Changes and Revivals

As The World Turns

Two weeks later [First Class, San Francisco International Airport]

So, these past few weeks since the beginning of the new year have met me with a lot of turnover in my life. 

However, I don't feel any regrets or any bit of sentiments in my choice to leave everything I found comfortable in the way I lived. It was almost relieving to be able to leave everything behind and start on a clean slate in another country, even though I had no idea how to speak the language... 

The plane was about to take off so I decided to check my accounts to ensure that my boss had wired over the $100,000 to my account. 

Afterwards, I decided to take a nap as I had a long trip ahead of me. 

Three Hours Later [First Class, Somewhere over the Pacific Ocean]

After waking from my nap, I felt like I needed to go to the restroom so I headed out of my pod in search of a restroom.

Since it seems all the restrooms in first class were occupied, I had no choice but to use the restroom in the economy section. 

As I finished my business in the restroom, I walked out to see a father telling his wife and kids a joke that all of them loved. 

Normally, I could care less about this kind of thing, but this time it made my heart feel heavy.

At the same time that my heart became heavy,

it also felt unnaturally empty.

Two Hours Later [First Class, Somewhere over the Pacific Ocean]

Even after watching a movie to keep my mind and heart off the feeling I felt when I saw that happy family, I still couldn't escape my thoughts. 

In response, I turned to the only things I knew how to do.

Drink.

And Work.

So, I ordered a glass of wine and I proceded to open the file my boss had given me earlier this month that gave me an accurate report of the people I would be dealing with as counsel. 

Okay, let's go over it again. 

I'm going to be helping with the contract negotiations between an entertainment agency and their "workers"?

Well, it actually says "idols", but I'm not all too familiar with calling employees in a company "idols". 

So, the agency went by the name of SM, at least that's what it said on the file. 

Looking at the annual earnings report of the company, it seems like this is not your run-of-the-mill entertainment company.

Now that I know the company I would be providing my services to, I decided I should know exactly who I would be dealing with when it came down to the negotiations.

As I dug deeper into the file, I found out that I would be negotiating with a girls' group that was supposed to be world renowned or something like that. How come I never heard of them?

Hmmmm... it says here they go by Girls' Generation or SNSD. Such a peculiar name for a group. Then again, what do I know about the entertainment industry?

As to be expected, I got a report on each of the members in the group. 

Looking through each of their files, I got a broad understanding and look at the kind of people I would be dealing with in the contract negotiations. 

They were all pretty, I had to say that. But most of them were just that, pretty. 

Being a man of stature back in the United Sates, I was far too used to seeing pretty faces.

But then again, it was just most of them that were just pretty.

However, one of them seemed to resonate with me.

She was gorgeous, and I hardly say that about any woman. 

As I dozed off after reading all the files, the last thing I remember was seeing the name of that one woman as it kept running through my mind as to how much she mesmerized me. 

Her name kept ringing as I fell asleep...

Jessica Jung

Unknown Time [Unknown, Unknown]

I opened my eyes and looked around me.

I'm in somekind of hallway.

Hmmm? Wasn't I on an airplane just a minute ago? 

What happened?

Wait, I hear someone calling my name.

I know that voice, but it can't be, this shouldn't be happening.

She can't be here. 

She needs to be as far away from me as possible.

The voice is getting closer and the calling is turning to screaming.

Why? Why are you here?

I can't think of anything to do but to just run, run as far away from here as possible, she must be avoided.

There's a door. 

Yes, that must be my way out.

I open it, and the scene that unfolds is all too familiar.

There she is, the woman I so stupidly gave all of my heart and my soul, making love to another man. 

All of the feelings I tucked away so deep inside my heart are returning, the pain and suffering rears its ugly head once again. 

Suddenly, all turns to black and I'm all alone again.

Even in this solace I find myself being eaten alive by feelings of regret and wasted love, the fact that I was once so willing to give my all to someone who never truly shared my feelings. 

When I thought that my demons would stop haunting my life, they came back.

As I felt myself being pulled from this dream land...

I heard her wretched voice reminding me the painful lesson I learned from her so many years ago...

"Don't let them see a weakness in you, don't show them that you care, because in the end, they will leave you for dead..." 

Four Hours Later [First Class, Somewhere over the Pacific Ocean]

That dream I had was weird. Well, whatever, it probably doesn't mean anything anyways. I mean, it's always best to leave the past in the past and move on into our future, right?

4:00 p.m. [Incheon International Airport, South Korea]

So, the plane has successfully landed here in Korea and it seems like it's the afternoon here. As I pass through customs and retrieve my luggages, I can't help but notice that I'm getting stared at by people. 

Well, I mean, you're average traveller doesn't bring a Louis Vuitton trunk with them when they travel, so that must be the reason why. 

Walking past the multitude of people that arrived along with me I'm greeted by someone that goes by the name of Kim Sung. 

"Hello, there sir. I'm here to aide you in bringing your belongings into your car and handing it over to you", he said in a heavy Korean accent.

Thank God he tried to speak English, otherwise we'd get nowhere. 

Whilst analyzing him, I said," Thank you, have the proper arrangments been made for my housing and transportation?"

"Yes sir, you'll go to the SM building first, then I will take you to your house."

"Sounds like a plan. Where's the car?"

As he pointed to a car pulling up, he said," There."

Hmmm... I guess they really didn't screw me over, a G-Class isn't all too bad to have during my time here. 

One Hour Later [SM Ent., Seoul, South Korea]

As I walk into the massive reception area, I'm greeted by several shareholders and high-ranking people within this entertainment agency. They all seem ready to appease my needs, at least my reputation precedes me. 

They lead me up to an office and then a girl walks in with an unnaturally big smile. 

She walks up to me and says, in almost perfect English," Hi there, I'm Tiffany, I'll be working with you as you help with the negotiations with the rest of my group members"

With a cold stare, I reply," Oh, great. Let's get started then, I don't want to be dealing for too long today, I still need to get comfortable with my living arrangement here in Seoul."

"Well then, let's get these negotiations under way then?", she asked with that smile of hers again.

2 Hours Later [SM Ent., Seoul, South Korea]

After serving as the primary lawyer in the negotiations with Tiffany, the company and her have seemed to reach a viable agreement. 

It seems that aside from the regular pay-raise and other monetary allowances, her contract is the same as before. Although, she did push for the removal of one clause in her contract...

If I remember it correctly, she said she wanted the No Dating clause removed from her contract.

I didn't understand why such a thing would exist, but I am not the one in charge of these policies, I'm just here to ensure that everything meets the legal standards. 

I checked the time on my watch, 7:00 p.m..

I think I have time to negotiate another contract, so I gave Sung the signal and he alerted the next member of their turn. 

I don't quite remember what happened directly afterwards, but all I know was that I was once again stunned beyond my own comprehension. For the first time in my life, I was dumbstruck and in almost at the creature before me. Dear Lord, everything I had ever built up about my persona seemed to be melting away. 

She walked in with an ice cold glare and said in a cold tone," Hello, I'm Jessica Jung"

Quickly snapping back to my senses, I returned the glare and said," Good evening, let's get this started before it get's too late." 

If she wants to be cold, two can play that game. I have yet to meet someone I couldn't break...

12:00 a.m. [SM Ent., Seoul, South Korea]

Now I'm sitting here looking out at the rain and the streets outside my office thinking about just how a woman who had, to my knowledge, no experience dealing in negotiations like the one we had a mere three hours ago.

It stunned me, how I could be unsuccessful in gaining the upper hand. 

Even if there was no real losing. 

I felt like I lost. 

She had broken me, a simple music artist had broken ME.

No matter how hard I tried, she wouldn't budge. Her terms were by no means excessive and over done, but in the interests of my clients I tried to get them the best situation possible with their "idol".

That's the key to the entire equation though. 

tried.

And I proceded to fail.

Not letting myself be engrossed over such a simple matter, I decided to head home. 

Grabbing my coat, I saw the paper Sung had left for me with my new address on it when I dissmissed him. 

Quickly, I made my way past the reception desk and walked outside into the cold and rain. 

As I was about to walk off to the parking structure, I saw a figure sitting and shivering off to the side. 

Normally, I wouldn't care one bit for this, but something was pulling me towards this person. 

Quietly, I made my way over to this person and tapped their shoulder.

As the person turned around I realized who it was, and it seemed like they were crying. Or maybe they were just wet from the rain?

But then it hit me, I know who this is... 

Jessica

I quietly said as not to startle her,"Hey, what're you doing here? Shouldn't you be at home?"

Giving me a cold stare after realizing it was me, she replied,"Oh, it's you. I'm waiting for someone."

What the hell did she mean by "Oh, it's you."? Hmph, it's not my duty to be a good samaritan and when I finally choose to be nice and this is the kind of attitude I get? 

After regaining a grasp of the situation, I said,"Are you waiting for your manager? They should've taken you home after we concluded the negotiations hours ago..."

"No, I told him I would be picked up by a friend"

"And what time will your friend get here?"

She looked embarrassed and tried to mumble under her breath,"Two hours ago..."

Seeing her reaction, I quickly gave her a condescending look and said,"Two hours? Doesn't sound like a good friend to me. Is this 'friend' a guy?"

Again, she looked embarrased, but she replied in a firm voice,"You don't need to know."

"Well, he's not a keeper if he left you here out in the rain. Get up and get in the car."

Looking shocked by my statement, she stuttered to say," What?"

"I said come on and get in the car, I'm not gonna leave you out here in the rain all by yourself"

She quickly got up and almost yelled,"What are you thinking!? Why would I just come join someone I hardly even know? I know what kind of stuff could happen to me!"

After hearing this, I shrugged and smugly said,"If that's what you think of me, so be it. Have a good night madam, I'll be heading home now."

I proceded to walk out towards my car but stopped when I heard footsteps running behind me. 

Once again she looked exasperated by my comment but she ran up to me and exclaimed,"Fine!"

Pitying her lack of warmth, I took off my trenchcoat and wrapped it around her shoulders and proceded to whisper,"I won't do anything. I mean, why would I lower myself to do something with someone like you?"

She gave me her cold stare again as I smirked at her reaction. 

Thinking I wasn't paying attention she mumbled,"Arrogant prick."

Smirking once again, I wrapped an arm around her shoulder and whispered in her ear,"You're gonna have to try harder on your insults ma'am. I've heard that one before, Ms. Jung."