looked up and met a narrow face with two slightly differently shaped eyes, but somehow it made the guy seem very charming. When they both stood up, the guy basically was towering over her. 

     "Be careful," he smiled, speaking in a husky voice. 

     "Oh," Suzy came back to planet Earth, "Thank you."

     "Are you a senior?" he asked.

     "No, I'm a freshman," she responded.

     "Then as a senior, I strongly recommend you to go to the music festival," he said, "It's a really fun experience. And I'm sure you've heard of Yonghwa too."

     "I'm not that obsessed like the other girls," Suzy said casually, "I don't even know him, so I don't think I have any reason to freak out about him."

     "Haha," the guy laughed, "That's a first. Anyways, you should go. I'm going to look for you!" And he playfully poked her forehead.

     After the guy left, Hyuna ran up to Suzy.

     "Did you just talk to that guy?" and she pointed at the tall figure walking in the opposite direction.

     "Yeah, why?"

     "Girl!" Hyuna squealed, "That's Kim Woobin!" 

     "Kim Woobin?" Suzy thought about it for a while, "Oh! I hear his name a lot."

     "He's Yonghwa's cousin!" 

     "Yonghwa's cousin?" Suzy gasped. 

     "Yeah!" Hyuna punched Suzy's shoulder, "If you liked him, you should've told me. He always goes to the music festival to support Yonghwa, so now you're going to go, right?"

     "Um..." Suzy pondered, "I guess..."

     "Yes!" Hyuna shouted and she dragged Suzy to their dorms to get ready. 

     The school's music festival was filled with the entire student body and the girls realized there was no room for them. 

     "Ugh," Hyuna pouted, "This is so annoying. I told you we should've came earlier!"

     "We came to listen to music, not see people's faces. We can hear just fine 'cause there are amps in the back too, you know."

     "Not to worry," a familiar voice said and Woobin came out of nowhere. 

     "Woobin-oppa!" Hyuna was elated. 

     "You came," he smiled and patted Suzy on the head. 

     "Come here," and he took Suzy's hand and made way to the front, "You guys can stay here. VIP service."

     "Thank you so much!" Hyuna was in paradise. 

     "As freshmen, attending the music festival is mandatory. You didn't know?" Woobin asked Suzy. 

     "I know that almost everyone goes," Suzy shrugged, "But it's tradition. Not a school rule to abide by."

     "Wow," Woobin teased, "You seem like the studious type."

     Suzy blushed. 

     When Yonghwa finally appeared with an acoustic guitar, the crowd went wild. Girls were screaming and some were even wiping their eyes with tissues because they felt the need to cry for being blessed enough to go to the same school as Yonghwa. 

     "Hi everyone," Yonghwa greeted.

     "He's not that great," Suzy frowned. 

     "He's my family!" Woobin laughed. 

     "Oh, sorry!" Suzy was embarrassed. 

     "It's alright," Woobin laid a hand on her shoulder. 

     It was warm and Suzy felt very safe. Like, Woobin was someone she could definitely rely on. 

     "I will be singing 'Dont Worry' by legendary Jun In Gwon, but I arranged it acoustially, so I hope you enjoy it."

     "Ah," Woobin sighed and looked at Suzy, "I helped him with that."

     "You did?" Suzy was surprised. 

     "I know a little music myself," Woobin bragged, "I consider myself....professional?"

     Suzy laughed. 

     "You don't believe me?" Woobin pushed Suzy so she swayed to the other side a bit. 

     "That's not what I meant!" Suzy laughed. 

     Hyuna grabbed Suzy's arm and jumped up and down.

     "He's singing!" 

     Suzy honestly could care less, but she stayed there. Woobin was there. He seemed so happy to see his cousin up there on stage. She wished that he could gaze at her that proudly too one day. 

     After the music festival, Woobin and Suzy became close friends, close enough that there were even rumors that they were dating. Woobin helped Suzy with her studies at time and when the study sessions carried on until it was very late, ocassionally Woobin would take Suzy out to eat duh boo-ki outside.

     "Ah, it's so good!" Woobin exclaimed. 

     "It's spicy!" Suzy smiled and chugged a ton of water.

     "Ya," Woobin got a napkin and wiped some sauce off her face. 

     Suzy froze. She just stared at Woobin's face and again, that warm hand...it gave her a sense of comfort. 

     "I'll walk you home," Woobin offered.

     "No,no," Suzy resisted, "I will."

     "Uh," Woobin laughed, "That's weird. It's usually the guy."

     "Stop being ist," Suzy pretended to scold him. 

     "Alright," Woobin said, "Let's go."

     During the walk to Woobin's house, they talked about just life and Woobin's future. 

     "I think I'm considering modeling," he said.

     "Modeling?" Suzy laughed, "But you're an engineering major."

     "I know," Woobin said, "But I've actually been scouted a few times. And my aunt knows someone in that business and I've been considered."

     "If you become sucessful, you'll probably be really busy, right?" Suzy asked, a bit disheartened.

     "That's with any job, I think," Woobin had his hands in his jacket pockets and stared up at the starry sky, "These days, global success is the only ideal goal."

     "So, you're probably wouldn't be in Korea a lot."

     "Well," Woobin said, "Who knows. I don't even know what I want to do yet."

     "You graduate in two days," Suzy urged, "Think of what you want to do in life."

     They reached Woobin's door. 

     "What I want to do right now," he faced Suzy and gently took her hands in his, "Is thank you for being such a great friend in my last year."

     Friend. 

     Suzy didn't respond right away.

     "Ya," Woobin flicked her forehead, "Don't you have anything to say to your best Oppa?"

     "Oh," Suzy was hesitant, "Well..."

     "Ah!" Woobin joked, "Hurry up! It's cold!" 

     "It's that..."

     "Okay, I'm going," Woobin started up his steps. 

     "Joh-wah-hae!" Suzy confessed. (I like you!) 

     Woobin turned around. 

     "Suzy..."

     "Uh deuh kae, ke ruh kae bbahn bbuhn nee?" Suzy shouted, not caring about losing her dignity. (Why are you "thickskinned"?)

     "Suzy," Woobin walked down his steps. 

     "You don't have to come," she felt like she was choking on her own tears, "I know you don't share the same feelings."

     "But still," Woobin walked over, "I don't want our friendship end in this way. I might not be able to see you again."

     "Oh-jee-mah!" Suzy warned, taking a step back. (don't come!) 

     "Okay," Woobin accepted, "But let's talk tomorrow, okay?" 

     There was no reply. 

     Woobin stared at Suzy weeping for a long time, but finally went inside. She sadly turned around only to face Yonghwa. 

     "I was just on my way to Woobin's, but I saw you with him, so I just waited back there...I didn't know that---"

     But before Yonghwa could even finish, Suzy ran off, so humiliated. How could her life be so miserable? 

     After her flashback, Suzy banged her head forecfully on her office desk. Yonghwa wasn't even that close to her. The only time he had held a "conversation" with her had been just that time. 

     "He's just pretending to be close to make it less awkward," Suzy thought to herself. 

     Ah. She hadn't thought of Woobin Oppa in such a long time. It always brought back bad feels. Just then, Jonghynu walked into her office. Suzy freaked. Her hair was a mess from literally smashing it into her desk. Could her day just get any worse?