The Final Decision: Suzy or Father?

Opposites Attract

     "Wow..." Yonghwa folded his arms behind his head and sat down in a chair, "Daebak. Isn't this exactly what happened with Woobin?" 

     "Shut up," Suzy glared at him, "I actually thought you were being friendly to make me feel less embarassed about that incident. And no, I didn't get rejected. He just stopped it before it even began."

     "And what exactly was it?" Yonghwa asked. 

     "None of your business," Suzy muttered, "And no I'm not crying. See? The air conditioning here is a bit strong, that's all. It makes my eyes sting. And as my secretary, you're quite nosy."

     "I'm supposed to take care of your affairs."

     "Not my personal ones," Suzy grumbled and grabbed her jacket, "I gotta go down to the warehouse to see if the clothing ideas are coming along, so if I get any calls, you take them."

     "You sure you're going to the warehouse?" Yonghwa raised an eyebrow.

     "You're such a bad person," Suzy shook her head at him, "I'm glad I didn't waste my time fawning over you back in school."

     "Harsh," Yonghwa said. 

     "Life is harsh," Suzy replied curtly.

     "You would know," he responded cleverly. 

     Jonghyun sat back at his desk, reflecting over what he just did.

     "There was nothing between you guys in the first place," he reassured himself, "You just prevented anything from starting, that's all. It's for the best."

     "May I ask what you're contemplating?" Minhyuk entered the room.

     "How to separate personal feelings from office decisions," Jonghyun vaguely answered. 

     "A girl?" Minhyuk asked.

     "Not mine," Jonghyun sighed, "Just stopped it before that, basically."

     "Office relationship?" Minhyuk questioned.

     "I trust you, Minhyuk-ssi," Jonghyun replied, "Yeah, but more specifically, one with the enemy."

     "Suzy?" Minhyuk said almost immediately.

     "Yeah, but I'm not sure what to think of it, but my family comes first," Jonghyun said, "And my father needs me to become the CEO. I can't give it all up for something I'm not even certain of." 

     "That's true," Minhyuk said, "But I overheard a conversation with the board members, and it seems that even though the incident with Bora occurred, many of them are in your favor."

     "Why?" Jonghyun asked, surprised by this.

     "Suzy's family background isn't exactly one to brag about." 

     "What do you mean?"

     "She lives with her older sister in a small apartment. Both her parents died when she was young in some accident and the two sisters were taken by an orphanage. The thing is, some of the board is saying that if someone from a poor background leads the company, it gives off a good image that Gyungdae is a safe place that is not corrupt, but on the other hand, some say it lowers the status of our company...like it means that any "anybody" can control Gyungdae."

     "So they're trying to use Suzy's personal background as an advertising strategy?" Jonghyun asked.

     "Half of them are at least," Minhyuk replied, "And I know that you may feel urged to prevent that, but think about it. Suzy-ssi will obviously be greatly offended by it, and there's a chance that she might just drop out of the competition."

     "But that's just so cruel," Jonghyun resisted, "How could they do that? I thought I was mean, but I never thought of using someone's family as a tool."

     "It's the real world," Minhyuk said, "But anyway, the only reason I told you that was for your own benefit. It's up to you how you want to use that information." 

     "I don't know," Jonghyun said, "I already cut my good terms with Suzy."

     "Do you want cut your promise to your father as well?"

     There was a long silence. Jonghyun's heart was split into two. 

     Was it going to be his father? His father had never been around, and Jonghyun never remembered getting love from his father as a young child. His father had always put work before family. Suzy seemed to be the type where she would put family before work, so Jonghyung could easily predict how she would react if she found out about the company using her background as a business tool. Now it was Jonghyun's turn. Would he be able to sacrifice the girl just beginning to enter his heart for the father who never really was a father to him? Jonghyun knew that this decision would change his life forever and that there was no turning back. 

     "Alright," Jonghyun faced Minhyuk and replied confidently, "I'll hope that Suzy quits once she finds out."