Happiness

Opposites Attract

      Jonghyun was panting by the time he exited the hospital. He frantically searched the parking lot for Suzy. And to his relief, he found her, kneeling next to her car. 

      "Suzy!" he called out, but the moment he saw her face to face, Suzy slapped him.

      "You made me believe you!" she shrieked.

      "Bora is my family friend!" he shouted, "She came to see my father! Not me!"

      "How am I supposed to believe you?" Suzy asked, this time in a quieter tone, "I doubted you before, but because I just couldn't stand this feeling I had inside, I decided to go with what I felt. But my intuition was wrong."

      "Suzy," Jonghyun felt helpless in this situation, "I don't feel about Bora in that way. She's my younger sister to me."

      "She doesn't see it that way though," Suzy glared at him.

      "I know," Jonghyun responded, "I had to reject her. Because I told her I had you."

      "What about your father?" Suzy questioned, "What difference does that make then? You're going to love who your father wants you to love."

      "I don't want to end on bad terms," Jonghyun explained, his voice already strained, "I didn't mean to hurt you any further."

      "The outcome is still the same," Suzy scoffed, "So why bother coming out?"

      "Because," Jonghyun replied, "I care about you."

      "But it doesn't matter!" Suzy shouted, tears falling. 

      "Suzy!" Jonghyun yelled and held her shoulders firmly with his hands. 

      "I don't know," Suzy's voice settled down, "I think..."

      "You think what?"

      "I think I fell in love with the wrong person."

      Jonghyun let go of her.

     "Did I?" Suzy asked him.

     Just then, Jonghyun's cell phone rang. It was his mother. He hastily wiped away his tears and cleared his throat.

     "Oh, Oma!" he pretended to be cheerful and Suzy rolled her eyes and started to go inside the car, but Jonghyun stopped her.

     "Jonghyun-ah," his mother said warmly, "Do you even know what your father wants?"

     "Me to win the competition."

     "He wants you to be happy." 

     "But I want him to be happy," Jonghyun replied, "And I don't get what you mean."

     "We are happy as long as you're happy," Mrs. Lee explained, "Even if it means being with someone you're competing against for the sake of your father."

      "Oma..." Jonghyun looked at Suzy.

      "That's what we want," Mrs. Lee said, "Your happiness." And she hung up.

      "Yeobosae yo?" Jonghyun said, "Yeobosae yo?" 

      "Wow," Suzy laughed, "I can't believe this."

      A smile slowly crept up onto Jonghyun's face.

      "You're happy?" Suzy was in shock, "Okay. I'm leaving."

      But Jonghyun went up to Suzy and carried her up, spinning around.

      "Put me down!" Suzy screamed and swung her arms in every direction.

      Jonghyun stopped spinning around.

      "Suzy," Jonghyun grinned, "I love you."