Chapter 4: Breakfast thief

The House For Broken Teens

I rolled over in my bed and glanced at the clock. 01.12 am. I groaned at the fact that I’d been rolling around for well over three hours. Since I still didn’t feel sleepy, I swiftly jumped out of bed and turned the lights on. I put my glasses on and stared at the moving boxes.

Where are my sleeping pills?

I looked through the boxes and did not find them. Sighing, I gathered my comforter and pillows and set myself down on the wide windowsill. I leaned my head against the window and closed my eyes.

I wish I was five again. I wish I still was the happy little girl I used to be. I wish I wasn’t so curious and that I never would’ve gone to that stupid barn and-

I heard a soft knock on my door.

“Come in” I whispered, trying not to wake the whole house up. The door creaked open and Chanyeol stepped in. He was obviously also in his pajamas, his hair was a mess and he was carrying a small tray with two mugs.

“Hey” he whispered.

“Are you okay?” he stepped inside and pushed the door close with his foot. I nodded. He placed the tray on the empty windowsill and handed me the other mug.

“Green tea. Helps you to sleep. Calms you down” he explained as he took the other mug and sat down next to me. He took a sip of his tea before asking me:

“What’s keeping you up so late?” I shrugged.

“How did you know I was up anyway?” I asked him.

“Yixing was sleep walking to the music room, so I took him back to bed and then I saw the lights from your room. I figured that you couldn’t sleep so I made us a cup of tea.” I gave him a small smile.

“Now tell me what’s bothering you” he nudged my side gently.

“I’m fine. I’m sure you should be sleeping since you have school tomorrow” I advised Chanyeol and he laughed quietly.

“Look, my classes don’t start until ten am, and I’m not going until you tell me what’s keeping you up. Let me guess, it’s the strange house, isn’t it? Don’t worry, you’ll get used to it. I mean it. I was really confused too when I first got here. Especially because Yifan was really scary…” he grinned mischievously.

“Yeah, what’s up with him anyways?” Chanyeol shrugged.

“He had a hard childhood. Like all of us here I guess. He is kind of scary when you don’t know him really well, but trust me, he’s actually really kind. If someone he cares about is sad, he turns into like a giant care bear.” I giggled at the thought of Yifan dressed as a care bear.

“You’re thinking about Yifan dressed as a care bear, right?” I grinned and nodded. All of a sudden I yawned loudly.

“Am I really that boring because you haven’t even touched your tea yet?” Chanyeol chuckled quietly. I quickly took a sip of my tea. Chanyeol finished all of his tea in one huge gulp and stood up from his seat.

“Well, my lady, I’m going to sleep now. Finish your tea and do the same. If you need anything, I’m just down the hall, okay?”  He said while patting my head.

“Thanks, Chanyeol-shhi. Good night.” I answered quietly. He saluted me like a soldier and walked out of my bedroom. I finished my cup of tea and went back to bed. This time, it only took me a few minutes to fall asleep.

 

The next morning I woke up around seven o’clock. I dragged myself to the bathroom, took a quick shower and got dressed. I dried my hair a bit with a towel and headed to the kitchen. The kitchen was bustling with all the other residents in the house, including Kyungsoo and Minseok. I sat on one of the empty bar stools.

“Good morning!” I heard cheerful calls from all around me.

“Good morning” I mumbled sleepily. I was dead tired because of the lack of sleep the previous night. I buried my head into my arms and closed my eyes. I felt myself falling asleep again. Just then, I heard a loud ‘clank’ sound right next to my ear. My head immediately bolted up and I saw a smiling Kyungsoo. He had placed one glass, one cup and one bowl in front of me.

“Orange juice, hot chocolate and some fresh, chopped fruit. Eat up. You look like you didn’t sleep much” he told and stabbed a fork into the bowl of fruit. I picked up a piece of strawberry with the fork and shook my head.

“About six hours.” Just as I was putting the strawberry into my mouth, I felt a hand gripping my wrist. I saw Yifan, guiding the fork into his mouth and eating my strawberry. 

“Thanks” he said and ran out of the kitchen.

“Hey!” I yelled after him and pouted. Kyungsoo took a new strawberry from the fridge, cut it into four pieces and put them into my bowl. Suddenly Minseok clapped his hands.

“Boys, the car is leaving in five minutes” he announced, earning horrified looks from everybody. The boys quickly fled the kitchen to get their school bags or whatever. Mr. Song looked at his watch.

“Well, I really must get going now” he said, kissing Madam Song’s cheek. He came over to me and ruffled my hair.

“Have a good day, Annie” Mr. Song smiled before hurrying to the door.

“Bye!” he shouted and walked out.

“Bye!” me, Madam Song and Kyungsoo yelled in unison. I went back to eating my breakfast.

“So, Annie, after Minseok has taken the boys to school, he’ll pick us up and we’ll go shopping” Madam explained to me. I gave her a small smile.

“Sure.” All of a sudden the room was crowded again as the eight boys came to bid their farewells before leaving to school. All of them had exactly three sentences to say:

“Bye Annie.”

“Bye ahjumma.”

“Bye Kyungsoo.” As Yifan approached me I glared at him. He just smiled innocently. I thought he was going to steal another fruit from me, but instead he took a long sip from my orange juice. I watched him in disbelief as he set the glass back down and flashed me a smile.

“Welcome to the family, Annie.” I watched him disappear with everybody else. I stared at my now half-empty glass.

“My juice…” I sighed. Kyungsoo walked over to me with the orange juice carton, poured me some more and patted my head.

 

­­­­­­­What seemed like a thousand hours later, me, Madam and Minseok were back in the house. After thanking Madam for everything and helping Minseok bring everything to my bedroom, I went to the kitchen to see what Kyungsoo was doing. He smiled brightly when he saw me enter the kitchen and take a seat.

“Hey, Annie. How was shopping?” he kindly asked.

“I’m exhausted. Not that I’m not thankful or anything, it’s just that Madam dragged me from furniture shops to clothes shops and cosmetic shops. She even bought me a new cell phone, laptop and a tablet! Now there’s nothing that I don’t have!” I threw my hands in the air and Kyungsoo laughed.

“You see, ahjumma believes that her kids have to have everything, so that if they’re ever unhappy, it is not because they don’t own something.”

“That makes absolutely no sense.” Kyungsoo just shrugged in response.

“Hey, Kyungsoo, I know that you are like super busy and everything with dinner plans and stuff, but could you please make me a cup of that delicious hot chocolate?” I asked him as innocently as possible. He grinned.

“Well, since you asked so nicely, there’s absolutely no way I could possibly refuse.” He turned in his heels and went to grab a pot and some milk. After five minutes of watching his swift working, I received a steaming cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream on top.

 

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­“It’s Fridayyyyy!” I heard Baekhyun yelling from downstairs.

The boys are back from school.

I was up in my bedroom, trying to figure where to put all of my stuff. A huge wooden desk was sitting right in the middle of the room. I walked up to it and tried to give it push towards its’ new spot. The damn thing refused to move. I tried again. Still nothing. I even tried to lift it. I collapsed behind the desk.

“Knock knock!” Chanyeol yelled from behind the door.

“Idiot, you don’t have to say ‘knock knock,’ you can just, you know, knock” I heard Jongdae say to him. I giggled before screaming:

“Come in!” The door creaked open.

“Uh, Annie, where are you?” Sehun asked. I threw one hand in the air and waved it around.

“Right here.”

“What exactly are you doing?” Luhan climbed to the desk and dangled his legs on the edge.

“I tried to move it but the damn thing wouldn’t budge” I sighed. Luhan jumped off of the desk and walked to the other side of it.

“Where do want it?” I simply pointed to the spot between the two windows. Suddenly, the desk was lifted up and over me, to its’ spot. I sat up and stared at Yifan and Luhan, who were both now sitting on the desk on the other side of the room.

“Wha- how- I couldn’t-even move it like-an inch” I stuttered.

“Are you guys like, superheroes or something?” Yifan and Luhan grinned at each other.

“No” they said in unison. Jongdae placed a bag of neatly folded clothing into my lap.

“This is your school uniform. I hope it’s the right size. Go try it on” he helped me stand up. I went to my dressing room/closet and closed the door. I took the clothing out of the bag and inspected it. One knee-length gray skirt, a white shirt, red jacket, red and gray tie, knee-high gray socks and a pair of black shoes. I sighed as I began to wear the clothes.

“Is the size okay?” Jongdae yelled.

“Yeah” I sadly responded and took a look in the mirror. I stepped out of the dressing room. Chanyeol grinned and clapped his hands.

“You look great!”

 

“Movie night! Movie night! Movie night!” Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Tao chanted as all of us kids were gathered in the theater in our pajamas. I dropped my comforter next to Yixing along with my pillows. I settled myself under my comforter. Yifan sat down to the other side and pulled my comforter towards himself.

“Mine” I said as I tried to pull it away from him. He glared at me.

“Look, we can both fit here.” Yifan made sure that both of us were covered the comforter.

“Which movie are we going to watch?” I threw the question and everyone looked at me.

“Well, since you are new, I think we should let you pick” Jongdae answered, ruffling my hair.

“I only want to watch Disney films and other animations!” I cried out. Luhan laughed softly.

“Then, choose an animation. Whatever you want, Annie” Sehun said with a calm voice. He grabbed the remote control and sat down behind me.

“Could we watch… You know what, I have two options: My Neighbour Totoro or Aladdin. Your choice!”

“No, Annie, you choose.”

“Then My Neighbour Totoro it is!” Sehun chuckled as he went into the digital movie renting place and searched for the movie.

Forty-five minutes into the movie I could feel my eyelids drooping. I loved Totoro, but my lack of sleep the previous night was totally getting to me. Before completely falling asleep, I felt Yixing guiding my head to his shoulder. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys! Fourth chapter is up! ^^

Yifan is in deep remorse after his strawberry/orange juice theft. 

Yeah, I think you're forgiven. *Gif not mine*

I believe I promised a double update sooo.....