Chapter 13: Memory loss

The House For Broken Teens

Kris’ POV

The next morning me, Luhan, Baekhyun and Chanyeol told ahjumma and everybody else what had happened during the night. Ahjumma allowed the four of us to take the day off from school to stay and rest with Annie. She had a high fever, and she didn’t remember much from the night before. At lunchtime, I went to her bedroom to see if she was awake. I saw Baekhyun napping on the other side of her bed, while Annie was sleeping restlessly on the other side.

“Guys, I think it’s time to eat something” I said softly. Baekhyun turned around and placed his hand on Annie’s forehead.

“Still no improvement” he stated.

“I don’t want to cut off his fingers…” Annie suddenly mumbled in her sleep. Baekhyun and I shared a confused look and shook her awake.

“Annie, what’s going on?” Annie looked at Baekhyun and then me.

“They want me to cut his fingers off. I know he’s dead already but I still don’t want to hurt him.”

“Who want you to do that, Annie? And who is the ‘he’ that you’re talking about?” Annie didn’t answer me. Instead she sat up and groaned in pain.

“It hurts so much!” she screamed out.

“Where does it hurt?” Baekhyun’s voice trembled. Either he was scared or really worried about her.

“My head. Dad, please turn the chainsaw off. It’s so loud it’s hurting my head even more.” Baekhyun and I told Annie to stay put and dashed out of her room. We powerwalked to the dining room, where Luhan, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo and Minseok were having lunch.

“She really needs a doctor or something” I said, resting my arms on the back of Luhan’s chair.

“Because of the fever?”

“That too. Also she thinks that she’s talking to her parents” Baekhyun said desperately and plopped down next Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo placed his chopsticks on the table and peacefully said:

“I think it’s normal to do that when you have a high fever. You know, like imagine things.” I shook my head.

“She’s now doing it even when she’s awake.” Kyungsoo’s face went white.

“Hyung, sit down and eat lunch. After that, let’s figure out the doctor thing” Chanyeol offered me a plate but I refused.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea to leave her alone for a long time. I think I’d better go see how she’s doing.” Before I had the time to leave, Luhan stood up from his seat and sat me down. He placed the empty plate in front of me and patted my shoulders.

“You, eat. I’ll go with Annie.” Not giving me any time to respond, he ran off.

Luhan’s POV

I walked into Annie’s bedroom, where she was sitting on her bed. She wiped her forehead and sighed.

“Could you please open the window? It’s so hot in here.” I nodded and walked to the window to open it. A cool breeze blew in. I jumped on the bed to sit next to her.

“Annie, don’t you want to eat something?” I asked her, trying to sound as kind and friendly as possible. She shook her head and rubbed her temples.

“I’m not hungry. I actually feel really sick.” With that, she threw a pillow into my lap and rested her head on it. My natural instinct was to her hair softly, and she fell asleep. I looked at the sleeping figure on my lap. At first she was very peaceful, but it didn’t take long for her to start gripping the pillow and the sheets beneath us.

“Please, miss, stop crying. I can’t help you, but it’ll hurt less if you stay still” Annie said as if she was trying to comfort someone.

This poor girl. I felt so sorry for her. Because of her parents, she was suffering from terrible nightmares. And nobody knew if she was ever going to get rid of those. And that damn Jongin, too. If he would’ve stepped up and told us what was going to happen, Annie probably would be fine.

I realized that my hands were clenching into fists, accidentally gripping some of Annie’s hair. I immediately let go and patted her head gently.

“Don’t worry, Annie, we’re all here for you. And as for those bastards-“ I punched my fist into the mattress.

“- If I ever come face to face with them, there will be some asses kicked.”

 

So, later on, Kris called ahjumma and asked her if she knew a doctor who could come to see Annie. Ahjumma made some calls, and a few hours later we opened the door to an old, short man, who was carrying a doctor’s bag and a friendly smile. We waited anxiously in the dining room while he was up in Annie’s room. I couldn’t help but worry that he would hurt her too.

After waiting for half an hour, the doctor emerged from Annie’s room. He handed Kris a bottle of pills. I wasn’t really paying attention to what he was saying, but it was something about stress and trauma and hallucinations caused by those two or something. He also said that without the pills her current condition might last for months, but with them she should be fine a few days. Before leaving, the doctor said something that was bothering me:

“This medication will worsen her condition for some time. You can expect memory loss, sleeplessness and aggressiveness. If she’s not better by Sunday night, please give me another call. And also, I suggest that you lock her bedroom door and windows so she can’t get out.”

After closing the door behind the doctor, Kris turned around towards us and inspected the bottle of pills in his hand.

“Wow” he huffed.

“I know.” The look on Chanyeol’s face was equally upset.

“We can’t lock her into her bedroom” Baekhyun tugged on Kris’ sleeve with a pleading expression. Kris shook him off and walked towards the kitchen.

“Look, Baekhyun, it’s for her own good, okay? It sounds really extreme but I trust this doctor. And she should be fine by Sunday, right? Today’s Thursday so it’s only for a few days. Besides, how bad can she possibly get?”

Wu Yi Fan, how naïve could you possibly be?

We locked her windows and doors. Thursday night we gave her the first pill, and that’s when all hell broke loose.  For the whole night, she was screaming and crying and banging on the door, trying to get us to let her out. It broke my heart to hear her doing that. Around four am, she finally stopped it and the house was quiet again.

And with the morning pill it began again.

Saturday night she quieted down around midnight, and when we went to check in on her on Sunday morning, she had miraculously recovered. She was peacefully sleeping, holding her teddy bear close to her. She woke up when we entered.

“Good morning, oppa” Annie mumbled when she sat up in her bed and rubbed her eyes. Tao sprinted towards her and hugged her tightly. The rest of us also climbed up on her bed, except for Kris who stood in the middle of the room.

“Annie, do you remember who we are?” She laughed at Jongdae’s question like it was the stupidest thing in the world.

“Of course I do. Why wouldn’t I? Look, I’ll prove it to you.” She pointed her finger at me.

“You’re Luhan, that’s Baekhyun, those are Chanyeol and Sehun, you’re Jongdae, he’s Yixing, he’s Totoro-Kris, and this little clingy monkey that’s trying to suffocate me is Tao.” Kris clapped his hands in approval while Tao glared at Annie because she called him a ‘monkey.’

“Why aren’t you at school? It is Thursday right?” Everybody’s smiles faded away.

Memory loss, indeed.

“Actually, sweetie, it’s Sunday” Kris answered calmly, clearly trying hard to keep his cool.

“What happened to Thursday, Friday and Saturday then?”

“That’s kind of a long story. What’s the last thing that you remember?”

“I remember… That Wednesday night, after saying good night to you, I found Yixing-oppa in the pool room, I took him to bed and then I went to sleep myself. Then at some point I had a nightmare and then I left my bedroom but that’s… That’s where everything pretty much blacks out.” Annie was furiously rubbing her temples like she was trying to bring her memory back. I ruffled her hair after which she smoothed her hair out and glared at me.

“You hungry?” I asked her. She nodded swiftly.

“Starving. I feel like I haven’t eaten anything in days.” I smiled.

“Okay then. Let’s go eat breakfast.” I waved my hand towards the door, making everybody get up. Everyone except Annie.

“Aren’t you coming?” Jongdae asked her. She smiled innocently.

“I might… If I get a piggyback ride.” Kris huffed loudly.

“You cheeky little thing” he exclaimed before walking over to Annie and turning his back to her.

“Come on. Get on.” Kris motioned Annie to climb on. She squealed before standing up and falling forward onto his back.

“Hold on then” Kris said before leaving the bedroom. We let him lead the way. Tao, however, ran in front of Kris and looked at him disappointedly.

“Hyung, why does Annie get piggyback rides whenever she wants to but I don’t?!”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Despite this hotness I've managed to put up another chapter *claps and nods in approval*

I guess that I really have nothing special to say right now... 

EXCEPT THAT GUISE I HAVE 10 SUBSCRIBERS! oh gosh you guys... thank you so much! Ten is a huge number for me so THANK YOU! i love you guise

As a reward imma give you another character in chapter 15 which you might have to wait for a couple days but I think that you survive (:

Tao didn't get a piggyback ride =( *Gif not mine*