Chapter 16: Detective Kim

The House For Broken Teens

After book shopping with Joonmyeon the next day, he drove me home and I went to the living room to chat with Kyungsoo and Minseok.

“Hey. How come you’re home so early?” Kyungsoo asked when he saw me entering the room.  I threw my bags to the floor and plopped down next to him.

“Joonmyeon said that now that I have all the books, we can start properly tomorrow. So he gave me the rest of the day off” I explained.

“Okay. You hungry?”

“Not really. We had lunch.” Minseok turned the TV off and turned to me.

“Hey, is it true that yesterday at dinner you guys totally had like a triangle drama going on?” his almond-shaped eyes were twinkling when he stared at me.

“What? What’s that supposed to mean?” Minseok looked at Kyungsoo before answering me:

“Kyungsoo told me that Joonmyeon was staring at you in awe while Jongin was shamelessly flirting with you.” I glared at Kyungsoo who was mischievously grinning.

“Okay, first of all, Joonmyeon was not staring at me, especially not in ‘awe’, and Jongin was not flirting with me!” I exclaimed angrily. Kyungsoo giggled.

“Oh yeah? Then what was all the whispering about?” 

“He simply told me that Kris and Luhan staring at him made him really uncomfortable. That’s all.” Like magic, my phone started to ring. I dug it out of my pocket and looked at the caller ID.

Jongin.

Kyungsoo peeked at my phone and smiled. He nudged Minseok’s side before greasily saying:

“It’s lover boy calling.” I poked Kyungsoo’s cheek before leaving the living room to answer the phone.

“Hey Jongin.” I heard him clearing his throat.

“Hey Annie.  Guess what, I just talked to my dad.” My heart started pounding. Oh god. ohgodohgod.

“A-and?” I stuttered. Jongin took a deep breath.

“Well, it turned out that he himself was leading the investigation. He said that he already met you once during the interrogations.” I couldn’t remember anyone who I talked to during the interrogations. I couldn’t even look anyone in the eyes, that’s how ashamed I felt about everything. 

“Anyways, he said that he would like to meet you as soon as possible. He suggested tonight at the police station.” I nodded, but then I remembered that I was on the phone.

“Tonight’s fine. Just tell me what time and where.”

“I can send you a time and an address by text. Are you sure that you’re ready for this?” The way Jongin cared about me really warmed my heart.

“I am. Better sooner than later, right?”

“Okay. I’ll be there too to support you. I think it would be better if you didn’t take Kris with you. He’s a bit hot-headed, if you know what I mean.” I laughed. I leaned my back against the wall and slid down so I was sitting on the floor.

“Yeah, I know. He’s really not that bad, though.”

“Yeah. I guess I’ll see you tonight then, huh?”

“Yup. Thank you, Jongin. I owe you. If there’s anything I can do for you, let me know.”

“You’re welcome, love.” I bid goodbye to him and ended the call. I looked over to my left and saw Minseok and Kyungsoo standing in the doorway, smirking.

“You know, Annie, you might want to turn your phone’s volume down a bit. We heard everything you two said” Kyungsoo said. I frowned.

“You heard nothing. You’re just teasing me.”

“Of course we are. Love.” I gasped in shock when I stood up.

“Try telling us now that he’s not flirting with you.”

 

Since the police station was only a few kilometers away from our house, I decided to walk there. I arrived on the steps of the huge station ten minutes before I was supposed to meet Jongin’s dad.  I called Jongin to ask where he was, and he told me to meet in the third floor waiting room. I took the elevator there and as I stepped out, I saw Jongin sitting on one of the sofas there. I walked to him and sat down.

“Hey Jongin.”

“Hey. My dad will call you right in when he’s ready to meet you” he smiled. Not long after, I heard my name being called. I stood up and Jongin did the same. He pointed to the direction of his father’s office. I nodded and headed to that direction. Jongin grabbed my wrist and dramatically spun me around like we were in a lame drama.

“Should I come with you?” he asked in a low tone. I shook my head.

“Thanks, but I think it’s better to go alone.” So I left Jongin standing there alone and went to meet his father. His father was as tall as Kris, but way more muscular. I’m guessing he was in his late forties or early fifties. He held his other hand out for me to shake and held the door open with the other.

“Miranda. Long time no see” he told me when I shook his hand. I bowed and nodded in agreement.

“That’s right, detective Kim.” He ushered me into his office and sat behind his desk.

“Please, take a seat” he said pointing to the chair on the other side of the desk. I politely bowed again.

“Thank you” I answered and sat down. I placed my bag on the floor and put my hands into my lap.

“So, Miranda, how have you been?” the corners of detective Kim’s eyes got wrinkly when he smiled.

“I’ve been good. I’m happy about my new family.” He wrote something down on his notepad and nodded.

“Good, good. Jongin has told me about that. That’s good that you’re in a good family. I have personally known the Song’s for decades. They’re good people.” I nodded.

“They are.”

“I have to say that I was a little surprised when Jongin said that you wanted to talk about your parents’ case” detective said, leaning back on his chair.

“I thought that all of this was something that you just wanted to forget.”

“Well, of course, I would like to forget but… It’s not really possible, as you may understand. And during the original interrogations I was so messed up that I didn’t even know what to say. I just thought that everybody deserves the truth.” I nervously played with my fingers. Detective furrowed his brows.

“What truth are you referring to?” he asked while digging some files out of his drawers. He threw each one of them onto the desk. After opening some of them, detective pushed them towards me, revealing some of the crime scene photos. Photos of the bloody table, dried blood covering all kinds of utensils. A photo of the chair that I had to sit on and watch everything. Photos of the victims’ belongings, such as shoes, watches and belts. I suddenly felt the need to throw up. Holding it in, I looked at detective who was rubbing his chin seriously.

“We were never able to identify the victims because we never found their remains.” he said, staring down at me.

“That’s why I’m here, detective Kim –“ I started weakly. I swallowed the huge lump forming in my throat and continued, this time with more courage:

“I know what happened to the victims’ remains.” 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh Jongin... such a flirt. 

About the GIF this time I have some bad news... 

I was looking for a gif about D.O. and Xiumin but I couldn't find one... *cries in a corner*

But I did find the most adorable picture of those two and I'll share that with you guys right now: 

AAWWWS  ♥ *Picture not mine* 

Thank you for reading and I hope you let me know what you think. Bye!