The Art of War

As The World Turns

3:00 a.m. [Condo, Seoul]

After recieving the call from my brother, I quickly made my way through my contact list and was preparing for all my Yakuza allies to arrive at my condo. Keito told me that I had the clearance to use whatever resources I felt was necessary to hunt down Jessica. In turn, I've just called upon my operatives to track down where the call came from and also any known Triad bases around Seoul. 

As I'm pacing through my apartment, I hear someone arrive at the door and I quickly answer it because time is of the essence.

You: "Hello?"

Suzy: "Hello oppa!"

You: "Suzy? What're you doing here?"

Suzy: "Hmm? I came here with the units you requested. JYP sunbae sent 30 of his best men to help you."

You: "Oh, I see. Well, tell them to make themselves at home while I prepare everything."

For the next few minutes, I made sure my guests were comfortable while we waited for the reinforcements from Japan to arrive. 

In no time, the doorbell rang again and I was pleasantly surprised by who exactly Keito had sent to help me here in Seoul.

You: "I can't believe it."

Keito: "I can't let you have all the fun, can I? Anyways, I brought the rest of your 'Akuma' group here too."

Yakuza Personel: "'Akuma'? Like the ones who eradicated the entire Sicilian mob during their war for territory in Japan?"

Keito: "The very same. However, for the past few years, the group has been inactive because they're missing their leader."

You: "Well, I guess there's a time to comeback from retirement."

Keito: "Retirement? You're only 27!"

You: "Well, I guess I should bring out the suit once again. "

I made my way into my room to look for a suit that I never thought I would be needed to use once again. When I left Japan so years ago, I had hoped to leave my bloody deeds behind, but I guess now was a time where I was glad that I helped Keito's family when they needed my help. 

Finding my suit, I quickly put it on and made my way to where everyone else was waiting for me. 

Keito: "Well, looks like the legendary 'Akuma' has returned from the dead."

Suzy: "Oppa? Aren't you fighting? Why do you have such a nice suit on?"

You: "It's Prada, and it matches with my nickname."

Keito: "After all... the devil wears Prada."

Suddenly, I recieved a text message with the coordinates of three possible locations where my brother and his Triad allies could be hiding Jessica. Keito and I split the core group of about 45 men into 15 men each to attack the seperate locations. Once we had everything planned out, we proceeded to assemble our weapons and split up into our respective groups.

You: "Suzy, can you watch the condo for me?"

Suzy: "What're you talking about? I'm going to fight!"

You: "No you're not, I'm not going to endanger you because of my own needs."

Suzy: "It's okay! I want to fight next to you oppa!"

You: "You have a career to think about too. You're going to stay here and that's final."

Keito: "Let her go. I'm sure she won't get in the way."

You: "That's not what I'm worried about."

Keito: "Since when did you care about anything but yourself?"

You: "Since the person we're trying to save told me to..."

Keito: "Wow. That woman really managed to get inside that thick head of yours didn't she?"

You: "Whatever. Suzy can come, but she stays with me."

Keito: "Of course. She has to be protected by the best."

You: "I know. Put a suppressor on a pistol for her."

Keito: "Still prefer the silent approach?"

You: "Be as hard to know as the shadow..."

Keito: "Move as fast as the lightning." 

You: "The Art of War."

Keito: "You've always been a stickler of strategy."

3:30 a.m. [Seoul]

We've all gone our seperate ways and my group is headed for a location just outside of Seoul near the airport in Incheon. the rest of the group is in SUVs while Suzy and I are leading the way in my new Porsche. After some time, we arrived at the location and it seems like there's heavy security on the inside and out of this place. Just in case, I called in to JYP to get extra reinforcements ready just in case we need them. 

Once all 15 of my men were in position, I ordered a quick assault to eliminate the guards out front. 

If this was me of the past, I would've led a full frontal assault on the place, but I wasn't the same person. On top of that, I had to worry about Jessica's wellbeing inside should I go in guns blazing. Even worse, I not only had to make sure I was safe and unwounded, but I had to make sure Suzy wasn't in the line of fire either. 

As we slowly made progress towards the interior, we faced significantly more formidable opposition from the Triad units that were already stationed inside the building. Soon, I found myself inside a corridor with about 10 doors. Hurriedly, I made my way through each of the doors, checking to see any signs of Jessica. 

When I reached the last door, I entered more than prepared to shoot down whoever was standing on the other side because Jessica had to be on the other side. 

As I opened the door, what I saw next shook me to the core of my being. For the first time, I felt honestly helpless and weak, I felt like there was nothing left but to roll over and die. 

What I saw when I opened that door...

Nothing...

The Next Day  [Condo, Seoul]

Nothing! That's what we achieved yesterday. Neither of the locations we raided led to anything, all we did was kill off a bunch of Triad men. 

I've been sitting here all day trying to formulate how in the world I would be able to find her. Since yesterday, I've felt this feeling that I haven't felt in such a long time. For the first time in forever, I felt...

Broken

Defeated

Helpless

Alone

Just as I was about to continue wallowing in my sadness, I recieved a notification for a video call. Wondering who would call me, I decided to check who it was...

SNSD

Hesitantly, I answered the call to see eight worried faces looking at me with the same feeling in their eyes that I had. They too felt helpless and broken, and I had everything to do with why. In my broken Korean, I tried my best not to burden them any further with having to think about what they were going to say. 

You: "Girls..."

Sunny: "It's okay oppa, you don't have to use Korean..."

You: "No girls, I can understand it well enough, don't stress yourselves..."

Yuri: "If you say so oppa...."

You: "I'm sorry..."

Tiffany: "You did nothing wrong..."

You: "No, this is all my fault. I didn't protect her well enough, I lost her."

Taeyeon: "We all failed in some way, there's no single person to blame."

You: "I thought you girls hated me?"

Tiffany: "We've seen and heard about all you're doing to find her oppa. I guess Jessica was right after all, you really are a caring person on the inside."

You: "Thank you so much, but I've failed you. Everyhting I've done hasn't even been close to finding her."

Seohyun: "We know you'll find her oppa. Aren't you world famous for winning in the courtroom?"

You: "I guess so, but this is no courtroom..."

Taeyeon: "That's true, but the one thing you do better than anyone else is win."

Tiffany: "On top of that, you have even better motivation to fight until the last breath."

Yoona: "Because if you truly love somebody-"

Hyoyeon: "Wouldn't you fight to the ends of the Earth for them?"

You: "You're right girls."

Taeyeon: "So, oppa, promise us you'll bring our Sica back home safely?"

You: "I promise."

9:00 p.m. [Condo, Seoul]

All day, I've been trying to formulate a plan, some way, I had to get her back. Reaching no forseeable end, I decided to call Keito over so that we could develop a plan together. 

Keito: "So, what do we do?"

You: "I don't know."

Keito: "I can't believe it, for the first time since I've met you. You actually don't know what to do."

You: "Humbling, isn't it?"

Keito: "We should wait."

You: "For what?"

Keito: "To make ourselves look weak."

You: " 'Appear stron when you are weak, and weak when you are strong' "

Keito: "Exactly. That's what we want to do."

You: "The Art of War can only get us so far."

Keito: "Maybe you're right, but do we have any other choice?"

You: "I guess not."

He then moved away from my side, but came back with a bottle of scotch and two glasses.

Keito: "Want a drink?"

You: "No, I don't drink anymore."

Keito: "You were a borderline alcoholic. How did you suddenly just stop an old habit?"

You: "Jessica told me to."

Keito: "That woman, she really changed a lot in you. Whether you know it or not, she has changed you. For good or bad, she has done something I thought was impossible."

You: "Right now, one of those changes is for the worse."

Keito: "What change is that?"

You: "Look at all those people in the streets, they live every day trying to survive and make a living for themselves and their families. In reality, they lead a life based on fear, a fear that they won't be able to survive. Right now, for the first time in my life, I'm afraid and I don't know what to do about it."

Keito: "Then why do you keep fighting for her?"

You: "The way I look at it, she's special, she's worth more than all the material things money can buy. I have all the money, it's not going to ever be a problem for me, but the way she makes me feel, that's something I'll never be able to find. In all honesty, I'm willing to die because of this feeling. She makes me feel loved and what it feels like to love someone, I wanted to open up and change myself when she asked, there was no persuading there."

Keito: "I didn't ask about how she made you feel, I asked why do you keep fighting for her."

You: "A soldier who has motivation will be able to level even the largest mountain."

Keito: "So, what will the motivated soldier do now?"

You: "Wait."

Keito: "You're going to wait that your brother shows his weaknesses too?"

You: "Exactly."

Keito: "Why are you all of a sudden agreeing with my ideas?"

You: " I once read a book that said 'all human wisdom is within these words -- wait and hope.' "

Keito: "And you're just fine with that choice of strategy?"

You: "What else do we have?"

Keito: "Nothing much, I guess."

You: "Sometimes, we have to make choices in our lives that are often difficult and hard to comprehend. Like, choosing to let someone see our true identities. Or, allowing someone past the barriers we have around our hearts. In the end, we just have to make those choices and never look back..."