Chapter 15: My teacher Kim Joonmyeon

The House For Broken Teens

Annie’s POV

”Annie, tonight we’re having people over for dinner. Please, dress nicely” Jongdae informed as soon as the boys got home from school. I dropped the pile stuff to the floor and followed him to the hallway.

“What? Who? How nicely?” Hearing all my questions, Jongdae stopped in his tracks and turned around.

“The Kim’s and the Kim’s are coming over for dinner. I suppose a nice dress will do.”

“The whos and the whats?” I asked, still confused. Jongdae laughed.

“The Kim’s as in Jongin’s family. And the other Kim’s as in Kris’ friend, Joonmyeon and his parents” he answered and went to his bedroom. I saw Sehun going into his room and ran after him.

“Oppa! When are the dinner quests coming?” Sehun threw his schoolbag on the ground and loosened the tie around his neck.

“Six o’clock. I suppose that Jongdae already told you to dress nicely?” I nodded briskly in response. Sehun smirked a bit before throwing his jacket on his bed.

“Good. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll go take a shower.” I left his bedroom and shut the door behind me.

Dress nicely? I don’t know how to do that!

So I decided to start with taking a bath. After that, I got dressed in my normal clothes and dried my hair. I picked up a curling iron from my dresser and carried it to ahjumma’s bedroom.

“Ah, ahjumma?” I carefully asked when I saw her sitting on her bed, putting earrings on. She was wearing a long, black gown that was absolutely beautiful.

“Yes, darling, can I help you with anything?” I waved the curling iron in my hand.

“Could you help me to curl my hair?”

“Sure, honey” she answered with friendly tone.

After curling my hair, ahjumma helped me pick out a dress. She pulled out a white, lacy dress from my closet and I nodded.

“That’s pretty. But I didn’t even know I had that.” Ahjumma even lent me a pair of diamond earrings and a matching bracelet. When I was done, I went downstairs to see if Kyungsoo was handling everything. The entire kitchen was steaming like a sauna. In the middle of the steam, Kyungsoo was running around, grabbing pans and pots and chopping things.

“Kyungsoo, are you okay? Do you need like help or something?” I asked him as I tried to flail the steam away. Kyungsoo grinned, but by the wideness of his eyes I could tell that he was panicking.

“I’m fine, thanks. Go greet the guests; they should be here any minute.” He guided me towards the door and pushed me to the hallway.

“Are you sure that you’re okay?”

“I’m great. You look great, by the way” he said before closing the door. I shrugged and saw that everyone was gathering in the hallway. I pushed myself between Chanyeol and Jongdae.

“Are they coming soon?” I asked impatiently. All of the boys and ahjussi were dressed in custom-made black suits.

“You guys look like grown-ups” I told them in awe from their looks. Everybody laughed at my comment.

“And you sound like a five-year-old” Jongdae said before ruffling my hair and fixing his cufflinks. I pouted as I mumbled:

“It was meant to be a compliment…”

“Baekhyun, sweetie, could you please fix your tie?” ahjumma waved her hand towards Baekhyun. Baekhyun simply brushed his hand over his tie, clearly not fixing the problem.

“Sweetie, it’s still not okay” ahjumma sighed. That’s when I stomped my way in front of him and tightened his tie. I tucked the end of it into his jacket and stomped back to my place. Baekhyun laughed when I crossed my arms on my chest.

“You know, you’re becoming more like ahjumma day by day” he said, earning a glare from ahjumma.

“There’s nothing wrong with that” she quickly said, still glaring at Baekhyun. Then I heard a car pulling up on our driveway. As I looked around, I saw everybody frantically straightening their clothing and adjusting their watches. I followed their lead and pulled my dress down a little bit. I ran my fingers through my hair before ahjussi opened the door and yelled:

“Good to see you!” I looked over his shoulder and saw two men and one woman. Ahjussi happily hugged the older man and the woman, before ahjumma did the same.

“It feels like forever since we’ve last seen!” ahjumma exclaimed cheerfully. The younger man went up to Kris and hugged him.

“Good to see you, Kris” he said. Kris violently patted his back.

“You too, hyung. You too.” The man simply greeted everyone else by saying ‘hi,’ but then Kris dragged me next to him.

“Joonmyeon-hyung, this is Annie. Annie, this is Joonmyeon” he waved his hand between the two of us. I nodded as I looked at Joonmyeon, and may I say that he was rather good-looking. He was smiling like an angel when he shook my hand.

“So nice to finally meet you, Annie. Kris has told me a lot about you” he said with a soft voice. I looked at Kris who pretended that he didn’t see me. I looked back at Joonmyeon and smiled.

“Nice to meet you too, Joonmyeon.” I was then introduced to Joonmyeon’s parents. His mother pulled me into a bone-crushing hug and his dad shook my hand accordingly. Ahjussi led the Kim family into the living room while the rest of us stayed in the foyer, waiting for Jongin and his family.

As soon as Jongin stepped inside the house, I saw each and every one of the boys clenching their fists. Their lips were pressed into firm lines as they watched him and his mother hugging ahjumma. Jongin then gave me a hug also.

“You look beautiful” he whispered, making sure that no one else heard it.

“Thank you. You look great too” I replied just as quietly. I shook hands with Jongin’s mother. Jongin was awkwardly standing in front of the boys, not even daring to make eye contact with them. Ahjumma noticed the awkwardness.

“Guys, why aren’t you greeting Jongin?” she gently slapped Kris who snapped out of his loathing-Jongin-coma and lazily waved his hand.

“Hey.” The rest of them followed Kris’ bold lead and quietly mumbled their greetings. Jongin was still very nervous when he politely bowed.

“Hello” he said quietly. Ahjumma lead Jongin’s mother to the living room, everybody else following after her except me and Jongin. Jongin held his arm out and smiled at me.

“Shall we go?” I nodded and linked my arm with his.

 

Kyungsoo had worked really hard on the food. The whole dinner table was filled with all kinds of different foods, varying from salads to meats to home-made breads. Kyungsoo himself was acting as a butler, pouring drinks and serving the foods and things like that. When I asked him to refill my glass, he dropped a small, folded piece of paper into my lap. I thanked him and opened the paper under the table.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but Joonmyeon has been ogling you the entire time ;) – Kyungsoo

I carefully looked up at Joonmyeon, and indeed, he was looking straight at me. When he noticed that I was looking at him, he quickly looked down at his drink. Kyungsoo stood at the bleachers with a big grin.

Told you so he mouthed to me and winked. I felt Jongin elbowing my side. He leaned closer, put his hand to his mouth and whispered:

“I thought you were supposed to do something about them hating me, huh?” He was so close that I felt his lips on my earlobe.

“Kris and Luhan have been glaring at me all night. Both of them look like they would happily watch me get lathered with bleach and then set on fire” Jongin continued. I grinned at him before whispering:

“Don’t worry; I’ll talk to them later. Until that, if there happens to be a bottle of bleach and matchsticks nearby, I will personally you far away from them.” I patted his shoulder and went back to eating my dinner. I saw Kris saying something to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo disappeared for a while, and when he came back, he walked over to me.

“Annie, do you need anything?” I shook my head.

“No thanks Kyungsoo, I’m fine.” Before leaving, Kyungsoo dropped another piece of paper into my lap. I read it under the table.

Hey, listen you! No flirting with llama brain, got it? And you both better keep your hands where I can see them!!! – your brother who loves you very much, Totoro-Kris

I gave Kris a questioning look, to which he replied by nodding seriously. Not bothering to silently argue with him, I obediently nodded back and went back to my dinner.

I heard that the conversation between the adults turned to Joonmyeon’s occupation. Like Kris had told me once before, he was a teacher. He looked really young, so I just had to ask him about his age.

“Joonmyeon, I hope you don’t mind me asking, but how old are you?” Joonmyeon took a sip from his drink before answering:

“I’m 21.” Kris obviously saw my puzzled expression, because he proudly patted Joonmyeon’s back and looked at me.

“See, Annie, the thing is that Joonmyeon-hyung is a genius.”

“I’m not a genius. I just got to skip some grades because they were way too easy for me” Joonmyeon corrected. His mother decided to join in to the conversation.

“Our Joonmyeonnie is great at his profession, but right now he is sadly unemployed” she said, making Joonmyeon blush.

“Mother…” he mumbled. Ahjumma dropped her fork onto her plate and screamed out:

“Unemployed? That’s fantastic!” Everybody turned to look at her, shocked.

“Ahjumma, how is somebody’s unemployment a good thing?” Sehun asked while grinning. Ahjumma looked at me, then at Joonmyeon.

“Well, of course it’s not a good thing, but don’t you think it’s like fate or something that we need a teacher for Annie and Joonmyeon is a teacher looking for work?”

“Ahjumma, are you offering me a job?” Joonmyeon’s eyes lit up. Ahjumma nodded.

“I am. You can still keep looking for other jobs, if you want to. Teaching Annie would just give you something to do meanwhile.” Joonmyeon looked at me.

“Well, Annie, would you accept me as your teacher?”

“Only if you accept stupidity” I grinned.

“As a teacher my job is to prevent stupidity. But I guess it’s a deal then. Thank you so much.”

 

After dinner the “adults” or ahjumma, ahjussi, Joonmyeon’s parents and Jongin’s mom gathered in the library to “catch up.” In reality, I saw ahjussi carrying a tray of five glasses and a large whisky bottle.

So us “kids” were sitting in the living room, some of us engaged in a conversation. I was sitting next to Jongin, shielding him from the boys. I saw Kris eyeing him like he really would gladly take part in skinning Jongin alive. It was making Jongin really uncomfortable. I decided that I needed to have a quick conversation with Kris. I stood up and fixed my dress.

“I’ll go get something to drink. Does anyone else want anything?” I asked and looked around. Everybody else shook their heads except Jongin who tugged on the hem of my dress.

“Ah, if you don’t mind, some Coke would be nice” he said quietly. I smiled and nodded and turned to Kris.

“Kris, could you please come and help me?” I raised my eyebrows, hoping that he would catch the hint.

“Why should I? Get your own damn drinks” he growled.

“But I can’t reach the top shelf where the glasses are.”

“The glasses are not on the-“

“Kris, come on, now!” I told him and stomped towards the kitchen. Kris reluctantly followed behind me. When I walked into the kitchen, I saw Kyungsoo fast asleep. He was sitting on one of the stools, with his head resting on the counter. I gently shook him.

“Kyungsoo.” He jerked his head up.

“Sorry, I’ll get back to cleaning” he mumbled as he slid out of his seat. I looked around and the kitchen was squeaky clean.

“Kyungsoo, this place is spotless. Go to my room and take a nap.”

“No, I can’t. I can’t get myself fired.” Kyungsoo couldn’t even keep his eyes open. I patted his back.

“And you won’t. Now seriously, go to my bed, get yourself comfortable and take a nap. I’ll wake you up if anyone needs you, okay? That’s an order. Now go.” He rubbed his eyes, nodded and waddled upstairs. I turned back to Kris who was standing on the doorway.

“Kris, could you please stop glaring at Jongin?” Kris snorted.

“No way. He’s an .”

“But it’s making him really uncomfortable. And me too” I said, waving a bottle of Coke towards him. I poured some of it into two glasses and put the bottle into the fridge.

“I know that you’re not happy with what he did, and neither am I, but he deserves another chance. Please just stop.” Kris sighed heavily.

“Fine, I’ll stop. But that doesn’t mean that I’ll forgive him” he pointed his finger at me seriously. I nodded.

“That’s good. Thank you.” I carried the two glasses into the living room and handed one to Jongin. He thanked me with a smile and I sat down next to him.

“So Annie, maybe tomorrow we should go schoolbook shopping?” Joonmyeon asked me.

“Sure. Just tell me when and where.”

“Well, the beauty about homeschooling is that we don’t have to start super early sooo… I say let’s start lightly tomorrow. We’ll meet in front of the big bookstore at 8.30. Minseok knows where the store is. Also, I have homework for you.” I threw my head back and whined.

“Joonmyeon∼ You’ve been my teacher for what, twenty minutes? And you’re already giving me homework! Joonmyeon∼ It’s not fair.” Joonmyeon noticed my joking tone and laughed.

“Don’t worry, you just have to write a list of which books you already have. Nothing more” he said reassuringly.

“And besides, hyung, 8.30 is not starting lightly” Jongdae pointed out, making Joonmyeon laugh again.

 

After everybody left, it was already almost ten o’clock. I asked Minseok if he could take Kyungsoo home, and he agreed. I woke Kyungsoo up and walked with him to Minseok’s car. Before I went to bed, I read a text received from Jongin:

Hey Annie! Thanks for protecting me today^^ I hope they’ll forgive me someday. My dad’s coming home tomorrow so I’ll talk to him then. Anyways ah… Thanks again and I’m glad that from now on you’ll be a part of these dinners. Well… Good night and dream of me! ;) - Jongin

Kris’ POV:

That night, I lay in bed, very satisfied with myself. My plan to get Annie closer to Joonmyeon and farther away from Jongin was possibly starting to work. No, scratch that, it was working. I had already succeeded in phase one: Make Annie and Joonmyeon meet on a daily basis. Phase two was to make her forget about Jongin. Phase three was to give Jongin something else to keep him interested. I hadn’t exactly decided on phase four yet, but whatever it was going to be, I was going to make sure that after that, Jongin and Annie would never spare another thought on each other. 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WU YI FAN HOW CAN YOU MAKE SCHEMES LIKE THAT YOU JERK 

lol just kidding. 

So there's Suho for y'all! 

And there he is with his angelic smile :) *Gif not mine* 

Thanks for reading guys :) Leave a comment telling me what you think! See you soon!