Reliving Rejection

Opposites Attract

     "Jonghyun-ssi," Suzy greeted, hastily settling down her hair. 

     "I have something to address," Jonghyun began without saying hello.

     Suzy felt a cold breeze. 

     "Why are you being so friendly to your enemy?" he asked, holding up her good morning message.

     "I just thought...because yesterday we chatted for a little bit," Suzy said innocently. 

     "I realized I made a mistake and that's why I didn't reply," Jonghyun said sternly, "I don't think this is appropriate. I apologize if I confused you, but I just wanted to clarify: We only have a relationship because we're enemies. How we end up doing can determine the future for one of us. And I don't want that to be ruined for myself by this friendly...converse."

     "What suddenly made you change your mind?" Suzy asked, standing up, "Yes, we're opponents, but it doesn't have to be in hatred that we see each other."

     "I thought I had came to my senses," Jonghyun explained, "But I actually hadn't. It just hit me how important this is not to just me, but my father."

     "Jonghyun-ssi," Suzy said, "But you felt it too, right? You know, something else."

     "I don't know what you're talking about," Jonghyun denied strongly. 

     "Jonghyun-ssi!" Suzy pleaded, "Don't pretend that you don't know!"

     "I should best be on my way," Jonghyun turned around, but Suzy grabbed his arm.

     "Jonghyun-ssi..." she said in a quieter tone. 

     "I'm sorry if I confused you," Jonghyun gently took her hand off, "But I carry a different perspective now." 

     "Jonghyun-ssi," Suzy stammered, "You know that this is so unfair, right?"

     Jonghyun stared at Suzy, but she found no sympathy in his eyes.

     "I was always this cold," he said, "If you had any feelings for me, the only thing I can say is that you were mistaken. You don't even know me." 

     And with that, Jonghyun walked out, but he bumped into Yonghwa. It was obvious that Jonghyun was not in a good mood, so Yonghwa got out of the way for him. Yonghwa came in cheerful until he saw that Suzy seemed as though she was paralyzed. She didn't move. Not even a blink.

     "Suzy," Yonghwa laid down a few manilla folders onto her desk and went over to her, "Are you okay? That was Jonghyun, wasn't it?"

     "It's nothing," Suzy abruptly walked over to her desk.

     "If it's nothing," Yonghwa asked, "Then why are you crying?"

     "I'm not crying," Suzy retorted and she used her hand to wipe her face. And to her surprise, there was a tear.