A Change of Heart and a New Addition

Opposites Attract

    The drive to the hospital was a dark one. His mother held a blank expression and spoke no words. Once they reached the hospital, Jonghyun followed his mother to room 346, where two body guards were standing by the door. They bowed and let the mother and son in. Jonghyun's lay in his bed with a respirator. Jonghyun was shocked and slowly walked over to his father. He held out a shaky hand to touch his father's face. 

   "Appa," his voice broke and a single tear rolled down his face. 

   "The doctors don't know if he'll ever wake up," Mrs. Lee said, gently massaging her husband's arm on the other side of the bed. 

   "What happened with the surgery?" Jonghyun asked in a wavering tone.

   "It was a risky one to begin with," his mother answered.

   "I didn't know..."Jonghyun closed his eyes tight and more tears streamed down his face. 

   "Jonghyun-ah," Mrs. Lee stared her son with watery eyes, "You need to win that competition. Or else the thirty years your father spent in that company will be gone."

   Jonghyun his father's face. He couldn't remember any good memories with him. His father had always been so busy with work and Jonghyun himself had not been the best son. Their relationship was not a close one. But if becoming the CEO of Gyundae was his father's last wish, he had to do it. 

   The next day, Suzy came back to work. As she sat down in her office chair, she sent a good morning kakao to Jonghyun and she peered through the blinds of her room to see if Jonghyun read it, since it just happened that he was passing by. To her delight, Jonghyun took out his phone and looked at her message, but now, to her dismay, he simply shoved the phone back into his pocket. 

   "What?" she thought to herself. 

   Jonghyun sat down in his office and went through the piles of papers Minhyuk had given him, but he wasn't able to concentrate. Just that image of his father lying in the hospital bed...and Suzy's smiling face...

   "Get back to your senses, Jonghyun," and he slapped his face with both hands. 

   Suzy slouched back in her chair. With Bora gone, she didn't know what to do. She took out her phone and messaged Bora a little note for some comfort, but with her too, there was no reply. 

   Just then, Park Gaehyun entered with someone new. 

   "Suzy-ssi," Park Gaehyun introduced, "This is your new secretary." 

   He was average height, had big eyes, and light brown hair. His teeth on one small side were a little crooked, but somehow it made him look cute.

   "Hi," he waved slightly, "I'm Jung Yonghwa. Pleased to meet you."