Chapter 9: Jongin's confession

The House For Broken Teens

”Mom? Dad?” I yelled around as I approached the infamous barn in our backyard. I had never been there before since I was never allowed to, but I couldn’t find my parents anywhere.  I pushed the heavy door open. It creaked as I stepped into the pitch dark barn. I looked for the light switch with the tips of my fingers and soon found it. The switch made a clicking sound as the barn was slowly lit up. Then I saw it.

Blood. Blood everywhere. Right in the middle of the building, was a gigantic table. On the table was a woman with long, red hair. The woman’s face had frozen into a look full of horror. I gasped before walking up to her.

“Miss, are you okay?” I whispered as I looked into her murky eyes. My eyes travelled down to her neck.

Her head was no longer attached to her body.

I let out a piercing scream as I saw the stump that used to be her neck.

“MIRANDA!” I heard my dad yell. I turned away from the woman and saw him standing on the doorway, looking absolutely furious. His hands were clenched into fists and veins were bulging on his forehead.

“We have told you to stay away from here, haven’t we?” his voice was low but scary. I took a few steps back as he took a few steps towards me. I tripped on something on the ground and fell on my .

“ANSWER ME!” Dad’s voice boomed through the barn. I nodded while trying to crawl backwards. My hands slipped on the blood on the ground and I hit my head. Dad stomped right next to me and grabbed my hair and pulled me up.

“You, Miranda, will be sorry you were ever born” he whispered to my ear. I screamed all the way back to the house.

*Kris’ POV*

I woke up to a loud scream. I immediately recognized it.

Annie.

I jumped out of bed and ran to her bedroom.  I the lights and saw her, tossing and turning in her sleep. She was still screaming. I ran to her bed and gently shook her.

“Annie, wake up.” Her eyes slowly fluttered open. Her breathing was hard, as if she wasn’t getting enough oxygen. I saw Tao in the doorway, shocked.

“Tao, could you get her a glass of water, please?” I asked him. Tao abruptly nodded and sprinted towards the kitchen. I pulled Annie into a hug.

“Calm down. It’s okay, you’re safe. It was just a bad dream” I told her, rubbing circles into her back. Her breathing slowly got better. Jongdae, Yixing, Baekhyun and Sehun had appeared to the doorway also.

“Gosh, Annie, are you okay?” Yixing sat down next to her.

“Nightmare. I had a nightmare” she squeaked and I noticed that she was crying.

“I know, honey, I know.” Tao brought her the glass of water; I helped her drink it and then told everybody to go back to bed.

“Okay, now I’ll definitely stay here with you” I told Annie. I tucked her back to bed and laid down next to her. I made sure to keep a distance, but stayed close enough for her to know that I was there. She stopped crying soon enough and fell asleep.

*Annie’s POV*

I remembered Kris staying with me after my nightmare, but when I woke up, he wasn’t there anymore. Instead, I found a card sitting on my nightstand. A horribly malformed Totoro was drawn on it, apparently in a rush with a pencil. I flipped the card around and read what was written behind it.

Dear Annie

We’ve already left for work and school. Minseok and Kyungsoo will take care of you today. Your job is to rest. We’ll talk when we’re home.

With love, Kris, Luhan, Tao, Chanyeol, Jongdae, Baekhyun, Sehun, Yixing, ahjumma and ahjussi.

I set the card down on the nightstand and flung myself out of bed. I dragged myself to the bathroom and decided to take a bath. I placed the plug on the bottom of the tub and opened the tap. As I let the hot water fill the tub I turned to the sink and splashed some water on my face. I looked at my pale reflection in the mirror and gawked at the awful sight. Even though I had only had one sleepless night, my eyes had dark circles around them like a raccoon. I slightly lifted my shirt to reveal some nasty bruises on my stomach. I slapped both of my cheeks lightly a few times before turning back to the tub.

After my bath, Kyungsoo brought me breakfast and insisted that I stayed in bed. I told him that I didn’t want to spend the whole day alone, so I, he and Minseok all snuggled up in the theater. We watched Disney movies the entire morning. When Kyungsoo went to make lunch for three of us, I and Minseok began to watch Bambi. I was never the person to cry when watching movies, but this time, when Bambi’s mother died, I felt tears flowing down my cheeks.

“Hey, kid, why are you crying?” Minseok asked when he noticed. I shook my head as I tried to wipe the tears away.

“I don’t know. This doesn’t usually happen; I guess I’m still kind of emotional from yesterday. Wait, did you just call me ‘kid’? Why?” Minseok smiled softly and ruffled my hair.

“Because that’s what you are, silly.”

“Minseok, how old are you?” I studied his facial features, realizing that in this lighting, without his usual uniform and serious look, he could’ve easily passed as someone my age.

“I’m 25, why?” he simply answered, showing some popcorn into his mouth. I stared at him blankly.

“25? But you look so much younger than that.” Minseok turned his face to me. His mouth was full of popcorn, making him look like a little chipmunk. He had the widest grin on his face.

“Aw, thank you, Annie. Some of my friends and family call me ‘Baozi’ because they say my cheeks look like buns and make me look like a kid” he mumbled through the popcorn. I giggled at him quietly.

“Is that a smile I see? Fantastic!” Minseok squealed and pulled me into a hug.

 

After taking a nap in my bedroom, I was just lying in my bed as I was too lazy to sit up. I was almost falling asleep again when I heard a knock. Before I had the time to answer, Kyungsoo quietly opened the door and pushed his head in.

“Wake up, sleepyhead” he grinned widely.

“There’s someone here to see you” Kyungsoo continued as he gathered some empty glasses and mugs from my nightstand. I rubbed my eyes and yawned.

“Who is it?”

“Shall I send the person in?” I let out a laugh when I stretched my muscles.

“You sound like my personal butler. Yes, please.” Kyungsoo bowed ninety degrees.

“Yes, ma’am” he said officially and then left my room laughing. I shook my head at his weirdness before I heard another knock from my already open door. I looked over and I saw Jongin standing, holding a bundle of white lilies.

“Hey. Is it okay if I come in for a minute?” I could only nod as a response. Jongin carefully stepped inside and closed the door behind him. He slowly walked over to my bed and held the flowers out to me.

“These are for you as kind an… uh… apology” he mumbled. I took the flowers from him.

“Thank you. They’re lovely. Take a seat” I patted a spot on my bed. Jongin nodded and sat down.

“I need to tell you something, Annie.” I sensed the seriousness in his voice as he continued.

“About what happened yesterday… I… I knew that it would happen. I knew about their plans and I didn’t tell you. I’m so sorry.” I had to blink a few times to fully understand what he had just said.

“W-what do y-you mean?” I stuttered finally. Jongin looked at me apologetically and rubbed his neck before sighing.

“I found out about that on Friday. I tried to stop them the whole weekend. That’s why I was so tired on Monday. And then Tuesday rolled around… I knew that our grade would be setting up the articles during our free period and that’s why I asked you to skip class with me. And then I asked you to get my imaginary pencil case from the library so we’d be late and they wouldn’t be there anymore. I should’ve told you. I’m sorry.” We both sat there in silence after his confession. Jongin silently watched me as tears fell from my eyes.

“Annie. Please say something. Please” he whispered and took my hand in his. I immediately pulled it away and wiped my cheeks with it.

“I can’t believe you knew. Why didn’t you tell me?” Jongin shrugged, his eyes getting teary too.

“I don’t know… I guess I… was afraid that if I told you everyone they would think of me as a loser and-“

“Get out” I said quietly.

“What?”

“I said get out. Go. Leave me alone.” Apparently Jongin couldn’t quite grasp what I had just said, since he was sitting there, staring at me with his mouth hanging open.

“I don’t want you here. Go” I said again. This time, Jongin slowly stood up but didn’t leave.

“Didn’t you hear me? Leave!” Jongin flinched at my loud voice. He bowed at me.

“Okay. I’m so sorry, Annie. I really am” he mumbled before exiting my bedroom. I threw the lilies to the floor. Right after he left, Kris barged in.

“Hey, Annie, what was llama brain doing here? And more importantly, why are you crying?” I hid myself under the comforter.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay okay okay. Before ya'll go like "WHERES MY MINSEOK`?!" I would like to defend myself by saying that originally I had a scene with Minseok and Annie baking together, but I felt like it was way too happy for this chapter and it didn't fit in. So, I just gave you a little bit of Minseok but I swear to include him more from now on. 

Jongin, what a rat you are! 

Anyways, you guys know how I loooove comments, so.... (Yes, this was a hint) 

Imma just give you your gif and start working on the next chapter. Our star for this chapter is: 

Baozi Xiumin! *Gif not mine*

MissNeverland out!