Together

Happily ever after-LLAF universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: A few warnings. I don't claim the medical and psychologicial references are accurate. I have manipulated them for the sake of the story. 

Also, this chapter deals with an old enemy from the past. Please do not bash any character. It's just fiction.

 

Together

“Hi Jaejoong.”

“Looking good Jaejoong.”

“gorgeous as always Jaejoong.”

Jaejoong giggled and greeted the male med students who would compliment her here and there. She thinks it’s just friendly words for her new look. She’s never worn a strapless to college before so…

“put a jacket on will ya…” Changmin grumbled as Jaejoong sat next to him on the bench in the garden behind their university building.

“says the one roaming shirtless.” Jaejoong used her book to smack Changmin in his side. While she was only in a strapless, Changmin had taken off his plaid shirt during lunch and tied it around his waist and there were a few girls here and there swooning over his washboard abs. “Should I tell Kibum you're putting on a show? You know she’s very possessive when it comes to your body.”

Changmin shook his head vehemently. “Please don’t. I can’t help it. it’s so in’ hot!”

“I know… London summer is so weird. I can’t believe it’s only 9 degrees and I’m sweating.” Jaejoong used a tissue to wipe her sweat and then pulled out a bottle of water from her bag. “want some?” she offered Changmin who took it gratefully.

“hey noona…” Changmin began, “I… uh… saw hyung woke up last night…”

“Hmm…” Jaejoong nods solemnly, a distant look in her eyes, “he’s not been sleeping too well lately….” Jaejoong hoped Changmin wouldn’t notice. But when Yunho wakes up at 2 am every night for a week, sit in the living room with a face that’s close to lifeless, his brother is bound to know. “he just sat there…he didn’t even realise I’m standing there. It looked like he’s afraid to close his eyes. What’s going on noona?”

“Specifically with him… not really sure… but Changmin-ah… things that are repressed deep inside us are bound to surface… it’s almost one year after all” Jaejoong looks down. unconsciously, her hand touches her right arm, feeling the ghost of her scars. There are no reddish purple lines of those stitches and scars anymore. Just a few pale marks where the bigger ones were.

Changmin observes her actions with a melancholic feeling. Only a month ago, the physician taking care of Jaejoong here said her arm has healed. Even then Jaejoong wouldn't wear clothes that expose her arms outside their apartment. She's become accustomed to the feel of those marks on her arm even though there's nothing anymore.

Changmin was there that day but only for the last part, but he's sufficiently traumatised by the events from a year ago. The ones who were directly affected- Yunho, Jaejoong and Junsu- have a lot more on their plate. He wonders how Jaejoong and Junsu feel. ''it's already a year huh.... '' Changmin stood up and untied his shirt from his waist. ''come on... We have to go to the airport.'' he put on his shirt but didn't button it. He decided he'd blast the air conditioning in the car and button his shirt just before stepping into the airport. Unless he's caught for indecent exposure. Hey! He knows he can give an underwear model a run for his money.

''let's go before we caught up in traffic.'' Jaejoong willed herself to let go of her arm with difficulty. It's as if she had forgotten how it felt without something covering it. On the way to the parking, there would be more men throwing a compliment or two at Jaejoong and she's smile and wave.

Changmin gritted his teeth supressing the need to yell ' off' to all of his sister-in-law's admirers. And if that wasn't enough, Jason had to be standing in the way to the parking talking to their professor. ''oh! Hi Jaejoong. '' Jason greets Jaejoong as if he didn't see her coming from the distance and stopped a professor with silly questions just so he'll be there when Jaejoong comes.

''hello Dr Wallace….Jason...'' Jaejoong greeted her teacher first then Jason. Changmin gave a polite acknowledging nod to the doctor which was returned likewise. He ignored Jason just as Jason thought of Changmin as invisible.

''Miss Kim, I'd like to talk you for a moment.'' dr Wallace speaks and chicks an eyebrow when Jason stood there like the doctor was coming to teach a class right there. ''alone.'' Dr wallace added and Jason pouted before trudging away from there. Changmin remained where he was and the doctor didn't mind. She knew they were kind of a package deal anyway.

The young and bright student was famous for being accepted in the university when he was 14. Nobody knows why Changmin rejected the direct-into-med-school offer but chose to go to high school early. Personally, Dr Wallace had been curious but she's not one to look too deep in a student's life. Well, until now, the doctor thinks as her eyes trace Jaejoong's bare right arm.

Without a warning the doctor grabs Jaejoong's harm. Jaejoong gasps in surprise and Changmin flinched as he looked in shock Dr Wallace examined the pale arm, pressing slightly on a visible scar. ''how old?''

Jaejoong gulps, ''it'll be a year in a week.''

''cause?'' Jaejoong looks at Changmin. He gives surreptitious sake of the head telling Jaejoong to skip the stressful details.

 ''car accident and a traumatic incident after that caused the scarring above the wrist.'' the mention of ‘traumatic’ tells Dr Wallace not to dig up any painful details. She keeps a professional stand as she looks at the scars where her veins are. She expects there must have been significant blood loss.

''extent of damage?''

''I...uh... It's hazy. My doctor would know.'' Jaejoong looks at Changmin for help. ''she had a broken leg and her arm went through the car's windshield. '' Changmin spoke having taken care of Jaejoong at that time. ''there was no bone damage but the arterial damage caused significant blood loss. There were stitches done on five places all on the upper right side of her body.'' Dr Wallace was honestly impressed that Changmin gave such a good report for someone so young.

She let go of Jaejoong's hand. ''it has healed impressively well.''

 ''I took care it did...'' Jaejoong confessed holding her hand close. Suddenly, she regretted not wearing her full sleeve top.

''what's your dominant hand Miss Kim?''

''we're both ambidextrous. '' Changmin now caught on to what the doctor was hinting at and he didn't like it one bit. Jaejoong touched the back of his hand telling him to calm down. ''Doctor, with all due respect my arm is fully functional. There was no nerve damage and I had physiotherapy. If you’re doubting my potential as a surgeon, you should know I won’t let this get in my way. I intend to be a surgeon, not a physician.”

The doctor wasn’t offended by her borderline rude speech. She has seen the enthusiasm to cut among the students when they start school. While in her experience, most of the enthusiasm burns out in the stressful studious environment, Jaejoong is every bit genuine and passionate and Dr Wallace respects that. “I didn’t mean any harm Miss Kim.” Dr Wallace looks pointedly at Changmin. He doesn’t look apologetic one bit. He just meets his professor’s gaze steadily. “as surgeons, we have a big responsibility. Those people who lie on our table, for us to cut them open are expecting us to save their lives. A compromised surgeon is no better than an idiot with a sharp blade.” She pat Jaejoong’s arm a bit. “your arm is healed but I think your psyche has not. I hope after this weekend you’ll be better. See you next Friday.”

Dr Wallace waves at the two as she walks away. Jaejoong looks at her wrist touches the scar on it, almost feeling Seulgi’s nails dig into her flesh. Just when that image flashed before her eyes, a large hand wrapped around her hand and tugged her.

“we’re getting late.” Changmin says mechanically as he pulls her along. Jaejoong walks with him staring at his hand holding hers. It feels nice. Jaejoong knows the scars are more in her head than her arm. however, to have such a supportive and loving family and friends circle is really healing.

~~~

Jaejoong kept looking at her watch impatiently. She would like to step out of the claustrophobic vehicle but she’s afraid it could get towed. They’ve been here for 20 minutes already. The plane was supposed to land 45 minutes ago.

Jaejoong saw Changmin jog towards the car. He got in from the driver’s side and first took a sip of water. “The flight from Incheon landed on time.”

“Heh? did you see them inside anywhere?” Jaejoong asked.

“I can’t go all the way in without documents. Maybe their already home. Did hyung say he’s going to pick them up?”

“No… Siwon just came and took Yunho somewhere. I don’t think those guys even went to class today.”

Changmin took his phone and called his mother. “Hey… where are you gu-huh?... we’re waiting for you at the arrivals gate…. Departures? What?....oh…okay… we’ll be there…” Changmin confusedly stepped out of the car and told Jaejoong to alight as well. “they’re at departures for some reason…” he says and Jaejoong frowns.

She turns around and sees a familiar Land Rover stop in the distance. Jaejoong taps Changmin’s arm and points in that direction. “I thought they weren’t coming?”

“Maybe they decided to come since Junsu’s mother is coming with Kibum and Mom.” The two went over just when Yoochun was helping Junsu out of the vehicle. To Jaejoong and Changmin’s surprise, Yunho also was there.

“Hey… you guys didn’t tell us you're coming…” Changmin looked around expecting to see Siwon and Heechul too.

“Just us…” Yoochun says. He and Yunho pull out some bags from the back. Jaejoong looked at her elephant prints carry-on bag in Yunho’s hand. “We’ll explain later.” Yoochun said gesturing at Junsu with his eyes. She looks just as dazed and confused as the other two oblivious people.

Changmin remained silent as he followed Yoochun with Junsu to the departures gate. Jaejoong moved to get her bag from Yunho but he held it away wanting to carry it instead. Jaejoong used the free hand to cup Yunho’s face instead. Her thumb grazed his hollowed cheeks and dark circles.

He hasn’t become malnourished or anything but the lack of sleep was so evident on his face. He looked like he could collapse any second now.

“What’s going on?” Jaejoong asked.

“I’m exhausted…both of us are and so is Junsu. We need help.” Yunho put down one bag and held Jaejoong’s hand like his life depended on it. “we’re going home for a week. That’s why the mothers are here. To take us.”

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

“Came to know this morning. Yoochun planned everything. Apparently Junsu hasn't been too good either.''

''you think I need help too?'' '

“out of the three of us, I think you're the strongest. But you've become too comfortable with those scars that you're not letting go. And frankly. .. I'd heal better if you're okay too.''

''I'm willing to do anything as long as I'm with you.'' Jaejoong shifted their hands and laced their fingers together. ''me too. .. We'll get through this together.'' Yunho squeezed her hand and they walked together. When they found their friends, Hyori and Kibum were with them. ''Junsu doesn't know yet.'' Yunho whispers to Jaejoong before Hyori comes over and envelopes Jaejoong in a hug.

''it's so good to see you in person. I'm bored of looking at your face in a computer screen.'' Hyori looks at Jaejoong affectionately before turning to her elder son. Yunho's haggard appearance hurts Hyori that a tear escapes her eye. Jaejoong lets them have a moment as she goes over to Kibum. ''Yun-ah...'' Hyori almost bawled seeing Yunho. Yunho holds her hand and gives her a reassuring smile. ''don't start here mom. People are looking. ''

''shut up. I'm worried. Your father has prepared everything back home. ''

 ''sorry to make you worry so much.''

''your my son. I'm going to worry every second. '' '

'hi Joongie! '' Kibum bounced in the hug making Jaejoong giggle. ''I missed you Bummie. And we won’t even get to hang out together while you're here.''

''I know but it's only another month and I'll be studying with you guys. And I'll be in Seoul just in time to see you off next week. ''

''not the kind of together time I planned but now you'll have your boyfriend and the house all to yourself for a week.'' Jaejoong grinned at Kibum's flushed face. ''that...no, I have to finish my admission stuff and Chullie's taking me shopping. there's no time. ''

''you hear that Changmin? She has no time for you.'' Jaejoong spoke to the tall man behind Kibum. Kibum had steam coming out of her ears at how embarrassed she was. She looked at Changmin and became flustered at his cute cartoonish hurt face. ''it’s not like that. Of course we'll spend time together. You’ll be taking me to the university and we'll be living together after all.''

''Yeah whatever . Don't have to say stuff if you don't mean it. ''

''noooo~ I really mean it!'' before Kibum could start on another apology rant again, Mrs Kim interrupted them. ''you have plenty of time dear. I think you should go ahead.'' Mrs Kim gestured for Changmin to take Kibum. ''Mama! Where we're you?'' Junsu glomped her mother. When she hadn’t seen her mother with Kibum and Mrs Jung earlier she was worried.

''I was just getting our flight tickets.'' before Junsu could question the need for tickets when they Just arrived Mrs Kim stretched out her hand towards Yoochun, ''I'll take her bag.'' Yoochun shook his head '' I'll drop you all off.''

''drop whom off? My bag? You told me it's your gym bag! What's going on?'' Junsu was hysterical and close to a panic attack. Mrs Kim quickly brought Junsu in a hug in an attempt to calm her.

''can someone tell me what's going on?'' Changmin demanded observing the situation. all he knew was to pick up his mother, Mrs Kim and Kibum from the airport. Not stand and wonder who's going and who's staying. Hyori tried to calm her younger son ''it's nothing Min-ah. You and Kibum go ahead. She’ll explain everything to you. We're taking your brother, Jaejoong and Junsu home.''

''I'm not going anywhere with you people! You think I've gone mad.'' Junsu suddenly shrieked breaking away from her mother's hug. Yoochun tried to approach her but she slapped him. If the earlier outburst didn't attract attention this had airport security approach them.

“is everything okay here?” A buffed up Caucasian asks.

“yes, we’re fine.” Yoochun tried to hold Junsu while answering to the guard but Junsu slapped his hand away. ''don't touch me! I said I'm not crazy!''

''no-one thinks you are.'' Yoochun coaxed. Yunho gestured for the security people to keep their distance from them. Hyori spoke to one of them, making sure they knew who they were and that they would disperse the crowd. She had one of them standby to help get Junsu in the plane by force if needed.

While the guards tried to disperse the crowd, Yoochun went closer to Junsu. When she had attracted onlookers, Junsu had become subdued, not fighting Yoochun anymore.

“Su… baby… listen. No thinks you're crazy. But you're scared and that’s not good. You're suspicious of everyone. You need help before you really go crazy.” Yoochun held her hands and internally sighed in relief when she didn’t swat them away.

To be honest, he has been the most stressed out. Yunho confessed about his recent nightmares only to Yoochun. Slowly, Yoochun began to notice Jaejoong’s obsession with her scars. He kept it all in until a few days ago.

Junsu was a bit fidgety, not wanting to go out of the house. She flinched when a random stranger would look in her direction. And then she tried to call Jaejoong in the middle of the night twice to check on her. Yoochun didn’t let her and forced her to sleep. In the morning, Junsu was making coffee in a daze and when Yoochun simply greeted her a good morning, Junsu shrieked and held up a knife like in a defensive stance.

Yoochun had to talk her out of her panic and take the knife. At that moment, it didn’t even strike him to tell anyone. Heechul, who had coincidently arrived with breakfast just then, was made to keep an eye on Junsu while Yoochun called Junsu’s mother. Mrs Kim told the other parents and since Kibum was going to London anyway, the mothers switched with Kibum’s parents and arrived there.

Jaejoong stepped forward, taking one of Junsu’s hand. “hey… won’t you come with me? We’ll do this together.”

“We’ll all help. This is for everyone, not just the three of you. We’ll get through this.” Mrs Kim coaxes.

Junsu looks from her mother to Jaejoong. Jaejoong’s like a sister to her. Junsu had been with her, seeing her get tortured by Seulgi. Junsu thought she was going to lose her sister. She still has that fear, like someone was going to appear from the balcony again and kidnap her and Jaejoong. even if she knew what kind of person Seulgi was, the fact that her teacher, whose class she sat in on the front row, met her in the hallway every time she went to Jaejoong’s apartment, and told her father how nice of a teacher she was, made it impossible for Junsu to trust any stranger.

But Jaejoong was the main victim. She was only collateral. And Yunho was the target. He was the one who saw into her eyes as Seulgi pulled the trigger. So if they are willing to get help, why can’t she.

Slowly, Junsu nods and the others smile in relief.

Yoochun walks them to the check in and stays till their flight leaves.

~~~

Yunho walked on the grassy path checking every grave. He found a set of flat slabs of white marble on the ground in a triangular pattern. His father had found the location for him.

 Seulgi never told her husband of her family and the nature of her parents’ deaths. So he didn’t know where her parents were buried or if they had a family grave as such. So he had Seulgi buried where his parents and aunt were. He had only told Seulgi they would divorce when she killed herself. As his wife, he thought she deserved a proper burial in his family grave.

Yunho can’t believe someone as kind and smart person fell for Seulgi’s trap. In Yunho’s eyes, that man deserved better than such a conniving wife.

“Hi…” Yunho spoke to the slightly elevated marble slab engraved with Bae Seulgi’s name and the years of her birth and death. Half a minute since he opened his mouth, he asked if saying ‘Hi’ is something you would tell the gravestone of a person you didn’t like.

Shaking his head, Yunho bent low and placed the bouquet of red roses on the grave. “Happy first anniversary… not so happy for you because it’s your death anniversary and all… but some people are relieved you're gone.” Himself included, Yunho thinks.

“I got you your favourite flowers… surprised I know? Me too.” Yunho chuckled bitterly. “I was one ing first class jerk. I didn’t even care about the names of the girls I ed. I can’t believe I changed so much. but you did right? That’s why you were scared of Jaejoong, the changes she brought in me. Why did you need to control me so much? you still don’t leave me alone…” Yunho closed his eyes and the same image that haunted him the past few days  reappeared making him open his eyes with a start.

“Why…. Must I see you die over and again? what kind of sick pleasure are you taking in that? I never wanted you to die. You were the one who pulled the ing trigger! Can’t you leave me alone? Leave me, and Jaejoong, and Junsu alone!”

His trembling hands rubbed his eyes that are hurting from exhaustion and frustration. Tiredly, he knelt before the grave, touching the roses a bit. “No woman will have the same place in my life as Jaejoong. she’s not like any other girl I had. She’s the only one I want. You're not Jaejoong, but you're not like those other girls either. You thought you’d be dumped just like them didn’t you? Of course you did. You were conceited enough to kill yourself than live a life beneath you. You wouldn’t stand being treated like trash.”

Yunho picked a rose from the bouquet. “You see this… you never told me what flowers you liked. I just knew. Even Jaejoong had to tell me what her favourite flowers were before I could guess them. I paid attention, you know. Just like a student does to his teacher. You wore red a lot. Every time, we did it in a dark classroom, you’d put your red lipstick first before putting your clothes back on. I used to think if people were flowers, you’d be a red rose. And I was right, like a rose, you were full of thorns. I’m correct aren’t I? You never flinched hurting people… the redness of blood was fascinating to you.”

For a moment, Yunho felt disgusted which he quickly shook off. He stood up on his feet and dusted his pants. “I’m done with you. From now on, you have no control on me.” Yunho turned and walked away.

Getting into the chauffeured car outside the cemetery, he sent a message to his father that he’s on his way. As the car passed by the gates of the cemetery, he resolved never to see her again. “Goodbye Seulgi.”

~~~

“So I hear you're studying medicine…” Jaejoong shrugged and looked at the elderly man. “isn’t all of that information on that file right there?”

“I’m just trying to establish a rapport here.” Dr Shin pushes his glas

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter