The Truth?

As The World Turns

Four Hours Later (Your POV) [Incheon International Airport, South Korea]

I wasn't able to sleep at all last night. Now, I'm waiting for Taeyeon to come out of the restroom because she didn't go when I told her to when I picked her up. My mind hasn't been able to rest since that incident with Suzy last night. On top of not knowing where my fiance and child are, I'm still trying to wrap my mind and heart around why I felt so devastated when Suzy left last night? Well, I just hope I can get some sleep on the plane. Taeyeon should be out any moment now.

Taeyeon: "OPPA! I"M BACK!"

You: "That took you a while..."

Taeyeon: "Well, thanks for waiting anyways. Are you ready?"

Taeyeon seems pretty giddy right now. I wonder why? In fact, she's been like this ever since we made the plans for both of us to follow Jessica to Shanghai. It's kind of weird how comfortable she's gotten with me around. For someone who's the "leader" of their group, she definetely has a very childish side of her. It's actually kind of cute, that is until she does something very childish and I have to worry about her wellbeing...

You: "Why are you so hyper?"

Taeyeon: "Because..."

You: "Because?"

Taeyeon: "I get to go on vacation for a while!"

You: "Really? I thought we were going to find Jessica?"

Taeyeon: "We are! Until then, it's just the two of us on vacation!"

You: "What does that mean?"

Taeyeon: "You have to spoil me like you spoil Sica! Otherwise, I won't help you..."

You: "You only hang around me to use my money..."

Taeyeon: "Maybe..."

2 Hours Later [Shanghai, China]

We slept the entire time on the plane. I've never been the type to watch people as they sleep, but Taeyeon really is a little kid on the inside. Even in her sleep, she looked much less than her years. Well, I guess I should wake her up. We have a few hours until night falls, so I guess we could go to the house Jessica's parent's own here in Shanghai. I just hope we're welcome there. 

You: "Taeyeon, get up!"

Taeyeon: "Five minutes...."

You: "We're already here."

Taeyeon: "Can we go to the hotel then? I still want to sleep."

You: "Fine..."

Great, instead of getting to work right away, we're going to go the hotel already. Well, I guess we can just get to work tomorrow. I booked us two rooms at the best hotel here in Shanghai and I rented both a car and driver so that we could get around without much hassle. After going through customs, we made it to our car and were on our way to the hotel.

Taeyeon: "Where are we going?"

You: "The hotel."

Taeyeon: "Don't you want to look for Sica?"

You: "We'll do it tomorrow. For now, you can enjoy your free time."

Taeyeon: "Really?"

You: "Only if you promise that we'll work for most of tomorrow."

Taeyeon: "Sounds like a deal."

You: "So, today's your day. Where do we go?"

Taeyeon: "Shopping?"

You: "If you say so.... Driver, take us to the nearest mall please."

Driver: "Yes sir."

1 Hour Later [Mall, Shanghai, China]

We got to the mall some 15 minutes later and we went to go get something to eat and now Taeyeon has to go to the restroom again. Now, I'm out here waiting in the hallway outside the restroom and I think I just saw someone I did business back in San Francisco with walk into the restroom. If I remember right, his name was Tyler Kwon? Well, if he was that guy, I know he really hates me after how badly I ruined his investment plans in San Francisco. Wait, he's walking out of the restroom now, maybe it really is him? I think he recognized me, he's walking towards me.

Tyler: "My, my, I can't believe I'd see you here."

You: "And you are?"

Tyler: "Still the same as always. What is---"

You: "A heartless head like me doing here?"

Tyler: "Read my mind exactly."

You: "When I'm not ruining your investment plans, I like to enjoy myself by indulging in my winnings."

Tyler: "Well, I guess I'll get going now. I hope I never have to see you again."

You: "I'm waiting until I get to whoop you again."

Tyler: "Douche."

He then began to walk away from me with an annoyed face and I couldn't help but smirk. If it weren't for me and my clients, he would have completed a business acquisition that would have made him over $300 million, I guess he still hates me for it. Well, what can I do? I win, that's just what I do. Well, Taeyeon is on her way out of the restroom and she looks confused as to why I have a smirk. 

Taeyeon: "What's with the smirk?"

You: "Just saw something funny."

Taeyeon: "Can I know what it is?" 

You: "Maybe later."

Two Hours Later [Mall, Shanghai, China]

Taeyeon and I have been shopping for a while now and she's in the dressing room trying on some clothes. She's burnt a pretty deep hole in my wallet and she's still going. However, she's actually been really fun to have around for the day and I guess I really needed a day off like this after all that's happened. I'm going to go get some coffee for the both of us and I think I saw Tyler again. Looking to see who he's with, I really wanted to just rub it into the poor person's face about how much I was better than him. When I saw who it was, my heart dropped and all the relief I had felt on my "day off" disappeared. Putting on my sunglasses, I got closer to check if my vision wasn't messing with me. 

No, there's no denying it.

It's definitely her.

But why is she here with him?

Jessica, were you not mourning?

Out of curiosity, I got closer to them trying to hear what they were talking about. From this distance, I heard something about pregnancy. Maybe they were friends and she was just telling him about her being pregnant? Maybe they just saw each other here and were just cathcing up? Wanting to clearly hear what they were saying, I got even closer to catch their conversation. 

Jessica: "I'm sure it's yours."

Tyler: "Are you sure? This is pretty serious."

Jessica: "I'm 95% sure that it's yours and not his."

Tyler: "How? Wasn't he last?"

Jessica: "Yeah, but you were first. So, I'm giving you benefit of the doubt."

No way. Weren't they just talking about her being pregnant? That can't be. This entire time, I layed everything on the line, for a lie? Has everything I've fought for been a lie? I need to get away. Right now, I feel so alone and broken. I'll just go back to Taeyeon and just think about it tonight. 

I've made my way back to the store and Taeyeon was glad to see the coffees in my hands, but I think she noticed how depressed I actually felt. She looks concerned for me, I must give her credit, she really is a natural born leader. She hasn't even openly asked me what I'm thinking and she's already taken a much lighter aproach towards me. 

Taeyeon: "Oppa, is there something wrong?"

You: "No."

Taeyeon: "Stop lying. I know there's something wrong."

You: "Really, there's nothing wrong."

Taeyeon: "Just tell me. I'll just keep bothering you if you don't."

You: "I'm just tired."

Taeyeon: "Why didn't you tell me? Let's go back to the hotel then!"

You: "Okay, I'm sorry your free day got cut off. I'll make it up to you later."

Taeyeon: "Don't worry about it oppa! You bought me so much nice stuff!"

10:00 p.m. [Hotel, Shanghai]

Taeyeon and I made our way to the hotel and went into our respective rooms. With so much on my mind, I went to sleep right away. After waking up, I didn't feel any better so I decided to distract myself by taking Taeyeon out for the night. So, I made some calls to the local theatre and bought two tickets to a play. I texted Taeyeon an hour or so ago to get dressed nicely for the night and I picked up some flowers. Now, I'm at her door waiting for her to answer.

Taeyeon: "Hey oppa! Did you get enough sleep?"

You: "Yeah, thanks for asking."

Taeyeon: "Nice suit. Is it Armani?"

You: "Thanks for noticing. Isn't that the dress we just bought?"

Taeyeon: "Mmhmm. Where are we going?"

You: "Theatre."

Taeyeon: "I didn't know you were a fan of plays."

You: "I'm not."

Taeyeon: "Then why are we going?"

You: "I'm a Taeyeon fan."

Taeyeon: "What is that supposed to mean?"

You: "I'm a fan of anything you enjoy."

Taeyeon: "Are you sure you're okay oppa?"

You: "Yeah, don't worry about me."

Taeyeon: "I know you have a lot of stuff going on with Sica and--"

You: "The only thing I have going on tonight is you."

Handing her the flowers and taking her arms in between mine, we made our way to the car so that we could go on to watch the play.

3 Hours Later [Hotel, Shanghai]

After the play, we had some dinner and Taeyeon looked like she enjoyed herself. I'm glad that she enjoyed it because I was hardly able to focus on what was happening in front of me. That conversation between Jessica and Tyler really bothered me, Now, Taeyeon and I are sharing a few drinks in my hotel room and we're just having a good conversation. 

You: "Did you have fun today?"

Taeyeon: "Yup! Thanks for everything oppa!"

You: "Hey, Taeyeon do you know Tyler Kwon?"

Taeyeon: "Um... He's more of a close friend of Sica's. Why?"

You: "I think I saw him at the mall earlier, he's just someone I did business with in San Francisco."

Taeyeon: "You should have told me! He might know where Sica is!"

You: "Is that so..."

Taeyeon: "Sorry to bring it up oppa. It's okay, we'll find her. Are you okay oppa?"

You: "I don't know..."

She got next to me and hugged me. I hugged her back and I could feel her trying to take away all the pain I was feeling. She didn't understand why I felt so down, but she just tried her best to console me. In my pain, in her trying to comfort me, our faces got unconciously close to each other. Suddenly, we found ourselves staring into each other's eyes. In a moment, we broke into a passionate kiss and I felt some of the pain being taken away. We just continued like that for a few minutes and we made our way to the bedroom. 

We continued our kissing in the bedroom, but we only got that far. As I lay above her on the bed, we both regained our senses and got off of each other. There was an awkward silence and then Taeyeon began to move off of the bed as if trying to escape the moment. This time, I followed my urge and pulled her back to me on the bed.

Taeyeon: "Oppa, this is wrong."

You: "I know."

Taeyeon: "Don't you love Sica? Why do you want me to stay?"

You: "This isn't love. Isn't that clear to see?"

Taeyeon: "Then why?"

You: "Please darling, just stay with me."

Taeyeon: "Why?"

You: "I just need you here tonight. Please."

Taeyeon: "Oppa, I've never seen you like this. Are you that hurt?"

You: "Yes."

Taeyeon: "What do you want me to do?"

You: "Just lay with me so it doesn't hurt."

Feeling my pain, she got next to me on the bed. At first, she resisted, but we just wound up hugging each other to sleep. I wasn't looking for anything else, I just needed someone to accompany me for the night. When I felt so alone, I just needed her presence to help me feel less lonely. Slowly, we both fell asleep in each other's arms. 

4:30 a.m. [Hotel, Shanghai, China]

I just got up to get a drink of water and I can't sleep again. Taeyeon was fast asleep next to me and she looked as peaceful as an angel. Now, I find myself thinking about things while looking over the view from my hotel room. 

I guess I have to accept the fact that it was all a lie. 

Jessica.

Love.

The baby.

It was all a lie. 

It hurts so much, but why was I so emotional?

It's not a good thing. If I didn't have self-control, things might have escalated between Taeyeon and I.

But it felt so comforting.

Everything with her.

I felt safe from the pain, from the lies.

What am I going to do?

Two Hours Later [Airport, Shanghai, China]

Not being able to sleep, I decided to leave everything behind and go back to the United States and continue my practice of law over there. I've decided not to continue my life here, seeing as it was all a lie. Perhaps, I should really just be happy with my money and live the rest of my life as I did before meeting her. I've prepared all my bags and I've gone to the airport and bought an airplane ticket. I had everything arranged for Taeyeon's expenses in Shanghai to be paid in full from my bank accounts and I also sent a letter to Jessica's parent's house. Now, I go off to return to the life I once thought I would never see again.

Three Hours Later (3rd Person POV) [Jung Residence, Shanghai, China]

Jessica has been staying at her parent's home in Shanghai and she went out to get the mail. Usually, there's nothing for her in the mail since she has only been here for about a week, or even less. However, she felt an unnatural force telling her to check the mail. Noticing a letter addressed to her, she read the letter in her room. 

Jessica,

Perhaps it would have been better for me to have faced you about this, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. What is it that I'm talking about? Why, It's the truth. The truth about your pregnancy. I was the one who gave you everything, the one who took the fall. Now, if there's nothing I can gain from this, it'd be the knowledge you gave me when I think I heard it all. You're probably sleeping like an angel next to the true father of your child. 

Nothing lasts forever, and we both know hearts can change. We've gone through so much together, but there's no way to escape the pain. Now, I just need some time on my own to think over these events. That's what I need. Some time. All alone.

Maybe one day, we can take some time to set everything straight between us. Maybe then I can rest easy at night knowing that, perhaps, you were actually mine. When I find out all the reasons, maybe I'll find another way, find another day. With all the changing seasons of my life, maybe I'll get it right next time. 

Until then...

Everything we once had is dead.

As I am dead.

Marry your true love.