Someday-II

Happily ever after-LLAF universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I highly recommend reading 'Someday' and 'Siblings' before reading this.

Someday-II

 

“Imo?” Jaejoong looked up from her desk and found Luhan peeking through the door.

“Hey sweetie…” she smiled at him. she noted it was around 7 in the evening and she can still see the navy blazer and striped tie of his school uniform on him. He should’ve been at home 2 hours ago with Jiyool.

“Did you come here straight from school? Are you hurt somewhere?” Jaejoong got up and walked to him.

Luhan shook his head, still hiding behind the door. “Not me…Yoolie-”

“What happened to Jiyool!?” Jaejoong shrieked yanking the door open. Luhan stumbled forward and landed face first in the ergonomic chair for guests in Jaejoong’s office. 

“Mama…”

Jaejoong’s eyes widened taking in her daughter’s appearance. Jiyool squirmed in her spot out of embarrassment. She’s counting her blessings because her mother didn’t have any patients there at the moment but the nurse on her service was there.

Speaking of which, said nurse had run to get towels to wipe the smears of salsa and salad dressing all over the 10 year old girl.

“Jiyool, who did this to you?” Jaejoong asked, eyeing that yellow strand in her daughter’s hair and praying it’s a noodle and not a worm.

“Mama…I…”

“She was the one who did it Imo. She started a food fight.” Jiyool shot her cousin a baleful glare but the boy just made a face that said ‘deal with it’. “I stayed back after school because she had detention.”

When he says it that way, he sounds like a martyr who had to sacrifice precious time for his little sister. Like hell! He went to the arcade opposite the school with Inwhan and Jongin. Taemin wanted to stay, not for Jiyool but to play with the boys but he had to go to his dance class.

“Okay, Jung Jiyool… start explaining.” Jaejoong crossed her arms and spoke in her ‘Mama’ voice that had the nurse stopping some distance from them.

“That Songah girl was trying to humiliate me in front of the school because I was eating a cheeseburger and she called me a ‘fat cow’ and I got angry and threw my soda on her and she put her salad on me and you can guess what happened after.” Jiyool said in one breath and scowled at the end of it. She doesn’t need that crap at her age. She’s already miffed at her growth rate while everyone in her family are giants. She blames Hyori because she’s the only other vertically-challenged Jung. And then not giving her petite frame any nutrition just because her peers want svelte figures she cares nothing about isn’t an option.

“God!” Jaejoong groaned. “I don’t know whether to be mad at you or not.” Usually, Moonbin is really good at being rational in such situations and helping his mother keep her sanity. But he’s on his first high school trip. She picked a stray lettuce off Jiyool’s shoulder. “Let’s get you cleaned first. Lord knows your father is going to burn down your school if he sees you like this.” she motioned for Luhan to come closer with the crook of her finger. “Lu, your mother is going home in 15 minutes. You go with her. I’ll bring Yoolie after I’m done cleaning her up.”

“I saw her going to the chief’s office.” The nurse piped in, passing Jaejoong a towel for Jiyool.

Luhan took his backpack from where he had left it on the couch and ran to his father’s office.

~~~

“What the hell is this!” Changmin slammed a file on the table in front of Kibum. It’s 8 years of medical history, Kibum’s fertility tests to be precise.

The new employee in the lab had sent it to Changmin’s office not knowing Kibum had been doing the test in secret for years with Gyuri’s help.

Kibum knows Changmin is aware of what’s in that file. So she doesn’t answer, her lips set in a straight line.

“Do not give me the silent treatment! How can you get fertility tests behind my back like that? Why do you even know if you can carry another child?”

“I didn’t tell you because there was nothing there to tell.” Kibum said, holding her arms as if shielding herself from her own thoughts. Changmin doesn’t know how it felt getting the piece of paper that said she got less than 20 percent chance to get pregnant again. Every time, the results would be disheartening. But she was hopeful and decided she’d tell Changmin, only when the odds are in her favour. If he knows the same thing as that piece of paper, then there’s nothing to tell him.

“There is nothing to tell? This is nothing?” Changmin wasn’t yelling but his tone was harsh and hurt. “You want to put me through that again and call it nothing. Twice, Kibum! Twice, I went through that nightmare and you have the nerve to go behind my back for this! we decided. You promised we wouldn’t ever want another child.”

“You think I can live with that?” Kibum yelled, her emotions and tears bursting free. “Why do you think the worst? It doesn’t have to be like the first time, haven’t I proved it? it’s not twice, Changmin. it’s that one time. We lost our child the first time but then Luhan was born. We survived. Me and Luhan both survived and it was because of the support from you and our family and friends. And if god wishes to give us a second child I wish to get the same support from you and everyone. It doesn’t have to be the worst case scenario. Why don’t you get that?"

"You have no right to belittle my feelings about this. I am a part of this and I get a say. And I don’t want to go through that again.” Changmin was trembling agitatedly. He wanted to throw things. and he did. He grabbed the file and threw across the room. “that thing, is you not counting me in our marriage. Love and support, haven’t I given you that? You know that if you got pregnant, I’d support you, but I will not intentionally get you pregnant just so I can go through that turmoil again. Do you have any idea what I went through when you were pregnant with Luhan. Every day I had nightmares. For 10 minutes, I hated Luhan. I saw him as a murderer. I will not lose you and I will not make any child of mine suffer because you are too selfish to count your husband’s feelings."

That almost offended Kibum. Not think about her husband? She always has him on her mind. “But didn't all those nightmares turn to be a blessing when you held Luhan for the first time. Didn't you forget all our pains when you held little lulu for the first time."

Changmin gritted his teeth. "You were not there to see how I felt. My mind was occupied by you. I did not see the baby. I didn't want. I didn’t hold Luhan that time because I loathed that baby till I knew you were alright. Holding Luhan didn’t end my nightmare. Knowing you were alive ended it.”

“Why don’t you get it? I’m not getting pregnant now even if you're a who doesn’t sleep in the same bed as me. I’m talking of someday Changmin. Someday, I might be able to get pregnant, or like the last two times, I do get pregnant. I just want you to-”

Kibum’s words died when they heard some rattling outside the room. The two of them stared at the door, anticipating somebody. They had just remembered they’re in the hospital and anyone could just enter into their argument conversation.

A good five minutes had passed, no one entered. It looked like no would. But it wasn’t like they were going to continue what they were doing. Changmin grabbed his bag and started putting his stuff in it.

“We’re not talking about this here.” Kibum nodded. She took her bag and went and got the file that was on the floor. The cover of it was folded and torn slightly due to the impact. “I’ll wait for you outside.”

“No, I-” Changmin began but clenched his fists to control himself. “I need some space. Take your car.”

Without a word, Kibum left the room, though her face showed she was close to tears.

~~~

Luhan was never one for confrontations.

Every time he did a prank and his mother would come yelling at him, he’d hide behind Moonbin because he is really scared when someone raises his voice.

That one time he saw his grandparents fighting had scared him. Since he was a toddler, he was prone to night terrors and it always had to do with his family. So when he would see any conflict in the family, he would feel his terrors come to life and he’d have a panic attack.

Only his parents and Moonbin can help him out of it.

That’s why, when he heard his parents arguing today, he didn’t know what to do. He couldn’t hear because they weren’t that loud and his own brain was cloudy with fear.

Fear was his natural reaction to shouting grownups.

But it’s the first time he’s witnessed his parents being like that. So he got really scared. Standing outside, he felt suffocated.

He had grabbed the doorknob to open it and run to his mother. She always comforted him when he was having one of his rare panic attacks. At least they are rare because everyone takes care not to argue in front of him.

But knowing his parents are at each other’s throats on the other side of the door made Luhan go rigid. Try as he might, he couldn’t turn the knob, fearing he’d see his parents like he’s never seen them before.

So he bolted.

He was first brisk-walking, then he slowed down 10 minutes later. By then he realised he had taken that alley behind the hospital and had landed god knows where.

He can see the back of the hospital building, he thought he could walk to it, but came across two dead-ends in two alleys.

The third one smelled like someone died there.

“How did I even land up here?” Luhan scratched his head. He tried to recall any signs, landmarks, he crossed on the way here. He can’t fathom he was in such a daze to have walked all the way here, when he can see the top of the tall hospital building from where he was standing and not find the way back to it.

Like, how ridiculous is it when you can see your destination yet not find the simple route to it. and he’s scared to go further because this area is unfamiliar and with less population.

Who knows, if he lands up in a forest being chased by a chainsaw-wielding psychopath and there’s no human around to help him.

Okay, he maybe watching too many of those thrillers he puts Taemin and Jongin too but he should be around human habitation right?

He decided he’ll take a cab. He might not know where he is, but he knows his destination and a cab would just take him there. But first he should check his wallet first. Without taking it out lest someone snatches it, he checked how much money he had on him with the wallet in his bag.

He shouldn’t have spent so much on those games. Now he has only half the cab fare to go from his family’s hospital to their home. And from this unknown destination, how much it could cost. 

Luhan thought might as well call for help. He fished out his phone from his pocket. He was about to dial for his father but decided against it.

Seeing his parents just now, he was hesitant. He doesn’t want to call Yunho because the man’s office is 2 hours away from the hospital itself, how much time would it take him to come this place Luhan doesn’t even know about the place he’s standing to give directions. The only person he can think of is his grandfather. He’s closer and knows the city well.

The phone answered in the first ring. “yes, Lu?” Jihoon said happily. He doesn’t realise Luhan should be at home by now or what state he’s in.

“Harabeoji, I’m- huh?... harabeoji? Hello?” Luhan was taken aback by the beeping sound and the sudden silence of his phone. He looked at his phone and saw the empty battery sign on it. “Dammit!” Luhan nearly threw the device on the ground. His day just kept getting worse.

At his wit’s end, he knew he had to rely on other people. But the people he relies on should be reliable too.

He looked around and saw an old woman walking down the sidewalk. He approached the woman while trying not to come across as desperate and lost.

“Excuse me ajhumma…” Luhan said politely.

The old lady looked at him. She was quite surprised by his manners. “Hello there… what a sweet little boy.” She shouldn’t have said that.

Now Luhan was thinking about Hansel and Gretel. Would he be Hansel or Gretel? Jiyool should be Gretel right?

Not the time…

“Er…can you tell me where’s the nearest police station?” Luhan went straight to the point because this lady looks like those old crazy women who lure kids with good food and then never let them out of their house.

“Would you like a cookie?” Luhan wishes he didn’t think. Apparently, his thoughts were so strong, they manifested themselves.

“Oh! what d’ya know! There’s a sign board with the station’s direction.” Luhan said a mental thanksgiving prayer to whatever deity he believes in or his parents believe in and ran in the direction the sign board pointed for the police station.

~~~

“Excuse me officer…” the uniformed man looked up from the paperwork he was doing.

“Hello there kid, you lost?” he asked and Luhan nodded.

“How did you know?”

“Well, when a kid shows up here without any bruises, it’s clear they’re lost.”

“If they have bruises?”

“They’re either abused or abandoned.”

Luhan cringed at that thought. He’s fortunate to have such a loving extended family. “Well, I’m lost only. I know my home buy I don’t know how to get there.”

“No problem. We’ll help you.” The officer stood up, “Now we can’t take you to your place because it would be complicated and there’s paperwork to be filed in such cases. So is there someone we can call?” the policeman was already reaching for the phone.

Luhan rubbed his nape while smiling sheepishly, “About that…you know the cell phone age and all….so difficult to remember phone numbers these days.”

To Luhan’s relief, the officer only chuckled and nodded understandingly, “I know what you're saying. Does your phone have your parents’ numbers?”

“My phone’s dead and I don’t have a charger.” Luhan said dejectedly when he remembered something. “You guys must have the contacts with hospitals right?”

“Yes we do.”

“You know the hospital nearby, Cassiopeia Gen?”

“The one run by the richest family in the country, Yup.”  

That had Luhan pausing for a moment. If he said he’s one of the heirs of the said richest family of the country, the police are going to think he’s pranking them. have to be as discreet as possible.

“Y-yeah, that one. My parents- I mean, my mother works there, in paediatrics. Can you contact her?”

With a smile, the cop picked up the phone on his desk. “Yes, it’s detective Choi here. I’m looking for a doctor in your hospital.” 

~~~

Kibum and Changmin entered the house together, but really, it was as if they weren’t together. They drove here separately, only seeing each other when Changmin drove into the estate five minutes after Kibum.

When they entered, two maids took their bags and rushed to keep it in the joint study of the in-house doctors.

They heard laughter and found Jaejoong and Yunho with Jiyool on Yunho’s lap. All three were sitting in the lounge, with Yunho pouting at something and the two females laughing probably at him.

“Come on daddy! I don’t have to be fat so boys will stay away from me.” Jiyool said teasingly while squeezing her father’s cheek.

“Yes, you don’t have to be fat…” Jaejoong sighed in relief when Yunho was being what she thought, sensible. “You need a bodyguard. I know this man who can hook me up to a black cat commando.”

That earned Yunho a smack from Jaejoong. “Yah! No commandoes and Yoolie can eat whatever she wants.”

“But Boo~ if she eats she’ll get nutrition and she’ll grow.”

“That’s the premise.” Jaejoong deadpanned.

“Nooooo!” Yunho whined like a baby and hugged Jiyool close, “I won’t her to be my tiny little baby.”

“Is this why I don’t grow? Coz of daddy’s wishful thinking.” Jiyool asked, trying to swat her daddy’s kissy face away from her. she’s too old for that.

Jaejoong shook her head. “Nah! It’s your genes. Both your grandmothers are short.” Jaejoong made a big show of wiping sweat from her brow, “I’m so glad I only have my mother’s face and brain. If daddy wasn’t tall, I’d be like Mama. You know there was a stool reserved for her in every OR when she was working?”

“At least your mother didn’t think a stool is ‘an abomination to short people’.” Yunho parroted the words Hyori once yelled out.

“We’re home.” Kibum announced their arrival, though Changmin was defiantly silent.

Jaejoong smile, “Hey! Where were you guys? You were supposed to be home before me. Did you guys take Lulu out or something?”  Jaejoong tried to see behind her dongsaengs in search of Luhan.

“No..” Changmin spoke for the first time. “He’s supposed to be home isn’t it?” Changmin frowned and so did Jaejoong.

“Did you not see him?” Jaejoong asked.

“Samchon, Lulu oppa and I went to the hospital after school. He was going to come home with you.” Jiyool explained.

Kibum and Changmin exchanged glances, both equally clueless about Luhan. “I didn’t see him. and I know Min didn’t either.”

“Guys! Are you in here?” Came Jihoon’s yell from the front door. He and Hyori came inside the lounge. “Hey, where’s Lulu. He called me earlier.”

“He called you? Where is he?” Yunho asked.

“I don’t know. He called me when we were with Yoochun’s parents and then cut the call. When I tried to call him back, that automated voice said the phone is switched off.” Jihoon explain.

“He’s not answering his phone.” Jaejoong said holding her phone she just used. Hyori tried and the same automated voice answered.

“Yoolie, tell me exactly. Where did Luhan go?” Yunho asked his daughter and the sudden attention on her nearly made her cry thinking she was responsible.

Jaejoong rubbed Jiyool’s back to comfort her while looking at Yunho. “Yun, I was there with Lulu and Yoolie and when I was helping Yoolie, I told Lulu to come home with Kibum since they were leaving first.” Jaejoong looked at Kibum. “The nurse said you were in Changmin’s office.”

“He heard us…” Changmin said under his breath. It was clear that he heard them fighting and knowing Luhan, he had a panic attack. But if it was a panic attack, then Luhan would at least be there around the hospital. If he’s missing, then it implied Luhan’s flight instinct kicked in and he could be anywhere now with no communication.

Kibum though, was not as controlled as he is. “Oh my god! It’s all my fault. It’s all my fault.” She burst into tears and Hyori rushed to her but Jaejoong was looking at Changmin for an explanation.

“It’s not your fault…” Changmin said simply. He wasn’t thinking about his wife now. he had other things on his mind, the possible places his son would have gone to for instance.

“Honey, calm down. why are you saying it’s your fault?” Hyori hushed Kibum in her arms.

“It’s my fault. I was selfish and I wanted another child and now I’m going to lose my only baby. It’s because of my selfishness. It’s my fault.” Kibum cried.

“At least you know you're selfish.” Again with Changmin’s whisper but it was loud enough for everyone to glare at him. Jiyool was bold enough to smack him in the stomach which wasn’t much considering her opponents size and rockhard abs but the sentiment was packed in that punch.

“Can we not act like Luhan’s lost for good without searching for him first?” Yunho yelled, taking out his phone. “Let’s call Siwon and Yoochun to see if he’s with them. If not we’ll check in that arcade near the school and the park the boys play baseball at. Worst comes to worst, we call Moonbin and ask for a longer list of areas Luhan would go.”   

“Let’s divide.” Jihoon ordered. “Yunho and Jaejoong, check at the school. Kibum and Changmin, around the hospital. I’ll go to the park.”

“Yoolie and I will stay here in case he comes.” Hyori said and looked at her husband, “can you ask some of your cop friends to help.”

“No, let’s wait till we exhaust our options first mom.” Changmin interrupted and to Kibum’s surprise, he grabbed her hand and walked to the door. “Let’s go…”

Yunho and Jaejoong ran to Yunho’s car near Changmin’s. “Siwon’s meeting you at the hospital to help. Yoochun and Junsu are checking with his classmates.”

Changmin nodded and got in the car while Yunho and Jaejoong got inside theirs. Kibum got a call while she was sitting inside.

“Stephanie, I’m busy. I’ll talk to you la-”

“A police officer called.” Kibum put her hand on Changmin’s shoulder halting him from starting the car. The nurse continued. “The man said one o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter