Acceptance?

Opposites Attract

    The lunch date at the naemyun place was awkward. Jonghyun couldn't find himself able to talk to Bora. Sure, he had been a player, but Bora was different. She was almost like his family, and now she had developed feelings for him. How had he not been able to notice?

    "Maybe I am stupid," he thought to himself. 

    Bora slurped her noodles noisily. Jonghyun smiled slightly and Bora noticed.

    "Aren't I cute?" she joked and placed a V sign next to her smiling face.

    "Yeah," Jonghyun replied quietly. 

    "I was teasing, you know," Bora replied without looking at him, "There's nothing wrong with a dongsaeng giving a little peck to her oppa."

    Jonghyun knew better than to believe that, but for Bora's sake, he just played along.

    "I know," he made a playful face and fed Bora some of the banchan on the table, "Now be quiet and keep eating."

    Once Bora finished her glass of water, she got out of her seat and pulled Jonghyun.

    "Let's go shopping and see some of the street markets! I checked, we have an hour left."

    "You actually purchase things at those cheap places?"

    Bora looked at him.

    "Didn't you say that you needed to go do research on the average customer or whatever? Average people shop at those places," Bora explained, "Plus, what they sell are super cute."

    "Aren't on Suzy's team?" Jonghyun pointed out as they walked out of the restaurant, "Why are you helping me?" 

    "Suzy's out," Bora said.

    "You sure that's okay?" Jonghyun asked again.

    But Bora already was heading towards one of the stands that were selling cute jewelry. As they walked from stand to stand, Jonghyun thought about what Bora meant to him, but as no matter how hard he thought about it, Bora remained as the same dongsaeng-like character in his mind. Bora was family---his closest friend, and he didn't want to ruin their friendship by trying to hold a relationship with her. Jonghyun's thoughts were interuppted as Bora placed a bunny ear headband on him.

    "What the hell?" Jonghyun felt his head. 

    But Bora was already taking a selfie with him and she was wearing a matching headband. 

    "Ahjumma," Bora eagerly greeted the lady at the particular stand, "Can we have two of these?"

    "Of course," the lady replied, smiling at the two, "I'll give you a discount. You two look great together." 

    "Ah---" but before Jonghyun could say anything, Bora spoke.

    "Ahnee ae yo," she corrected, "We're friends, right Oppa?" 

    Jonghyun and Bora finally approached a stand that was selling women's clothing, but it was male manning the stand. 

    "Ahjussi," Bora asked, "You sell women's clothes?" 

    "Ah, no," he replied, "My wife is out sick. I've been working the stand for her."

    Bora smiled warmly at him,

    "You must really love her."

    "She's my wife," he replied, "Similar to what you two can be."

    This time Bora didn't say anything and Jonghyun felt almost cornered. He needed to take the attention off of him.

    "Oh, Ahjussi!" he pulled at his phone and pulled out a PDF file of the customer survey, "Can you please fill out this survey? It's for my work. Please use the stylus."

    "Sure," the man started to write down his answers on Jonghyun's phone.

    Once he was done, Bora and Jonghyun started to head back. Jonghyun turned around and something caught his eye. There was a navy blue car parked across the street. It seemed somewhat familiar, but before he could think about it thoroughly, Bora tugged on his arm, saying it was almost time to get back to the company.

     Back in the car, Bora returned to her normal annoying self, and Jonghyun felt the atmosphere become much more comfortable. 

    "I had a nice time today," Bora smiled at him.

    Jonghyun smiled back at her.

    "Me too."