Doubting

Opposites Attract

    Jonghyun arrived at his luxurious apartment after a stressful day from work. He dropped his backpack onto a chair at his grand dining table and laid down on the beige leather couch in front of his 5-inch flatscreen TV. His mother came over to him, all smiles, and laid down a plate of Asian pear pieces. 

   "Jonghyun-ah," she said affectionately, "You must be tired. Here, eat this."

   "Oma," Jonghyun said, "Bora got fired today."

   "What?" Mrs. Lee dropped the fork she was holding and quickly picked it up, "Why?"

   "Because Park Gaehyun found out that Bora is very close to me. Probably thought she was a spy or something," Jonghyun blew a puff of air with his bottom lip sticking out that slightly raised his brown bangs. 

   "I'm going to call---" Mrs. Lee got up to reach her cellphone, but Jonghyun grabbed his mother's wrist. 

   "No, Oma," he said, "I'm really upset too, but I know Bora. She won't be saddened over something like this for a long time and if you call Park Gaehyun, my image will only look worse."

   "You sure?" Mrs. Lee questioned. 

   "I'm positive," Jonghyun confirmed, "Bora...isn't the type to do that." 

   Mrs. Lee embraced her son. 

   "Nae ah-deul, gohsaeng-ee man-nuh (My child, you're going through a lot."

   When they're hug broke apart, Mrs. Lee said,

   "If it makes you feel any better, you want to come visit your father with me? I have to go to the hospital soon." 

   "Father?" Jonghyun said quietly. 

   "Yes," Mrs. Lee nodded.

   Jonghyun wasn't sure. It was hard to see his old man. First, his father was in critical health condition. Second and most of all, he hadn't had an actual conversation with his father for five years. Sure, his father had accepted him as the next CEO, but would he accept Jonghyun as his son?