Just Another Day at Work

Opposites Attract

  Jonghyun did his best to forget what had happened with Suzy last night not just for his sake, but everyone's sake. Even the atmosphere at work the next day seemed a bit off and those on Suzy's team began to eye him differently. Attempting to take his mind off of things, he took out his phone to play a simple game of Cookie Run. Just then, Minhyuk entered the room.

   "Jonghyun-ssi," Minhyuk placed a packet of papers onto his desk, "These are the 250 customer surveys you requested."

   Jonghyun looked up from his phone.

   "250?" He gaped, "Alright, let's just look at them together."

   The two men both sat down in the leather chair seats and read through the surveys together.

   "It seems as though most of the surveyors were women?" Minhyuk pointed out.

   "I think so," Jonghyun replied.

   "We have male shoppers too, so isn't it better to include more men as well? They are also another form of the average customer," Minhyuk suggested. 

   "That's good," Jonghyun smiled, "Can you get those?"

   "Jonghyun-ssi," Minhyuk asked, "May I say a suggestion?"

   "Surely."

   "I think it would look better if you did those on your own," Minhyuk said, "This counts as 'research' and if you do directly on your own, it could earn a few points. Even if it seems like a low job, it shows your effort."

   "I guess," Jonghyun gave in acquiesently. 

    Just then Bora came in.

   "Oppa!" she frowned at him.

   "Ya!" Jonghyun scolded her, glancing at Minhyuk, "We're at work! I'm not your friend here!"

   "If you're not my friend," Bora sat down with them as well, "Then why do I have to give your phone number to Suzy?"

   "What?" Jonghyun asked and the scene of Suzy's drunken kiss went back into his mind, but he quickly tried to erase that.

   "She called in sick, but she just asked for your number." 

   "I'm sure it's some professional reason," Minhyuk chimed in.

   "What do you know!" Bora snapped at him.

   "Hey!" Jonghyun hit Bora's shoulder, "He's my righthand man! What gives you the right to speak rudely to him?"

    "Haha," Minhyuk laughed, "It's fine. In the workplace, you'll always have to deal with some difficult people. Well, if you'll excuse me."

     Bora was amazed at Minhyuk's bold statement and Jonghyun covered his mouth to keep from laughing. She glared at Jonghyun and followed Minhyuk out.

    "Excuse me!" she poked Minhyuk's back.

    "Yes?" Minhyuk asked, pretending that nothing had happened.

    "Difficult?" Bora mocked him.

    "If you cannot act maturely in the work office, then you're not suitable here," Minhyuk explained blatantly.

    "That's not something a secretary should say," Bora remarked.

    "And that's not how a secretary should act, regardless of position," Minhyuk retorted, "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to make a call to someone."

    "Psch," Bora muttered under her breath, "What kind of call does it have to be that he's so snobby about it?"

    And she decided to follow Minhyuk. Hiding behind a wall, she eavesdropped on his conversation.

    "Uh, Jinyoung-ah," Minhyuk sounded happy, "How are you?"

    "He's calling his girlfriend?" Bora scoffed. 

    "Yeah, I'm at work," Minhyuk smiled, tracing a line back and forth on the floor with his foot, "Yup. I like it. It's a new experience. When are you coming home?"

    "Huh?" Bora gasped, "Cohabitation?!" 

    "Wait a second, Jinyoung-ah," Minhyuk paused, "Is someone there?"

    Bora panicked and ran off as fast as her heels could take her. Minhyuk looked around curiously, but once he saw a tall girl in a black pencil skirt that was a wee bit too short and black heels, sprinting away, he just smiled and went back to his conversation. 

    Back at his office, Jonghyun went back to his desk and stared at the empty customer survey forms.

    "I don't want to do this," he mumbled to himself.

    CNBLUE's "Can't Stop" rang. 

    Jonghyun picked up his phone.

    "Hello? This is Lee Jonghyun."

    "Hi, Jonghyun. It's Suzy."

    Jonghyun stopped fiddling with his desk pen.

    "Suzy?"

    "Yeah, I got your number from Bora if you don't mind."

    "Oh, yeah," Jonghyun replied, "She told me."

    "I just wanted to ask...did I do something weird yesterday at the dinner?"

    The scene came back into his mind. Suzy's hands had been really warm on his face and she had applied so much pressure of the kiss that his lips had actually hurt. Jonghyun found his hand tracing his lips again.

    "Jonghyun-ssi?" 

    "Oh, sorry!" he snapped out of his daze, "No, nothing happened." 

    "Really?"

    "Yeah, you were just a bit drunk and Bora was able to take you home," he lied.

    "Really?" Suzy sounded very relieved, "Alright, thank you. I'll see you tomorrow. Bye!"

    "Oh, wait, Suzy!" Jonghyun sounded anxious.

    "Yes?"

    "Um," Jonghyun hesitated, "Feel...better."

    "Oh, thank you," and Suzy hurriedly hung up.